Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Evil Trout Important News: Brownie Point values have changed!

mterek

Avatar: 192622 2009-09-24 16:39:01 -0400

[mahjong]

Level 69 Re-Re

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$

I’m not very pleased with the price increases, especially since the only reason I didnt’ cash in already for them is the uncertainty with Episode 3’s cost.

AAHZ

Avatar: 4016 2013-08-02 05:07:06 -0400

[Forumwarz Active P-
layers
]

Level 69 Troll

SAGAMI -WUZ- HERE

ChilePepino Posted:

having cents in the forumwarz “market” makes no sense at all. it’s harder to type amounts with . between them that a simple number. CZ made none of their buyable features more expensive compared with what they used to cost in real money, but they made several cheaper (again, in real dollars). You still can buy the exact same amount of things, if not more, with the same amount of REAL LIFE DOLLARS.

You can only exchange BPs for dlls. If someone happens to live in a country that has ****ed up dollar to national currency convertion, that has nothing to do with CZ and more to do with real economy being ****ed up blablablbalblablablbalabllaba

TLDR you have no argument.

i offered one potential solution to a problem that shouldnt have existed to begin with.

if they lowered the IRL cost to get BP, then made the ORIGINAL markets cheaper to get stuff (see my previous post) it would have been better.

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

mterek Posted:

I’m not very pleased with the price increases, especially since the only reason I didnt’ cash in already for them is the uncertainty with Episode 3’s cost.

On average, prices went down.

ChilePepino

Avatar: 101005 2010-01-24 16:17:40 -0500

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 35 Permanoob

Well, spf357 really rocks.

AAHZ Posted:

sure you can make creating an alt 4 BP instead fo 5, custom emotes to 4 instead of 5, make EP2 5 BP instead of 7, etc.

if had actually bother to see how they changed the prices, and after you do, please explain me how would they had made the 1bp features cheaper (like the domination bracket name change) while keeping others at the same price (new avatar is at 15BP which is equal to 1 old BP).

I have a better idea yet though: realize you have no argument and you don’t understand moneys.

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

Avatar: 44 2012-11-06 12:31:55 -0500

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

I had the first bum avatar.

AAHZ Posted:

you changed the VALUE of BP, then fluxed the MARKETS down to match. While this seems like a good selling point to drive down prices, you have effectively cheapened 1 BP to one/fifteenth of its original value. This could even be considered inflation.

For now it looks good, but when people get used to the mbumive BP transfers taking place for minimal gains, even if the EFFORT to obtain those BP was minimal compared to before, any way you swing it you have made your economy look like a 3rd world African country compared to a modern nation where a “buck is a buck.”

I hope you see my point, Trout, and i think this is huge mistake in the long run

You’ve basically pointed out what we did without saying why it’s bad.

A single BP is no longer worth more than a dollar (US) on average. There are very few currencies in the world that are so expensive, and the fact that BPs are indivisible made it pretty unmanageable. So while it’s true that BP have been devalued, they’re worth far more than Japanese Yen or Italian Lire, for example. Those are hardly third-world countries!

The 15x multiplier was to allow Episode 2 to cost an even 100 BP. For those of us with ten fingers, that’s a nice, attractive number.

AAHZ

[Forumwarz Active P-
layers
]

Level 69 Troll

SAGAMI -WUZ- HERE

its bad because you need moar actual BP to get the same stuff, even if it is “cheaper.”

Master_Troll

Avatar: 58489 2010-05-26 01:29:58 -0400

Level 69 Emo Kid

Lee_Harvey_Oswald is Pinky and I'm Brain

AAHZ Posted:

its bad because you need moar actual BP to get the same stuff, even if it is “cheaper.”

But you’re buying more at the same time for the same price

and it’s not like BP weighs anything, what’s the real problem here?

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

AAHZ Posted:

Why is that bad?

Just pretend you’ve never been to the site before. Now your problem goes away.

Amasius

Avatar: 21158 2015-06-13 23:07:57 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

OMFG! It is MY bum!

AAHZ Posted:

You need more BP but less dollars and that’s bad? So it would be good if you’d need less BP but more dollars? Log in to see images!

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

Evil Trout Posted:

This is what scares me the most though. That we could make a mistake and ruin the fun of the game for everyone.

I don’t see that happening. The way I look at it is using a pink floyd as a comparison. Does everyone have it? Nope. Does everyone have it that plays the end game? Nope. Well, the difference between having a floyd and not is 23 offense and 23 defense. That is a really big gap. That gap only matters on the highest level forums. It’s pretty safe to say it’s going to be hard to break the game unless you purposely try to skew stats so that it is really way out of line.

I absolutely do not want our game to become one of those Zynga pieces of **** where people just buy their way to the top. So while we do want BP earnable in game, we have to be SUPER careful about how we do it.

Silly. You already offer that option with the cheats! I have a one day level capped character to prove it. Log in to see images!

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

AAHZ Posted:

Wait until you see the prices of level 69 items in Episode 3!

AAHZ

[Forumwarz Active P-
layers
]

Level 69 Troll

SAGAMI -WUZ- HERE

before 50 BP was a big deal, now 50 BP is an alt. people will throw around 400, 500 BP in contests, its silly.

its a bad idea, and even comical in the long run. a BP is cheapened to 1/15th of its value and that is that, if CZ didn’t control the markets you would see it my way too.

