Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Business Domination Enhancements Thread

Wyrd

Avatar: 2782 2011-10-31 19:56:49 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Camwhore

I tried to get over myself, but I'm just too awesome!

My thoughts:

Make the Alt changes first cause it will probably affect raids and the changes that you want to make to raids.

Raid changes should be second, because raids should be balanced before more medals are given out with the Dom changes.

Also, keep up the good work.

Vuron

Avatar: 4928 2011-07-31 00:39:10 -0400

[Team Shortbus]

Level 40 Emo Kid

Vile serpent! I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Alt changes are definitely the most useful fix bumuming that a) they are ghosted for that week (just like cheaters they don’t count for or against the klan totals) and b) they can still collect individual peens for streaks and what not.

Limiting the number of alts that anyone player can bring to the party should go a long way to limiting the number of klan vanilla scoops gained and would also help solve the perpetual problem with alt stacking. This would encourage klans to expand membership in order to increase potential klan raiding gains making domination a more inclusive rather than exclusive game.

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

Alt changes first, since we might actually discover that those changes solve everything.

If alt restriction doesn’t stop the bracket stuffing problem, I would split that off option 3 and address that next.

If there is still a raid problem, raids next. Solo vanilla has really already balanced raiding for everyone except the serious alt raiders, so I’ll be pretty surprised if alt restriction doesn’t fix it.

I don’t know about shifting medals to being based on scoops earned. That implies that it will be considerably harder for new players to earn medals, but maybe the plan is for the threshold to be low enough to only hit those weird tiny brackets. I’d probably put new medals and Dom cards ahead of this, since those tiny brackets generally don’t have serious Dom players and the medals won end up being non-competitive in the grand scheme of things.

Ricket

Avatar: 4300 2011-11-01 00:56:47 -0400

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Troll

Good poster, upvoted. Also loves juicy balls (no homo).

BINGEBOT 2015 Posted:

Alt changes: Allow only X characters to participate in dom each week; it would likely auto-select the first 5 characters to earn scoops that week; outstanding characters can’t be marked as pwning forums; no alts in the same bracket

Votin’ for this one.

I’m not sure the raid changes would be necessary if that gets implemented. I guess we’ll see.

plk

Avatar: 9972 2010-01-24 16:28:42 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

My only concern with alt changes is that then, medals will pretty much go to whoever has the most people in the same klan in your particular bracket. So if you want it to be all about individual achievement or how well you work together, that doesn’t really do it, either, if it’s really about filling up a bracket with klanmates. Though they do have to be active and get scoops, so maybe it’s fine. I think it might be more fun if there were more of different types of medals to be had, so that everyone isn’t either blocking each other or just going for the same three medals.

Jwred5

Avatar: 24279 Mon Nov 24 22:12:21 -0500 2008

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Pantsless Lord of the Sith

So what you’re saying is, it’s fine for people to buy a ton of alts to hoard medals. But once some changes are implemented that encourage more than 3-4 people to work together, it’s biased against the people with tons of alts who work together to hoard medals? I don’t think that is very productive thinking.

Jwred5 edited this message on 12/05/2008 2:16PM

plk

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

No, I’m not saying that at all. But currently, alts simply are the best way that people in small klans have of competing with large klans. I thought this was about encouraging more klans to raid that don’t and more evenly distributing medals.

plk edited this message on 12/05/2008 2:12PM

Vuron

[Team Shortbus]

Level 40 Emo Kid

plk Posted:

My only concern with alt changes is that then, medals will pretty much go to whoever has the most people in the same klan in your particular bracket. So if you want it to be all about individual achievement or how well you work together, that doesn’t really do it, either, if it’s really about filling up a bracket with klanmates. Though they do have to be active and get scoops, so maybe it’s fine. I think it might be more fun if there were more of different types of medals to be had, so that everyone isn’t either blocking each other or just going for the same three medals.

So the jist of what I’m reading in your comment is while it’s fine for people to abuse the current system in an attempt to lock up medals, you are opposed to a system that might enable members of another currently larger klan to dominate based on sheer numbers?

I bumume that you feel that you would be unwelcome in this klan and would likely get targeted relentlessly thereby blocking you from medalling except in the early part of a season?

My response to this is that any system that rewards cooperative play is going to provide an edge to the most organized group. In the past that has been SoQTR and then KoLOL followed by Good Omens/E2B/BoD. Each of those klans were clearly able to dominate the playing field during the height of their power. That isn’t to say that unaffiliated players haven’t been successful in coming up with coping strategies.

