Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Art D&D Interest Check

Sabre_Justice

[the abyss]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

UncleAstley Posted:

Sabre_Justice Posted:

Crud, I’m only familiar with 3.5. Is there a significant difference?

If it’s cool, I’ll be happy to bust out my human Paladin, and raise him a few levels if necessary.

He got thrown in prison for asking too many questions.

If he isn’t eligible, I can always bust out my half-dragon/quarter human/quarter T-rex creation…

Not significantly, as far as I’m aware. Some minor changes like Pick Pocket got changed into Sleight of Hand, Wilderness Lore got scraped etc etc, but the majority of changes were in spells. The latter is my main motivation for not switching to 3.5, really: something about the spells don’t sit right with me for some arcane reason.

With regards to the Paladin, we’ll be running an evil game here, so it’ll probably be Log in to see images! as far as your character is going to be concerned. And that I’ll rather not have. Still, if you like, roll up a new character and you can hop on this happy loveboat.

EDIT: Hah, in before edit. Log in to see images!

Hehe, I noticed. Yeah, I’ll try and roll up a neutral or evil character. This should be fun…

Still probably a fighter. Rogues are a bit cliche and spellcraft is something I may as well stay away from anyway.

Seerow

[Elitist Superstruc-
ture
]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Word to the wise: Melee types in 3.0/3.5 suck seriously. If the game is combat oriented at all, and being run higher than say… 5th level, pick something else.

eponymous_en-
nui

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Seerow Posted:

Word to the wise: Melee types in 3.0/3.5 suck seriously. If the game is combat oriented at all, and being run higher than say… 5th level, pick something else.

First person to pick fighter gets to kill a clone of Seerow.

Seerow

[Elitist Superstruc-
ture
]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

eponymous_ennui Posted:

Seerow Posted:

First person to pick fighter gets to kill a clone of Seerow.

Only so long as I get to make my own character and play it.

TPK ahoy!

Sabre_Justice

[the abyss]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

...what? You mind explaining things in baby terms to the clueless?

Night Gaunt

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

I’ve decided on a necromancer wizard with a rat familiar. Log in to see images!

eponymous_en-
nui

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Sabre_Justice Posted:

Nothing much to worry about. Suffice to say that, if you do pick fighter as your primary clbum, you will get to challenge Seerow mano-a-mano in single combat. Log in to see images!

Night Gaunt Posted:

I’ve decided on a necromancer wizard with a rat familiar. Log in to see images!

No complaints so far. Log in to see images!

Seerow

[Elitist Superstruc-
ture
]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

eponymous_ennui Posted:

Sabre_Justice Posted:

Nothing much to worry about. Suffice to say that, if you do pick fighter as your primary clbum, you will get to challenge Seerow mano-a-mano in single combat. Log in to see images!

GM hax Log in to see images!

Also it’s not just the Fighter that sucks. Also the Paladin, Ranger, and Barbarian. Though you can make an argument for the Ranger if you play 3.5 and have access to a few splatbooks (or even just the Spell Compendium and… I think Complete Warrior. Though throwing Tome of Battle into the mix makes things more fun).

But seriously, in 3rd edition melee clbumes suck because in general they get no useful or interesting abilities. For the most part you are restricted in choice to “Which person do I want to hit” and “How much power attack do I want to use”

Forum Warz recognizes this problem, the recharge time for different attacks isn’t just a balancing feature, it gives everyone a different play-style, different options to use in combat, which is something that melee characters just have.

I mean seriously, when you consider I could have a Cleric that is just as good a fighter as your typical fighter in a 4 encounter per day setting (the standard the game is built upon) or all day with splat books, and still have spells left over that give him different options in combat and healing potential… why would you play a Fighter?

Also: One of the main things that happened in 3.5 was the nerfing of a lot of spells. Since your primary reason for playing 3.0 rather than 3.5 was not liking the spell changes, I don’t see how your game would encourage the playing of melee clbumes any more than anything else, except by bending the rules or skewing encounters specifically to favor them (ie long strings of encounters, usually with lots of weak minions clustered together, and uber items of doom+5 etc)

eponymous_en-
nui

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Seerow Posted:

eponymous_ennui Posted:

Sabre_Justice Posted:

GM hax Log in to see images!

Yes.

Sabre_Justice

[the abyss]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

...well, that sucks. Is the game really that broken? Eh well, it’s a roleplaying game, not a competitive one.

I’ll still pick Fighter just for the hell of it. Human, probably. I’m lazy.

eponymous_en-
nui

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Sabre_Justice Posted:

...well, that sucks. Is the game really that broken? Eh well, it’s a roleplaying game, not a competitive one.

