Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Poll [CLOSED] Episode 2: Would you Pay?

CreepPipe

Avatar: 4204 2010-01-24 16:18:28 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 69 Troll

MOOOOOS ARE BELOW ME

Shii Posted:

I’d pay a one time fee…maybe…if it was 10 bucks or under.

And again, that’s a big maybe. And only if the second episode is as lengthy as the first.

The 4 visits per day help a lot to make it a more fun experience, last longer, etc.

I kind of agree. I think it’s hard for Crotch Zombie to look at Forumwarz as having a business model right now since I have, from my experience, and idea where they stand are in all likelihood investing more per month than profiting. However excluding people who refuse/can’t afford to pay is a bad technique. Which is likely to result in a loss in unique visitors and page impressions.

I think creating a set of core features available to everyone and offering features to others who are willing to pay is a better idea. A good example is John Gruber at daringfireball whom is blog is accessible to anyone but if they want RSS feeds he requires a subscription/donation.

Maybe make a longer/more in-depth episode for those willing to pay. And still give out E-Peen awards to those who beat the episode but an additional to those who completed the “full version” of the episode.

But then again this is all one crazy drunks logic.

CreepPipe

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 69 Troll

MOOOOOS ARE BELOW ME

my_name_is_pearl Posted:

New question: bumuming that the quantity and quality of the content of episode 2 were the same as ep1, HOW MUCH would you pay? I feel like many of the people who say they won’t pay to play are only saying so because they expect the game to be quite expensive.

Sorry I just finished writing my last post before reading this one. Probably between $5 to $10. But if you read my post before this I point out reasons why going to a straight pay2play system maybe are not as a great reason to go that route.

Granted I know Forumwarz has a great following but going pay2play this early is not really that wise of a decision I mean it’s Forumwarz not World of Virgins.

CptJackbum

Level 10 Emo Kid

God of Thunder

If I could I would pay… but that would require a visa giftcard, and those are a pain in the bum to find.

Pickled male reproductive organ-
bum

[Board of Directors]

Level 10 Camwhore

AHAHA HEADSETS

CptJackbum Posted:

If I could I would pay… but that would require a visa giftcard, and those are a pain in the bum to find.

not really, i think i saw them for sale at a grocery store, and at a gas station.

CreepPipe

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 69 Troll

MOOOOOS ARE BELOW ME

CptJackbum Posted:

Just about any drug store CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens…or if you have a Giant Eagle around you buy it and also have it count towards your Fuel Perks.

Corion

Level 32 Emo Kid

I lost at domination?! How could this happen to me?

Evil Trout Posted:

How do you think a server would get upgraded, if not through additional income?

I just meant that as part of a pay-to-play experience I would expect better hosting for the game. Right now I don’t expect that, since I’m a cheap bastard and haven’t given you a dime (yet). I totally understand how expensive hosting can be. I just wasn’t sure if a server upgrade was planned for episode 2 from the profit or what. II was just saying I wouldn’t want to start paying if I was still going to have intermittent problems just logging in at night.

Evil Trout Posted:

But please, at least acknowledge the fact that a site like this doesn’t write and maintain itself. It takes a ridiculous amount of work

As a senior Computer Science major in college, I completely understand how time consuming these large projects can be. Thank you for your dedication, and on top of that your openness and your presence within the community. I know how hard it can be to manage these huge projects and update them regularly and quickly. On top of that you also manage to browse the forums and actually respond to people who want regular updates and questions answered.

Evil Trout Posted:

and if it could be running smoother and have 30 hours more content by flipping a switch we would have already done it, obviously.

Ahahaha. Awesome response.

I’d probably be willing to pay $5-$10 for episode 2, I guess. Depends on how many of the things on my list on page 5 were added.

Corion edited this message on 03/13/2008 2:27AM

Balloon

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

Inflate my ovaries until they pop out of me and float away

Paying isn’t so bad. Really 10 bucks… which I’m thinking is a reasonable number. That’s only becasue I was thinking of worst case scenario (aside from not having it all): a subscription fee. That would certainly boost the revenue but alienate a HUGE amount of fans. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

I made ten dollars sitting at my computer answering surveys. So really, it’s no too big a deal.

Sancdar

[Team Shortbus]

Level 50 Camwhore

LCC club

CreepPipe Posted:

Average of $0.08 per click making it 62 and a half clicks to make it $5. I’d say on a good day AdSense makes you about $175, but realistically it’s even less because AdSense appeals to users of the internet whom aren’t that savvy. You’re dealing with a demographic that has ads blocked and even if they don’t have grown accustomed to ignoring them.

That’s so true. I bought brownie points to get an avatar and got the ads removed as kind of an afterthought. I can’t even remember seeing ads before I bought the perk, that’s how much I tune them out.

