Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Butthurt =[

Yuuka Umeko

[The Flamers of Loa-
thing
]

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

Why does everything in the game, refer to the main character (Us) as guys…? Some of us, surprisingly or not are actually girls and I don’t mind being called dude and all that by NPCs and the game! But with all the male terms, It makes me feel segregated…Sort of like how government dogreat timesents refer to people including female authorities with male terms! Log in to see images!

CrinkzPipe

Avatar: 35643 2015-02-20 21:59:22 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 62 Emo Kid

Hi, I'm an adult whos into bumes. But not boners!

It refers to the joke that there are no females on the internet.

Yuuka Umeko

[The Flamers of Loa-
thing
]

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

-_-“

KING KING KI-
NG KING KING-
KING

Avatar: 190122 2011-07-31 00:25:04 -0400

Level 62 Troll

Mbumive fabulous person Mbumive fabulous person Mbumive fabulous person

KingKloskowski Posted:

CrinkzPipe Posted:

its no joke

majority of the ppl here are dudes so yeah…........

Shiis Girlfr-
iend

Avatar: 98447 2011-07-31 00:56:37 -0400

Level 11 Emo Kid

Shii is my favorite person ever! I love him so.

Plus, it has been stated in the past that it’d be to much hbumle to code “oh you’re a female so we will replace all mentions of you being male to female” as there is nothing in game which you identify yourself as male/female.

It’s the same reason there isn’t a “e-poon” or whatever people wanted it to be called for camwhores/females.

CrinkzPipe

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 62 Emo Kid

Shiis Girlfriend Posted:

Plus, it has been stated in the past that it’d be to much hbumle to code “oh you’re a female so we will replace all mentions of you being male to female” as there is nothing in game which you identify yourself as male/female.

It’s the same reason there isn’t a “e-poon” or whatever people wanted it to be called for camwhores/females.

Altfail.

Yuuka Umeko

[The Flamers of Loa-
thing
]

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

KingKloskowski Posted:

majority of the ppl here are dudes so yeah…........

You my friend are the reason why I pull my hair out at times! <>_<>”

Bandaney

Avatar: 70433 2014-06-07 22:10:47 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 60 Hacker

Ask me about how many male reproductive organs in my bum :zak:

Is it seriously offensive for you that there’s not a female main character? It’s not like this game is trying to emulate real life or anything. I’m a girl but I don’t care too much.

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

You do realize that most every role-playing game is about a male primary character and everyone else calling him a male?

Why does Final Fantasy 7 not **** you off, or Golden Sun, or every other RPG ever that has a male main character who isn’t you?

You’re playing another character.

dobnits

Avatar: 58842 2010-01-24 16:19:10 -0500

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Troll

THE LEGENDARY PINK DOBS

CrinkzPipe Posted:

This.

Also I’m sure this is a dupe thread, but i cant find it immediately, and fresh discussion on it without a heavy necro is fine by me.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

dobnits Posted:

this is a dupe thread

Severely.

JB, if you’re reading this, you should find your blog post or forum post about this, then make it a KB article. It comes up often enough.

twas

Avatar: 40896 2011-11-01 00:47:59 -0400

[fine upstanding member of society]

Level 35 Troll

Wher Have My Poor Imaginary Wife and Child Gone

It boils down to this; the character of this game is a man, even a camwhore. For this game a camwhore is a man pretending to be a women. It says that in the clbum description or something.

I will stand with the OP on this issue. Other games bother to alter the text, if not the whole storyline, for each clbum/gender. It’s just lazy.

Sergeant Cid

Avatar: 167814 2011-07-31 00:46:27 -0400

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Scientifically Proven Terrible fabulous person..... Evidence shows mbumive build up of semen deposit in bum.

Yes, but those games allow you to choose your character’s gender. This one does not.

Just because you’re a female gamer playing HALO doesn’t mean the game should start calling you Madam Chief.

I would never, ever, ever play Halo.

It’s true you don’t pick your gender, but it should have been written for different clbumes, and camwhore could have had the option to be female or FAIL.

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

Avatar: 44 2012-11-06 12:31:55 -0500

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

I had the first bum avatar.

MC Banhammer Posted:

Severely.

JB, if you’re reading this, you should find your blog post or forum post about this, then make it a KB article. It comes up often enough.

It wasn’t actually a blog or forum post, it was just a Tubmail I sent to a few users.

I’ve been meaning to blog about this subject, but the guys and gals who advise my every move told me not to, lest it invite more controversy. Nevertheless, I feel a need to respond.

When we started this thing, it was just four jackbumes joking around and bumuming nobody would ever play it, much less any women. Now, we realize that about 20 percent of our players are in fact female. While many games feature a male Player 1, it’s understandable why some people might want expect more customization in a game that features multiple clbumes and role-playing.

For now, I’ll just say that we tried to address this in Episode 2, we tried even harder to address this in Episode 3, but there are still bound to be some remnants of boy-centric dialog (although I would argue that the base bumumption isn’t always that you’re male; in the CutiePie conversation he refuses to talk to you unless you make him think that you’re male).

However, we still agree that the game could benefit from either making the dialog gender-neutral (or at least having players bumume you’re male or female equally), or adding a gender customization option.