I’ll still pick Fighter just for the hell of it. Human, probably. I’m lazy.

No need to worry, a play-by-post game is usually lighter on combat than normal. Since it’s going to be an absolute pain in the bum to resolve tactical combat, even gutting a goblin would be a descriptive process as opposed to “I role diplomacey 2 hit trol”. In my opinion, play-by-post games should have as their main emphasises character development and an interesting story.

Will be posting up something about The City soon, look out for it!

(P.S. Seerow dies. Log in to see images!

Sabre_Justice

[the abyss]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Sweet. And if we’re actually using character development… I’ll think of something that doesn’t involve the dragon/t-rex/human or a kobold wizard, unless you think that’s a good idea.

Sabre_Justice edited this message on 11/09/2007 5:34AM

Seerow

[Elitist Superstruc-
ture
]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

kobold wizard? Are you bringing some pun-pun into this campaign?

Sabre_Justice

[the abyss]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

I have no idea what that is. I just created a kobold wizard as the sidekick of my dragon/t-rex brute, both being statistically improbable misfits.

Eh, probably gonna stick to a versatile fighter.

eponymous_en-
nui

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

The City

”What do you mean, ‘which city?’ There’s only one.” -Captain Vitruvius, Vermillion City Guard

The City is huge.

Most men of the City live and die within these grey stone walls, their whole lives never knowing the feel of a summer’s breeze against their face, or the freedom of the rain falling on the Great Plains. For him, sunset is invariably heralded by the ringing in of the Curfew, when the guards close the city doors; moonrise with the ringing in of the First Watch, after which any man, woman or child found outside his or her house would be subject to martial law.

The City has no name. Oh, it had a name once, but it was consumed by Plinius the Elder during the Dragon Wars, along with most of its history. It is as varied as it is large, and some say that not all of the City’s twisting streets exist fully in this world. Walk far enough down the alley between the King’s Way and Cacelli’s Avenue, they say, and you may walk right out of this plane. But drunk men say many things, of course, and not all of them false.

The City is alive. It learns, it sleeps, it dreams. It is worshipped by beggars and madmen, by the forgotten and the abandoned. Its flesh is granite, its blood gold, its heartbeat etched on girdled stone. Books can be burnt, names can be sold, men can forget- but stone never lies. The City never forgets.

Architecture

”De minimis non curat praetor.” -Anonymous graffiti on Heironeous Temple wall

The City was originally made up of three towns, each seperated a fair distance from each other. Over the course of centuries, as each town expanded and developed, they eventually met and merged into one another. Today, nobody remembers anything about the original towns, save for the fact that they used to exist.

Most of the city’s housing and store districts are utilitarian in design, made up of rows upon rows of two-storied concrete buildings. In the more affluent sectors, granite or blue basalt tends to be used instead and may even reach three or four storeys. The temples, however, display a wide variety of styles depending on the gods being worshipped; from Heironeous’ romanesque fortresses to Boccob’s doric columnades and Wee Jas’ gothic cathedrals.

Nobility tend to live within the Castle, a sprawling gothic castle complex in the eastern sector of the City. Originally the centre for one of the three founding towns, the Palace grew as the town did, with new wings and courtyards constantly being added to the original building. For this reason, no complete map or blueprint of the Castle exists, only that of individual wings and sections. Artisans and masons came and go so often in the Castle that they eventually established a small village within the Castle grounds itself for these workmen; subsequently, there is almost always some work to be done in the Palace, be it maintenance, repairs or the addition of yet another wing.

Transportation

”Ne’r trusted ‘em Circles. ‘eard too many stories ‘bout ‘em, ‘bout them that went in and ne’er came out the other side. In me ‘ine of work, when yer ne’r knows what yer be carrying, I ain’t takin’ no chances. Giv’ me a ‘orse and I’ll cross this ‘ere City for yer anyday in a week, tops.” -Trecoll Lightfoot, halfling courier

Due to the size of the City, the 93rd Mage Council had made it mandatory for permanent Teleport Circles to be installed every mile out from St. Cuthbert’s Square, the arbitarily-declared centre of the City as far as anyone can make out. “All Ways lead to St. Cuthbert’s,” as a street saying goes, “and St. Cuthbert’s leads everywhere else.”

Designated as Waycircles, each Teleport Circle is designed to teleport anyone who steps onto it to a fixed location known as a Waystation. Waystations serve as a particular district’s interchange by not only housing all of the district’s Waycircles, but also holds a collection of Teleport Circles that lead to other Waystations in other nearby districts. By changing from Waystation to Waystation in this fashion, a savvy traveller may cross the City in less than an hour.

