Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Poll Petition To make ForumWarz Open Source

CaptainDDL

Avatar: 34340 2009-09-30 16:41:31 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 63 Troll

Fran's Beautiful Lover XOXOXOXOXO

This sounds like a really bad idea. Why should CZ open up their source code to the general public? Someone could take it, make a few modifications and call it their own. What other decent browser-based games make their code public?

Are-

Avatar: 90963 Mon Dec 15 03:10:56 -0500 2008

[Giveupalready]

Level 35 Hacker

The Biscuit Kid is my GOD, and I'm a piece of ****!

So basiaclly, you don’t really mean to make it opensource when you say you want to make it opensource.

Nice, gg.

Bonkenhi

Avatar: 75529 Sat Nov 22 17:24:38 -0500 2008

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

Probably the worst proposal I’ve ever seen, I’m afraid. There’s just no good reason for this to happen.

Black Hole

Level 14 Emo Kid

“Crybaby”

ChunkyLover53 Posted:

What I meant by that was that there would be rules in place to keep people from screwing with the game. Now, these rules are not up for me to determine. The responsibility for that goes to people like CZ and the moderators.

Then you should never have said open source.

Fran

Avatar: 34789 2015-08-06 21:23:09 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 62 Camwhore

I wonder who is the bumbling idiot that still has fake currency on this website and actually spends

Bonkenhi Posted:

Probably the worst proposal I’ve ever seen, I’m afraid. There’s just no good reason for this to happen.

Indeed, this is even worse than the INCIT on iPhone application.

Laguna

Avatar: 49898 Sun Dec 28 00:52:49 -0500 2008

Level 35 Troll

I LOVE LAGUNA. I ALSO LOVE SUCKING FAT male reproductive organS.

Nah…

male reproductive organFACEPANTS

Avatar: 60174 2010-06-14 22:20:22 -0400

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 65 Troll

REDNECK fine upstanding member of societyfabulous person WHORE

I will bumume that by open source you mean “open to everyone” because anything else is not open source.

If FWZ went open source, two things would happen:

1- It would get forked. There will be a free version of it the very next day.

2- Everyone will be able to implement their ideas without need for ET to do it. The problem is, 99% of the ideas I’m seeing are concentrated purified rubbish (IMHO).

DICKFACEPANTS edited this message on 01/02/2009 8:02AM

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

I’m a big fan of open source technologies. Forumwarz runs on a ****load of them (Linux, Ruby, Rails, mysql, memcached, sphinx, Haml, monit, probably dozens of others.)

Having said that, I’m not convinced it really works for games, or at least it hasn’t so far.

I’m much more willing to help expose APIs to any developers who want to work on Forumwarz than give out all our source code. As some other people mentioned, if I gave it out, someone could in theory start up a copycat site, make BP free and put us out of business Log in to see images!

Tig O-Bitties

Avatar: 24201 Thu Nov 06 12:02:31 -0500 2008

[The Flamers of Loa-
thing
]

Level 33 Camwhore

“Courte-chan”

I don’t think open source works for browser-based games. It can work for casual games and platform games, but for something like Forumwarz, I don’t see how it could be beneficial to either side (CZ or the players).

ChunkyLover53

Avatar: 77252 Mon Dec 22 11:59:25 -0500 2008

[LemonParty]

Level 16 Hacker

I AM A ****ING IDIOT x9001 PLEASE IGNORE ME

Evil Trout Posted:

I’m a big fan of open source technologies. Forumwarz runs on a ****load of them (Linux, Ruby, Rails, mysql, memcached, sphinx, Haml, monit, probably dozens of others.)

Having said that, I’m not convinced it really works for games, or at least it hasn’t so far.

I’m much more willing to help expose APIs to any developers who want to work on Forumwarz than give out all our source code. As some other people mentioned, if I gave it out, someone could in theory start up a copycat site, make BP free and put us out of business Log in to see images!

Couldn’t someone already do that if they really wanted to.

ChunkyLover53

[LemonParty]

Level 16 Hacker

Goatse II Posted:

I will bumume that by open source you mean “open to everyone” because anything else is not open source.

If FWZ went open source, two things would happen:

1- It would get forked. There will be a free version of it the very next day.

2- Everyone will be able to implement their ideas without need for ET to do it. The problem is, 99% of the ideas I’m seeing are concentrated purified rubbish (IMHO).

