Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Poll [CLOSED] Episode 2: Would you Pay?

sniffingglu77

[f0ll0w3rs 0f th3 4-
ngry g3rm4n k1d
]

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

i think i would be pretty much gone if asked to pay, i realy like forumwarz, its humor and its creativity it, but it would kind of loose the D.I.Y.-flavour for me, like for example i liked UO free-shards allways better

then the OSI-shards.

but what about other ideas financing this game,

merchandice was already mentioned before,

or advertising tubmail which could be made up in a humorous way too.

sniffingglu77 edited this message on 04/17/2008 6:38AM

DocBeard

[The British Gentle-
men Society
]

Level 22 Emo Kid

“Bleeding Heart”

Speaking as someone who has to figure out witchcraft-related ways to pay for things on the internet, I prefer when games use the KoL model. If I don’t have five bucks to spare that month, I might miss out on a cool item, but that’s not the end of the world.

But if I don’t have a spare five bucks that month, I’ll miss out on content? That bugs me. I’m not entierly sure why, either. It is, naturally, CZ’s game and their perogitive, but that’s just how I feel.

Alpha****er

[Trolls F T W]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

yeah I know a really ****ty game known as battle-knights it is bad enough that you have to wait 4 hourss to do something again but when everything costs a certain amount of sepecial coins for normal items it really begins to suck.

yet I still play it, but I hate it none the less.

oh by the way has there been any announcment as to when episode 2 will come out ? I have not played this game since like march sixteenth

Bill_Murray_-
Fan_7383

Avatar: 7241 2011-07-31 00:42:33 -0400

[i have a thirteen inch male reproductive organ click for proof]

Level 35 Camwhore

Oh whoops, I dropped my monster condom that I use for my magnum dong

DocBeard Posted:

Speaking as someone who has to figure out witchcraft-related ways to pay for things on the internet, I prefer when games use the KoL model. If I don’t have five bucks to spare that month, I might miss out on a cool item, but that’s not the end of the world.

But if I don’t have a spare five bucks that month, I’ll miss out on content? That bugs me. I’m not entierly sure why, either. It is, naturally, CZ’s game and their perogitive, but that’s just how I feel.

I just buy Visa Gift Cards from Wal-Mart. They’re a little expensive (Only come in $50 and $100 denominations), but they’re safe and readily accessible.

male reproductive organ Diesel

[Short Bus Express]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Pay to play? Hmmm.. really depends. For a game like FW I won’t pay a monthly subscription, or a yearly (unless it was guaranteed at least a few content upgrades during the course of a year). As for a subscription solely on the content of Episode 2, that really depends on the content itself. If all I am going to see are the user created forums of forumbuildr with a story wrapped around it, then no. But if the 2nd episode is at the very least twice as large as episode 1 with original content, I could see paying a “one off” fee for each of my alts at a reasonable price.

I like to support developers of innovative software/ideas. But I need to be shown that, that innovation is worth supporting in the first place before I commit. Time will tell.

Marcos El Ma-
lo

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

male reproductive organ Diesel Posted:

Pay to play? Hmmm.. really depends. For a game like FW I won’t pay a monthly subscription, or a yearly (unless it was guaranteed at least a few content upgrades during the course of a year). As for a subscription solely on the content of Episode 2, that really depends on the content itself. If all I am going to see are the user created forums of forumbuildr with a story wrapped around it, then no. But if the 2nd episode is at the very least twice as large as episode 1 with original content, I could see paying a “one off” fee for each of my alts at a reasonable price.

I like to support developers of innovative software/ideas. But I need to be shown that, that innovation is worth supporting in the first place before I commit. Time will tell.

My thinking is evolving in this direction. Monthly? No. Yearly? Maybe, if it was like $10. Per episode (and per alt, possibly)? Yes. It costs $10.50 to see a movie these days. FW surely gives much more entertainment value than most movies. I’d pay $10, maybe a little more depending on the FEATURE SET. Something that would work would be $10 for the first character, and then $5 for each alt after that, and maybe a $25 package that would cover ALL the alts bumociated with an account.

Bill_Murray_-
Fan_7383

Level 35 Camwhore

Yeah. It’s been said a lot, but I could definitely go for a one time cost per episode.

007Bistromath

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Marcos El Malo Posted:

It costs $10.50 to see a movie these days. FW surely gives much more entertainment value than most movies.

You watch some total bull**** awful movies, tbh.

Marcos El Ma-
lo

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

007Bistromath Posted:

watch some total bull**** awful movies, tbh.

I’ve got a non-inflatable gf, and she gets to pick movies about half the time.

Bill_Murray_-
Fan_7383

Level 35 Camwhore

007Bistromath Posted:

watch some total bull**** awful movies, tbh.

