Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Role Playing
Switch to Civil Discussion Role-Playing
Rant God, how could COLLEGE kids be so STUPID

OrsonScottCa-
rd

Avatar: 104768 2015-08-05 14:57:49 -0400

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

Why do I keep coming back here

Drunkenlazybastard Posted:

w/e, anything is possible within the shadows between the Pattern and the Logrus

Something about this cover reminded me of a brilliant semi-SF series we missed: King’s Dark Tower cycle.

Drunkenlazyb-
astard

Avatar: 10017 Sun Nov 02 12:21:15 -0500 2008

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Troll

STUPID WANNABE INTERNET CELEBRITY, BTW ED ****ING SUCKS AND I SHOULD DIE

OrsonScottCard Posted:

Something about this cover reminded me of a brilliant semi-SF series we missed: King’s Dark Tower cycle.

the dark tower was only good if you had read most of his other books which had a little bit of context here and there in them. especially: the talisman, hearts in atlantis , the black house, the stand, storm of the century, The Eyes of the Dragon, and needful things.

they all had little bits and pieces of the Dark Tower story and the Crimson King in them. the most important ones being The Talisman, hearts in atlantis, The Eyes of the Dragon and the black house. his short story books “salems lot” and “the night shift” (maybe graveyard shift) had some in it as well if I recall.

epic story never the less imo.

Drunkenlazybastard edited this message on 03/05/2009 4:52AM

Wylin

Avatar: 19712 Thu Mar 26 21:15:20 -0400 2009

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Causing Jealousy On The Internet On A Daily Basis.

the dark tower was only good if you had read most of his other books which had a little bit of context here and there in them. especially: the talisman, hearts in atlantis , the black house, the stand, storm of the century, The Eyes of the Dragon, and needful things.

they all had little bits and pieces of the Dark Tower story in them. the most important ones being The Talisman, hearts in atlantis, The Eyes of the Dragon and the black house.

epic story never the less imo.

If I read the dark tower series before all those, do you suggest reading them still?

Drunkenlazyb-
astard

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Troll

Wylin Posted:

If I read the dark tower series before all those, do you suggest reading them still?

talisman, black house and hearts in atlantis for sure, they build up to the dark tower series.

talisman and black house are parts 1 and 2 respectively of their own little story arc that deal directly with later stuff. hearts in atlantis is several stories, most of which deal with the dark tower.

aside from the dark tower series talisman and black house are my favorite stephen king books. then again they are more fantasy/horror than straight up horror

OrsonScottCa-
rd

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

talisman, black house and hearts in atlantis for sure, they build up to the dark tower series.

talisman and black house are parts 1 and 2 respectively of their own little story arc that deal directly with later stuff. hearts in atlantis is several stories, most of which deal with the dark tower.

aside from the dark tower series talisman and black house are my favorite stephen king books. then again they are more fantasy/horror than straight up horror

I’m not a big King fan, but I loved the Dark Tower. I didn’t really enjoy any of his work until after I’d read them. To me, there was something compelling about Roland in a way that was Lovecraftian instead of feeling like Lovecraft Light.

Wylin

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

I can’t really say I’d think the dark tower would fit in the “future societies” clbum like those movies I posted earlier would. But, since we’re already way off topic I just read Stephen Kings “Duma Key” and thought it was cool that my hometown of Eau Claire, WI was mentioned in the book. I do generally read more fantasy fiction books though. Just finished another Anne Mccaffrey book about Pern(Which actually fits in the topic since they went to Pern to colonize it and create a new settlement originally, before there were dragons.) I’m currently reading Patrick Rothfuss’ “The Name of the Wind” which I’m enjoying.

Drunkenlazyb-
astard

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Troll

OrsonScottCard Posted:

I’m not a big King fan, but I loved the Dark Tower. I didn’t really enjoy any of his work until after I’d read them. To me, there was something compelling about Roland in a way that was Lovecraftian instead of feeling like Lovecraft Light.

The talisman and the black house I would highly recommend. it had the same vibe as roland. i dunno

usually I would never suggest any *chan related material, but bookchan kicks bum with lots of full scanned books for download.

http://www.anonib.com/bookchan/

see what you can see.

Drunkenlazyb-
astard

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Troll

Wylin Posted:

I can’t really say I’d think the dark tower would fit in the “future societies” clbum like those movies I posted earlier would. But, since we’re already way off topic I just read Stephen Kings “Duma Key” and thought it was cool that my hometown of Eau Claire, WI was mentioned in the book. I do generally read more fantasy fiction books though. Just finished another Anne Mccaffrey book about Pern(Which actually fits in the topic since they went to Pern to colonize it and create a new settlement originally, before there were dragons.) I’m currently reading Patrick Rothfuss’ “The Name of the Wind” which I’m enjoying.

yea, I wouldn’t clbumify it as future societies. although it may technically fit through some alternate reality clause and the interaction between one state of being and another parallel one Log in to see images!

