Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Rant So this is what it's come to...

Master_Troll

Avatar: 58489 2010-05-26 01:29:58 -0400

Level 69 Emo Kid

Lee_Harvey_Oswald is Pinky and I'm Brain

spacekadt Posted:

answering a few things and not bothering to quote, because I don’t wanna…

how do we draw the line? what’s trolling? it’s mod tyrrany! – I knew that *if* this thread got a decent response (which it seems that it has), we’d need to further define things. Our task force might just be useful again… but trust that we’ll lay things out as clearly as possible before any rules changes happen. If you really end up hating the way it’s being moderated, there are still all those other RP boards to play around on and continue doing whatever you want to do (within the current rules)

Simple. A new forum, where you can’t break a roleplay. You can’t call a user out, you can’t correctly alt reveal unless the user does it themself (to not exclude someone whose RP was falsely alt revealing, you see), and you just need to stay in character.

For instance, myself and LHO are simplistic trolls, but in the sense that we stir **** without being obvious about it. The RP is to maintain an attitude of which we post. RP extraterritoriality should not be extended to disruptive gimmick alts, such as DraginzSpam. His “roleplay” contributes nothing aside from another annoyance, which while fine in the lawless land, should not be accepted in a “Civil RP” zone.

Oleg

Avatar: 98357 2011-07-31 00:47:25 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 18 Hacker

INVINCIBLE POSTER

I made post some might consider relevant (but not in a nice way):

http://www.forumwarz.com/discussions/view/49244-this-business-is-in-the-saturation-stage

DraginzSpam

Level 12 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Master_Troll Posted:

Simple. A new forum, where you can’t break a roleplay. You can’t call a user out, you can’t correctly alt reveal unless the user does it themself (to not exclude someone whose RP was falsely alt revealing, you see), and you just need to stay in character.

For instance, myself and LHO are simplistic trolls, but in the sense that we stir **** without being obvious about it. The RP is to maintain an attitude of which we post. RP extraterritoriality should not be extended to disruptive gimmick alts, such as DraginzSpam. His “roleplay” contributes nothing aside from another annoyance, which while fine in the lawless land, should not be accepted in a “Civil RP” zone.

I am a very serious RPer and I am sorry that you do not see it that way. I can only hope that people like this are not the ones who decide who can post in this “special RP” forum.

Also, draginz are awesome.

spacekadt

Avatar: 16186 2011-11-01 00:02:40 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Camwhore

meh

Master_Troll Posted:

Simple. A new forum, where you can’t break a roleplay.

This is exactly the problem. We’re not gonna get one. What I’m suggesting is that we take one of the existing boards and turn it into this. The idea that other people had is a great one… we need a board like this. The problem is getting it.

Master_Troll Posted:

You can’t call a user out, you can’t correctly alt reveal unless the user does it themself (to not exclude someone whose RP was falsely alt revealing, you see), and you just need to stay in character.

There’s a fine line here that needs to be worked out. And will in the future, should we decide to actually do this. But let’s get the community and/or CZ on board with the underlying idea before trying to decide what should and shouldn’t be ok.

That said, *I* want a good debate on what the rules should look like with representation from some of our more notorious trolls as well as some of the RP folks. I have zero intention of turning this into a “let’s placate the RP people and shut trolls out completely” type thing.

Master_Troll

Level 69 Emo Kid

DraginzSpam Posted:

I am a very serious RPer and I am sorry that you do not see it that way. I can only hope that people like this are not the ones who decide who can post in this “special RP” forum.

Also, draginz are awesome.

CONTRIBUTION.

You are sincere in your RP, yes. But your RP does not mesh with the community in the way to be described. You do not interact with RP except to post draginz. You do nothing to further a topic, nothing to bumist in a roleplay. You post draginz. It is a gimmick. Should your “RP” involve a way to discuss draginz in a manner that does not make your posts 90% “OMG DRAGINZZZZ CLICK PLZ” then I would be interested in observing your role in a roleplay environment.

emoh unter, that was not a gimmick. That was honest-to-God roleplay, and h0g bumumed the role of an effective new player. I could almost call his roleplay of emohunter to be a case study, and it proved that the community percieves new players as some sort of sgreat times compared to the older ones. megazeroexe said it best to me in IDC, it’s like a form of hazing. New players are hated, causing them to be bumholes, causing them to be hated. Vicious cycle, etc. but it’s important to note that it starts with the older players most of the time and that we need to be tolerant too.

