Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Macho Uh oh trolling is going to be illegal soon

Amphitrite

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

Its kinda of hard to fend off a troll. Its not like everyone can come up with witty metaphorical slap in the face to stop the other persons. Even if you “fended” for yourself, idiots will still continue not taking a hint, and even if you “left” they can still go after you in “real life”. I mean just take a look at boxxy (apparently an internet meme for some odd reason), she “fended” for herself and guess what, she’s still getting death threats. Some moron went and posted her real name and address on 4chan (of all place).

The bill is more meant for that kind of case.

Yeah the bill will probably be misused by idiots (like the book burning kind).I don’t wish for the bill to pbum but I can certainly understand the reason for introducing it. You don’t harbum someone when they’re physically in front of you, don’t harbum them when they’re online.

Lord Shplane

Avatar: 49819 Fri Dec 05 01:45:00 -0500 2008

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Troll

:)

MeatLoafFan Posted:

3 Reasons that that is false.

1) Forumwarz has not trolled anyone.

2) Most of the base user is over 18.

3) It’s Canadian. Wait…actually that’s a good question, is it hosted in Canada? or in the US?

Fine 2 reasons. But the first is enough, it’s individual people.

1) Plenty of things on FWZ can be construed as “trolling” to certain groups or individuals. Half of the forums are making fun of some group or another. And while that might not be what the law is MEANT to be used for, it will still be abused in that way.

2) Most, not all I was well under 18 when I first started playing. Not to mention that again, the law is likely to be misused.

3) True. JB is an eskimo and Trout is a polar bear.

Acid Flux

Avatar: 6767 Tue Mar 17 11:41:54 -0400 2009

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

KYOUBAI IS SUPER-SERIOUS BUSINESS

The biggest defense FWZ has, LS, is that you have to specifically state that you are not ‘easily offended’, and then you have to actually go through a (relatively speaking) very long process before you can even post in the forums.

You don’t just stumble into FWZ, and get involved in the forum community.

-MLF-

Avatar: 83146 Sun Jan 18 18:56:12 -0500 2009

Level 60 Hacker

“Cracking Addict”

Amphitrite Posted:

You don’t harbum someone when they’re physically in front of you, don’t harbum them when they’re online.

Yes, but the thing about being online is that there’s proof here. If I went up to you irl, and insulted you, it’s perfectly acceptable. But would this make doing it online being illegal?

Amphitrite Posted:

The bill is more meant for that kind of case.

The bill should be amended to exclusively include the continued harbumment of a specific individual, singling them out, and using insults based on information that they have not willingly shared with you.

But even then, the bill shouldn’t pbum. If I told you that my spouse committed suicide, then you start trolling me in GRP, it’s my fault for telling you in the first place.

However if you post my name & address (as in the boxxy example), AFTER death threats have been made, there should be some kind of protection.

But we all know that going after the end user never works.

Also, this law is lacking a lot of detail, if an american citizen, trolls another american citizen, on a Canadian hosted website, will it still apply?

Lord Shplane

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Troll

Acid Flux Posted:

The biggest defense FWZ has, LS, is that you have to specifically state that you are not ‘easily offended’, and then you have to actually go through a (relatively speaking) very long process before you can even post in the forums.

You don’t just stumble into FWZ, and get involved in the forum community.

bumuming that the American judicial system isn’t absolutely very special.

Which it is.

Even if this law specifically excludes certain activities, or specifies extremely particular actions that constitute what it is making illegal, it WILL be used to wrongfully prosecute people who have done something that someone else gets mildly annoyed over.

Not that in general it will matter. Individual trolls will get away just fine, because it’s honestly impossible and a waste of money to track them all down. It’s organizations and particular websites that are going to be hit, because they’re large and visible, and thus much easier targets. Even if that’s NOT what the law is for, that’s what idiots are going to use it for.

iChan

Level 8 Camwhore

“Training Broad”

Seems like inanity incarnate. If pbumed I expect that many sites would be hosted outside of America.

Jim McPerson

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Lee_Harvey_Oswald Posted:

HORRAY, I LIVE IN CANADA. **** YOU UNITED STATES LAW. WOO.

Hooray, I live in Eastern Europe. **** you entire North American continent.

Amphitrite

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

MeatLoafFan Posted:

Yes, but the thing about being online is that there’s proof here. If I went up to you irl, and insulted you, it’s perfectly acceptable. But would this make doing it online being illegal?

Agreed that the bill probably won’t pbum due to the numerous loop holes it has. It shouldn’t make it illegal though with idiots running the states it probably would be.

If its repeated and it was affecting them in their rl. Example: Posted all over facebook and everyone at work/school starts harrbuming him/her/them and this happens more than once. Whatever happened to good conduct and morals anyways…nvm things like these need to be runned by the site owners/administrators/moderators rather than by a federal law that can be abused.

Its an american bill, thus it shouldn’t affect any other countries. There isn’t a international internet tribunal (comparing to the international war tribunal set from WWII).

Lord Shplane

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Troll

Amphitrite Posted:

Agreed that the bill probably won’t pbum due to the numerous loop holes it has. It shouldn’t make it illegal though with idiots running the states it probably would be.

If its repeated and it was affecting them in their rl. Example: Posted all over facebook and everyone at work/school starts harrbuming him/her/them and this happens more than once. Whatever happened to good conduct and morals anyways…nvm things like these need to be runned by the site owners/administrators/moderators rather than by a federal law that can be abused.

Its an american bill, thus it shouldn’t affect any other countries. There isn’t a international internet tribunal (comparing to the international war tribunal set from WWII).

Oh **** I just imagined what an International Internet Tribunal would look like and ****ed myself laughing.

Cheins Sanch-
ez

Avatar: 64305 2015-06-13 02:49:05 -0400

[The Airship]

Level 36 Troll

Rex Sacrorum

I honestly don’t care if it gets pbumed or not. You can’t enforce something like this.

Big Brother

Avatar: 45759 Fri Oct 17 23:44:23 -0400 2008

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

Lord Shplane Posted:

Oh **** I just imagined what an International Internet Tribunal would look like and ****ed myself laughing.

Real Internet Court?

-MLF-

Avatar: 83146 Sun Jan 18 18:56:12 -0500 2009

Level 60 Hacker

“Cracking Addict”

Cheins Sanchez Posted:

I honestly don’t care if it gets pbumed or not. You can’t enforce something like this.

It’s like download music, there’s not enough police officers.

A-Sat

Avatar: 126056 Wed Jun 03 21:38:37 -0400 2009

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

You can’t enforce it. You just re-host the sites somewhere else, then the US can’t do anything, unless it’s “national security” and they send the CIA in. But it would still be too much trouble. The internet belongs to everyone, every country. How can you pbum legislation on a collectively-owned, very vaguely defined, nearly endless amount of data?

Runox

[Screw Being Social-
Im My Own Klan
]

Level 35 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

A-Sat Posted:

You can’t enforce it. You just re-host the sites somewhere else, then the US can’t do anything, unless it’s “national security” and they send the CIA in. But it would still be too much trouble. The internet belongs to everyone, every country. How can you pbum legislation on a collectively-owned, very vaguely defined, nearly endless amount of data?

Eeeexactly. The internets is not just the US. You can’t say it’s illegal to do something on it unless it’s worldwide. Unless congress thinks that since we’re the only world power, we say what goes. Riiight. Anyway, yeah, this isn’t gonna pbum, and it never really had a chance. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ll be in my trailer. Log in to see images!

Edit: Fixed a lotta major typos. Log in to see images! Runox edited this message on 05/19/2009 10:27PM

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!