Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Business MasterBall-gate

Possibly a C-
abbage

Avatar: 76887 Fri Oct 24 03:39:44 -0400 2008

[Leafy Green Vegeta-
bles
]

Level 35 Hacker

Herbaceous, biennial, dicotyledonous , and flowering.

Acid Flux Posted:

You say that I’m ‘blinded’ to the situation because I’m trying to capitalize on it. I say that you’re ‘blinded’, because you cannot capitalize on the situation.

Am I not blinded because I’m not in position to capitalize on this situation, and I agree with you?

It’s also important to keep in mind that people not in position to capitalize on this now, could put themselves in position to capitalize later by buying up Master Balls now while the supply is relatively fluid and people are looking to make a quick buck, and then reselling them later at a higher price after they’ve become rarer.

Of course, they could always show up in Ppwn and become comparatively worthless again, but that’s just the risk you’d have to take. This is the reason that I hope ET doesn’t tell us whether or not the master ball will show up in the ppwn rotation. It takes the guessing out of the “should I buy now, to resell at a higher price later” game.

Acid Flux

Avatar: 6767 Tue Mar 17 11:41:54 -0400 2009

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

KYOUBAI IS SUPER-SERIOUS BUSINESS

Possibly a Cabbage Posted:

Am I not blinded because I’m not in position to capitalize on this situation, and I agree with you?

No, I mean that EVECHARM is upset that she doesn’t now have the opportunity to capitalize on the situation, when she was previously selling Master Balls. That’s the main point of this dispute, is that some players now have an advantage in striving for the Flezz Leaderboard. But there have been many, many past situations where one group of players had an advantage over others regarding a Leaderboard. That’s the ebb & flow of the game.

It’s also important to keep in mind that people not in position to capitalize on this now, could put themselves in position to capitalize later by buying up Master Balls now while the supply is relatively fluid and people are looking to make a quick buck, and then reselling them later at a higher price after they’ve become rarer.

In fact, there are at least two players that I know that are trying to do that, and probably more.

Of course, they could always show up in Ppwn and become comparatively worthless again, but that’s just the risk you’d have to take. This is the reason that I hope ET doesn’t tell us whether or not the master ball will show up in the ppwn rotation. It takes the guessing out of the “should I buy now, to resell at a higher price later” game.

I completely agree. I prefer there to be a risk involved here, so that it’s not a ‘guaranteed’ advantage. If he says they wont show up (like the Headsets won’t), then I can expect to see them sell for a hell of alot more than they are right now If he says they will show up, then my investment devalues.

I prefer the excitement of speculation. If we’re spoon fed every single bit of information, then we might as well automate the entire site.

Or better yet, just run it as a simulation and e-mail me the results.

I’ve accidentally listed the ‘Flame War’ book for 70K before, because I wasn’t paying close enough attention and thought it was the ‘Hacker Hero’ book. I’ve done that more than once, actually. And I’ve even accidentally listed a Pink Flyod with a Buy It Now intended for another file (i.e., I sold it for about 50K… but I didn’t make that mistake more than once, heh)

And yet, I shrugged it off as a bump in the road, since I wasn’t paying close enough attention to what I was doing. Because it was no one’s fault except my own.

EVECHARM

Avatar: 114577 Tue Feb 17 05:11:14 -0500 2009

[pizza party]

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

I’m just gonna do the recap

Acid Flux Posted:

So, to recap:

1. There was a 40 day prior notice that items in the Co-Op Store were not permanently going to be in that store.

2. There was never any mention that any other ‘warning’ would be given about when the items would be ‘discontinued’.

3. The Master & Dragon Balls were Special Items, and (along with the moar files) are not normally seen in a ‘Regular Store’.

4. I (and other players) decided to take a risk and invest in these items. Those of us that had larger reserves of Flezz were able to invest more into this speculation, which is common sense.

5. We waited, hoping that we chose wisely. We knew that one possibility was that ET would never get around to taking them out of the Co-Op (thereby making our investment virtually pointless), or that he would revalue the Dragon Balls to be less than the Master Balls (thereby significantly devaluing half of the items we had purchased on speculation). In other words, we chose to take a financial risk.