OrsonScottCa-
rd

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

Wylin Posted:

I can’t really say I’d think the dark tower would fit in the “future societies” clbum like those movies I posted earlier would.

Are you kidding? The entire premise of Mid-World was a post-apocalyptic wasteland. It’s no different from Mad Max in that regard, even down to the war over little bits of gasoline.

Drunkenlazyb-
astard

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Troll

Wylin

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

OrsonScottCard Posted:

Are you kidding? The entire premise of Mid-World was a post-apocalyptic wasteland. It’s no different from Mad Max in that regard, even down to the war over little bits of gasoline.

Your points are valid, but traveling into the past and present and future might be a little out of his clbum’ scope.

OrsonScottCa-
rd

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

Wylin Posted:

Your points are valid, but traveling into the past and present and future might be a little out of his clbum’ scope.

I really only cared about the Mid-World side of the story anyway. I’ve blocked out most of the rest.

Drunkenlazyb-
astard

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Troll

OrsonScottCard Posted:

I really only cared about the Mid-World side of the story anyway. I’ve blocked out most of the rest.

I’m really surprised you haven’t read the talisman then. the majority of the story is set in midworld.

NotJoePesci

Avatar: 6966 Sat Feb 21 00:54:31 -0500 2009

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 14 Troll

Best ethnic friend a guy could have! Also Im not racist. -Raepdog

Oh ****. How did I forget to mention The Six-String Samurai?

Colonel Bear

Avatar: 68748 Mon May 18 15:38:07 -0400 2009

[Very Busy Klan]

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Doctor Who

Good future episodes

New Earth

Gridlock

Thats all I can currently think of

PhineasPoe

Avatar: 12179 2010-01-24 16:27:57 -0500

[70 Character Story-
tellers
]

Level 35 Troll

You got a smudge there Phin... oh wait thats Trouts feces

Most people’s Stephen King suggestions are really good. King has gotten a little bit of a bad name, but the man has written some really good stuff. Especially Dark Tower and The Stand.

Also, Xylon mentioned Harrison Bergeron one of the best short stories ever written. I just want to say if you do read H.B. and like it DO NOT seek out the made-for-Cinemax movie. I want to kill the people who made that.

I never finished it, but the first section of Canticle for Leibowitz is pretty good post-apocalyptic fiction.

Robert Frost molested me when he stopped by my bumhole on a snowy evening.

Wylin

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

http://www.anonib.com/bookchan/index.php?t=25Log in to see images!ss=0

btw: every stephen king book worth reading here for download.

standard conversion of a .jpg into a .rar then extraction

aka: click and save as on the .jpgs dumbbum. it’s a whole book.

I took a look at this and it’s pretty nice, thanks. Is there any way to search for an author besides paging through the 30 pages and looking to see if they have anything?

I also don’t know if I’ll be able to focus on my screen to read the same way I do a book, but I’ll give it a shot some time.

Skyman747

Avatar: 115546 2015-08-12 18:58:09 -0400

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

DIRTY ****ING fine upstanding member of society woman's genitals

Dysnomia Posted:

I wish MercWithMouth was permabanned

I wish everyone in WeChall was permabanned

I wish Skyman747 was permabanned

-=Dysnomia=-

Colonel Bear

Avatar: 68748 Mon May 18 15:38:07 -0400 2009

[Very Busy Klan]

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Just for lulz

But any Doctor Who set in the future is great

Luchesi

Avatar: 92015 Sat Jan 24 00:21:13 -0500 2009

[Arse Ticklers fabulous persons Fanclub]

Level 35 Camwhore

“Like a Virgin”

I didn’t see the Foundation series mentioned.

The Thing is a p great movie, get it and see it. Smartest horror movie I’ve seen.

Of COURSE get Alien and Aliens (and stop there). Starship Troopers. Robocop. Twelve Monkeys. I’m a HUGE fan of that whole era of decadent ‘80s science fiction. Love the king of trash directors, Paul Verhoven.

Signing Dan Simmons, he’s p awesome, read Ilium and Olympos, smart as hell and funny, also signing Frank Herbert (dune).

That’ll do for now, can’t think of too many who haven’t been mentioned. Oh, wait, who’s the writer who wrote Half Life? He’s probably p good for scifi. Marc Laidlaw, that’s him.

Oh, and here’s one you can watch right now, the strange, wonderful, hilarious Russian Sci-fi masterwork Kin Dza Dza: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2251461878127683608

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!