Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Help General Input & Discussion Regarding FlameBate Forum Rules

Sergeant Cid

Avatar: 167814 2011-07-31 00:46:27 -0400

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Scientifically Proven Terrible fabulous person..... Evidence shows mbumive build up of semen deposit in bum.

Hi there, folks.

As most of you know, we’re working very hard behind the scenes to hammer out a new & better set of rules, as seen in this Help article. Our most recent update was a more neatly organized rules article on the Knowledge Base. This is the current set of rules, and it represents one of the initial efforts of the Mod Team. You can expect to see more public changes & additions as time goes on, once we’ve made certain decisions and CZ has given it their official blessing. For updates as to when this occurs, be sure to check MC Banhammer’s Rule Update Thread regularly.

For now, however, instead of having a dozen different threads discussing the general public’s opinions & reaction to the current & future rules, let’s keep it all in this one thread. If you like or dislike a particular current rule, that’s fine, and you’re welcome to share your opinion. However, what would be even better is if you could also share some reasons about why you feel the way that you do. Your input is important to us, because in the end, we’re doing this for the community, not for ourselves.

I’d also like to remind everyone that this is Civil Discussion, so please remain constructive & respectful. And if you aren’t comfortable posting your opinion publicly, you can always contact us either via TM or the Contact Us function.

Please remember: this is not a thread to dispute any current bans or engage in anything except constructive dialogue.

You may refer to a specific ban-situation, if it is part of a discussion on the rules, but any ‘Unban XXXX’ posts will be ignored, deleted and/or edited, as needed.

So… what’s on your mind?

Sergeant Cid edited this message on 05/05/2009 5:33PM

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Sergeant Cid Posted:

Our most recent update was a more neatly organized rules article on the Knowledge Base. While this is not a complete set of rules

Umm… Cid? Yes, that rules article actually is the complete set of rules, currently. That’s pretty much the whole point behind it.

And it will be updated when we hammer out more rules.

cya

Avatar: 146808 2012-12-30 22:05:41 -0500

[Deth Krew 2010]

Level 69 Hacker

Scared of death

I would like a detailed report from each mod on what they do and don’t like, so I can post my shock accordingly as to who is online or offline.

Sergeant Cid

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Scientifically Proven Terrible fabulous person..... Evidence shows mbumive build up of semen deposit in bum.

Sorry, that’s really what I meant, that additional rules or changes may be coming, so any comments about ‘This issue wasn’t addressed’ would be premature.

The article is the current state of the rules, and as there are updates, MCB’s thread will be updated accordingly.

Sorry for any confusion.

Sergeant Cid

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Chawin Posted:

I would like a detailed report from each mod on what they do and don’t like, so I can post my shock accordingly as to who is online or offline.

Sorry, but that’s just not going to happen.

Fran

Avatar: 34789 2015-08-06 21:23:09 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 62 Camwhore

I wonder who is the bumbling idiot that still has fake currency on this website and actually spends

I support Chawin’s post, and I request that we have a detailed information of every moderator’s ins and outs along with a detailed info from psychological traits from every moderator.

It’s been more and more obvious that the mod team got little to no communication, and because of that I’d feel more safe if I know what would offend one or other mod, so I can post freely without getting a ban. You know, there’s too many close calls to risk my account again.

Fran

Avatar: 34789 2015-08-06 21:23:09 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 62 Camwhore

I wonder who is the bumbling idiot that still has fake currency on this website and actually spends

Or you know, make a ****ing FFA forum where you can post everything sans scripting and personal info, make it with a flashy warning, and ban every rulebreaking stuff not in that forum.

That way we won’t need to be ever engaged with your most-of-the-time faulty judgement calls and it would be a win/win situation for everyone.

twas

Avatar: 40896 2011-11-01 00:47:59 -0400

[fine upstanding member of society]

Level 35 Troll

Wher Have My Poor Imaginary Wife and Child Gone

Fran Posted:

I support Chawin’s post, and I request that we have a detailed information of every moderator’s ins and outs along with a detailed info from psychological traits from every moderator.