6. The items were removed from the Co-Op, and now their value has increased, as demonstrated by the Buyers willingness to pay for these items.

1. The 40 days thing, It’s like ET saying EP3 is in the making and all of a sudden 3 months later it’s out without another word said by it, people would be taken by surprised.

2. Just because it isn’t stated that there will be a warning when, we shouldn’t expect one? This game does have a tendency for “fixs” not to be well received but hell a flamebate post or updating the blog should have at least been given if something as big as items never ever appearing again, BEFORE they deleted them, not when they were talking about making item buildr.

3. Well they appeared in the ppwn shop, and there really is no reason ET can’t slip them into all the ep2 shops, so I don’t know how that counts as a point

4 and 5. you and the other like 2-3 people seem that bought them, seem to think that buying them was a risk. I see betting 2 million in flezz on blackjack being a risk. a Item you guys were selling for the AH epeen, a Item you’d have 4 days (4 not 40) if a better item was going to come out, a Item that was making you flezz and peen at any price you were selling it? come on, did anyone really think the price of masterballs were going to go down, even if they did has something ever dropped by more then 50k?

6. You have your auction to prove it, 6 million. If ET had any intention of making item value jump up that much and flip make a p. big impact economy, that with the exception of you and the few others wanted to happen. Let him come say it.

Really I’m done arguing on this, it’s never going to end.

All I want to know is, Will masterballs and dragonballs be in the ppwn shop or not Log in to see images!

Acid Flux

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

EVECHARM Posted:

I’m just gonna do the recap

1. The 40 days thing, It’s like ET saying EP3 is in the making and all of a sudden 3 months later it’s out without another word said by it, people would be taken by surprised.

Episode Three coming out is a much, much bigger event that a few items being discontinued.
And the surprise would be in the exact timing, not that it happened at all.
I’ve got Brownie Points set aside for Episode 3, just in case, even though the cost hasn’t been verified yet.
In other words, I’m planning ahead.

2. Just because it isn’t stated that there will be a warning when, we shouldn’t expect one? This game does have a tendency for “fixs” not to be well received but hell a flamebate post or updating the blog should have at least been given if something as big as items never ever appearing again, BEFORE they deleted them, not when they were talking about making item buildr.

First, there was a warning (as you agreed above), but not a specific time/date stamp. Second, if there is no indication or statement that a ‘heads up’ will be given, then bumuming that there would be a ‘heads up’ is just that, an bumumption. Making that bumumption instead of the alternative was the bad choice in this situation.

3. Well they appeared in the ppwn shop, and there really is no reason ET can’t slip them into all the ep2 shops, so I don’t know how that counts as a point

I missed that. When did they appear in the Ppwn Shoppe, and are you talking about the Balls or the moar file?

4 and 5. you and the other like 2-3 people seem that bought them, seem to think that buying them was a risk. I see betting 2 million in flezz on blackjack being a risk. a Item you guys were selling for the AH epeen, a Item you’d have 4 days (4 not 40) if a better item was going to come out, a Item that was making you flezz and peen at any price you were selling it? come on, did anyone really think the price of masterballs were going to go down, even if they did has something ever dropped by more then 50k?

In other words, I made an investment decision based on the bumumption that they would increase in price?
Yes, I thought it was more likely that the value would increase rather than decrease. If I thought the value would decrease… well, then I wouldn’t have made the investment.
You’re simply proving my point for me. I evaluated the situation, and chose to make an investment, and there was absolutely no guarantee that the investment would pay off, but it was still a smart investment. I expected perhaps a 20-30% increase in value, or if I was really lucky, maybe even 80-100%. I got lucky, and I hope it pays off as well as everyone seems to bumume it will.

6. You have your auction to prove it, 6 million. If ET had any intention of making item value jump up that much and flip make a p. big impact economy, that with the exception of you and the few others wanted to happen. Let him come say it.

