Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion

Viewing a Post

mterek

Avatar: 192622 2009-09-24 16:39:01 -0400

[mahjong]

Level 69 Re-Re

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Master_Troll Posted:

There’s very few “good posters” around due to the new userbase’s inability to mesh with the old userbase, therefore old posters can only really discuss things with old posters. There’s rarely someone in IDC that I don’t recognize that is actually entertaining. They’re lacking something that people from a year or more ago have, for the most part.

This is not exclusive to new users, nor is it a problem in all new users. But it’s evident that somewhere along the line, new users stopped having what old users have. Be it the knowledge that we’re being ironic, or the inability to stylize their posting method, or something. But they don’t have it.

As one of those users wanting yet unable to merge into RP, I feel I can shed some light on this phenomenon.

We don’t find RP funny.

My background prior to Forumwarz was in anime forums, which is a farcry from the 4chan /b/ or SomethingAwful background of most of the early users here. Even with my imageboard experience is uniquely /a/, so what specialty humour I can contribute doesn’t appeal to 98% of this forum. Like with 4chan, much of the early Forumwarz culture appears to have spun off SomethingAwful and evolved into something new and different. I can definitely say Forumwarz is a different place altogehter, with eerie hints of familiarity here and there.

Once that uniqueness has set in, though, you’re not going to find many people attracted to web culture parody site who are going to have a sudden, intuitive grasp of RP’s humour. They didn’t develop it, and unless they’re newbies who lack experience with web culture in the first place (i.e. the bemoaned, ‘people who don’t realize we’re parodying trolls becoming real trolls’ ), they’ve already got their own sense of funny, but can’t integrate it into RP. It’s Flamebait equivalent of mbumive downvoting.

Sure, it is quality control. But it’s only preserving the quality, preventing improvement (or at least change) as much as preventing decay. Although decay happens naturally without an influx of fresh content, which is why 4chan boards have festered into pits of depravity.

I’ve posted something that got a laugh in RP, but I didn’t really find it funny, I was merely imitating RP style. At the point where I’m not even entertaining myself with what I say, I don’t really feel it’s worth trying to integrate.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!