That sounds fairly on par to me. I usually pay $7 for theater admission, and adding in a large Mountain Dew, I spend $11.

Which is going to make next month a KILLER. Log in to see images!

Natalie Petr-
ov

Avatar: 30861 2010-01-24 16:36:34 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 69 Camwhore

Queen of Hats and enjoy

I would.

Marcos El Ma-
lo

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

L2 Posted:

That sounds fairly on par to me. I usually pay $7 for theater admission, and adding in a large Mountain Dew, I spend $11.

Adult admission is $10.50 around here. $7 is under 12 and matinee. Can I ask you something? Are your bumocks supple?

Bill_Murray_-
Fan_7383

Level 35 Camwhore

Marcos El Malo Posted:

Adult admission is $10.50 around here. $7 is under 12 and matinee. Can I ask you something? Are your bumocks supple?

Obviously more than yours, since you’re getting raped up the bum on admission. Log in to see images!

Marcos El Ma-
lo

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

LMAO. But I also get to write it off on my taxes, since I sort of work in the biz. I can pretty much write off any entertainment expense, including FW. It counts as professional research.

But seriously, $10.50 is standard here, unless you go to one of those crummy theaters that are still playing movies that are already out on DVD. You know, the ones with $2 Tuesdays?

Marcos El Malo edited this message on 04/21/2008 6:26PM

Fran

Avatar: 34789 2015-08-06 21:23:09 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 62 Camwhore

I wonder who is the bumbling idiot that still has fake currency on this website and actually spends

I have all the conditions to pay for Brownies and stuff on Forumwarz, but I choose not to to cooperate with the spirit of the game.

But, in all seriousness: The servers instability has been ****ing me off. I’ve lost several 3-Lemon Sherbet speed runs because of forums crashing. I will pay for an Episode 2 if it happens, but I’m expecting better server conditions by then.

Fran edited this message on 04/21/2008 7:15PM

Fart Salesman

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

no, i’m cheap.

FAIL

Avatar: 36735 2015-06-13 23:04:37 -0400

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 25 Re-Re

Head of the Ministry of Man bumes

littlefran Posted:

I have all the conditions to pay for Brownies and stuff on Forumwarz, but I choose not to to cooperate with the spirit of the game.

But, in all seriousness: The servers instability has been ****ing me off. I’ve lost several 3-Lemon Sherbet speed runs because of forums crashing. I will pay for an Episode 2 if it happens, but I’m expecting better server conditions by then.

Uh… to get better server conditions you must have money. To get money, you must donate. In order to donate you need good server conditions. etc.

PENGUCHAN

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

I think it’s best to be as sneaky as possible with the pay to play stuff — like all those Korean RPGs (and soon Mythos) that are “free” but require you to buy items to get anywhere without spending 10 billion hours. If you’ve got time investment from a player and can stir up their voracious desire for L337 G34R before they want to buy, then you’ve nailed em’. Just try not to be dix like Something Awful and sell a car and THEN tell people that the rear-view mirror, hubcaps, tail pipe, engine block, pedals, and everything else someone would expect to get with a car are sold separately. Or maybe try that, I dunno, it works for them.

This is all about marketing and psychology. Work on a price structure that caters to an endless desire (like Magic the Gathering or Pox Nora) and you’ll roll in the dough. People love UNLIMITED ACCESS and BONUS STRUCTURES (I know I totally can’t resist a bulk pack thing where I can spend 5 bucks more for a better deal), so try and work off that.

Lastly, personally, I totally wouldn’t mind paying $5 to $10 for Episode 2. I mean, seriously, this game has been more fun than a lot of the $60 titles I’ve bought, so how the **** can I justify whining?

Bill_Murray_-
Fan_7383

Level 35 Camwhore

Marcos El Malo Posted:

LMAO. But I also get to write it off on my taxes, since I sort of work in the biz. I can pretty much write off any entertainment expense, including FW. It counts as professional research.

But seriously, $10.50 is standard here, unless you go to one of those crummy theaters that are still playing movies that are already out on DVD. You know, the ones with $2 Tuesdays?

That’s interesting, what do you do?

And I suppose if you watch attend movies in bigger cities with bigger theaters, you’re going to pay more for admission. I typically go to a Marcus theater in a fairly large city (around NE Iowa), not a major metropolitan area.

Draconis

Avatar: 7363 Fri Oct 31 23:35:38 -0400 2008

[Imageboard Militia-
Garrison - IMG
]

Level 24 Troll

“Dick in a Box”

Maybe you can charge 5 bucks per episode, but make it last a month or so, and give those who play a chance to win a free episode via the forumwarez domination games or have a higher probability of finding a free-play card in the P0wn shop the more episodes a player buys…there are many possibilities.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!