Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Feature Suggestion: Forum Speed

Seerow

[Elitist Superstruc-
ture
]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Well, I was thinking about the problems with defense, as brought up in the Defense thread earlier, and thought of something that may potentially make the difference:

Add a speed/activity level to Forums. Think, extremely active forums when invaded don’t just post once for every spam post that’s made, you’ll see 3 4 or 5 posts from different users before the attacker gets another shot. Likewise, some attacks, like re-re attacks are easier to use and can be done extremely fast, where a decent insult takes some time and is slower…

My idea for implementation would be making something similar to the CT system from Final Fantasy Tactics. Say you have a CT gauge (you can rename it to whatever, I’m just calling it CT cause it’s what I’m familiar with) that goes from 0 to 100. This gauge fills by your speed every turn, when it hits 100 or more, you get an action. All actions take some amount of CT. Anywhere from 1-100. 1 would be an incredibly fast attack, 100 would be incredibly slow.

The only thing is I’d set minimum speed at around 5. Below that point one point of speed makes enough difference to get double attacks, and makes it easily the most powerful stat. Where above that point, having faster attacks could make up for having a lower speed.

Also, this would make defense actually worth something, as an active forum might have a ton of re-re-esque posters, that do less damage per hit. This makes defense worth more against these people, while maintaining a sufficient challenge for those with less defense. As opposed to some forums which currently use tons of HP to compensate for low damage.

It’d be a big thing to introduce, and make it more of a balancing act, but I think it’d introduce an extra depth that will allow you to keep the game interesting longer.

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

It’s not a bad suggestion, but like you mention it would really complicated things. Everything is based on turns right now, so to make it so that multiple turns could happen before you get a turn would be quite different.

Seerow

[Elitist Superstruc-
ture
]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Yes, it would be different, but most of the complication would go on behind the scenes. For the average user, against an average forum, they would realize using faster attacks makes it more likely to get a double turn. It -sounds- really complicated, but if you’ve ever played Final Fantasy Tactics, you’ll see what I mean. The CT gauge is there for anyone to see, but most players don’t bother with it, realize how it works, or why it matters. They just know that they have a higher speed than the enemy, so they’re likely to double turn and get extra attacks. Or they know they can wait rather than attack to conserve CT and get another turn earlier.

The same basic concept would be introduced with different attack speeds.

It’d be a bit of a balancing act at first, to get everything running at a level you found acceptable, but once that was in place, you’d be able to extend it and play with it based on the median you introduce. For a starting point, I’d again, recommend trying FFT and using numbers similar to what you see there, then modify to your liking.

Or you could devise your own system of speed. The main concept is the idea that people -can- spam/flood forums pretty quick if they’re not caring what they post, so long as they post quickly. And forums CAN pwn you pretty damn quick if they have tons of members all fairly active and flaming you at once. I mean does it make sense that the Denture forum is just as active as the Headbanger forum? Not really.

Seerow

[Elitist Superstruc-
ture
]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

No other thoughts on this?

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

Sorry, I’ve been super busy lately (and I think I’ve got a flu or something).

I do like the idea a lot, but knowing the way I’ve developed the battle state machine it would be a lot of work to get it into place. Right now it’s always you go / forum goes, and speed is implemented in the very basic form of the refresh.

To extend it to allow the forum (or yourself) to post multiple times in a row is conceivable, but would be a lot of work to implement.

And of course, the bigger issue is we’d have to go back and modify all the existing forums to take it into account, yet make sure the difficulty level remained fairly constant. So that would be a lot of work and additional testing.

So I’m not saying “never”, just I can’t see it happening any time soon with all the things that are on our plates Log in to see images!

BeavisSaves

[Pessimists]

Level 10 Troll

GODAMN BATMAN!! AND YUO KNO W IT"

lazy bum method of implementing: couldn’t you just have the thread spew out more comebacks in direct relation to how much damage it does to you, but still do the same damage? you don’t have to rebalance and the general idea of “Bigger forums have more defenders” is still conveyed

Seerow

[Elitist Superstruc-
ture
]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

well the easy way to balance currently existing forums would be to give them all a speed of 5, make your base speed 5, and just make it so you can’t upgrade speed or whatever until you reach level 11/episode2. Then later you can go back and rebalance those to make them faster or slower as suits you.

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

BeavisSaves Posted:

lazy bum method of implementing: couldn’t you just have the thread spew out more comebacks in direct relation to how much damage it does to you, but still do the same damage? you don’t have to rebalance and the general idea of “Bigger forums have more defenders” is still conveyed

This is certainly a possibility! Much easier to implement without screwing up the balance.

SouleXtincti-
on

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Evil Trout Posted:

BeavisSaves Posted:

This is certainly a possibility! Much easier to implement without screwing up the balance.

If it’s possible to link a chain of posts to a very damaging attack, would it be possible to link a different set of posts for when you’re hit for 0/the forum misses? Something to reflect that the forum botched it with a lame post like, “yeahah well aur liek,.. rummm a RJERK! taek dat! Log in to see images!

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!