Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Poll [CLOSED] Episode 2: Would you Pay?

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

Philanthropist Posted:

Not a ****ing chance.

As far as I see it, it’s either adverts, or pay-to-play.

And they’ve got adverts.

You probably are overestimating the income ads bring in. It’s a violation of my terms of services to discuss it in detail, but try to guess how much we get per click on an ad, and how many times you’d have to click to make that $5.

Do you know you can remove ads from the site by donating? Even if you purchased the smallest $5 package?

PhilANThropi-
St

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

****ing fatties and loving it since he was a teen

To be honest with you, I did think about making the post before I clicked “post”.

One, because of my first comment, which sounded vitriolic, but wasn’t, and two, because you’re right, I have no idea how much you get from ad revenue.

Out of interest, would 1 click, per active player, per day, cover many of the costs?

A simple: “Click the ad, get 1 extra forum visit” per day, would help. It would spur the people who don’t donate to contribute in the little way they can.

Some people can’t donate, some people don’t donate. But if you had one person donate $10 in 3 months, or one person clicking an advert once a day for 3 months, even though I don’t know your accounts, I’d bet my girlfriend on the fact you would make more.

The added plus point being: More ad clicks = More you can reap from advertising deals.

Let me know if I’m way off the mark.

Edited to add: Just noticed your point about donating to remove ads.

Rather than an extra forum visit, why not one click = remove ads for the day? You still gain 1 click per user per day, and the people with spare notes, can donate.

PhilANThropiSt edited this message on 03/12/2008 5:42PM

Mewmew

Level 18 Camwhore

Overly sensitive woman's genitals

I’ve bought brownie points a few different times, and yet I still wouldn’t agree to pay to play. I love this game, a lot, but I’d rather you thought up more ways and reasons to make people want to get brownie points than to turn it pay to play.

There has to be many more things you could do with brownie points in order to get more people to buy them.

Deathclaw

Level 8 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

Philanthropist Posted:

To be honest with you, I did think about making the post before I clicked “post”.

One, because of my first comment, which sounded vitriolic, but wasn’t, and two, because you’re right, I have no idea how much you get from ad revenue.

Out of interest, would 1 click, per active player, per day, cover many of the costs?

A simple: “Click the ad, get 1 extra forum visit” per day, would help. It would spur the people who don’t donate to contribute in the little way they can.

Some people can’t donate, some people don’t donate. But if you had one person donate $10 in 3 months, or one person clicking an advert once a day for 3 months, even though I don’t know your accounts, I’d bet my girlfriend on the fact you would make more.

The added plus point being: More ad clicks = More you can reap from advertising deals.

Let me know if I’m way off the mark.

Edited to add: Just noticed your point about donating to remove ads.

Rather than an extra forum visit, why not one click = remove ads for the day? You still gain 1 click per user per day, and the people with spare notes, can donate.

Two flaws to this post:

1. You once again fail to get the point he’s making. I would gladly pay for Ep2. And this forum visit thing has been gone over before. And that one click to remove ads is also very special, the companies would not want him to do that. If you really have such a ****fit about ads, somehow manage to reach your hand to your wallet (THIS IS THE HARD PART), take out that plastic card, and type in the number for some brownie points. Personally, I like the ads and make an attempt to once in a while click on one that seems relevant to my interests. If it wasn’t for ads, I would have never found this site.

2. You don’t have a girlfriend, gtfo.

PhilANThropi-
St

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

Hell, I’ve reached for my card numerous times, and paid for games.

I’ll end up donating to this one after a few weeks I reckon, too.

That said, you “like the ads”? What, are you ****ing very special? If I wanted google ads, I’d search google for what I wanted.

1 click removes the ad for the day is a vastly flawed suggestion, and one which I’ll retract.

I’m telling my girlfriend on you, by the way. She is SO gonna beat your dad up.