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Evil Trout Posted:

Wait until you see the prices of level 69 items in Episode 3!

Game items are going to cost BP? I thought that’s what you’ve been arguing AGAINST.

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

AAHZ Posted:

before 50 BP was a big deal, now 50 BP is an alt. people will throw around 400, 500 BP in contests, its silly.

Nexus War let you buy credits in multiples of $1. For each $1, you’d get 100 credits. It would then take 300 credits to create a new character slot. If credit transfers were allowed there, people might have held contests for 300 credits. And no one would have batted an eye.

MC Banhammer Posted:

Just pretend you’ve never been to the site before. Now your problem goes away.

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

MC Banhammer Posted:

Game items are going to cost BP? I thought that’s what you’ve been arguing AGAINST.

No, they’ll be Flezz. Just high amounts.

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

AAHZ Posted:

its a bad idea, and even comical in the long run. a BP is cheapened to 1/15th of its value and that is that, if CZ didn’t control the markets you would see it my way too.

AAHZ, let’s do some basic math. Firstly, I like you, and you like me, so try to take a rest on the victim mentality for a sec while reading my post.

I have $5.

In an unsurprisingly narratively convenient fashion, hamburgers also cost exactly $5.

I can buy one hamburger.

Uh oh! Prices just doubled!

Hamburgers cost $10 now!

But wait — my salary also doubled. I have $10 now.

For the same input of effort, I have enough money to get the same reward before. Therefore, economically speaking, my consumer satisfaction level is unchanged.

Switch out salary for BP and Hamburgers to anything you’re buying on this game. Your consumer satisfaction level SHOULD be unchanged, if you’re a rational consumer (which in economic terms is always given as an bumumption).

If you disagree, you’re being irrational, and therefore do not factor into economic concerns.

Shii edited this message on 11/17/2009 3:11PM

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Shii Posted:

AAHZ, let’s do some basic math. Firstly, I like you, and you like me, so try to take a rest on the victim mentality for a sec while reading my post.

I have $5.

In an unsurprisingly narratively convenient fashion, hamburgers also cost exactly $5.

I can buy one hamburger.

Uh oh! Prices just doubled!

Hamburgers cost $10 now!

But wait — my salary also doubled. I have $10 now.

For the same input of effort, I have enough money to get the same reward before. Therefore, economically speaking, my consumer satisfaction level is unchanged.

Switch out salary for BP and Hamburgers to anything you’re buying on this game. Your consumer satisfaction level SHOULD be unchanged, if you’re a rational consumer (which in economic terms is always given as an bumumption).

If you disagree, you’re being irrational, and therefore do not factor into economic concerns.

I think you’re missing his point. In his example, the cost of your hambuger, and your salary, both increased to 10 million dollars. Making currency seem completely devalued.

It’s still not a strong argument imo, and certainly not worth spending more energy on. At least by me.

Chawin

Avatar: 146808 2012-12-30 22:05:41 -0500

[Deth Krew 2010]

Level 69 Hacker

Scared of death

AAHZ

[Forumwarz Active P-
layers
]

Level 69 Troll

SAGAMI -WUZ- HERE

Chawin Posted:

lets make hash brownies http://www.forumwarz.com/discussions/view/45091-brownie-point-idea

actually thats a good idea.

man-man

Avatar: 156485 2010-01-24 16:36:14 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Selfish fine upstanding member of society

Edit: goddamn this thread was active while I was writing, I may have been beaten to it

——————

The value of a currency is rooted in how much currency you have to trade for a thing, and how easily obtained the currency is. If all you do is multiply the numbers on all the bank notes (aside from the obvious logistical problems) the theoretical effect is nothing so long as everything else changes. A given amount of currency becomes harder/easier to obtain because employers adjust wages to match, and you have to trade 10 times as much for the same stuff, because the shops will also be multiplying all the prices.

Inflation is the value of currency relative to what you can buy decreasing (need more $ to buy the same things), which happens for various reasons in the real economy (and a small amount is a good thing – money getting slowly less valuable discourages hoarding all your money, keeps the money moving). Currencies become weaker if their value relative to other currencies declines (which will happen if one has much more inflation than another, or one is in high demand and hence less easily obtained. Changing the value of currency relative to itself is just an exercise in moving the decimal point.

Real-life example: Zimbabwe’s hyperinflation meant the currency was next to worthless relative to goods, and hence next to worthless relative to other currencies. So they had to issue larger and larger denominations of bank notes to give people something worth carrying around, eventually it got up into the trillions of Z$s on a single note, and similar sized numbers to buy basic groceries and they decided to just chop 6 0s off of everything. So the price of everything in the shops went down by a factor of 10^6, everyone’s pay would have done the same, the value and strength of the currency are unaffected, it just gave everyone more sensible numbers to work with.

BP had the opposite problem – instead of having numbers that are way too big on everything, the numbers were too small and inflexible to be able to ‘make change’ for all the values (relative to real money or the things available to buy in BP) you might want. It’d be like if coins didn’t exist and the lowest note was a 20, everything would have to cost some multiple of $20 and it’d be stupid. This change gives us some sensible numbers to work with so that we can pay for low-value stuff with a small number of BP.

man-man edited this message on 11/17/2009 3:34PM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!