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

Balloon Posted:

Paying isn’t so bad. Really 10 bucks… which I’m thinking is a reasonable number. That’s only becasue I was thinking of worst case scenario (aside from not having it all): a subscription fee. That would certainly boost the revenue but alienate a HUGE amount of fans. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

I made ten dollars sitting at my computer answering surveys. So really, it’s no too big a deal.

I really don’t think we’d go subscription based unless we had a LOT more to offer. So let’s forget about that option for the foreseeable future Log in to see images!

Balloon

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

Like I said worst-case scenario… and I push the limits of what can happen in that way of thinking. Didn’t think you would, but it puts things in perspective.

banana

[I Liek Mudkipz]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

No

I keep money and the internet separate.

Always have, always will Log in to see images!

Balloon

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

... don’t you pay for internet access?

banana

[I Liek Mudkipz]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Balloon Posted:

... don’t you pay for internet access?

It’s included in my rent. Student housing…. Log in to see images!

Best thing I’ve seen in the area of “online gaming payment” is the option to pay small amounts of money with a single phone call for “credits” that allow you to buy extra’s. For some reason people are more likely to pay money online if they are able to do it in small chuncks and in a way that’s easily accessible for anyone at any team (mobile phone)

I’ve seen this system on some site that when you clicked on a “payment by phone” bumon you received a ‘unique’ code of a few digits. Then you were supposed to call a phone number and enter those digits to receive a certain amount of credits and all the payment was by phone.

Skyreal

Level 24 Camwhore

“The Lady is a Tramp”

To be honest I would pay a maximum of $5 for just a new episode. What I would potentially pay another $20 (over the next few months) for would be new depth. For me this means more interesting choices to make (like new abilities), less inconveniences (like tracking forums during vanilla runs >_< ), and keeping the meta-game interesting (no improvements come to my mind). Most importantly, I want know that the game is going in a good direction. That is, instead of just giving me “more of the same” I can expect “more of better.” If I go on it’s going to be a long rant about what makes a browser game fun for me, so I’ll just keep it at that for now.

Skyreal edited this message on 03/13/2008 1:26PM

Blaourf

Level 19 Emo Kid

“Moan-a Lisa”

Whatever happened to episode 2 anyways…

Not that I mean to rush anything, but although the domination thing is a great way to wait for some real news the first players will get bored eventually and leave the place for some other new fancy site – I count myself in the lot – and forumwarz will have been no more than a short fad.

We all know that most internet roamers have the patience and the attention span of a 2 year old : “give me my candy or I’ll find some elsewhere”.

That’s not the nicest way to put it, and it doesn’t make things easier for the team who’s putting hard work just to hold the game as it is now, but it is true nevertheless.

Like many others I would gladly pay a one time fee to access the game after episode one, now. I don’t know if I’ll still be that willing after 2-3 months of nothing to do but pwn always the same forums and losing at the domination game.

I’m gonna cut off bith my arms for saying things like this, but there you have it : Caturday is drawing near, you only have to make sure that the right feline wins. Log in to see images!

ReaperKK

[-M-ayhem]

Level 9 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

I would like to pay for it but if it’s more then say $10 I don’t think I would

3NDthread

[-M-ayhem]

Level 3 Troll

“Slightly Unpleasant Individual”

Balloon

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

Sorry, I couldn’t stay interested in you post to read all of it.

Seriously though, also something stay the same forumbuildr changes week to week. Domination adds the competitiveness to keep the people going back to forums. Flamebate is always fun.

Eh, one week you’ll come back thing about the new forum added and you’ll find out Episode 2 came out. Neat-o.

captain-howdy

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

There’s no way I’d pay. The main deciding factor in me even checking this out was that it was free. And, as a free game, it was/is pretty cool.

The bottom line is I’m cheap and don’t like paying for stuff I could probably live without.

BrainSaladSu-
rgeonGeneral

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

I don’t mind paying to play (Hell! I paid to play this ‘beta’ round for crying out loud!) But I think it is very important that there be some level where it is not a requirement.

The secret seems to lie in offering JUST enough advantage in paying, without making it a requirement or even a necessity to remaining competitive. IOW, you can sap the fun out of it either way and when that happens, you’re done.

This is only the 3rd RPG I’ve participated in and it is by far the bestest. I won’t mention names (unless you beg me) but one was a ‘cookie-cutter’ game with next to nothing in the way of new code and fraught with uncorrectable bugs. The other was coded from the ground up but the owners were criminals. (They were playing the game under multiple alts and essentially goading other players into spending because ‘Well, THEY are…’ (I wound up being banned because I called them out on it. From time to time I check back to see how they are doing and, suffice it to say, they are NOT. ‘Nuff said.)

I only bring this up because of the 3 games this one really is clever. I don’t want to see you guys make any of the same mistakes.

(Oh, and I’m really only here as part of the research for my OWN game, haha! No, seriously, I am! You guys set the bar pretty G-D high too!)

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!