Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Goatse.cx So, something happened earlier and apparently it's up to either me or Hobart to bring up these things.

Sneaky27

Avatar: 70951 2010-02-06 21:28:05 -0500

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

1337 has a great idea, here. Make RP mods that can troll people using their mod powers (within reason, to be determined arbitrarily by Admins/McB). Other sites have mods specific to forums, and it works very well. This alleviates the workload on all the mods, and there is somebody specific to receive praise or condemnation for their actions.

With this in mind, I would like to see Hobart as the official RP mod for the Trollhole. Give that forum to him, let him make it his vision of RP for Trolls. Same for the other RP forums, with the exception of Anon as it shouldn’t have any rules/moderation beyond ‘no illegal crap that can get ET arrested’, chose a well known and respected member of the community from each clbum and give them that forum.

Fran

Avatar: 34789 2015-08-06 21:23:09 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 62 Camwhore

I wonder who is the bumbling idiot that still has fake currency on this website and actually spends

Hobart Bliggity Posted:

I’m going to actually seriouspost in GD here, so brace yourselves.

I’m sure it’s no secret that I, along with a few other posters, purposely get banned by doing grey-area things and then try to cause a ****storm because of said ban. In other limited cases, as the one stated by was, we latch on to someone elses ban and raise hell on their behalf. I’m aware that a good number of mods know this game, and play along accordingly. I don’t think I’ve ever talked about the motive behind it though.

First and foremost, causing drama and arguements in CD is about the only ****ing entertaining thing left on these boards. CZs decision to advertise on a few select sites, make the RP boards basically unmoderated, and even create an anon forum has attracted the most boring of all personalities to this community. Sure, its a revolving door of ****ty posters, but the constant volume of crap keeps a lot of the people that actually contribute comedy here away. I realize that this is a business, and I can’t argue their decisions from a bottom-line perspective, but I don’t think anyone can say that the community is better off now than when it was a smaller.

But Im getting off topic. The consistently unfunny barrage in the RP forums, combined with the black-or-white enforcing of rules in CD leaves a lot of the intelligent-but-kind-of-an-bumhole type posters with literally nowhere to post. I know it’s personal preference, but I think all of the best posters in the history here have fallen into that category, and it was those types that really made this place take off in the beginning.

I used to post in full sentences and try to make sense in RP forums. I also used to avoid non-RP because it bored me. Now, I can’t be bothered to put any thought into anything in RP because it’ll just get buried under a steady stream of ****, and CD is so strictly enforced I could never get away with saying what I wanted to. So I’ve devolved into ****posting in RP and way over the top careposting in CD, because it’s really the only way left to get people to react.

I guess I don’t know how I would go about rectifying this, and I can’t imagine it changing anytime soon. Ep 3 is just going to bring in 10,000 new people, 3 of which I’ll probably like and want around. I know I’m an bumhole, and I know “good poster” is subjective, but I can’t help but to try to steer the forums away from the direction they’re headed.

in short Log in to see images!

Couldn’t have said that better myself.

I only lurk on Flamebate nowadays, and post links on Meme Factory every once in a while. I bother with 1 or 2 threads on RP forums but that’s it.

Think we all called this would happen when they basically killed all the moderation on RP? I was trying to deny that, but I think I (and a lot others) always knew that the fun of being in a completely unmoderated area was going to be shorthanded.

Sneaky27

Avatar: 70951 2010-02-06 21:28:05 -0500

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

Fran Posted:

Couldn’t have said that better myself.

I only lurk on Flamebate nowadays, and post links on Meme Factory every once in a while. I bother with 1 or 2 threads on RP forums but that’s it.

Think we all called this would happen when they basically killed all the moderation on RP? I was trying to deny that, but I think I (and a lot others) always knew that the fun of being in a completely unmoderated area was going to be shorthanded.

Who’s definition of fun? I find the RP forums to be more entertaining then they were eight months ago when I joined. I laugh when I see DKR’s blank posts and the inevitable cavalcade of whining that will follow. I think it’s great that RP threads are buried in spam before they have a chance to get stale. This makes for more threads, more chances to get under someone’s skin, and more Kaiser/Nailbomb spam.

Catt although

Avatar: 46806 2022-11-29 03:06:42 +0000

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Last Catt Standing

scully Posted:

I beg to differ. Many of the rules have been put in place at the instigation of the mods, or for the convenience of the mods. Speak the hell up.

It is ridiculous that the rules need to be clarified to the point of coming off like a legal dogreat timesent. People doing the rules changes are freaking clueless and seem to think they need to be clarified for the posters, and that has never been the case. The rules have become a pile of stupid clarifications because the mods act like freaking babies half the time and it is the only way to police them. In order to gain any semblance of fairness things have needed to become more and more black and white. Why? Because “poster A” will not get banned for what “poster B” would get banned for posting.

I don’t know, I’m tired and I’ve ranted about all this way too many times in the past already. I’ll tl;dr at you when I wake up if I’m not banned.

If ET and JB are guilty of anything, it’s of trying to be fair to everyone, but on this site it doesn’t work. Having the rules is fine, but this isn’t a democracy or a legal entity, being intelligent is more important than following the letter of the law.