****ty Famil-
y Guy Alt

Avatar: 222812 2015-05-30 20:50:23 -0400

[south park]

Level 69 Camwhore

hot horse great times lover

spacey, as a cool kid I have to disagree with everything you say because the mods are wrong and are ruining the forums.

roleplay is dead that’s why I’ve made my klan against Good Roleplay if people want an invite let me know

kraigu

Avatar: 132907 2010-01-24 16:36:53 -0500

Level 69 Hacker

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

sdgrbbum09 Posted:

There’s lots of RPing in the Role-playing section, it just so happens that everyone is RPing as a troll.

If only they were so imaginative. Permanoobs RPing trolls, more like.

Sarcasm Inc

Avatar: 124937 2010-01-24 16:34:47 -0500

[pizza party]

Level 69 Hacker

Not needed anymore now that we have the SarcMark

When I want to RP, I just jump on to the #pizzaparty syn.irc channel and have some fun with ERECTILE_DEATH and whoever else happens to be there at the time.

Mazzon

[Too sexy for membe-
rs
]

Level 37 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Master_Troll Posted:

There’s very few “good posters” around due to the new userbase’s inability to mesh with the old userbase, therefore old posters can only really discuss things with old posters. There’s rarely someone in IDC that I don’t recognize that is actually entertaining. They’re lacking something that people from a year or more ago have, for the most part.

This is not exclusive to new users, nor is it a problem in all new users. But it’s evident that somewhere along the line, new users stopped having what old users have. Be it the knowledge that we’re being ironic, or the inability to stylize their posting method, or something. But they don’t have it.

New poster here, hi.

Let’s have a quick recap what it’s like to start posting here: First, anything and everything you say will be met with a uniform response of “shut up, **** off, who are you, nobody asked you, go away.” So you tell yourself ok, this is a game about trolling, they’re being ironic, they don’t really hate me. Maybe you convince yourself, maybe you quit, but you’ll never really know for sure.

Second, you look for funny stuff posted by others. You look, and you look… look some more… keep looking… nope, not a thing. The only humour is old posters making jokes about other old posters whom you don’t know so it’s not funny to you.

Third, you find that it’s a generally accepted truth that all new posters suck so anything posted by someone who hasn’t been around forever is going to be viewed with a predisposition that it’ll suck. Ergo, tough crowd.

So I don’t want to complain but the scene here really isn’t the easiest to get in to.

Mazzon edited this message on 03/09/2010 6:12PM

kraigu

Level 69 Hacker

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Master_Troll Posted:

There’s very few “good posters” around due to the new userbase’s inability to mesh with the old userbase, therefore old posters can only really discuss things with old posters. There’s rarely someone in IDC that I don’t recognize that is actually entertaining. They’re lacking something that people from a year or more ago have, for the most part.

Hm, I don’t know. I still don’t really consider myself to be an “old poster” despite my vet peen, since I don’t actually post all that much in RP – RPing a Hacker is too much like work to me – but I don’t have a lot of trouble interfacing with oldfabulous persons. Really, if oldfabulous persons can only discuss things with other oldfabulous persons, that’s nobody’s fault but their own.

Good RPing should just mesh in. Poor RPing never will, regardless of old vs new statuses.

kraigu

Level 69 Hacker

Mazzon Posted:

First, anything and everything you say will be met with a uniform response of “shut up, **** off, who are you, nobody asked you, go away.”

Beg to disagree. I have several RP alts with whom I post with varying frequency; none have seriously been told to **** off. Maybe I should post more with them I guess, but I really don’t think everybody is as hostile as everybody thinks.

Master_Troll

Level 69 Emo Kid

Mazzon Posted:

New poster here, hi.

Let’s have a quick recap what it’s like to start posting here: First, anything and everything you say will be met with a uniform response of “shut up, **** off, who are you, nobody asked you, go away.” So you tell yourself ok, this is a game about trolling, they’re being ironic, they don’t really hate me. Maybe you convince yourself, maybe you quit, but you’ll never really know for sure.

Second, you look for funny stuff posted by others. You look, and you look… look some more… keep looking… nope, not a thing. The only humour is old posters making jokes about other old posters whom you don’t know so it’s not funny to you.

