Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Shock episode two "too late to fix this now" thread

Fran

Avatar: 34789 2015-08-06 21:23:09 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 62 Camwhore

I wonder who is the bumbling idiot that still has fake currency on this website and actually spends

Evil Trout Posted:

Secondly, while alignment isn’t used as much as I wanted it to be (I’ve talked about this before), it does open the door to get lots more flezz from the WoeIsModerator mission, as you can’t pick the most evil or most good choices without already being somewhat evil or good.

How much Flezz you can get from WoeIsModerator? If you receive the E-Peen, you don’t get a payout.

And although I know you’ve talked about it, your blog entries on alignment sounded like they’d play a big role on Episode 2. That doesn’t really happen, so that’s why I included this on this thread. Most people have finished EP2 already, so it would be indeed too late to fix that.

Fran edited this message on 11/03/2008 10:30AM

Nicco

Avatar: 24745 2011-07-31 00:34:23 -0400

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Troll

Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco

Fran Posted:

How much Flezz you can get from WoeIsModerator? If you receive the E-Peen, you don’t get a payout.

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

Fran Posted:

And although I know you’ve talked about it, your blog entries on alignment sounded like they’d play a big role on Episode 2. That doesn’t really happen, so that’s why I included this on this thread. Most people have finished EP2 already, so it would be indeed too late to fix that.

Yeah, I did say that. I feel bad about it, because the first mission we created for E2 was the WoeIsModerator one, so it looked like we were really going to use alignment a lot. Then we dropped the ball which sucked.

I really want to use alignment more going forward. Look for more of it in future updates!

Fran

Avatar: 34789 2015-08-06 21:23:09 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 62 Camwhore

I wonder who is the bumbling idiot that still has fake currency on this website and actually spends

Evil Trout Posted:

Yeah, I did say that. I feel bad about it, because the first mission we created for E2 was the WoeIsModerator one, so it looked like we were really going to use alignment a lot. Then we dropped the ball which sucked.

I really want to use alignment more going forward. Look for more of it in future updates!

But WoeIsModerator was one of the last features on beta, QQ

That’s good news, I want to see how much my Evil alignment can affect me Log in to see images! Fran edited this message on 11/03/2008 10:42AM

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

Avatar: 44 2012-11-06 12:31:55 -0500

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

I had the first bum avatar.

Veer Posted:

1. why are you basing an internet browser game off of GTA. the plot in ForumWarz just doesn’t work for railroading through. i mean given how you attack the pentagon and all

2. hm, arbitrary RP choice which gives me no benefit or a LOLcat e-peen??? yes one for each consequence. it doesn’t cater to e-peen whore since everyone gets an e-peen

3. no such thing as “being good in forumwarz.” it’s an RPG, and god knows that the only challenge is not quitting out of boredom

1. It’s not based on GTA. It was just a comparison.

2. See ET’s comment.

3. No, some players within the same clbum get through the game faster than others. That means they’re better at it.

Sorry to hear you find it boring, but I trust that not every player shares your sentiment. Those complaining that they don’t get enough daily visits, for example.

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

Fran Posted:

But WoeIsModerator was one of the last features on beta, QQ

That’s good news, I want to see how much my Evil alignment can affect me Log in to see images!

Yeah it was tied together last but written first. Sometimes things work out that way. I think we wrote that conversation in Feburary!

aSh-gangSTA--

Avatar: 23493 2011-10-31 20:46:14 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 60 Emo Kid

The Delightfully Chaotic

Evil Trout Posted:

Good, because I have a character who is strongly Good, one who is strongly Evil, and one who is middle of the road. Planning ahead for hope of a payoff…

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

I really think the complaints about having to grind are very unfounded.

What had to be done during Ep 1 to earn enough flezz to get the DML – that was grinding.

With the flezz restructure every clbum can get good equipment fairly quickly. The power reduction due to pwning forums beyond your level can very easily be overcome with consumables and a little patience. I’m sorry to those who don’t think they can, you are in fact doing it wrong. The job board is a ****ing brilliant addition that accommodates every level and hands you enough flezz in one visit to pay for consumables, so you don’t even have to wait for deliveries.

A brand new player, with no idea of how charisma and luck work or how to allocate build points might have a grinding problem, but otherwise I’m pretty damn sure it’s possible for any clbum except perma or re-re to go from brand new character to level cap in under 5 weeks.

Even if a player doesn’t want to overrun their level, instead of mindlessly grinding you can take jobs and gather .moar files.

Veer

Avatar: 2059 Thu Nov 13 08:18:14 -0500 2008

[Team Shortbus]

Level 32 Troll

my only complaint is that you people are happy

1. still you have to admit that forcing the player to do really terrible things removes any “free will.” like the o’reilly missions.