How would that change anything? If he states that he did want it to sell for that much, then why not then ask him to increase the Base Cost appropriately, and then I’ll just sell them in the Ppwn Shoppe.
If he states that he didn’t intend for it to sell for that much, then how is this any different from the Pink Floyds and other moar files? IIRC, he’s previously stated that he didn’t intend or expect for them to sell for that much.

Really I’m done arguing on this, it’s never going to end.
All I want to know is, Will masterballs and dragonballs be in the ppwn shop or not Log in to see images!
I prefer not to know. Let people continue to speculate. It’s more fun that way.

I mean, seriously people. We, as players, have had to generate virtually every piece of ‘help & FAQ manual’ in this game, via the Wiki, for everything from what abilities are available for which clbumes at which times, what the Attributes do, what the maximum benefit from any Attribute is, the stats for moar files, etc., etc. ET has traditionally been quiet in regards to the specifics on many aspects of gameplay. I’m still not 100% sure on how the Ppwn Shoppe resale/purchase price versus Base Cost system works. And I’ve seen some items that have very similar Base Costs, but Frugality seems to have a different percentage effect on them. Hell, the fact that Frugality’s maximum benefit changed, twice IIRC, wasn’t announced.

Why do you want everything spoonfed to you? Did you go through the Trapped in the Cupboard sidequest on your own, or did you use the Wiki? What about the BubbleTroll Adventure? Did you check the Wiki for the best responses on all of your STalk conversations? What’s happened to having a few surprises along the way?

Besides, like I said. it’s more fun this way.

EVECHARM

Avatar: 114577 Tue Feb 17 05:11:14 -0500 2009

[pizza party]

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

Acid Flux Posted:

I prefer not to know. Let people continue to speculate. It’s more fun that way.

I mean, seriously people. We, as players, have had to generate virtually every piece of ‘help & FAQ manual’ in this game, via the Wiki, for everything from what abilities are available for which clbumes at which times, what the Attributes do, what the maximum benefit from any Attribute is, the stats for moar files, etc., etc. ET has traditionally been quiet in regards to the specifics on many aspects of gameplay. I’m still not 100% sure on how the Ppwn Shoppe resale/purchase price versus Base Cost system works. And I’ve seen some items that have very similar Base Costs, but Frugality seems to have a different percentage effect on them. Hell, the fact that Frugality’s maximum benefit changed, twice IIRC, wasn’t announced.

Why do you want everything spoonfed to you? Did you go through the Trapped in the Cupboard sidequest on your own, or did you use the Wiki? What about the BubbleTroll Adventure? Did you check the Wiki for the best responses on all of your STalk conversations? What’s happened to having a few surprises along the way?

Besides, like I said. it’s more fun this way.

Well I’m done arguing but I’ll answer questions. Yes I would prefer to know everything, heck I don’t expect you to agree, it’s making you more money not knowing then they’d know if it was going to show up. And yes every item on the coop has been in the ppwn shop, they’d show up there the day after it was made, and were in the rotation, Doesn’t mean ET took them out tho.

And yes I used the wiki for trapped in the closet for the peen, not sure how your suppose to get one point any other way, and nah not for my first 4 alts, but for my other like 10 I used the good and evil wiki parts, even had to edit one of them Log in to see images!

I rather know, plan and work in a stable economy in my games, then one that rewards a random action by 20x. I tend to get that from all those damn rpgs Log in to see images! EVECHARM edited this message on 04/20/2009 3:30PM

Acid Flux

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

I do see your side of this debate, I really do. However, if there were no ‘chaotic & random elements’, then the game would remain very static, and the Leaderboards would be pretty much locked in place as they are, until someone decided to quit grinding.

An element of chaos keeps things interesting.

Possibly a C-
abbage

[Leafy Green Vegeta-
bles
]

Level 35 Hacker

Really, a virtual economy where items only become less valuable over time (like .moar files) or remain at a fixed price (like all of the items in NPC shops), is really, terribly stale and uninteresting. Things have to be able to change in price, both positively and negatively, in order to really call it an economy. When formerly rare and expensive things can become widely available and inexpensive and formerly commonplace items become rare and valuable, that’s what makes virtual economies interesting.