It’s been more and more obvious that the mod team got little to no communication, and because of that I’d feel more safe if I know what would offend one or other mod, so I can post freely without getting a ban. You know, there’s too many close calls to risk my account again.

Thats ridiculous. Maybe you should suggest that bans for “shock” should have a 3 mod majority or something.

kittiejenn

Avatar: 18080 2011-11-01 00:29:42 -0400

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 35 Emo Kid

So damn naughty it wraps back around to nice.

Fran Posted:

Or you know, make a ****ing FFA forum where you can post everything sans scripting and personal info, make it with a flashy warning, and ban every rulebreaking stuff not in that forum.

That way we won’t need to be ever engaged with your most-of-the-time faulty judgement calls and it would be a win/win situation for everyone.

Signed

____

Avatar: 143340 Fri Mar 27 18:24:34 -0400 2009

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

It could be interesting if the punishment for violating a rule (very specifically stated) was clearly stated and universal (all mods do the same).

For example, a format like this, could also add 1° time, 2°time violating the rule, etc, whatever you want:

• Embeding a shock image = X days ban
  • Doing something craaazy = PERMABAN

This could be useful to avoid “unfair bans”, etc.

Edit: On a side note, I think rules should be as relaxed as possible.

____ edited this message on 05/05/2009 5:47PM

Sergeant Cid

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Fran Posted:

This is ridiculous, for a number of reasons. First off, the decision on what will and will not be considered a ‘shock image’ will be a collaborative effort (and will have to be approved by CZ in any event), and once a consensus has been reached, there will be less need for an individual Mod to make specific judgment call on a new image.

Note that I said less need; there will always be borderline images and activities, and anyone that chooses to dance on that line, does so at their own risk. The guidelines will be more understandable, but no set of guidelines will ever be able to delineate, to the pixel, what is and is not ‘shock’.

Second, you have no requirement to have any sort of ‘psychological profile’ on each Moderator, and the suggestion of such is an obvious and intentional trolling attempt. In the interest of open communication, let’s move past that, but again, I will remind you that this is intended to be a serious discussion. If you are unable or unwilling to participate under those guidelines, please refrain from posting anything further.

If you are seriously concerned about stepping over the line and risking your account, then it would be in your best interest to contact one or more Moderators to get feedback on any new ideas that might ‘dance on the line’. This is the safest way to make sure that you don’t get in trouble for ‘honest mistakes’. That has been an option for a very long time, and the posters that use that option seem to have very rare and infrequent bans. Those that don’t, do so at their own risk, and seem to have more frequent bans.

Sergeant Cid

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

____ Posted:

It could be interesting if the punishment for violating a rule (very specifically stated) was clearly stated and universal (all mods do the same).

For example, a format like this, could also add 1° time, 2°time violating the rule, etc, whatever you want:

• Embeding a shock image = X days ban
  • Doing something craaazy = PERMABAN

This could be useful to avoid “unfair bans”, etc.

Edit: On a side note, I think rules should be as relaxed as possible.

1. A specific ban structure (or rather, a modification to the existing one) is one of the primary points of discussion. And it seems to actually be erring on the side of leniency.

2. The rules actually have seen some relaxation. We’ve actually removed one permaban offense.

CrinkzPipe

Avatar: 35643 2015-02-20 21:59:22 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 62 Emo Kid

Hi, I'm an adult whos into bumes. But not boners!

First off, I predict this thread will quickly be ignored unless a mod checks it constantly.

Secondly,I support Chawin. I’m tired of people getting banned by “the luck of the draw” because each mod has a different set of rules. As an example Nicco thinks IDC is no-mans land where no-rules apply, while spacekadt doesn’t. One mod may warn a user for a insta-ban rule such as posting goatse, while another would simply warn them. You guys need to follow the SAME rule set so the users stop getting so damn confused about the rules of this site.

Sergeant Cid

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

CrinkzPipe Posted:

First off, I predict this thread will quickly be ignored unless a mod checks it constantly.