Fingerz

Avatar: 22863 2010-11-15 01:15:51 -0500

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 35 Emo Kid

A neverhasbeen

was Posted:

Post Script: I still want a reversible pet.

Yes, I have that .gif somewhere, I had the site marked… good stuffs (no pun intended!)!

Catt although

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Last Catt Standing

Sneaky27 Posted:

Who’s definition of fun? I find the RP forums to be more entertaining then they were eight months ago when I joined. I laugh when I see DKR’s blank posts and the inevitable cavalcade of whining that will follow. I think it’s great that RP threads are buried in spam before they have a chance to get stale. This makes for more threads, more chances to get under someone’s skin, and more Kaiser/Nailbomb spam.

It’s an interesting point, obviously the “new” Flamebate does appeal to certain people. I guess the question is if the long term health of Forumwarz is better served by appealing to the “old guard” or the people who are happy now. I don’t know the answer.

Master_Troll

Avatar: 58489 2010-05-26 01:29:58 -0400

Level 69 Emo Kid

Lee_Harvey_Oswald is Pinky and I'm Brain

Tubs summarized the situation best with his banning DerKaiserReich. He had to trick DerKaiser into spamming the thread, which tubs stickied without kaiser’s noticing. So tell me, why would mods have to trick the user into being able to ban them? It sets a bad precedence for how even the Moderation Staff, who are supposed to be the most impartial people around, can’t ban users without exploiting loopholes. Perhaps if there was more of a checks and balances system where so many mods (say like 1/3 of them) have to agree on the banning of a user. Or, as previously suggested, bumign mods to boards or to RP/CD. The main issue with the influx of the new userbase (I have no illusions of my status either, having been here for less than a year I may be “new” but I can still be opinionated) is that their general viewpoint is suddenly important. People from, for example, 4chan could probably not tell the difference between trolling and a general joke. PhineasPoe made a joke, lying about episode 3 in a satirical way so people could tell he was joking. Trolling is outright defending a viewpoint that you don’t believe in, and stringing people into believing you. Trolling is claiming George W. Bush is the Greatest President of our generation, providing false reasons for this claim, and debasing anyone who calls out your claims by saying they are “bumhurt” or claiming they hate freedom or something idk.

The point is, the new users (4chan and ED) Have lost the inability to tell joke from troll, and as such joking is forbidden because their bums get hurt over lies that the rest of us know are false and we laugh at. This won’t change until they change or we get a better standard of rules.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

I’m not sure where I fall on this issue.

One thing I do know is there’s no way to please everyone. We allowed embedded shock in RP because many people didn’t see why that was bannable, but some of those same people are complaining about spam. Both are forms of trolling, and someone finds each kind funny, but what’s funny to one is CLEARLY not funny to another. So how to satisfy everyone? No way.

Musing openly to myself: The game itself is about trolling. Not about camwhoring, not about emo-ing, about trolling. That’s why every single character is represented in sTalks as a male troll. So reflecting that in the RP forums would be right in line, wouldn’t it? Honestly, the vast majority of posters there, no matter WHAT clbum their characters are, talk like trolls. So that’s clearly what the majority of the player base wants, right?

More musing openly to myself: Many of the gone players were funny. I miss the true role-players: Janie, Gunther, Escher, lightning-bolt kid, Balcony Critics, gs49 (who’s not REALLY been posting since embedded shock was permitted), more. But what a lot of the community finds funny is not people who roll-play, but people who troll CD. “Rah-rah, it’ll be funny to get some newbie banned for posting goatse in GD!” That’s what’s considered fun by that handful of people. Do we cater to them and say screw everything? Or do we draw a line? I guess we have to draw a line. Which takes us back to my earlier muse. Nowhere can we draw a line which everybody likes.

Further open musing to myself: Whatever changes we make are going to make someone unhappy. I suppose from a business perspective, CZ needs to change things to support the majority of players, not the handful. If this kills Flamebate then Log in to see images! But it’s a business, and I’m not privy to the knowledge. Hell, for all I know, if the place were completely free from trolls maybe the 98% of people who never post on it would start!

TUBSWEETIE

Avatar: 3450 2011-07-31 00:45:06 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

MY MEMORY IS THAT OF A SMALL GRAPE

i dont want to ban people for stuff in rp because it pulls them out of the game when they aren’t actually breaking site rules.

community bans are required

also with the history of most people itt i’m reserved to put trust or consideration into most of the stuff said here. crying wolf comes to mind. it’s all good points and i’m sure you guys arent ****ing around but 99% of this kind of thing in previous has been bull****

TUBSWEETIE edited this message on 07/10/2009 11:35AM

Master_Troll

Level 69 Emo Kid

Also if we had a middle ground, like if we put the current RP forums there where it’s at mod discretion to ban someone for being disruptive, while we leave like the anon forum with the same rules as RP’s current ruleset.