Third, you find that it’s a generally accepted truth that all new posters suck so anything posted by someone who hasn’t been around forever is going to be viewed with a predisposition that it’ll suck. Ergo, tough crowd.

So I don’t want to complain but the scene here really isn’t the easiest to get in to. But hey, I suppose blaming it on the new guys helps.

Yes I am saying new posters are missing something. You’re not missing it, you can see I was being honest there, but you missed the part where I said it was the older player’s faults too.

The jokes about other users are generally known and easy enough to find. I wasn’t around for Zombei, barely around for iRAWR, never understood Log in to see images! and recall FalconFour’s rage and blinded in it. This doesn’t mean the jokes about them don’t escape me. Humor is all in the presentation, and I suppose it’s a poor presentation to look back on it without being there.

I can’t say any more without being ridiculous or digging a deeper hole and I don’t want to devote my night to this thread so I’m outta here. I’ll check it later but I’ve said what I want to say.

Cheins Sanch-
ez

Avatar: 64305 2015-06-13 02:49:05 -0400

[The Airship]

Level 36 Troll

Rex Sacrorum

**** is meta

also this reminds me of the comic book industry for some reason

Fortunato

Avatar: 72902 2010-02-03 18:45:17 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

ZOMBIE CANNONBALL OF GORE

Mazzon Posted:

New poster here, hi.

Guilty as charged now and then. Log in to see images! It can be an intimidating site to join. That was why I wrote the good posting article. I wanted to help keep people around and maybe inspire creative, fun, but maybe a bit sensitive people to stick around. I did a lousy job of structuring it and the rules forum pretty well overruled it. That’s why it’s been constantly reverted back and forth by ricket and skyman. I washed my hands of it a long, long time ago.

Also it’s a vibe. Patience and lurking are well known forum virtues for good reason. This is a pretty established site, so if you’re new you’re coming into some history. Some of that history is actually pretty awesome, like Myspace Tom and PANTS.

Actually, if you really start looking through full of won, you start to realize that people were just making **** up then just like now. It’s just there were some really creative, funny, awesome people here when the site started and many of them vanished or got permabanned.

So I don’t want to complain but the scene here really isn’t the easiest to get in to.

This is a tough site for a lot of reasons. It’s a nightmare to mod. The simple mod rules of other forums (“don’t be an bumhole”Log in to see images! doesn’t really apply here. Also one of the most fun ways to troll authorities like mods or admins is to nitpick rules. So hence we have one of the most thorough rules pages around and it’s getting longer every day.

Anyway I’d say flamebait is dying but I don’t think it exactly is. I think there’s just a new crew rising again.

I don’t know if a dedicated RP section would help. I don’t know anything really. I’ve been complaining in the rules forum for a few months and it’s funny to me that this thread is out here.

IMO the only thing that can really fix flamebait is a strong fist. Nobody ever got hurt over a dumb ban now and then and it’s time to stop apologizing for doing your jobs, mods. Not that you do exactly now. But i don’t know. I don’t know anymore. Dunno if I care. Most of the people I care most about here I have contact info for offsite. So well the only thing keeping me here right now is scully’s contest.

Drama filled exits have never really been my style. I’ll probably just post less and post less and slowly fade away. I’m glad you .moar grinders like some of my files though Log in to see images!

quangntenemy

Avatar: 14557 2011-10-31 11:07:55 -0400

[WeChall]

Level 69 Troll

:ronpaul: :****ing sucks:

I don’t think it will change anything

quangntenemy

Avatar: 14557 2011-10-31 11:07:55 -0400

[WeChall]

Level 69 Troll

:ronpaul: :****ing sucks:

Also my impression of emohunter was like “Hi guys… bye!” so if he was one of the best RP characters then it really reflects the quality of Flamebate these days

mterek

Avatar: 192622 2009-09-24 16:39:01 -0400

[mahjong]

Level 69 Re-Re

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Master_Troll Posted:

This is not exclusive to new users, nor is it a problem in all new users. But it’s evident that somewhere along the line, new users stopped having what old users have. Be it the knowledge that we’re being ironic, or the inability to stylize their posting method, or something. But they don’t have it.

As one of those users wanting yet unable to merge into RP, I feel I can shed some light on this phenomenon.