Secondly,I support Chawin. I’m tired of people getting banned by “the luck of the draw” because each mod has a different set of rules. As an example Nicco thinks IDC is no-mans land where no-rules apply, while spacekadt doesn’t. One mod may warn a user for a insta-ban rule such as posting goatse, while another would simply warn them. You guys need to follow the SAME rule set so the users stop getting so damn confused about the rules of this site.

1. A specific ban structure (or rather, a modification to the existing one) is one of the primary points of discussion. And it seems to actually be erring on the side of leniency.

2. The rules actually have seen some relaxation. We’ve actually removed one permaban offense.

We know that fairness of enforcement is an important issue. And we’ve factored that heavily into our discussions. When there were only 1 or 2 Mods, it was not as obvious when those two Mods had slightly different applications of enforcement. And it did happen, more than we might think, based upon the account histories I’ve seen. But with only 2 cooks in the kitchen, it never ‘boiled over’.

Now with 7 Mods, the same thing is happening, but it’s more noticeable. Part of that is that a lot more of the bannable offenses were being caught early. Four times as many sets of eyes tends to result in stronger enforcement. Add to that the enforcement structure which allowed a significant degree of individual interpretation, and this is where we are today.

When we’re allowed to go into more details, we will. I think that may be relatively soon.

Some people will be pleased with the changes, others will not. But the ultimate goal is to improve the community, not to degenerate it.

duca

Avatar: 127754 2012-12-21 23:37:31 -0500

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 38 Camwhore

Happiness cannot be bought, but Crispers can.

Sergeant Cid Posted:

We know that fairness of enforcement is an important issue. And we’ve factored that heavily into our discussions. When there were only 1 or 2 Mods, it was not as obvious when those two Mods had slightly different applications of enforcement. And it did happen, more than we might think, based upon the account histories I’ve seen. But with only 2 cooks in the kitchen, it never ‘boiled over’.

Now with 7 Mods, the same thing is happening, but it’s more noticeable. Part of that is that a lot more of the bannable offenses were being caught early. Four times as many sets of eyes tends to result in stronger enforcement. Add to that the enforcement structure which allowed a significant degree of individual interpretation, and this is where we are today.

When we’re allowed to go into more details, we will. I think that may be relatively soon.

Some people will be pleased with the changes, others will not. But the ultimate goal is to improve the community, not to degenerate it.

Can you please address the specific situation that Crinkz referred to rather then just giving the same answer over and over again? I’ve tried tubmailing a mod two days ago about it and I got no answer. Can a person post personal information in IDC and get away with it or not? That’s not a minor infraction either. We’re talking PERMABAN here. How can one mod think something is not a permaban offense and another think it is? This isn’t a grey area like shock, this one is black or white. Either it is or it isn’t.

Just the fact that I have to ask this question again is a sign that something ain’t right here. How can we possibly avoid getting banned if the mods don’t even know it’s a bannable offense?.

CrinkzPipe

Avatar: 35643 2015-02-20 21:59:22 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 62 Emo Kid

Hi, I'm an adult whos into bumes. But not boners!

Another quick question. Why the hell can we put NSFW tags in the contest threads and allow nudity, but can’t do it anywhere else?

spacekadt

Avatar: 16186 2011-11-01 00:02:40 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Camwhore

meh

duca Posted:

Can you please address the specific situation that Crinkz referred to rather then just giving the same answer over and over again? I’ve tried tubmailing a mod two days ago about it and I got no answer. Can a person post personal information in IDC and get away with it or not? That’s not a minor infraction either. We’re talking PERMABAN here. How can one mod think something is not a permaban offense and another think it is? This isn’t a grey area like shock, this one is black or white. Either it is or it isn’t.

Just the fact that I have to ask this question again is a sign that something ain’t right here. How can we possibly avoid getting banned if the mods don’t even know it’s a bannable offense?.

I believe that only things that can get CZ in legal trouble (including posting personal information) are not allowed in IDC.

