Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Request D&D Adventure Ideas

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

They can’t ransack the barracks prematurely if they don’t know where they are. Control the information, and you control the game.

Even if they think they have it covered, they don’t. They capture a guy and torture him to find out where the barracks are? Fine, the guy tells them — except when they get there, the barracks aren’t there. The wizard in charge of keep tabs on the gang scryed that he was going to reveal the location so he teleported the whole kit ‘n’ kaboodle to a new location.

Just make sure it all makes sense logically. If he can do that, why can’t he just teleport the PCs away? Because the barracks were heavily enchanted over a long period of time so they COULD be transported. And when you DO want the PCs to find it, the wizard can’t do it again because the PCs got there one day before the enchantment recharged.

SoronTheBeast

Avatar: 159958 2010-01-24 16:32:03 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Hacker

There's your 3 BPs. Now stop ****ing whining about THIRTEEN CENTS you pathetic no-lifer. - Fran

4th ed or 3.5 or 3 or 2nd or D&D?

I liked 3.5 the best, but 4th is pretty good to. I ran two year long 3.5 games. (4th level – 16th level vs the cult of the dragon; and 6th level – 23level. That was a plane hopping game.)

I also ran an one shot all day 40th level adventurer… that was kinda nutz. (group of epic monsters decided they wanted to wipe out all humans everywhere. Before any of the humans became powerful enough to challenge them. The monsters were headed by a prismatic dragon)

MC Banhammer Posted:

Switch from D&D to Hackmaster then imo

lol, their books are WAY to big. Additionally, me and my buddies played a game and ended up hacking ourselves to bits right quick. The game is stacked against the players, and since it takes several hours to make a character (which, BTW, I do feel is the best part of Hackmaster) its sorta a big let down to have them all die to a pack of bears or something.

SoronTheBeast edited this message on 12/11/2009 4:20PM

Styzzyx

Level 27 Hacker

“1337”

Eh, I have big beefs with 4ed, I still play 3.5. I think it’s just way more versatile than cramming everything into a few skills, and the whole ‘no rolling for hitpoints’ thing just throws me off.

MC: Hmm… that sounds interesting. Now all I gotta do is learn how to implement that in my games… Q.Q

cya

Avatar: 146808 2012-12-30 22:05:41 -0500

[Deth Krew 2010]

Level 69 Hacker

Scared of death

im just going to throw this out there:

i dont think youre ready to be a dm

edit for clarification: this is at op not soron

cya edited this message on 12/11/2009 5:00PM

SoronTheBeast

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Hacker

There's your 3 BPs. Now stop ****ing whining about THIRTEEN CENTS you pathetic no-lifer. - Fran

Chawin Posted:

and if being high level gets a bit confusing for new players, then just nerf the dragon a bit

One of my games started with the low leave group of avengers coming upon a VERY young blue dragon getting money from a town. They, of course, charged in a killed the dragon…

Turns out the dragon’s very old mother was using the town to baby sit her son. (blue dragons are lawful evil so she thought he might have fun playing ‘tyrant’ for a bit)

Anyway, the long adventurer then was the party trying to stay one step ahead of the blue dragon that wanted them all dead. Her enemies would help them and she went crazy with the death of her son.

I like having the players first game set up the end game, but an experienced group would not fall for something as simple as “there is a baby dragon yelling at townsfolk in front of you, what do you do?”

Also, I do think running a pre-made adventurer is a very good idea. Gives you a feel for the game and your group. Whenever I start a new roleplaying system I like at least READING a pre-made to get a sense of the ‘world’ an a feel for the game setting itself.

Also, what KIND of people are playing your game is very important. The 4th ed dungeon masters guide has a very good section identifying kinds of players. Its worth a read, took me years of playing to get all of the info they just HAVE in that section. Great for new DMs.

SoronTheBeast edited this message on 12/11/2009 4:41PM

Styzzyx

Level 27 Hacker

“1337”

Well, we’ll see, we’ll see. Currently I’m finishing up the detail on my first encounter with an orc lair, holding the local lord hostage. What the characters learn if they keep the orc leader alive, is that they were going to bring the lord as homage to their leader, Grak the Ogre Chieftain, who controls other outposts in addition to the one the characters just finished ransacking. Now all I gotta do is roll treasure!