Ronald Jerum

[Wootz]

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

I’m probably going to buy a couple new characters, and if the price was around $5-10 I’d probably pay for Episode 2 too.

maddsurgeon

Level 21 Camwhore

“Playground Pin-Up”

The Onion has an ad that you see every time you go to the site, while you’re being redirected to the main page. They’ve been running free for years, and have recently added streaming videos. Of course, they’re strictly a humor site and not a game, but the point is that you should be able to charge more for ads that are more prominently displayed.

I’m not a marketing person or anything, so I could be way off. But I still think more ads are a good way to make revenue. People who play browser games generally log on at least once a day. That’s a lot of traffic.

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

Re: Ads

First off, I should point out that encouraging people to click on ads goes against the terms of services. The idea is, advertisers buy the ads from google under the impression that people who click on them are interested in what the ad is offering.

Also, Google has extremely advanced software for tracking who is clicking on ads. It might not seem like a fraudulent click to you, but if you clicked on one ad every day, google would eventually figure out you’re not clicking out of interest, you’re clicking for another reason, and I wouldn’t get paid for your clicks in the first place. So you haven’t really helped us by doing that.

Having said all that, ads work best when you see something you’d be interested in and follow through. We’ve tried to make sure Google shows ads for things you guys might like (like other web games), so that you can click on them if you’re curious.

tl;dr version: Click on ads if you are interested in the thing presented, because google won’t count it if you click hundreds of times anyway.

Mewmew Posted:

I’ve bought brownie points a few different times, and yet I still wouldn’t agree to pay to play. I love this game, a lot, but I’d rather you thought up more ways and reasons to make people want to get brownie points than to turn it pay to play.

There has to be many more things you could do with brownie points in order to get more people to buy them.

We already have a long list of Brownie Ideas, but we’d love to hear more from you guys. More things to buy will definitely be coming!

maddsurgeon Posted:

The Onion has an ad that you see every time you go to the site, while you’re being redirected to the main page. They’ve been running free for years, and have recently added streaming videos. Of course, they’re strictly a humor site and not a game, but the point is that you should be able to charge more for ads that are more prominently displayed.

I’m not a marketing person or anything, so I could be way off. But I still think more ads are a good way to make revenue. People who play browser games generally log on at least once a day. That’s a lot of traffic.

It’s hard to compare one site to another, especially a very dynamic game like ours to a largely static site like the onion. Man I wished all I had to do was show static articles, it would be so easy to serve that up Log in to see images! (although I do remember a time when every Wednesday the Onion would go slow as hell after their updates).

I think it’s possible we could make more money off our existing ads if we tuned them a bit, and we will probably look into that in the future.

Evil Trout edited this message on 03/12/2008 6:04PM

PhilANThropi-
St

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

So in conclusion, I know nothing about ad revenue, and you’ve already thought about that stuff.

I’ll slink back into obscurity now.

Razor

Level 21 Troll

“Li'l Hellraiser”

No, thanks.Log in to see images!

I really like the game, but I wouldn’t pay to play it.

Balloon

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

Inflate my ovaries until they pop out of me and float away

I’d probably pay but of course it would dpend on the price. I would like other methods of payments as well. I have a card, but I rarely like to use it.

Of course, having this game for free would be like having the power of Greyskull… in your pants.

Deathclaw

Level 8 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

Philanthropist Posted:

Hell, I’ve reached for my card numerous times, and paid for games.

I’ll end up donating to this one after a few weeks I reckon, too.

That said, you “like the ads”? What, are you ****ing very special? If I wanted google ads, I’d search google for what I wanted.

1 click removes the ad for the day is a vastly flawed suggestion, and one which I’ll retract.

I’m telling my girlfriend on you, by the way. She is SO gonna beat your dad up.

How dare I want to find new websites!

PhilANThropi-
St

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

digg.com

Echuu

Avatar: 6433 Tue Jul 21 22:01:07 -0400 2009

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 20 Troll

You made Vader snobby.