I didn’t say ET wouldn’t be able to approve the ideas himself.

CreepPipe

Avatar: 4204 2010-01-24 16:18:28 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 69 Troll

MOOOOOS ARE BELOW ME

By no means should the code to Forumwarz be made accessible to the public. It would cause far many more problems than it provides positive third party content. I’m not even that familiar with Rails, however I’m sure I would be able to find something to exploit. Put that in the hands of someone whom actually has a decent amount of knowledge on Rails and it could become disastrous.

I am however for some sort of API which could be implemented fairly simple using RSS or JSON calls.

But as far as opening up the actual code to the public…bad idea.

ChunkyLover53

[LemonParty]

Level 16 Hacker

CreepPipe Posted:

By no means should the code to Forumwarz be made accessible to the public. It would cause far many more problems than it provides positive third party content. I’m not even that familiar with Rails, however I’m sure I would be able to find something to exploit. Put that in the hands of someone whom actually has a decent amount of knowledge on Rails and it could become disastrous.

I am however for some sort of API which could be implemented fairly simple using RSS or JSON calls.

But as far as opening up the actual code to the public…bad idea.

I wasn’t proposing to make the entire source code available to the public.

And if Open Source has worked for other online applications, why wouldn’t it work for ForumWarz.

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

ChunkyLover53 Posted:

Couldn’t someone already do that if they really wanted to.

Make a copycat of Forumwarz?

Sure, it’s possible. But it tooks years of coding to get Forumwarz to this point. Any copycat would have to put in an equivalent amount of work.

If the source code was available it would just be the issue of setting up a server properly. In other words, days of work instead of years.

ChunkyLover53 Posted:

And if Open Source has worked for other online applications, why wouldn’t it work for ForumWarz.

Well I can’t think of any games like this that have done it. Maybe a content management system can be open source, or blog software or a message board. But an entire game?

Evil Trout edited this message on 01/02/2009 1:16PM

CaptainDDL

Avatar: 34340 2009-09-30 16:41:31 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 63 Troll

Fran's Beautiful Lover XOXOXOXOXO

edit: sniped Log in to see images! CaptainDDL edited this message on 01/02/2009 1:16PM

Biff Weasley

Avatar: 2174 Wed Nov 05 00:04:24 -0500 2008

Level 19 Troll

bumhead

This is a bad idea and could negatively impact ETs ability to generate income* from his hard work.

*which he spends on cheap hookers and blow

ChunkyLover53

[LemonParty]

Level 16 Hacker

Evil Trout Posted:

Make a copycat of Forumwarz?

Sure, it’s possible. But it tooks years of coding to get Forumwarz to this point. Any copycat would have to put in an equivalent amount of work.

If the source code was available it would just be the issue of setting up a server properly. In other words, days of work instead of years.

Wouldn’t the competition just end up making ForumWarz a better game.

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

ChunkyLover53 Posted:

Wouldn’t the competition just end up making ForumWarz a better game.

No?

If someone opened up the same product as me for free, people would gravitate there. And I’d lose my income, and therefore my ability to continue to improve the site.

SimplyTHEBEST

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

Evil Trout Posted:

It’s been a mixed bag for games.

Each of the ID engines (And the game-specific code for the quake game that it shipped with) has been open-sourced at some point after the next engine has been released, and we’ve seen some very interesting things result from that.

More importantly, partially open source is where a few major game companies turn a tidy profit.

Valve has it’s SDKs and quite a bit of engine code freely available, and more than a few people have bought Half-Life or Half-Life 2 just so that they could play a mod.

Quake was where Team Fortress originally started, and although ID’s current engines aren’t gathering much interest they used to have the most active mod community of all time. That Doom mods are STILL the most common kind of mod available on the internet is a testament to just how big it was.

And etc…

However, there are some key differences between ID and CZ. Suffice it to say that open-sourcing FWZ would pretty damn likely lead to CZ having serious problems in very short order.

I’m an advocate of open source, but this isn’t a situation where it works.

The Unknown -
Comic

Avatar: 95506 Tue Dec 09 09:40:49 -0500 2008

[Gimmick Alts and R-
ole-Players Local -
Union 352
]

Level 2 Re-Re

I'M AWESOME APPRECIATE ME PLZ

I think ChunkyLover should keep arguing this point. It really seems like he’s about to convince everybody.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!