(btw, last time I did it, it seemed like there was waaay too much. Do I roll treasure for each monster according to its stats block, or is it for the entire encounter that I roll once for?)

Styzzyx

Level 27 Hacker

“1337”

Aaight, I rolled up the treasure, and I think it’s okay. In total, one CR2 encounter, 4 CR 1 encounters, and one CR1/2 which I just rolled for CR1 and divided it. Here it is:

3,000 cp

800 sp

420 gp

Masterwork melee weapon

Wand of Invisibility (I rolled a 99!)

How’s that sound for a 1st-level haul?

SoronTheBeast

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Hacker

I just normally pick the treasure. Its rather important to the balance of the game what they get. The orcs might have ‘pocket money’ and what not. The boss might have a magic item or two.

You should use the tables as a guide, but give them what YOU want them to have. I once rolled treasure in front of them, but that is more like a “bonus level” thing, not every day.

Styzzyx

Level 27 Hacker

“1337”

Good! Custom treasure s nice, but I tend to overdo it. Maybe in a few more levels when I grasp it more easily. Eventually, I want to throw a Rod of Wonder in there. XD

I might be on later tonight, but I gotta run to work, now. Post for me! Thank you for your help!

Afterthotz

Avatar: 187543 2010-01-24 16:13:10 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Hacker

I lurk much better than I post - and my lurking skills really suck.

1st level adventure? My advice is kobolds over orcs. Kobolds everywhere. with one 2-3HD leader.

Also, as you hand out your treasure, be sure to avoid the ‘monty haul’ campaigns…give ‘em something to strive for.

But be sure to get them at least one ‘Bag of Holding’, and one ‘Portable hole’ in the future as well. Much chaos will ensue eventually – like the time my Kender and his Tinker Gnome friend tried to escape a delayed blast fireball by jumping into the gnomes Satchel of holding…forgetting that my Kender had a portable hole somewhere in his beltpouches.

We’re both still sitting in a pocket of air in the dimension of Earth waiting to be rescued…and since that was 15 years ago…I’m betting my fellow adventurers aren’t coming to get us.

Also- one last time…

Styzzyx

Level 27 Hacker

“1337”

Hey, all! I finally have a basic structure for the adventure made, and thought I would share the fruits of my labor with you. I know most don’t have the concentration necessary to read something this long, but you may or may not get a kick out of it.

Characters start in town, hear that the lady of the manor needs help. They talk to her, and she hires them to find her husband, dead or alive. They go find him in a cave filled with orcs, where their chief, if questioned, tells them that they captured him as tribute to the Ogre chieftain that threatens to ransack them.

Another opportunity for information arises when bandits ambush them on the way back; one of them is carrying a message to kill them, written by someone by the name of Grak, in Water’s Edge.

If the lord is brought back to the manor, the lady rewards them, but the lord has something else on his mind. He takes them aside and says he went into the woods to meet his mistress and run away with her, but was captured by a scouting party from the orcs. Now, he offers to pay them a hefty sum to make his mistress disappear.

Another avenue is that the characters go to find the ogre chieftain. In order to find the ogre’s lair, they can either Gather Information from travelers in the town, or they can pay the local sage to spend a few days researching it.

When and if they find the ogre’s lair, whether they manage to kill him or not, a mysterious stranger appears outside the cave and reveals that he’s been watching them since they got back to town with the lord, and offers them an opportunity: to come with him to the main city of Renthar, and gain employment from the Adventurer’s Guild.

If they accept and kill the lord’s mistress, a witness comes forward the next day and alerts the guard, throwing them in jail. However, if they decide to tell the lady, she has one of two reactions. If they don’t have evidence, she has them thrown in jail for implicating her husband. If they have evidence, she enters a fit of rage, kills her husband, and then herself in the realization of her mistake. In the commotion, guards come in to find the characters standing over the dead lord and lady, and throw them in jail to be hung the next day.

Whether they succeed or fail to produce evidence of the lord’s unfaithfulness, the characters are visited by a stranger in the night at the jail who offers them an opportunity, due to seeing their work clearing out the orcs and the ogre chieftain: he will spring them free if the characters wish to come with him, and work for the Adventurer’s Guild in the main city of Renthar.