That would work just as well

Fingerz

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 35 Emo Kid

A neverhasbeen

MB bans need to be separated from full-game bans. EVERY other browser game like this I’ve played has had 2 punishments: Mb banning and jailing. Mb bans were reserved for when someone was being an annoying spammer/trolling/breaking MB rules only, and jailings were reserved for people who did really bad stuff like bug exploiting and other forms of cheating, or for the rare MB Spammers who really couldn’t grasp the concept of “no spam really I mean it”.

Why don’t we have something like this here?

TUBSWEETIE

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

dunno why spam is encouraged in rp. nailbomb thinks it’s a personal challenge to do like the RP logo says. (which is the kind of mindset that only comes from 4chan and is detrimental to this society)

then i’m under the impression that i shouldn’t ban anyone in rp unless it’s an actual rulebreak.

i’d personally rather not see more rules for specific things like prolific spamming. we dont need specific bannable things. i always prefered blanket statements that give me free reign to punish people who are being downright dumb and distruptive.

this could be accomplished with communityposting bans.

it might also affect illegal alt production as there’s still something to do while you’re banned from flamebate

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Fingerz Posted:

Why don’t we have something like this here?

Our version is temp and perma. That’s why people get to keep coming back over and over again to repeat offend.

TUBSWEETIE Posted:

i’d personally rather not see more rules for specific things like prolific spamming. we dont need specific bannable things. i always prefered blanket statements that give me free reign to punish people who are being downright dumb and distruptive.

That’s what got us into this mess in the first place! People complaining about subjective modding.

Fingerz

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 35 Emo Kid

A neverhasbeen

MC Banhammer Posted:

...temp and perma…

Right, but both are full game bans, not just MB bans. Someone who spams CD shouldn’t be banned from the entire game. Let them run their forum visits. Let them TM people (without spamming ofc). Mayeb even let them submit to the buildrs, I dunno. The problem here is that the punishment in this community rarely fits the “crime” and this is probably a big part of why Flamebate and the community as a whole has gotten as ****ty as it is.

TUBSWEETIE

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

MC Banhammer Posted:

That’s what got us into this mess in the first place! People complaining about subjective modding.

see, we can’t win.

communitybans would be good because i could ban someone for being a fabulous person in rp but even if it’s a bull**** ban they still have the rest of the site working and aren’t locked out.

pretty sure people would complain less about moderation and subjectivity if they weren’t booted out of the ENTIRE GAME for being a moron in a forum

TUBSWEETIE edited this message on 07/10/2009 12:01PM

Master_Troll

Level 69 Emo Kid

TUBSWEETIE and MC Banhammer Posted:

Baww we can’t win please feel sorry for us

Master_Troll Posted:

Have a checks and balances system wherein a number of mods (say 1/3) come to a consensus on what is being disruptive

Just FYI. Maybe if only an outright ban were left up to discussion and like mods could delete posts at their own discretion but srsly, checks and balances cancel out “selective” modding and remove the need for rules that look like the constitution when it comes to how restricted they are

PS also consider my option where we have 3 groups: CD, RP, and Anon with varying levels of lawlessness

Master_Troll edited this message on 07/10/2009 12:04PM

Catt although

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Last Catt Standing

Master_Troll Posted:

Also if we had a middle ground, like if we put the current RP forums there where it’s at mod discretion to ban someone for being disruptive, while we leave like the anon forum with the same rules as RP’s current ruleset.

That would work just as well

I’ve suggested something like this as well, only have the actual RP forums (Trollhole, GRP, Goto 10, etc.) have the current rules, and have the IRL forums and a couple of others have more of a rule by mod-discretion.

TUBSWEETIE

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

Master_Troll Posted:

Just FYI. Maybe if only an outright ban were left up to discussion and like mods could delete posts at their own discretion but srsly, checks and balances cancel out “selective” modding and remove the need for rules that look like the constitution when it comes to how restricted they are

PS also consider my option where we have 3 groups: CD, RP, and Anon with varying levels of lawlessness

you have no idea how hard intermod discussion is.

if you have ever seen a bull**** ban since the new mods got promoted it’s because they don’t check for second/third opinions on borderline stuff.

no offense new mods. mod forum is mostly deserted, emails infrequent, gtalk only comes open when i’m poking people myself. you know who you are if you don’t apply to that statement.

TUBSWEETIE edited this message on 07/10/2009 12:12PM

Master_Troll

Level 69 Emo Kid

TUBSWEETIE Posted:

you have no idea how hard intermod discussion is.

if you have ever seen a bull**** ban since the new mods got promoted it’s because they don’t check for second/third opinions on borderline stuff.

imo remove that power completely from Admins/Banhammer and you and make the other mods have to file “reports” that if enough of them agree on it (like if 5 mods exist, then 2 of them have to agree and whatnot)

or communitty bans would work the best

Fingerz

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 35 Emo Kid

A neverhasbeen

TUBSWEETIE Posted:

pretty sure people would complain less about moderation and subjectivity if they weren’t booted out of the ENTIRE GAME for being a moron in a forum

Again, I’ve never seen an online game which wove the game itself so tightly into its forum. The forum should be separate from the game, and acting up in the forum should not result in being barred from playing the game itself. Unless ofc you’re doing something really bad like maybe posting IRL info on the forum or something Log in to see images!

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!