2. you can get both those e-peen if you go neutral. not to mention that you can get neither or them if you don’t know what to choose ahead of time.

3. honestly i’ve stopped playing with my alts because they were underleveled when episode 2 rolled out. not to mention that the “challenge” clbum is just more grinding. people who beat episode 2 quickly were leveled up already and idk they planned or something point is it’s not a hard game that requires a lot of skill

Tesfan

Avatar: 17396 2011-07-31 06:49:56 -0400

[Team Shortbus]

Level 35 Troll

Sucks **** through a straw in the face of convention

Veer Posted:

3. honestly i’ve stopped playing with my alts because they were underleveled when episode 2 rolled out. not to mention that the “challenge” clbum is just more grinding. people who beat episode 2 quickly were leveled up already and idk they planned or something point is it’s not a hard game that requires a lot of skill

i’ve also done this

e: this really feels like the current design philosophy, correct me if i’m wrong

Tesfan edited this message on 11/03/2008 8:51PM

Orb

Avatar: 33233 Tue Oct 21 12:46:08 -0400 2008

[70 Character Story-
tellers
]

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

To a certain extent any story-based game is going to have some railroading. You cant, for example, pwn Sentrillion, despite the fact that you are aware of the site and at certain points have reason to suspect it has something sinister behind it. It undoubtedly has a forum (after all, Geronimo! does)) and you have no given reason to not be able to access it, story-wise… But no go, because that’s not how the story goes. (Also, it would probably kick our bumes.)

Being forced to pwn the Pentagon (an act that is, if not evil, at least highly criminal) is kind of an extreme form of railroading. It sort of shows the extent to which alignment is a superficial detail. But this has been acknowledged, and since it really is “too late to fix” we can only agree that this should be focused on in Episode 3.

I also haven’t been playing with all my alts… not at first, anyway. I’m finally starting to bring them through Episode 2, just for kicks. Permanoobs and Hackers are fun, Trolls and Emo Kids not as much.

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

Veer Posted:

1. still you have to admit that forcing the player to do really terrible things removes any “free will.” like the o’reilly missions.

2. you can get both those e-peen if you go neutral. not to mention that you can get neither or them if you don’t know what to choose ahead of time.

1. This is a complicated point to address in games, period. There are games on rails were you can’t make any decisions. There are others that are open ended and allow you to do whatever the hell you want. Both are valid strategies, I think, and two of my favorite games (God of War and Oblivion) are good examples of this.

In God of War, you have to murder a person you’ve never met in a brutal and violent way to continue with the story. In Oblivion, you can do whatever the hell you want, but you end up with much weaker narrative.

Our core storyline (we call it the Mythology) is much more linear than Oblivion, and that was done intentionally. One major reason for this is that we have a limited team. If we had to write separate game paths for every decision in the game you could make it would kill us. It’s basically double the work for any choice the player can make, right?

Secondly, and this will come out more in Episode 3, we have a central storyline we wanted to tell. Things that happen in the final episode don’t make sense withough pre-requisites in earlier episodes.

2. I thought I addressed this? Every game with moral choices has this issue. Also, E-Peen™ come in many different shapes and sizes. Nobody is entitled to any E-Peen™ for any reason. Some are easy, others aren’t. I was arguing earlier that the LOLCat had an evil twin, but I’d never say that every E-Peen™ has some kind of karmatic balance.

Tesfan Posted:

i’ve also done this

e: this really feels like the current design philosophy, correct me if i’m wrong

Hint: BINGEBOT 2015 was joking.

Also, ouch!

Obviously we want the game to be as fun and interesting as possible. It sucks that you think we’re only interested in adding grind.

If you look at Scullyangel’s thread where she summarized how much we’ve added over the last year, I think you’ll see we are committed to constantly improving the game.

I’m not going to convince you the game is good if you don’t like it. If you don’t like the game, it doesn’t offend me. What DOES offend me is the suggestion that our design philosophy is lazy and we think you’d all be happy with more grinding.

I’m probably taking your **** slinging too seriously now, but a lot of people are working insanely hard on this game, dude. It’s really easy to throw out criticism, it’s much harder to build a solid game. I’m not saying that the amount of work we put into this makes the game objectively good and you should like it, just that I promise you that nobody wants the game to suck and we’re trying our best to always make it better.

Evil Trout edited this message on 11/03/2008 9:55PM

Lord Shplane

Avatar: 49819 Fri Dec 05 01:45:00 -0500 2008

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Troll

:)

I want to actually have my evil alignment.

With my troll, I went through all of EP 2, consistently choosing evil options, yet every time I chose something evil, and it SAID that I did something evil, it sent my alignment towards good.

Even when I made the guy kill himself.