It’s probably easiest to do the former, but either way it’s a lot of work. Our interface is very complex and modular, so going through every conversation tree and either tweaking the dialog or delineating it with special code and adding new options would be a huge, time-consuming effort. And of course, if we were to do that, people would then insist that we should have put clbum customization as well…and maybe sexuality customization…and Klingon language support…and so on. It’s not “laziness,” as only the most ignorant and uninformed users might suggest, it’s being realistic about what we can spend our time on.

Maybe it’s just me, but none of this would address the fact that an aggressive gay man saying he wants to suck your male reproductive organ is and always will be hilarious. Adding an option to say “But I’m a girl!” isn’t really going to add a whole lot. It will never dissuade a male reproductive organ-hungry man-whore like Bruce Bear.

Either way, I’d say this is going to be something we will have to address post-Episode 3. We might consider doing something like “The Great Penectomy” where users can point out gender-specific dialog and receive E-Peen™ (ironic!) for it.

In the meantime, I hope the lack of gender customization doesn’t ruin your ability to enjoy the game for what it is. If you want, you could always just imagine that, just as your player character is role-playing a given clbum when you visit forums, you’re also role-playing a typically young, male internet user in chat.

plk

Avatar: 9972 2010-01-24 16:28:42 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

Yuuka Umeko Posted:

Why does everything in the game, refer to the main character (Us) as guys…? Some of us, surprisingly or not are actually girls and I don’t mind being called dude and all that by NPCs and the game! But with all the male terms, It makes me feel segregated…Sort of like how government dogreat timesents refer to people including female authorities with male terms! Log in to see images!

Well, I have to tell you that as someone who just wrote stuff for the upcoming episode that the player, as you appear in chats with characters, isn’t definitively male or female. I asked and clarified and we talked about this, kind of a lot.

Personally, I don’t see anything in the world wrong with game developers defining a main character’s gender as male or whatever works best in the universe they created and just going with it. But it’s tricky in this game because your character name and avatar can be anything from extremely feminine to extremely masculine and having the character you’re chatting with call you by the “wrong” gender just looks wrong. So, like JB said, we tried to make sure that you aren’t defined as male, unless it’s somehow part of the character you’re talking with’s schtick to do that.

Maybe they weren’t as careful with that in Episode 1, but I still don’t really see the big problem. The overall tone or voice of Player 1 is fairly masculine (and smart and sarcastic), but that doesn’t make the character a boy. Since the focus of the conversation is on the NPC, not the player’s reaction, it doesn’t seem like the best use of resources to me to write multiple versions of each conversation just so that you can react a little more girly if you want. So what we did was that we tried to keep it relatively neutral. I guess you’ll have to see if that worked.

plk edited this message on 10/12/2009 11:26PM

CrinkzPipe

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 62 Emo Kid

Jalapeno Bootyhole Posted:

It wasn’t actually a blog or forum post, it was just a Tubmail I sent to a few users.

I’ve been meaning to blog about this subject, but the guys and gals who advise my every move told me not to, lest it invite more controversy. Nevertheless, I feel a need to respond.

When we started this thing, it was just four jackbumes joking around and bumuming nobody would ever play it, much less any women. Now, we realize that about 20 percent of our players are in fact female. While many games feature a male Player 1, it’s understandable why some people might want expect more customization in a game that features multiple clbumes and role-playing.

For now, I’ll just say that we tried to address this in Episode 2, we tried even harder to address this in Episode 3, but there are still bound to be some remnants of boy-centric dialog (although I would argue that the base bumumption isn’t always that you’re male; in the CutiePie conversation he refuses to talk to you unless you make him think that you’re male).

However, we still agree that the game could benefit from either making the dialog gender-neutral (or at least having players bumume you’re male or female equally), or adding a gender customization option.

It’s probably easiest to do the former, but either way it’s a lot of work. Our interface is very complex and modular, so going through every conversation tree and either tweaking the dialog or delineating it with special code and adding new options would be a huge, time-consuming effort. And of course, if we were to do that, people would then insist that we should have put clbum customization as well…and maybe sexuality customization…and Klingon language support…and so on. It’s not “laziness,” as only the most ignorant and uninformed users might suggest, it’s being realistic about what we can spend our time on.

Maybe it’s just me, but none of this would address the fact that an aggressive gay man saying he wants to suck your male reproductive organ is and always will be hilarious. Adding an option to say “But I’m a girl!” isn’t really going to add a whole lot. It will never dissuade a male reproductive organ-hungry man-whore like Bruce Bear.

Either way, I’d say this is going to be something we will have to address post-Episode 3. We might consider doing something like “The Great Penectomy” where users can point out gender-specific dialog and receive E-Peen™ (ironic!) for it.

In the meantime, I hope the lack of gender customization doesn’t ruin your ability to enjoy the game for what it is. If you want, you could always just imagine that, just as your player character is role-playing a given clbum when you visit forums, you’re also role-playing a typically young, male internet user in chat.

I wouldn’t mind if there was customization as long as it doesn’t take away from anything important.

Also, if you were to make a blog post, this post right here would be sufficient enough imo.

CrinkzPipe edited this message on 10/12/2009 9:54PM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!