By limiting alts there will be a drastic reduction in the amount of klan vanilla in play. That will immediately make the top bracket competitive (currently it’s by no means competitive). Further limiting alts will prevent players like meeeee, amasius, malaise, scully, etc from alt stacking in order to dominate the lower brackets. Simply put plutonium donations won’t buy you automatic medals anymore. I don’t see that as a bad thing.

Finally the limits on ties are a good practical limit on the effective size of klans. Either you need to be willing to maybe get a medal every 3-4 weeks or a big klan with lots of competive players is going to be a limiting factor. So realistically the oversized version of brainfreeze that exists now would likely shed a huge number of alts as some people would continue to raid, some people would focus on solo domination, and some people might just keep an alt or 2 in there for a sense of community.

plk

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

Vuron Posted:

So the jist of what I’m reading in your comment is while it’s fine for people to abuse the current system in an attempt to lock up medals, you are opposed to a system that might enable members of another currently larger klan to dominate based on sheer numbers?

I bumume that you feel that you would be unwelcome in this klan and would likely get targeted relentlessly thereby blocking you from medalling except in the early part of a season?

My response to this is that any system that rewards cooperative play is going to provide an edge to the most organized group. In the past that has been SoQTR and then KoLOL followed by Good Omens/E2B/BoD. Each of those klans were clearly able to dominate the playing field during the height of their power. That isn’t to say that unaffiliated players haven’t been successful in coming up with coping strategies.

By limiting alts there will be a drastic reduction in the amount of klan vanilla in play. That will immediately make the top bracket competitive (currently it’s by no means competitive). Further limiting alts will prevent players like meeeee, amasius, malaise, scully, etc from alt stacking in order to dominate the lower brackets. Simply put plutonium donations won’t buy you automatic medals anymore. I don’t see that as a bad thing.

Finally the limits on ties are a good practical limit on the effective size of klans. Either you need to be willing to maybe get a medal every 3-4 weeks or a big klan with lots of competive players is going to be a limiting factor. So realistically the oversized version of brainfreeze that exists now would likely shed a huge number of alts as some people would continue to raid, some people would focus on solo domination, and some people might just keep an alt or 2 in there for a sense of community.

Again, no, that’s not quite what I’m saying. All I’m saying is that medals will* be going to the largest klans. If that’s the most fair solution, then fine. And I’m not sure why you think I would be interested in joining any other klan. If I can’t win anything due to sheer numbers, that’s fine, but I certainly have zero interest in joining a klan full of people I don’t know or don’t really like.

*Also, I’m not sure that this is truly the case, as yes, the amount of participating alts will decrease in large klans as well. That’s why I simply brought it up a concern. I certainly favor limiting alts over some of the other proposed solutions.

plk edited this message on 12/05/2008 3:22PM

Vuron

[Team Shortbus]

Level 40 Emo Kid

My point was that the new changes might empower large somewhat organized klans (the former would certain qualify the behemoths like 7VD or ED – the second doesn’t). However we aren’t sure of that at the current time.

However we can be fairly certain that it would prevent klan vanilla from completely overwhelming the top bracket (which nobody can deny currently happens). Further if implemented correctly this would also solve the problem of having solo players with 4+ alts in the same bracket using team tactics to ensure that one of the alts gets medals (obviously also happening currently).

So with one relatively simple coding job (cheaters already don’t count in terms of forums pwned so ET should be able to reuse some of the code- a good thing) you can knock out 2 of the biggest complaints with the current implementation of domination.

Further Bingebot has indicated multiple times that domination is a work in progress and that he favors incremental improvements rather than wholesale rewriting the code. Thus it can be logically inferred that if this proposed fix breaks certain things, other fixes can be used to patch, etc.

The ultimate goal shouldn’t really be about pleasing the people at the top of the medal leaderboards but should instead be focused on improving the gameplay for new players. Considering that with the level cap in place most people can easily make lvl 35 providing a fun and enjoyable endgame experience for the entire community rather than a rather small subsection should be the priority.

plk

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

I guess I’m not sure what you’re objecting to here about what I’m saying. I agree that limiting alts solves a lot of issues, but my remaining concern was simply that giant klans might squash players in small klans, just due to sheer numbers. There are a lot of small klans, and in the middle brackets, will they be able to medal? Maybe, maybe not, but it was just a concern. As for the top brackets, I think people there are capable of taking care of themselves, whether that means recruiting or playing differently or whatever.

