Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Poll [CLOSED] Episode 2: Would you Pay?

funkytowel

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

Evil Trout Posted:

Heh, this thread will never die! I responded in the other thread and I should clear some things up:

While it’s great to hear your input we don’t want you guys to get worked up about it because we honestly haven’t decided for ourselves.

I can promise that we’ve never discussed or considered a recurring fee like WoW. We’d need a much bigger universe to pull that off.

Secondly, there will always be free content to play here. And we have plans for more free content and upgrades to existing content as time goes on. We’re not going to shut the doors and be like “PAYEES ONLY” Log in to see images!

Finally, we have never considered charging existing donors money to play. I promised in the other thread that if you’ve already paid us anything before Episode 2’s official announcement you will get in without additional cost. We’re not out to penalize everyone who’s been generous so far!

I should also point out that we’re looking into SMS payments, but sadly that hasn’t been so easy so far. So many different countries with different rules Log in to see images!

While i don’t think i would pay for content and missions i might pay a few broniwe points to play as a permnerb or hacker.Log in to see images! funkytowel edited this message on 03/07/2008 7:07PM

pOOpey

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

funkytowel Posted:

While i don’t think i would pay for content and missions i might pay a few broniwe points for to play as a permnerb or hacker.Log in to see images!

Yup, replay as other clbum & special clbumes, I’d pay for.

OO

Fez

[RPG Codex]

Level 14 Troll

“Inflammatory Agent ”

Replaying as other clbumes does at a lot of fun to the game. There’s nice little touches here and there.

Fez edited this message on 03/07/2008 9:04PM

nanalatinoje-
sus gets you-
JUSTICE IN -
YOUR FORUMS

Avatar: nanalatinojesus gets you JUSTICE IN YOUR FORUMS's

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 26 Troll

I SHOULD POST MORE BUT I DON'T BECAUSE YOU'RE ALL REALLY LAME

I probably wouldn’t. There’s honestly no way I’d be able to. And even with content available to those who didn’t pay, I’d probably be ****ed that there’s better content I’m not able to get, and probably quit.

Oh, and if you do decide to have pay2play, don’t do that bull**** “donation” thing KoL uses.

R.I.P. Antiantiantichrist

Everybodykno-
ws

[Sisterhood of the -
Quivering Rose
]

Level 30 Camwhore

“Courte-chan”

nanafabulous personjesus Posted:

I probably wouldn’t. There’s honestly no way I’d be able to. And even with content available to those who didn’t pay, I’d probably be ****ed that there’s better content I’m not able to get, and probably quit.

Oh, and if you do decide to have pay2play, don’t do that bull**** “donation” thing KoL uses.

R.I.P. Antiantiantichrist

i dunno, i wouldn’t consider that system bull****. no one has to pay to get anything, all the same content is availible to donors and non-donors. some is harder to get as a non-donor, but there are items even hardcore donors will never be able to get because they were limited time and not enough people bought them to re-sell. and even new players who have never donated can get lucky and become filthy rich in the game and get themselves donation items without paying a cent. none of those items are absolutely essential to gameplay however. sure, some make things easier, but you can still accomplish the same things without them. it just might take longer.

i personally prefer that to content that is availible only to people who donate, even if it is only a one-time fee.

Everybodyknows edited this message on 03/09/2008 12:49AM

Cyberface207

[Fruit ****ers]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Yeah, KoL’s player-interaction system isn’t as intense or dependent on in-game activity as Forumwarz Domination, so I let them get away with that kind of thing more.

ranrar

Level 12 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Well… here is problem….

The very special kid who thinks that is is going to make millions because here is the toast of NY…

The “outsider artist” who thinks that they really care…

The Virgin who thinks that she is really her first…

Ultimately, Your user base are really losers and dead ends. People who can not or are afraid to give you real world funds. Charging for your services is suicide. Find a way to make money off your traffic. Find a way to secure your future. You have one of the most powerful tools of “the future” but it is still a dream…

I don’t want this site to die. I want to see you guys prosper. Direct your traffic. Make use of what you have.