If nothing other than headsets and the falcon plaque are ever “luxury items that not everybody can get” there’s really no point to having kyoubai in the game. And those are items that exist in quantities of less than a dozen. It would be nice to have a few desirable luxury items that there are a few hundred of, so even new players could have a reasonable expectation of acquiring a few of them if things break their way.

Possibly a Cabbage edited this message on 04/20/2009 6:08PM

Electric-Tur-
tle-02

[spots-****]

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

^in agreement with vegetation.

meeeeeeeeee

Avatar: 15443 2010-04-04 18:27:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Sneakily vicious and filled with virtuous pit bulls.

Possibly a Cabbage Posted:

Really, a virtual economy where items only become less valuable over time (like .moar files) or remain at a fixed price (like all of the items in NPC shops), is really, terribly stale and uninteresting. Things have to be able to change in price, both positively and negatively, in order to really call it an economy. When formerly rare and expensive things can become widely available and inexpensive and formerly commonplace items become rare and valuable, that’s what makes virtual economies interesting.

If nothing other than headsets and the falcon plaque are ever “luxury items that not everybody can get” there’s really no point to having kyoubai in the game. And those are items that exist in quantities of less than a dozen. It would be nice to have a few desirable luxury items that there are a few hundred of, so even new players could have a reasonable expectation of acquiring a few of them if things break their way.

True, but there are two issues.

First, the question of scale – should an item that a minority of players have a large stock of multiply in value? Perhaps they should be rewarded for their prescience, at least in Acid Fluxes case – Inertia and the other guy just got lucky because they were boosting their auction seller value. If they are rewarded, we have to bear in mind it renders months of effort by many players (performing stale activities to work towards an almost impossible goal) null and void.

And second, is such a dynamic economy going to be by design (i.e. sustained) or by accident as in this case, with all the negative connotations stemming from the unplanned case. Acid Fluxes achievement here is unrepeatable, so he effectively gets handed an ‘you win’ card, and everyone else playing the same game gets a ‘**** you’ card. And to deal with these consequences, we end up artificially manipulating the top end of leaderboards, or else giving up on another game goal after months of effort, which is, you know, kind of a mbumive kick in the nuts. I just got spectacularly griefed by a badly designed game, and yes I share a big part in the blame for that, by playing the game in the first place. The lesson I therefore learn, is not to bother.

Sergeant Cid

Avatar: 167814 2011-07-31 00:46:27 -0400

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Scientifically Proven Terrible fabulous person..... Evidence shows mbumive build up of semen deposit in bum.

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

The lesson I therefore learn, is not to bother.

I politely disagree. I think it can encourage people to keep an eye out for possible opportunities, not just in the Flezz Leaderboard, but in many aspects of the game.

And if nothing else, these types of situations can give us relevant data & experience to make positive adjustments to the game.

For example, I’m not sure how high a bid can go on these Balls before they get flagged as ‘abuse’, and obviously, I don’t want that to happen.

As a solution for future issues, perhaps instead of having an abuse flag, perhaps we can have a ‘bid ceiling’? Perhaps no more than 10X the Base Cost of the item? If that bid is ever reached, the Auction ends immediately, and whoever bid that amount first wins the item.

We learn and grow from our experiences, both as individuals and a community

meeeeeeeeee

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Sergeant Cid Posted:

I politely disagree.

The only tools with which I have to compete with your advantage are the same ones I had already. And you’ve got those as well. So your advantage is unbeatable. So why bother to compete?

Sergeant Cid

Avatar: 167814 2011-07-31 00:46:27 -0400

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Scientifically Proven Terrible fabulous person..... Evidence shows mbumive build up of semen deposit in bum.

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

The only tools with which I have to compete with your advantage are the same ones I had already. And you’ve got those as well. So your advantage is unbeatable. So why bother to compete?