Unfortunately, IDC got referred to as a “no man’s land” behind the scenes and there were different interpretations.

IDC is one of the many things we’re trying to nail down right now. No, that doesn’t mean we’re looking to ban you for spamming and trolling and the like, we’re just trying to figure out exactly what *does* apply – such as CP and personal info.

spacekadt

Avatar: 16186 2011-11-01 00:02:40 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Camwhore

meh

CrinkzPipe Posted:

Another quick question. Why the hell can we put NSFW tags in the contest threads and allow nudity, but can’t do it anywhere else?

Because we recognize that some contest on a site that revolves around trolling may (and should) allow for trolling/camwhoring/etc. There’s nopoint two having two forums to deal with the same thing, so this forum is considered a “hybrid” of sorts. By default, it’s CD – but the host of the contest has the option to allow RP.

Sergeant Cid

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

duca Posted:

Can you please address the specific situation that Crinkz referred to rather then just giving the same answer over and over again?

I thought I added some new stuff to that. I’ll try to be a little more specific.

I’ve tried tubmailing a mod two days ago about it and I got no answer. Can a person post personal information in IDC and get away with it or not? That’s not a minor infraction either. We’re talking PERMABAN here.

Posting another person’s personal information anywhere on the site, without their permission, is a bannable offense. It’s not an automatic permaban. It’s an ‘Insta-Ban’.

How can one mod think something is not a permaban offense and another think it is? This isn’t a grey area like shock, this one is black or white. Either it is or it isn’t.

Please TM MC Banhammer with the details, so that the Senior Mod has all the relevant information.

I think, however, that there has been some confusion about the difference between Insta-Ban & Perma-Ban. An Insta-Ban offense doesn’t necessarily result in a Perma-Ban. It’s called an Insta-Ban mainly because it’s a core rule. Note the new KB article, and how it refers to ‘Global Rules’. These are rules that apply no matter where on the site you are. And they are prety straight forward.

If we’re thinking of the same situation, then a mitigating factor could be whether or not the personal information has been volunteered before by that person. If I tell you, in IDC, publicly, regardless of how many people are actively chatting or visible, that I was born in Montana on July 4th, 1984, then if you later on share that information on FlameBate, then is it still ‘protected’ information? What if I regularly mention that I live in Helena, Montana. It’s still ‘personal information’, but is it still protected? Also, the rule refers specifically to ‘Full name, e-mail address, DOB, etc.’ What’s considered ‘etcetera’? State of residence? City of residence? ZIP code?

This is why some Mod discussions need to occur. This is why no set of rules will ever be 100% complete. And this is why there will always be some level of subjectivity.

But the current Mod discussions are taking this into account, both as individual rules & situations, and also how they interact globally. Just to give you an idea, there are over 30 individual topics and over 800 posts in the Mod Forum discussing all of these things, and more. And we’ve been prioritizing them to keep our discussions on track, and have a lot of irons in the forge. The first two ‘irons’ were the centralized rule page (which is actually very streamlined, if you haven’t looked at it, I encourage everyone to do so) and the change to the ‘posing as a perma-banned player’ offense.

And more are coming. In fact, based on this thread’s feedback, we’ve put a little more focus on addressing shock images and ban-length & protocol.

You are being heard. Just give us time to listen, and discuss amongst ourselves, and then make some decisions.

So, other than defining shock imagery more specifically, better regulation regarding ban-protocol and ban-length, what else is on your minds?

CoreyJess

Avatar: 2355 2015-02-10 15:56:06 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Pie cannot hide overwhelming naughtiness!

was Posted:

Thats ridiculous. Maybe you should suggest that bans for “shock” should have a 3 mod majority or something.

Why has no one addressed this. Was is absolutely right. I would argue that any mod who has been in service less than 6 months must have the agreement of a senior mod or admin before the ban is put into effect. This practice would not only keep a few of the new mods in better check than they have been, but also make it readily apparent to admins which mods are overstepping their bounds before it causes a community uproar.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!