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

Veer Posted:

1. You sort of have a point, and I suppose we could’ve made those missions optional if you’re really morally opposed to them. (Note: They might actually be optional, I’m not sure anymore. Hell, apparently DrrtyCop was optional in Ep 1.) But I didn’t ever really see it that way because the forums he hands you are actually replete with racists, sexists, religious hypocrites, etc. You’ll notice this in the replies.

2) What I personally wanted to do was release tons more E-Peen that were utterly random, pointless, arbitrary, and make it nearly impossible to collect all of them. The idea would be to take away the power that comes with collecting Peen, because people have gotten far too serious about it and it’s ruined the fun. Making sure it’s balanced so that everyone practically has exactly the same Peen (or conversely, the same number of Peen) completely stifles creativity, in my humble opinion. Trout and BB feel differently, but they’re lamers Log in to see images!

3) Um, I forgot what we were talking about.

But I think that our conception of “grinding” differs. If you’re doing the same “dungeons” over and over just to get enough gold to get to the next level, that sucks. We’re limited as to how the gameplay can advance your character, but we tried our best to eliminate that kind of pointless repetitiveness. Our repetitiveness is meaningful. Of course, you can’t please everyone.

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

^^^ Jalapeno, stop replying at the same time plz. kthx.

Also, Lord Shplane, we fixed the bug where alignment occasionally went the wrong way ages ago. Or at least I thought I did. Do you have a concrete example? Can you report it as a bug if you do?

Evil Trout edited this message on 11/03/2008 9:59PM

Veer

[Team Shortbus]

Level 32 Troll

1. et the difference is that in God of War, you’re not deciding the character: you are Kratos, some jackbum who is psychotic. in forumwarz, you’re given the illusion of “i can be me!!” and then having it taken away immediately. idk how you’ll handle this

2. remove the e-peen count by our names then

scully

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

Jalapeno Bootyhole Posted:

2) What I personally wanted to do was release tons more E-Peen that were utterly random, pointless, arbitrary, and make it nearly impossible to collect all of them. The idea would be to take away the power that comes with collecting Peen, because people have gotten far too serious about it and it’s ruined the fun. Making sure it’s balanced so that everyone practically has exactly the same Peen (or conversely, the same number of Peen) completely stifles creativity, in my humble opinion. Trout and BB feel differently, but they’re lamers Log in to see images!

Clearly ET and BINGE are wickedly superior to you in this regard. Log in to see images!

Yeah, you’re right some of us peenwhores/collectors/aggressive gamer types do take things too seriously, but I think we do as much to add to the environment as we take from it with our whining.

Look at the DML. It was obviously gettable, but it took a power gamer type like Pluvius to nail down how to effectively get it before others started seriously trying for it. He inspired me to create my first troll character, not because I thought “Oh, thank God someone told me how!”, but because I thought, “That looks like it could have been done faster you were not abusing the system enough.” Log in to see images! Given the wave of players who suddenly started grinding their trolls it was obvious that I wasn’t the only one and it all turned out to be a positive thing for a clbum that had felt very shafted in the endgame. Of course the bad came with the good since the DML was insanely overpowered, but the lack of balance for a bit was worth bringing a bunch of players back into actively playing, imo.

I do think you are mistaken about us wanting the exact same peens. What we want is the ability to get peens that are presented as something that can be achieved via effort. Talking about the leaderboards here. The term leaderboard implies gaming achievement, but in fact it has often represented who joined the site first. That has been a source of frustration for those willing to do the grinding, or whatever.

I do think the “leaderboard” peens have the potential to self adjust now, and that is kind of awesome. Some of the Episode 2 things have built in balance systems, so you cannot achieve two things at once and that is a good thing. Look at Most Forums Pwned – you can hold it forever, but you will not be getting the ****.MILF file if you do. bumuming a peen is released for it, you can hold job board forever, but you must completely sacrifice pistachio in Domination. Flezz is weird, not sure how that will work out. I’d still love to see a peen based flezz sink.

I don’t remember if I had a point. I think my point was that I like peens, so hush. Log in to see images!

Veer

[Team Shortbus]

Level 32 Troll

post is too long, make it shorter like this one:

remove e-peen count by names

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

Veer Posted:

post is too long, make it shorter like this one:

remove e-peen count by names

We made some major progress on the Peen front today. You’ll soon be seeing a radical change in your Electronic male reproductive organ Log in to see images!

scully

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

Veer Posted:

post is too long

Was too long even for me. I shouldn’t make heartfelt peen posts when tipsy.

I do think people lose interest in any repetitive action game if there is no goal or goal based reward though. It is the nature of those who play games to want to be given some task in order to reach a goal/reward. *shrug*

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!