Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Macho [CLOSED] Trolling in IDC

CoreyJess

Avatar: 2355 2015-02-10 15:56:06 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Pie cannot hide overwhelming naughtiness!

Lee_Harvey_Oswald Posted:

ye if this online game about trolling people online gets to the point where no trolling is allowed, its just going to be a bad game with nothing going for it, and people like you playing.

Mod Edit: User banned for Trolling in CD. The original post was trolling, regardless of your attempt to edit it.

I fail to see how this is a bannable troll?

It may not be funny, or entirely coherent, but bannable? I think you might be over reaching.

Merc’s maybe, but this?

CoreyJess edited this message on 05/27/2009 11:33PM

Sergeant Cid

Avatar: 167814 2011-07-31 00:46:27 -0400

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Scientifically Proven Terrible fabulous person..... Evidence shows mbumive build up of semen deposit in bum.

“and people like you playing.”

Considering that it was a reply to Merc’s trolling post and was specifically directed at Merc, and the fact that LHO tried to hide it by editing it (which suggests that he knew that it crossed a line, and was hoping to fix it before a Mod saw it), I stand behind my call.

If LHO wants to appeal his ban, he’s welcome to do so. I’d be interested to hear his explanation about how that last line (which is what he tried to edit out) was anything but trolling Merc.

Counter-trolling is still trolling.

CoreyJess

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Sergeant Cid Posted:

”and people like you playing.”

Considering that it was a reply to Merc’s trolling post and was specifically directed at Merc, and the fact that LHO tried to hide it by editing it (which suggests that he knew that it crossed a line, and was hoping to fix it before a Mod saw it), I stand behind my call.

If LHO wants to appeal his ban, he’s welcome to do so. I’d be interested to hear his explanation about how that last line (which is what he tried to edit out) was anything but trolling Merc.

Counter-trolling is still trolling.

So we are not even aloud to be smartbumes to the people who are trolling to begin with?

I’d never heard of a ban for such a minimal phrase before you were a mod. Just saying.

CoreyJess edited this message on 05/27/2009 11:46PM

Ricket

Avatar: 4300 2011-11-01 00:56:47 -0400

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Troll

Good poster, upvoted. Also loves juicy balls (no homo).

If a tree falls in the forest user posts a somewhat trolly remark, but edits it before anyone can report it, is it still a bannable offense?

Actually kinda curious here.

Sergeant Cid

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Scientifically Proven Terrible fabulous person..... Evidence shows mbumive build up of semen deposit in bum.

1. If someone is trolling, report them or ignore them.

2. Counter-trolling is still trolling, so don’t do it.

3. My original intent was to warn them both. Read my above post for more info on that.

4. LHO knew that what he posted crossed a line. That’s why he edited it.

twas

Avatar: 40896 2011-11-01 00:47:59 -0400

[fine upstanding member of society]

Level 35 Troll

Wher Have My Poor Imaginary Wife and Child Gone

Sergeant Cid Posted:

As far as a ‘precedent’, this is nothing new. If you make a trolling post, and it is reported, and you then edit your post, the original post is still part of the original report. If the original post breaks the rules, then it doesn’t matter what you ‘edited’ it to. You still broke the rules, and you still face the potential consequences. We’ve banned numerous people for making troll posts even though the edited them after they were reported.

I will say that I wasn’t aware of this, but fine.

I would like to add that in my opinion if someone is editing a post to something that wasn’t a troll then that could be considered that they are trying to respect the rules. I know that at times things I have posted came out harsher than I intended. Whether you consider it a “ban worthy troll” or not, I think it was obvious that he didn’t want to break any of the posting guidelines.

Sergeant Cid

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Ricket Posted:

If a tree falls in the forest user posts a somewhat trolly remark, but edits it before anyone can report it, is it still a bannable offense?

Actually kinda curious here.

A Mod witnessing the offense is more than sufficient. If I hadn’t seen the original post, and if it hadn’t been reported before it was edited, then this would be a different issue. I’m sure that dozens of posts every day get ‘fixed’ before a report or Mod view.

This one didn’t. Both posters are sitting on a ban (one shorter than the other), and it’s time to move on.

Sergeant Cid

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

was Posted:

I think it was obvious that he didn’t want to break any of the posting guidelines.

Which is why I was first going to issue a warning to both, and leave it at that.

And his intent to self-correct his error was factored into my decision on ban-length.

CoreyJess

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Sergeant Cid Posted:

Which is why I was first going to issue a warning to both, and leave it at that.

And his intent to self-correct his error was factored into my decision on ban-length.

That’s the point. If you were only going to warn him, why change your mind and punish him more if he realized the error of his ways, and was going to change it?

Sergeant Cid

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Because I was going to warn both of them. And since another Mod decided to ban Merc (because Merc’s post was reported), it would have been unfair to have one banned and the other not, because they were both trolling in Civil Discussion.

Both posters receive same/similar punishment for the same/similar offense. IIRC, that’s one of the things that the general public has been asking for.

FAIL

Avatar: 36735 2015-06-13 23:04:37 -0400

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 25 Re-Re

Head of the Ministry of Man bumes

Saying “well I was only going to warn them” and then banning them is pretty stupid IMO. This is a very clear example of how mods should always err on the side of leniency.

I think banning someone for pointing out how someone is whining (which Hobart kind of was) then banning someone for an extremely harmless “people like you” comment is a slippery slope (more of a slippery slope than allowing very minor “trolls” imo).

I have always thought there was a big difference between trolling, and disagreeing in a childish way. To me, the trolling rule in CD was in place to protect new users who had legitimate questions, or let people carry on semi-serious conversations without people intentionally derailing them or turning it into a ****fest. If it were up to me (which it isn’t) I would say as long as you keep the thread on track and you aren’t intentionally trying to get a rise out of someone for no reason, it should be fine without a warning.

Banning them both looks a lot like mods are finding reasons to ban, instead of keeping the forum clean.

TUBSWEETIE

Avatar: 3450 2011-07-31 00:45:06 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

MY MEMORY IS THAT OF A SMALL GRAPE

FAIL Posted:

Saying “well I was only going to warn them” and then banning them is pretty stupid IMO. This is a very clear example of how mods should always err on the side of leniency.

I think banning someone for pointing out how someone is whining (which Hobart kind of was) then banning someone for an extremely harmless “people like you” comment is a slippery slope (more of a slippery slope than allowing very minor “trolls” imo).

I have always thought there was a big difference between trolling, and disagreeing in a childish way. To me, the trolling rule in CD was in place to protect new users who had legitimate questions, or let people carry on semi-serious conversations without people intentionally derailing them or turning it into a ****fest. If it were up to me (which it isn’t) I would say as long as you keep the thread on track and you aren’t intentionally trying to get a rise out of someone for no reason, it should be fine without a warning.

Banning them both looks a lot like mods are finding reasons to ban, instead of keeping the forum clean.

good comments.

FAIL

Avatar: 36735 2015-06-13 23:04:37 -0400

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 25 Re-Re

Head of the Ministry of Man bumes

See, take this thread for example. It would have been easier to let them both go, and instead of there being another random page about forum rules and bans the thread might have actually stayed on track.

Sergeant Cid

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Let me try to explain this, one last time.

When I encountered this situation, I saw two posters making trolling posts. Given the choice of banning both or warning both (both choices being equally valid), I decided to be lenient, and made a post to warn both of them. While I was doing so, another Moderator banned one of the two posters I was going to warn. I chose to amend my decision and follow suit with my fellow Moderator, and banned the other poster. This was the most fair option, because punishing one and not the other would have been biased. And our goal is to be fair.

That’s it.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!