Amasius

Avatar: 21158 2015-06-13 23:07:57 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

OMFG! It is MY bum!

Amasius Posted:

All changes are good and necessary, but I think the alt changes should be implemented first because it would fix the two biggest problems dom has right now. And hurry up, I already have 7 alts in the three highest brackets. Log in to see images!

8 alts in the top 3 brackets now. Seriously, this is becoming ridiculous. It can’t be very difficult and time consuming to implement this and I think it’s more important than a new silly peen. (Not that there is something wrong with new peens)

BINGEBOT 2015

Avatar: 38 2010-12-05 22:39:25 -0500

Level 12 Troll

I AM A GIANT FART FACE

Amasius Posted:

8 alts in the top 3 brackets now. Seriously, this is becoming ridiculous. It can’t be very difficult and time consuming to implement this and I think it’s more important than a new silly peen. (Not that there is something wrong with new peens)

It’s on the list.. top priority of all Dom enhancements and has been proven as an issue. I trust it’ll be resolved in an appropriate timeframe. To do it properly will take anywhere from 8 to 16 hours development due to the nature of the change. Fit that in with regular bug fixes and other needed changes and it’s not getting done tomorrow, but soon.

B2015

Amasius

Avatar: 21158 2015-06-13 23:07:57 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

OMFG! It is MY bum!

That’s all I’m asking for, thanks. This little fix should make the game in the middle and top brackets much fairer. Log in to see images!

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

Amasius Posted:

That’s all I’m asking for, thanks. This little fix should make the game in the middle and top brackets much fairer. Log in to see images!

Very much agree.

Vuron

[Team Shortbus]

Level 40 Emo Kid

I support scully and amasius on this issue as well.

Bling Fling

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

Problem with limiting alts: people paid for them. People spent countless hours raising them. Now I’m all for a solution that fixes alt stacking or buying medals via raids, but there are many different ideas out there that do not **** paying customers in the bum.

BINGEBOT 2015

Level 12 Troll

I AM A GIANT FART FACE

Bling Fling Posted:

Problem with limiting alts: people paid for them. People spent countless hours raising them. Now I’m all for a solution that fixes alt stacking or buying medals via raids, but there are many different ideas out there that do not **** paying customers in the bum.

Alts were never sold as a way to do better in Domination.

“Play through the game as another clbum, or try again and do things differently. ”

As I’m sure you’re aware ET’s outlook on paying is that you shouldn’t have to do it to be able to compete in Forumwarz. Thus why the cheats exclude you from Domination altogether. Having more than 1 character participate in Domination could be considered a “cheat” based on the behaviour we’re seeing.

Bling Fling

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

BINGEBOT 2015 Posted:

Alts were never sold as a way to do better in Domination.

“Play through the game as another clbum, or try again and do things differently. ”

As I’m sure you’re aware ET’s outlook on paying is that you shouldn’t have to do it to be able to compete in Forumwarz. Thus why the cheats exclude you from Domination altogether. Having more than 1 character participate in Domination could be considered a “cheat” based on the behaviour we’re seeing.

I don’t want to use my alts to give other alts an advantage. I’d just like to play domination <number_of_alts> times. Fix bracket stacking, fix raiding, whatever. Don’t turn the bulk of my characters into useless pieces of ****.

BINGEBOT 2015

Level 12 Troll

I AM A GIANT FART FACE

Bling Fling Posted:

I don’t want to use my alts to give other alts an advantage. I’d just like to play domination <number_of_alts> times. Fix bracket stacking, fix raiding, whatever. Don’t turn the bulk of my characters into useless pieces of ****.

For now the easiest fix is to limit the number of alts. Similar to how we removed ties (and have recently brought them back) or stopped alts from appearing in their own brackets (yes it used to be this way) this alteration may change over time (again).

Once the alt issue is dealt with we will look to address raids, end times (to help euro players), medals.. we can always revisit the alt restriction, but if alts EVER end up in an inactive bracket where they can get 3+medals, that’s not a good thing. So simply saying “alts can’t be in the same bracket” doesn’t work if you have more then 5 alts and you end up in an inactive bracket. Let’s improve the game and get more active users so that even if you have 20 alts in 20 different brackets, every bracket will be active.

BINGEBOT 2015 edited this message on 12/12/2008 4:56PM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!