Constructive criticism is appreciated! I know it is somewhat cliche, but at least its not just straight-up hack n’ slash, because my characters have asked for SOMEthing that leads into RPing.

SoronTheBeast

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Hacker

Well, since is all in the delivery, there is not way we can judge.

Your game is your own, whether it be level 1 guys with no magic, or level 40 with all the items in the world, its your game and your make it what you want.

Just remember to think ahead and try to avoid “take backs.” If you make a ruling or give out an ability/item, you have to stick by it, so think ahead.

I do also want to remind you of one thing, something I, myself, sometimes forget when I run a game. You have to work WITH the players to have fun. The game is about fun, your fun, their fun, everyone’s fun. It can be hard because everyone has their own idea of what ‘fun’ means, but your running the game, and it falls on you to make that ‘fun’ happen whatever it maybe.

Bill_Murray_-
Fan_7383

Avatar: 7241 2011-07-31 00:42:33 -0400

[i have a thirteen inch male reproductive organ click for proof]

Level 35 Camwhore

Oh whoops, I dropped my monster condom that I use for my magnum dong

Styzzyx Posted:

LMAO Sounds awesome. I really wish I could run an evil-themed game with the people I play with, but they’re the ‘power-gamer’ types that would try to ransack the whole town. Frankly, I don’t want to generate a few hundred copies of the town guard to have them slaughtered, and my characters more powerful in the beginning of the game than they should be. Log in to see images!

Them: “Okay, we’re going to totally enjoy and pillage the town.”

You: “Okay, you get [X REWARDS]”.

—An hour later, or a few days in game time—

You: “A unit of soldiers led by Sir Henry **** shows up to arrest and execute you.”

Them: “Okay, then we’ll fight them.”

You: “Yeah, he’s l.20, and the rest are l.18. Have fun with that.”

Them: “Wait what that’s unfair!”

You: “Well, maybe you shouldn’t have terrorized that town earlier, huh? I’m sure you’ll remember that when we start a new campaign after you’re all horribly killed here.”

Point being, just apply reasonable yet inescapable consequences when you’re players go out of their way to be jack-offs. Or, as a more lenient example…you could allow them to escape the previous encounter, but bumure them that they’re still fugitives, and that any outrageous act of brutality will attract attention to the authorities.

Styzzyx

Level 27 Hacker

“1337”

Murrayfan: I see what you’re saying, and I’d end up doing that…. creating all those NPCs is the most daunting task for me, however. Do you have any tips for quick NPC creation? The tables in the DM’s Guide aren’t exactly clear when it comes to ‘custom’ NPCs.

Blu3Schnauzer

Avatar: 16117 Sun Feb 22 17:55:30 -0500 2009

[Fetal Alcohol Pupp-
ets
]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

SoronTheBeast Posted:

I do also want to remind you of one thing, something I, myself, sometimes forget when I run a game. You have to work WITH the players to have fun. The game is about fun, your fun, their fun, everyone’s fun. It can be hard because everyone has their own idea of what ‘fun’ means, but your running the game, and it falls on you to make that ‘fun’ happen whatever it maybe.

QFT.

And as Soron says, it largely depends on your players. But generally, I’ve found remaining flexible is the key to any GM/DM/ST success. Sometimes, being one is like herding cats; don’t be surprised if a large part of your carefully laid plans end up by the wayside. At the same time, you can always turn old plans into new plans…bwa ha ha.

Invaluable GM resource: Seventh Sanctum. Lots of good idea starters, generators, and quick ideas for coming up with stuff on the fly if needed.

Blu3Schnauzer edited this message on 12/27/2009 11:57PM

Mazzon

[Too sexy for membe-
rs
]

Level 37 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Just one more vote for flexibility. Even if you have planned ahead how things will progress, remember that the players may very well come up with stuff you never came to think of and go in a whole other direction. When that happens your options really boil down to either rolling with it and changing your plans, or heavy-handedly herding them back to the railroad tracks.

Of these the latter may be easier to do, but it may seem to the players like their choices don’t matter and that if that’s the case, it’s no longer them playing a game but rather just listening to a pre-written story.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!