Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Macho [CLOSED] Trolling in IDC

Indiana Jonas

Avatar: 13850 2014-12-19 09:36:26 -0500

[At Least I Never M-
ade A Failure Of A-
Website
]

Level 35 Troll

WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WW

I’ve heard rumors around that the mod/dev team is working on a set of rules for IDC that will outlaw the type of hilarious antics that went on this afternoon. Is this true, and if so, why? A good 8-9 people had a blast taking advantage of a noob, more people are living vicariously thought the thread posted about it, and the only strain it put on the mod staff was having to click “close thread” 4 times and delete one bogus bug report. It’s not like any hard judgement calls had to be made, and if n_gger had read any of the rules or walkthroughs or database or wiki or anything pretty much he wouldn’t have made the threads or the bug report.

Why, in the near future, would I be held responsible for another posters ignorance? How can you very clearly have the expectation that everyone read the rules before posting, then place the blame on anyone but the poster that didn’t read the rules?

In days gone by I have pulled the same bug report trolling, and even when the mod staff was 2/7 the size it currently is, it was laughed off as a joke.

]You can’t tell me that, with the relaxed image rules and new setup, the strain on the mod staff is more than 5-fold what it used to be.

Don’t take this opportunity to have fun here away from us. I understand it’s a bit frustrating to have to deal with idiots, but we’re not here to make your lives as easy as possible. We’re here to have fun, and if that fun slightly inconveniences you, I really don’t care. You’ll have to deal with the idiots anyway sometime, so let us at them first.

Wow, what are they going to ban next? I am just as outraged as you are!

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Hobart Bliggity Posted:

I’ve heard rumors around that the mod/dev team is working on a set of rules for IDC that will outlaw the type of hilarious antics that went on this afternoon.

Don’t trust rumors.

MercWithMouth

Avatar: 150029 2009-09-15 13:35:36 -0400

[WeChall]

Level 35 Hacker

Verbose and long-winded as always

Hobart Bliggity Posted:

I’ve heard rumors around that the mod/dev team is working on a set of rules for IDC that will outlaw the type of hilarious antics that went on this afternoon. Is this true, and if so, why? A good 8-9 people had a blast taking advantage of a noob, more people are living vicariously thought the thread posted about it, and the only strain it put on the mod staff was having to click “close thread” 4 times and delete one bogus bug report. It’s not like any hard judgement calls had to be made, and if n_gger had read any of the rules or walkthroughs or database or wiki or anything pretty much he wouldn’t have made the threads or the bug report.

Why, in the near future, would I be held responsible for another posters ignorance? How can you very clearly have the expectation that everyone read the rules before posting, then place the blame on anyone but the poster that didn’t read the rules?

In days gone by I have pulled the same bug report trolling, and even when the mod staff was 2/7 the size it currently is, it was laughed off as a joke.

]You can’t tell me that, with the relaxed image rules and new setup, the strain on the mod staff is more than 5-fold what it used to be.

Don’t take this opportunity to have fun here away from us. I understand it’s a bit frustrating to have to deal with idiots, but we’re not here to make your lives as easy as possible. We’re here to have fun, and if that fun slightly inconveniences you, I really don’t care. You’ll have to deal with the idiots anyway sometime, so let us at them first.

You know, for a self-professed Troll, you’re BAWWWWing pretty loudly.

MOD EDIT: User banned for trolling in CD.

MercWithMouth was banned for this post by Nicco

MercWithMouth edited this message on 07/23/2009 2:25PM

Melanin-Enha-
nced Individ-
ual

Avatar: 174541 2012-01-02 15:34:06 -0500

[enjoy GANG]

Level 35 Troll

If I can write this, my whole life has been wasted. I'm worthless and awful.

signed.

spacekadt

Avatar: 16186 2011-11-01 00:02:40 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Camwhore

meh

or banhammer can ninja me Log in to see images! spacekadt edited this message on 05/27/2009 4:48PM

The Shade

Avatar: 107703 Sun Jan 04 22:31:23 -0500 2009

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Emotionally Stable”

MercWithMouth Posted:

HObart’s problem, which I fully understand, is that once everything gets regulated, what’s left?

Melanin-Enha-
nced Individ-
ual

Avatar: 174541 2012-01-02 15:34:06 -0500

[enjoy GANG]

Level 35 Troll

If I can write this, my whole life has been wasted. I'm worthless and awful.

MercWithMouth Posted:

ye if this online game about trolling people online gets to the point where no trolling is allowed, its just going to be a bad game with nothing going for it, and people like you playing.

Mod Edit: User banned for Trolling in CD. The original post was trolling, regardless of your attempt to edit it.

Melanin-Enhanced Individual was banned for this post by Sergeant Cid

Melanin-Enhanced Individual edited this message on 07/23/2009 2:25PM

MercWithMouth Posted:

There’s something you aren’t Log in to see images!

Sergeant Cid

Avatar: 167814 2011-07-31 00:46:27 -0400

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Scientifically Proven Terrible fabulous person..... Evidence shows mbumive build up of semen deposit in bum.

