Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Help Question concerning books

Sneaky27

Avatar: 70951 2010-02-06 21:28:05 -0500

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

At what point in the game are books supposed to be equipable?

Bling Fling

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

Right after you beat CuddleNet.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Alternatively, if you acquire one through, say, an auction, you’d instantly gain the ability to equip it then. If you find it’s not working that way, file a bug report: ET told me earlier today that it’s supposed to work this way.

pieyum

Avatar: 104284 Thu Jan 22 21:59:47 -0500 2009

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 33 Hacker

“01001000 01000001 01011000”

MC Banhammer Posted:

Alternatively, if you acquire one through, say, an auction, you’d instantly gain the ability to equip it then. If you find it’s not working that way, file a bug report: ET told me earlier today that it’s supposed to work this way.

Really if that’s true why don’t they just give you the shot to begin with?

Sneaky27

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

MC Banhammer Posted:

I asked mainly because I’ve had ‘The Art of Flame War’ practically since Kyoubai launched, but was only able to equip it today. My bumumption was that it was an Ep.2 feature only. Thanks for the clarification.

Acid Flux

Avatar: 6767 Tue Mar 17 11:41:54 -0400 2009

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

KYOUBAI IS SUPER-SERIOUS BUSINESS

MC Banhammer Posted:

I knew I meant to add something to my Storefront.

Possibly a C-
abbage

Avatar: 76887 Fri Oct 24 03:39:44 -0400 2008

[Leafy Green Vegeta-
bles
]

Level 35 Hacker

Herbaceous, biennial, dicotyledonous , and flowering.

MC Banhammer Posted:

Hmmm… when I was going through episode 2, I got the Democrat book from Reilly O’Bill and couldn’t equip it because I hadn’t unlocked the bookstore yet. I knew I couldn’t equip it because it went under “Unequippable Items”, and so I sold it at Ppwn thinking it was some sort of Troll-specific item. I now regret selling it for like 12 flezz.

Are you telling me that I should have been able to equip it? Any chance I can get that book back without paying Kyoubai prices? Log in to see images!

TUBSWEETIE

Avatar: 3450 2011-07-31 00:45:06 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

MY MEMORY IS THAT OF A SMALL GRAPE

I think we’d all like some official confirmation on books & kyoubai.

Shouldn’t it always require the store access before they become useable?

Acid Flux

Avatar: 6767 Tue Mar 17 11:41:54 -0400 2009

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

KYOUBAI IS SUPER-SERIOUS BUSINESS

TUBSWEETIE Posted:

I think we’d all like some official confirmation on books & kyoubai.

Shouldn’t it always require the store access before they become useable?

I think that once Kyoubai launched, certain requirements were made more lax. Which makes sense. If you have to wait until a Bookstore opens before you can know how to use a book, then Kyoubai should qualify as such. And even that makes little sense. Why does a game event have to unlock before an item can be used?

glowspawn

[Uber-Newbz]

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

I have an episode 1 character (go on, call me cheap) with “I Almost Had Sex With a Woman: Memoirs of a Hacker Hero” and it’s still shown as an unequippable item. Bought on first day of Kyoubai.

I thought books were not supposed to be clbum-specific, so at least for me, the Ep.2 store requirement has not been lifted.

Perhaps ET’s “fix” only applies to characters who buy books now, but not those who bought them in the past?

Sneaky27

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

glowspawn Posted:

I have an episode 1 character (go on, call me cheap) with “I Almost Had Sex With a Woman: Memoirs of a Hacker Hero” and it’s still shown as an unequippable item. Bought on first day of Kyoubai.

I thought books were not supposed to be clbum-specific, so at least for me, the Ep.2 store requirement has not been lifted.

Perhaps ET’s “fix” only applies to characters who buy books now, but not those who bought them in the past?

That totally makes sense. I bought Art of Flame War when Kyoubai launched, but recently bought I Almost Had Sex With a Woman: Memoirs of a Hacker Hero. You should test the theory out by buying another book and seeing if that triggers the fix.

MagusDiablo

Avatar: 111037 Thu Feb 05 18:28:16 -0500 2009

Level 69 Troll

I'm taking FlameBate as my playfield

To me worked slightly different. It was unequippable before the maintenance that took almost a day. After, I have equipped my “Art of Flame War” without mistakes.

The Ferv

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

I bought the Art of Flamewar from Kyoubai and was able to equip it shortly after Kyoubai went up. Took a few days, IIRC, but I know that it was before the maintenance.

Since then, I’ve bought What Do You Call a Democrat?, 59 Recipes For Water, and Hacker Hero. They’re all working fine for me.

Acid Flux Posted:

I think that once Kyoubai launched, certain requirements were made more lax. Which makes sense. If you have to wait until a Bookstore opens before you can know how to use a book, then Kyoubai should qualify as such. And even that makes little sense. Why does a game event have to unlock before an item can be used?

Also, this. If an internet nerd requires a bookstore to learn how to read books (makes a certain degree of sense, I’ll admit), then a store where one is able to buy books, even if it is only an auction house, ought to qualify as a “bookstore”. After all, what good little self-respecting troll or hacker would be able to walk around a store without fingering all the goods at least a little (no pun intended)?

I’m still having trouble with the idea of camwhores or permanoobs being able to read at all, though. I’m sure I’ll think of something eventually. Log in to see images! The Ferv edited this message on 02/15/2009 2:34PM

glowspawn

[Uber-Newbz]

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Followup:

Just wanted to let everyone know, I bought “The Art of Flame War” on Kyoubai on 2009/02/16, and right after I took the attachment from Tubmail, I was able to equip the previously unequippable “I Almost Had Sex With a Woman: Memoirs of a Hacker Hero” (purchased way back in January).

So if books are still shown as unequippable items in your equipment page, buying another should fix it.

Thanks to Sneaky27, MagusDiablo, and The Ferv for their input.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!