Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Poll [CLOSED] Episode 2: Would you Pay?

ToriForte

[The Flamers of Loa-
thing
]

Level 16 Camwhore

“Attention Slut”

Wyrd Posted:

I’m much more inclined to donate to a free game than pay a required playing fee.

My feelings exactly.

Marcos El Ma-
lo

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

ToriForte Posted:

Wyrd Posted:

I’m much more inclined to donate to a free game than pay a required playing fee.

My feelings exactly.

Good intentions don’t pay for hosting. Have you donated yet? From looking at your profile, it doesn’t look like you’ve even donutted. If you’re too skint to donate, at least send Evil Trout a donut.

But seriously, you’re a level 10 camwhore with 4 trophies. You’ve been playing and enjoying someone’s hard work for free. What will it take to squeeze a measly $5 out of you?

L2 Posted:

That’s interesting, what do you do?

Without getting into it too much, I’m what they call “under-the-line”, i.e., a tech. That’s when I actually bother to work. It’s a horrible business (but not as bad as the music business, thank God).

Marcos El Malo edited this message on 04/22/2008 3:32PM

Bigguyinblack

[Mock TSB]

Level 10 Troll

i'm so lonely... i have no friends... plz help...

Posting to bump L2’s Flamebate score.

LOLAIDS

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

I wouldn’t pay for it, but I would most definitely play it.

Hakai

Level 10 Camwhore

I'm deranged, but fun...

I’d pay. I waste my money all the time lol. why not.

I’m planning on donating, but haven’t decided how many brownie points I want yet, so… ^_^

Altazimuth

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

God, it took awhile to read through all that.

Anyway, to those who have donated, I seem to recall that ET said Ep.2 would be free-to-play for prior donators (which, note to those worried about costs, would make it a good idea to donate a bit now to minimize costs, hey hey!) Please correct me if I’m wrong.

I suppose I’d pay about 10 bucks…maybe…if I could figure out where to get/how to get money for a Visa Gift Card or whatever. If you do make it cost money to play, then it’d be a good idea to have threads about payment options et cetera.

Note on the adverts: I think that I’ve clicked on several of them, but I also find that I’m coming across the same ones over and over, Rappelz in particular. I note that once I have clicked on an ad, I will find out about whatever game or site it describes (generally finding that whatever it is fails on my mac, bleargh.) and then I will never click it again. Perhaps you could find some way to vary the ads that come through? The sort of person to click on these ads, such as myself, would very much be more likely to investigate them if they were not the same all the time. Just a thought, you know?

And I wonder, could you put on more advertising space, and increase revenues that way? It probably would violate your ToS tho, drat.

I believe you asked for suggestions for more Brownie Point rewards? Here’s one: Brownie Points being exchanged for custom fonts in Flamebate posts. Here’s another: Brownie points for the temporary ability to post “before” someone else in a flamebate thread- have your post be chronologically where you want it in the thread. It’d make for interesting happenings I think.

Or maybe my mind is just addled from all that reading.

Marcos El Ma-
lo

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Hakai Posted:

I’d pay. I waste my money all the time lol. why not.

I’m planning on donating, but haven’t decided how many brownie points I want yet, so… ^_^

Whichever package you deem is best, select the next one up. I’m tellin’ ya . . . Log in to see images!

Altazimuth Posted:

Yeah, I think it’s that one. Log in to see images!

Bill_Murray_-
Fan_7383

Avatar: 7241 2011-07-31 00:42:33 -0400

[i have a thirteen inch male reproductive organ click for proof]

Level 35 Camwhore

Oh whoops, I dropped my monster condom that I use for my magnum dong

Altazimuth Posted:

I believe you asked for suggestions for more Brownie Point rewards? Here’s one: Brownie Points being exchanged for custom fonts in Flamebate posts. Here’s another: Brownie points for the temporary ability to post “before” someone else in a flamebate thread- have your post be chronologically where you want it in the thread. It’d make for interesting happenings I think.

Interesting idea, but it would only be applicable in the Role-playing forums. Log in to see images!

Gentleman

[naga stole my bike]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Going to play forumwarz until Age of Conan release Log in to see images! Gentleman edited this message on 04/25/2008 10:33PM

BeBoBli

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

I’ve been a huge jew about my money as of late, but I support the idea of having to pay $5-$10 for episode 2 despite the fact that I might not pay it for a while. There is quality work going into this project worth the money. Someone who would refuse to pay money for something like that is a spoiled fabulous person.

I’m serious. You’ve got to be one spoiled son of a **** to really believe you deserve to play a game like this for free without putting in even a bit of your precious currency.

Bill_Murray_-
Fan_7383

Level 35 Camwhore

BeBoBli Posted:

I’m serious. You’ve got to be one spoiled son of a **** to really believe you deserve to play a game like this for free without putting in even a bit of your precious currency.

From what I’ve seen, it’s more of an issue of being able to play, as opposed to not wanting to pay. A lot of people here don’t have credit cards or Paypal, which limits their ability to donate. Maybe if they started doing money-orders, they’d have a higher level of enthusiasm.