We don’t find RP funny.

My background prior to Forumwarz was in anime forums, which is a farcry from the 4chan /b/ or SomethingAwful background of most of the early users here. Even with my imageboard experience is uniquely /a/, so what specialty humour I can contribute doesn’t appeal to 98% of this forum. Like with 4chan, much of the early Forumwarz culture appears to have spun off SomethingAwful and evolved into something new and different. I can definitely say Forumwarz is a different place altogehter, with eerie hints of familiarity here and there.

Once that uniqueness has set in, though, you’re not going to find many people attracted to web culture parody site who are going to have a sudden, intuitive grasp of RP’s humour. They didn’t develop it, and unless they’re newbies who lack experience with web culture in the first place (i.e. the bemoaned, ‘people who don’t realize we’re parodying trolls becoming real trolls’ ), they’ve already got their own sense of funny, but can’t integrate it into RP. It’s Flamebait equivalent of mbumive downvoting.

Sure, it is quality control. But it’s only preserving the quality, preventing improvement (or at least change) as much as preventing decay. Although decay happens naturally without an influx of fresh content, which is why 4chan boards have festered into pits of depravity.

I’ve posted something that got a laugh in RP, but I didn’t really find it funny, I was merely imitating RP style. At the point where I’m not even entertaining myself with what I say, I don’t really feel it’s worth trying to integrate.

EmSee Hamban-
ner

Avatar: 77011 Mon Dec 29 10:38:43 -0500 2008

[TribeGirl]

Level 59 Permanoob

halp et fix this ssoon thx

wate wee cant rp inn dvd cd?

halp et fix this ssoon thx

Claine

Avatar: 124948 Tue Feb 24 04:07:52 -0500 2009

Level 69 Hacker

“Trojan Horse Magnum”

I guess most of you don’t know me. I do an awful lot of lurking and not an awful lot of posting. Part of the reason is that I’m not a great conversationalist, but the other is I’m a huge coward and you guys scare me Log in to see images!.

However, I am a huge RP-fabulous person, and I do have a couple of alts I’ve never really used, which are RP-able. The reason I haven’t really touched the RP forums is because a lot of threads seem to go down like this:

Post 1: An attempt to be witty

Post 2: Wow, quit being so unfunny

Post x: Flamebate isn’t as good as it used to be / Flamebate is dying.

The fact is, that everybody seems to be brewing on Flamebate’s death that new RPers will struggle to break through and that old ones will get tired of it and quit. I know you might not like to hear it, but from this outsiders persepective, you’re killing yourselves. Even an unfunny post can be RPed off in a better fashion than “Stop being unfunny.”

I don’t think a new forum will fix it. Maybe it will in the short term, but I think it is inevitable that it will become the same as the old RP forums. I think the only thing that will fix it (like the only thing that will fix INCIT) is that the community must come together in an attempt to fix it. If you want better RPing, you must do better RPing.

There is only so much the admins can do, such as providing a place and rules – however they can not provide quality RPers. That’s you – the userbase’s job! You have to be in there RPing, and encoraging others to RP.

Kerrigan - Q-
ueen of Blad-
es

Avatar: 196463 2011-11-26 01:50:06 -0500

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 15 Hacker

At this point, I'm pretty much the Queen **** of the Universe.

Fortunato Posted:

Also it’s a vibe. Patience and lurking are well known forum virtues for good reason. This is a pretty established site, so if you’re new you’re coming into some history. Some of that history is actually pretty awesome, like Myspace Tom and PANTS.

I keep seeing those of you who have been around since the beginning waxing poetic over the long lost glory days of Flamebate, yet I have yet to really get a laugh out of most anything I read here. That is not to say that I don’t find some of it amusing or interesting in it’s own right but your nostalgia for a time that may never have properly existed does well to destroy any attempts of revitalization from the newer blood.

In my time observing you all here I have not seen this place as dying so much as ‘evolving’. Unfortunately for you however, you are doing so about as well as humans have ever done and find ways to stunt your own growth. I can only be so thankful that I am not there so that I don’t have to hear what confused and misguided thoughts breed such self-destruction.

Just as the Sons of Korhal and the UED before you, I fully expect your lack of unity to tear you all asunder with only the barest manipulations on my part. But worry not, for like male reproductive organroaches you will last far longer than you ought.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!