007Bistromath

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

If ep2 has content about equal to ep1, the most I would pay for it is a dollar.

Regardless of how long and/or complex it is, the absolute most I’d pay is about five. Who do you think you are, Popcap? I steal all Popcap’s stuff because they sell five-dollar games for twenty a piece. Screw that. Don’t put on airs.

This is all largely theoretical, as the actual amount I can spend on this in my current situation is *checks pocket* about lint dollars and crumb cents.

PS: I feel like I should qualify this somewhat since I have seen some other stuff Trout dude said. Please note that the stuff I am about to say is going to seem pretty high-falutin’ for talking about some ridiculous parody web game, but it’s an example of a more general thing, so it’s gotta be said.

I firmly believe that game designers and other artists deserve money for their work. What I dislike is the idea of “selling” art. A work of art has very different value to different people, as the things a person likes and understands best basically serve as the interface between their own identity and the culture they live in. When people walk by a busker on a street corner, some just walk by, some drop in a quarter just in praise of the effort, and others stop and listen, because the song or its performance affects them, and they might even throw in a five. It seems to me this is how all non-commission art should be; everybody can see it, and they give to the artist based on how important the piece is to their personal “collection.” To bring this back to a more direct example, you’d best habeeb I bought Deus Ex and Half-Life, and the sequels to both. They were worth every penny, even though they were crazy ‘spensive. On the other hand, like I said: Popcap’s games are great, and I feel bad every now and then that I can’t drop them a fiver, but they’ve decided they don’t want my five bucks and would rather ask for twenty. That is unbridled pretentiousness.

Same kinda thing here. Do what Reznor did and make it a “name your price” deal. That will get you mad cred.

007Bistromath edited this message on 03/09/2008 7:21AM

Echuu

Avatar: 6433 Tue Jul 21 22:01:07 -0400 2009

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 20 Troll

You made Vader snobby.

I’m not really for the idea but i would still pay, unless it’s like a rediculous amount.

nanalatinoje-
sus gets you-
JUSTICE IN -
YOUR FORUMS

Avatar: nanalatinojesus gets you JUSTICE IN YOUR FORUMS's

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 26 Troll

I SHOULD POST MORE BUT I DON'T BECAUSE YOU'RE ALL REALLY LAME

Everybodyknows Posted:

i dunno, i wouldn’t consider that system bull****. no one has to pay to get anything, all the same content is availible to donors and non-donors. some is harder to get as a non-donor, but there are items even hardcore donors will never be able to get because they were limited time and not enough people bought them to re-sell. and even new players who have never donated can get lucky and become filthy rich in the game and get themselves donation items without paying a cent. none of those items are absolutely essential to gameplay however. sure, some make things easier, but you can still accomplish the same things without them. it just might take longer.

i personally prefer that to content that is availible only to people who donate, even if it is only a one-time fee.

Oh, I wasn’t bashing the system. I was referring to how they label it a donation when what you are essentially doing is buying a Mr. A.

warthur

[PoE]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Hell no I wouldn’t pay for Episode 2. Why would I do that when I could just **** off back to Kingdom of Loathing and enjoy all the new content they’ve come up with lately? Or go play some other free online game?

What I *WOULD* pay for is advance access to the Episode 2 alpha or beta testing phase.

Corion

Level 32 Emo Kid

I lost at domination?! How could this happen to me?

I probably would not pay for episode unless …

1. The servers got a SERIOUS upgrade.

2. The game started to offer “more” – right now the game doesn’t have very much depth. It feels deeper than it is because of things like sTalk and the Bookmarks and generally the way the game is structured. For me to pay for it, it would have to genuinely gain more depth to it.

3. I got another/more character slots and/or more forum visits/day.

Also, a lot of the forums are visually … lacking … most forums on the internet use standardized download packages and have better visuals than the ones represented in the game.