MercWithMouth Posted:

Lee_Harvey_Oswald Posted:

ye if this online game about trolling people online gets to the point where no trolling is allowed, its just going to be a bad game with nothing going for it.

And this is still in Civil Discussion, gentlemen. We can discuss this ‘rumor’ without making snide remarks.

Indiana Jonas

Avatar: 13850 2014-12-19 09:36:26 -0500

[At Least I Never M-
ade A Failure Of A-
Website
]

Level 35 Troll

WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WW

Ok you say don’t trust the rumors but does this “rumor” really seem all that farfetched given the amount of talk there has been about upcoming rule changes and the reactions the mod staff has had to slightly inconvenient things in the past(50 tubmails = banable)?

Sorry if I got a little worked up reading your response in the other thread but it’s not like you guys haven’t taken away fun in the name of convenience before.

zigzagoon

Avatar: 28782 2011-07-31 12:19:07 -0400

Level 20 Permanoob

“Asshat”

lee has a point though, trolling and general bumhattery is part of what makes this game special and when the trolling is reduced forumwarz becomes more like “another one of those browser games”

in other news, i do not believe the rumor

zigzagoon edited this message on 05/27/2009 5:06PM

Sergeant Cid

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Scientifically Proven Terrible fabulous person..... Evidence shows mbumive build up of semen deposit in bum.

Hobart Bliggity Posted:

Ok you say don’t trust the rumors but does this “rumor” really seem all that farfetched given the amount of talk there has been about upcoming rule changes and the reactions the mod staff has had to slightly inconvenient things in the past(50 tubmails = banable)?

Sorry if I got a little worked up reading your response in the other thread but it’s not like you guys haven’t taken away fun in the name of convenience before.

In this case, I think our general consensus is that it’s more convenient & fair to allow IDC to remain virtually un-moderated.

Look at our decision regarding embedded shock images. We actually decided to be more lenient in that regard. Why would you bumume that we’re planning to be less lenient in IDC?

The tubmail spamming is a different matter, because it can actually cause lag on the server (IIRC) because many people have the TM accounts set up to also send them an IRL e-mail. And I think we’ve only taken action in the very extreme cases of TM spamming, in any event.

Contrary to popular belief, we want there to be areas of the forum that allow people to cut loose in major ways. And we also want areas that allow for constructive & civil discussion. We’re trying to offer more options, not less.

twas

Avatar: 40896 2011-11-01 00:47:59 -0400

[fine upstanding member of society]

Level 35 Troll

Wher Have My Poor Imaginary Wife and Child Gone

Lee_Harvey_Oswald Posted:

ye if this online game about trolling people online gets to the point where no trolling is allowed, its just going to be a bad game with nothing going for it, and people like you playing.

Mod Edit: User banned for Trolling in CD. The original post was trolling, regardless of your attempt to edit it.

? So no edits then?

Samildanach

Avatar: 143751 Tue May 19 21:18:21 -0400 2009

Level 34 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

So, let me get this straight. After messing with a newb by lying to them in IDC, a bunch of players decided the rumor I bumume they’d heard on IDC, about new rules for IDC, was gospel truth, and they want to pre-emptively act a little upset about it?

I know you guys were busy patting yourselves on the back for trolling the newb, but I do believe a better troll just played you all.

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

can we request that single posts be made non-rp?

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Adapt Posted:

can we request that single posts be made non-rp?

NON-RP? In the RP forums?

How confusing!

Sergeant Cid

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

was Posted:

? So no edits then?

I reverted his post back to the original.

twas

Avatar: 40896 2011-11-01 00:47:59 -0400

[fine upstanding member of society]

Level 35 Troll

Wher Have My Poor Imaginary Wife and Child Gone

Sergeant Cid Posted:

I reverted his post back to the original.

Why? I can only bumume that he edited his post to something that wasn’t trolling within one minute. This seems like a strange precedent. Strange probably not being the right word.

Sergeant Cid

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

was Posted:

Why? I can only bumume that he edited his post to something that wasn’t trolling within one minute. This seems like a strange precedent. Strange probably not being the right word.

He and Merc both committed a trolling offense. I saw both posts in their original version, and began to respond. My intention was to let both off with a warning. While I was responding, Merc was banned for his trolling act by another Mod. During that time, LHO edited his post. Banning one but not the other would have been unfair. I therefore banned LHO for his trolling, and reverted the original post, to show what he was banned for.

Both players were banned for trolling in the same thread. The fact that one decided to edit his post and the other did not doesn’t change the facts of the original offenses. I based my decision on what I saw, not what it was changed to.

As far as a ‘precedent’, this is nothing new. If you make a trolling post, and it is reported, and you then edit your post, the original post is still part of the original report. If the original post breaks the rules, then it doesn’t matter what you ‘edited’ it to. You still broke the rules, and you still face the potential consequences. We’ve banned numerous people for making troll posts even though the edited them after they were reported.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!