Samwise

[Bat Country]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

I’ve donated, but I can’t see myself paying more than a couple BPs for Episode 2 if it’s just a short batch of single player missions that I’ll blow through in a week.

Marcos El Ma-
lo

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

L2 Posted:

From what I’ve seen, it’s more of an issue of being able to play, as opposed to not wanting to pay. A lot of people here don’t have credit cards or Paypal, which limits their ability to donate. Maybe if they started doing money-orders, they’d have a higher level of enthusiasm.

That’s just a friggin’ excuse. Anyone who is too young to have a credit card or paypal can always get strangers on the internet to buy things for her by showing those strangers pictures of her woman's genitals.

Bill_Murray_-
Fan_7383

Level 35 Camwhore

Marcos El Malo Posted:

That’s just a friggin’ excuse. Anyone who is too young to have a credit card or paypal can always get strangers on the internet to buy things for her by showing those strangers pictures of her woman's genitals.

Really? I just use bomb threats. That always works.

Marcos El Ma-
lo

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

L2 Posted:

Really? I just use bomb threats. That always works.

I’m not sure I’m following. Like, I give you BP so you WILL **** on my chest, or so you WON’T?

And in a clever ploy to not get b7 (see what I did there?), I think the idea of buying item upgrades that would give PAYING players a slight edge in competition is an idea WORTHY of examination.

Bill_Murray_-
Fan_7383

Level 35 Camwhore

Marcos El Malo Posted:

I’m not sure I’m following. Like, I give you BP so you WILL **** on my chest, or so you WON’T?

And in a clever ploy to not get b7 (see what I did there?), I think the idea of buying item upgrades that would give PAYING players a slight edge in competition is an idea WORTHY of examination.

I could see that idea going either way. It works well for sites like Gaia (bad example, since it’s not really a game) or AdventureQuest, but it always brings up the argument of elitism and unfair advantage. I’d support CZ whichever way they go, though.

Marcos El Ma-
lo

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

L2 Posted:

I could see that idea going either way. It works well for sites like Gaia (bad example, since it’s not really a game) or AdventureQuest, but it always brings up the argument of elitism and unfair advantage. I’d support CZ whichever way they go, though.

The edge given could be very slight and only cost a few BP. As far as charges of unfair advantage, so what? Life is unfair. Is FW supposed to be some bastion of fairness in a cruel world?

Something I learned about customers/clients over the course of many years. I’ve always divided clients up into three groups: A) Your best customers, either know what they want and reward you handsomely for providing it, or trust you to know what they want and reward you handsomely. B) Good customers that you need to work with or educate but they pay on time and don’t try to **** with you after the fact. Can be trained to be A clients sometimes. C) Problem customers, never satisfied, always trying to get extra work out of you, look for cheapest price rather than quality of work, make last minute changes as a rule, don’t pay on time, feel entitled to monopolize your time, don’t respect boundaries, etc. In short, PITA clients that are not worth the effort.

The idea is to get rid of your C) clients and spend more time recruiting and working for A) and B) clients, and putting more time into training those B) clients to be A)s.

For the purposes of FW, I think we can divide the customers into two groups: those willing to pay and those not. Let’s call them A) customers and ****heels.

If CZ charges for anything, they’re going to alienate the ****heels. But so what? ONOES, WERE LOSING ****HEELS!! It’s not like there’s not several billion more ****heels where those ones came from. Lost ****heels don’t represent lost profit. EP 1 is free and will attract more people to try FW, and then they can either decide they want to be A) or ****heels. So **** ‘em.

Same goes for Multi/competition. Both A) and ****heels are enjoying this aspect. But who the **** cares if the ****heels get bent out of shape and leave? They’ll just get replaced with more freeloading ****heels before the week is out. The internet is literally overflowing with them. THERE IS NO SHORTAGE111

Now, I’m not saying that CZ couldn’t handle this in a more interesting/subtle way. Perhaps the item is available for purchase (w/flezz) only after you’ve completed a PAID (w/ BP or $) side quest (either pre Ep 2 or worked into Ep 2).

Anyway, I’ve got more thoughts, but ET should contact me if he wants to hear them. I’d also like to get a better idea of what the CZ business plan is, and he might not want to disclose that to a random stranger on the internet.

EDIT: Oh, you meant the chest crapping thing going either way. Disregard the rest of the post.

Marcos El Malo edited this message on 04/26/2008 5:09PM

bluish_wolf

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

As long as forumbuildr v2.0 BETA remains free, it doesn’t really matter does it? I mean, face it, the story in episode one sucked. I don’t expect episode 2 to be any better.

Samwise

[Bat Country]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Marcos El Malo Posted:

wall_of_text

I disagree with what you said.

Put it this way: I’m one of those “paying customers” that you’re talking about. I have ZERO interest in playing a game where people get a competitive advantage by spending money, even if I’m one of the people with the advantage.

If your big goal is to drive off the “****heels”, you just make the whole game pay-to-play for a flat rate. Done.

Chrome-Unit2-

Level 21 Troll

“Li'l Hellraiser”

i love this game but i won´t pay of ep2 i think this is a =(/|@#€¬ because u will pay for something that in the beginning says free and for continue to play u must pay…..i dont think so….

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!