To Moderators: If you feel that this shouldn’t be posted, feel free to delete the post.

A lot of people here have never had any experience from web ads so I’ll post some of my stats.

As i no longer use AdSense and have sold my website I’ll post some stats so you get a sort of picture of how much my site was pulling in from AdSense.

I was running a Arena calculator for World Of Warcraft before blizzard made their own. I got it linked in the community news on the wow-europe.com front page. When it peaked i had about 100,000 unique visitors a month and about 1,000,000 page views. The average clicks a day were 22,000 and around 21 clicks. That equals to around a ~0.10% click-trough-rate. The daily income from AdSense was 4-15$ with an average of 4.76$, making the monthly income somewhere between 100$-300$.

That page was about 1kb in size and used about 2gb of traffic per month. It used very little, like microscopic amounts of resource from the server. Now ForumWarz uses about 25gb of traffic A DAY[1]. And a powerful server thats taking 25-50 requests a second[2], so I’m guessing the costs of the server easily exceed at least what i made. And don’t forget development costs.

I wrote the “one click a day will skyrocket income” thing before without really taking everything int oconsideration, and as Evil Trout explain, it won’t work so I’ll take that back, but hopefully these numbers help to understand, at least to some degree how much web ads really pull in.

[1][2] – http://blog.forumwarz.com/rjs/slides.html

Skyreal

Level 24 Camwhore

“The Lady is a Tramp”

ROFL @ the last slide

maddsurgeon

Level 21 Camwhore

“Playground Pin-Up”

Evil Trout Posted:

It’s hard to compare one site to another, especially a very dynamic game like ours to a largely static site like the onion. Man I wished all I had to do was show static articles, it would be so easy to serve that up Log in to see images!

I remember that too, now that you mention it. I guess I didn’t think about how lots flashy ads could bog down the site…still, there’s room to grow, I’ll bet.

CreepPipe

Avatar: 4204 2010-01-24 16:18:28 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 69 Troll

MOOOOOS ARE BELOW ME

Evil Trout Posted:

You probably are overestimating the income ads bring in. It’s a violation of my terms of services to discuss it in detail, but try to guess how much we get per click on an ad, and how many times you’d have to click to make that $5.

Average of $0.08 per click making it 62 and a half clicks to make it $5. I’d say on a good day AdSense makes you about $175, but realistically it’s even less because AdSense appeals to users of the internet whom aren’t that savvy. Your dealing with a demographic that has ads blocked and even if they don’t have grown accustomed to ignoring them.

Anyhow though most people on the internet look at Google AdSense as the epitome of ways to make money on the internet it can be a cruel mistress. One month she pays for every bottle of Jager you drink the next you’re searching for a generic alternative. If anything I’d suggest maybe trying new means of advertisement. YPN used to pay out nicely but now they’re pretty much on the same levels as Google. Maybe look into TLA, Federated Media and finally The DECK though it’s virtually impossible to get into.

And to finally answer the question this thread asks; I’m on the fence of whether I’d pay or not I’d have to see the price and the terms of that price.

Pickled male reproductive organ-
bum

[Board of Directors]

Level 10 Camwhore

AHAHA HEADSETS

i would probably pay a small flat fee. like 3 brownie points or something.

Abdullah_Obl-
ongata

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 7 Camwhore

The Internet frightens me

CreepPipe Posted:

And to finally answer the question this thread asks; I’m on the fence of whether I’d pay or not I’d have to see the price and the terms of that price.

New question: bumuming that the quantity and quality of the content of episode 2 were the same as ep1, HOW MUCH would you pay? I feel like many of the people who say they won’t pay to play are only saying so because they expect the game to be quite expensive.

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

I’d pay a one time fee…maybe…if it was 10 bucks or under.

And again, that’s a big maybe. And only if the second episode is as lengthy as the first.

The 4 visits per day help a lot to make it a more fun experience, last longer, etc.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!