I would expect to see some major polish before I pay cash for this game.

For free games I don’t care what the quality of gameplay/visuals/interface, etc. is like, but when you enter the realm of a pay-for game I come to expect much more.

This game is INCREDIBLE for a free game, but for a pay-for game … well I guess that depends on the would-be-price.

Hope this candor helps you with your decision.

Corion edited this message on 03/12/2008 12:54PM

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

Corion Posted:

I probably would not pay for episode unless …

1. The servers got a SERIOUS upgrade.

How do you think a server would get upgraded, if not through additional income?

Basically we’re at the point now where adding more servers would cost 3-4x as much as our current hosting costs, because we’d have to move to a private rack.

A lot of posts in this thread basically boil down to: I want more from you guys and I want it to be free.

Psychologically it makes sense: who wouldn’t want awesome stuff and never have to pay for it?

But there is a huge cost in not only keeping the current server running smoothly, but in developing that new content. We cannot create a system where no income comes in and costs a lot to maintain, that’s just simple business.

Ultimately it’s all of your individual choices regarding what to spend your hard earned cash on. If you don’t find Forumwarz gives you any value that’s your choice and hey, no hard feelings.

But please, at least acknowledge the fact that a site like this doesn’t write and maintain itself. It takes a ridiculous amount of work, and if it could be running smoother and have 30 hours more content by flipping a switch we would have already done it, obviously.

maddsurgeon

Level 21 Camwhore

“Playground Pin-Up”

I like what I get for free, and I don’t really expect much out of browser games. Every time the server lags, I go “oh, well, it’s free” and go play something else.

I think the game is well-thought out and quite funny, but really I’m primarily here because it’s free, and I don’t think pay is a wise choice. As the game grows in popularity, selling more advertising and doing merchandising will become more viable options. Of course, I guess with more fans comes more strain on the servers, so maybe it’s a double-edged sword.

So no, I wouldn’t pay. I’d totally buy a t-shirt, though. Log in to see images!

Blaourf

Level 19 Emo Kid

“Moan-a Lisa”

Same here, a shirt I would definitely buy, a fee I would not pay.

Just an idea here though, but maybe an intermediary one time subscription, like 5~10 bucks paid once and for all for some extra features (multiple accounts, 8 daily forum visits instead of 4 …Log in to see images! would be ok for me.

Also, I really appreciate the game as it is, with little ads and a lot of game space, but I don’t think anyone would mind a little more ads somewhere on the screen.

Anyway, thanks for your hard work bringing this game to the net, and keep up the good work ! Log in to see images!

DrKirre

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Trout, it would all depend on the cost. 20 bucks for episode 2? Hell no. 20 bucks = quite a bit when you’re on an exceedingly strict budget. 10 bucks? I’d really need to think about it. 5 bucks would be perfect- but not worth it on your end.

Mbum Oakissed

[The Flamers of Loa-
thing
]

Level 10 Re-Re

Glutton 4 Punishment

Acid Flux Posted:

What if there was both a free-play & pay-to-play option, with the main difference being that pay-to-players got first crack at new updates, and after 4-8 weeks, those updates become free. If there was a one time fee for that privilege, and if updates were a regular event, that would be a decent compromise.

I think that would be a good business model while still making the content available (eventually) to all players. During the wait, there’d still be a lot of pwnage to partake in…

Echuu

Avatar: 6433 Tue Jul 21 22:01:07 -0400 2009

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 20 Troll

You made Vader snobby.

My bad.

Echuu edited this message on 03/12/2008 7:15PM

PhilANThropi-
St

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

****ing fatties and loving it since he was a teen

Not a ****ing chance.

As far as I see it, it’s either adverts, or pay-to-play.

And they’ve got adverts.

thrashtronaut

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

I say saddle anyone who has played through episode one and is too chicken to pony up a little money with e-peen that brands them as a hog.

Or plow their sister.

Barnyard.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!