Because I may miss the next ‘golden opportunity’, and you might not, and then you’ve either reduced or eliminated my advantage, and perhaps achieved a greater one as well.

Electric-Tur-
tle-02

[spots-****]

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

... economy going to be by design (i.e. sustained) or by accident as in this case, with all the negative connotations stemming from the unplanned case.

advocating a planned economy? your Log in to see images!

Possibly a C-
abbage

[Leafy Green Vegeta-
bles
]

Level 35 Hacker

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

Well… some investments are going to work out and some aren’t. Suppose the next big “invest in me item” comes out and Acid Flux, flush with success over the master balls, buys in really heavy. Then, a week later another big “stock up on me, I’m going to be worth millions” flezz item shows up, and most of Flux’s flezz is tied up in investments, so he can’t buy nearly as many, but somebody who didn’t buy so heavy into that first item can get an edge on Flux by buying more of the second item. Particularly, if the second item is strictly preferable to the first (dragon balls took a hit as an investment after the master ball showed up, after all), Flux and anybody who bought in heavily to item A could take a bath.

Honestly, the way to both make the economy work and to make the flezz peen actually acquirable by people is to fill the market with a lot of things that people want to have, but are limited in quantity in some sense. A smart investor might do reliably well with a diversified portfolio, but a ballsy investor might do even better by investing in one thing to the exclusion of anything else. Sometimes smarts will beat balls, sometimes balls will beat smarts. But if there’s some way to get rich that’s not “grind”, the game vastly improves for it.

meeeeeeeeee

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Electric-Turtle-02 Posted:

advocating a planned economy? your Log in to see images!

Forumwarz is a mockery of a real economy. It doesn’t even begin to have the same checks and balances that would make such a thing viable.

meeeeeeeeee edited this message on 04/21/2009 1:31AM

meeeeeeeeee

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Sergeant Cid Posted:

Because I may miss the next ‘golden opportunity’, and you might not, and then you’ve either reduced or eliminated my advantage, and perhaps achieved a greater one as well.

So, continue to grind until ET ****s up again? I choose no, both for the reason that it might be a long wait, and even if it’s not, I don’t *want* to win by relying on a game designer to make a mistake.

Possibly a C-
abbage

[Leafy Green Vegeta-
bles
]

Level 35 Hacker

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

So, continue to grind until ET ****s up again? I choose no, both for the reason that it might be a long wait, and even if it’s not, I don’t *want* to win by relying on a game designer to make a mistake.

Well, we can either encourage him to **** up more, or we can basically create a framework for this. I would suggest the following:

Currently ET thinks that there aren’t enough pieces of equipment in the clbum stores, so for now let itembuildr help fill out each store until ET determines that store has enough items.

When a store is “full” only add an item from the itembuildr co-op to that store if it replaces a current item of the same type in that store. Let ET and/or a group of trusted advisors make the call whether the new item should replace the old item, and only replace item A with item B if they’re of comparable power levels and prices. This is also a good place to cull the many, many violations of itembuildr’s “no copyrighted images” that we see run rampant, as those items should be dismissed immediately.

Otherwise, leave items in the co-op for, say, a month while the decision of “what should it replace, if anything” is made, and for items that don’t have an bumociated NPC store (e.g. special items), they just disappear into the aether after a month.

I think this would result in a reasonably active and interesting economy. It’s a start at least.

kittiejenn

Avatar: 18080 2011-11-01 00:29:42 -0400

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 35 Emo Kid

So damn naughty it wraps back around to nice.

Complete set of all 7 Dragon Balls is in the ppwn shop today. If it’s showing up, I bumume Master Balls will also.

Sarcasm Inc

Avatar: 124937 2010-01-24 16:34:47 -0500

[pizza party]

Level 69 Hacker

Not needed anymore now that we have the SarcMark

kittiejenn Posted:

Complete set of all 7 Dragon Balls is in the ppwn shop today. If it’s showing up, I bumume Master Balls will also.

Cue the bottom falling out of the market…Log in to see images!

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

kittiejenn Posted:

whoa its price dropped more than 50%, damn

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!