Unsurprisingly, Waystations have developed into bustling centres of trade and commerce, each offering a wide range of services; in many of the larger Waystations- notably Baymont Courts, the Fieldwick Circle and Kord’s Crossing- the faithful of Fharlanghn have even set up shrines that the devout traveller may pray at for a safe trip.

To use any Waycircle, the traveller must have a valid trigger item on his body or the circle will simply not activate. This usually takes the form of an amulet costing 50gp, valid for a calendar year (not from time of purchase), and can be purchased at St. Cuthbert’s.

Conventional Travel

”St. Cuthbert’s leads everywhere else except where you want to be.” -Folk saying

The Waycircles have been in use for over 60 years, with less than 20 reported deaths in that whole time period as a direct result from circle-use. However, there are still many who are fearful of the Waycircles and would rather travel in a more conventional fashion. For these people, horses are still the preferred mode of transportation, and many taverns are situated at strategic points along the main roads to cater to these people.

The nobility and their entourage, when they ever have reason to leave the Castle, travel exclusively by horse-drawn carriages. They see the use of Waycircles as not only dangerous, but also vulgar. However, because nobles rarely have cause to leave the Castle grounds, any sighting of a noble is rare enough to warrant entire sections of the City holding celebrations centred around such events.

To navigate around the City by foot or on horseback for any extended period of time is an especially daunting task. To plot a course to any place outside the immediate district requires a map and a successful Knowledge (Local) or Intuit Direction roll at DC 5, +5 per district pbuming through, +7 per district if you’re trying to avoid the main roads. Each district takes approximately a day on foot and half a day on horseback, though some (such as St. Cuthbert’s Square and Baymont Courts) are notably larger.

eponymous_ennui edited this message on 11/10/2007 8:25AM

eponymous_en-
nui

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Taking a page from the Book of Vile Darkness, the following character traits may be taken by any character at absolutely no cost. Just take note, though, if your character isn’t already evil, having any one of these traits will more than likely push you over the edge.

Masochism: +4 cirgreat timesstance bonus on saving throws vs. pain effects. For every round in which you take damage equal to your character level, you gain a +1 cirgreat timesstance bonus on all attack/damage rolls, skill checks and saving throws in the next round.

Self-Mutilation: begins the day by dealing 1d3×10% damage to self. +4 cirgreat timesstance bonus on saving throws vs. pain effects. Option of secreting small item in sub-dermal pouch. Option of taking -10 maximum HP permanently to gain +1 natural armour bonus from scars and scabs.

Sadism: foes gain +1 cirgreat timesstance bonus on Intimidate when threatening Sadists with pain unless character is also a Masochist. For every round in which you deal damage equal to your character level, you gain a +1 cirgreat timesstance bonus on all attack/damage rolls, skill checks and saving throws in the next round.

In addition, all characters native to the City receive Knowledge (Local- City) as a clbum skill and gets 1 free skill rank in it. For characters who come from outside the City, you get the same deal for your hometown.

eponymous_ennui edited this message on 11/11/2007 8:52AM

eponymous_en-
nui

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

New gods you may worship from the Book of Vile Darkness in addition to those you find in the PHB. If any of them catches your eye, you may look it up in the Book of Vile Darkness or simply Tubmail me for more information.

Karaan, the Beast God: Chaotic Evil. Personifies the dark side of Nature, enemy of Obad-Hai and Ehlonna. Often worshipped alongside Erythnul. Symbols are gnawed, broken bones and bloodied teeth. Favoured weapon is natural or greatclub. Domains are Chaos, Destruction and Bestial.

Rallaster, the Razor God: Chaotic Evil. God of murder, torture and psychotic behaviour. Often pictured as a tall, glistening ebony-skinned humanoid made entirely of razors dripping with blood and oil. Symbol is a toothy mouth clamped down on a blood, razor-thin blade. Favoured weapon is short sword. Domains are Evil, Destruction and Pain.

The Patient One: Neutral Evil. Strange, Cthuluian alien entity depicted as having many eyes, mouths and clawed arms around a bulbous body. Symbol is a mouth surrounded by eyes done in dark colours. Favoured weapon is flail. Domains are Evil, Darkness and Corruption.

Scahrossar, the Mistress of Exquisite Pain: Lawful Evil. The name, I’ll think, says it all. Scahrossar is the sister to Olidammara, but they have nothing to do with each other. Favoured weapon is the whip. Domains are Evil, Pain and Death.

Xammux: Neutral Evil. Consists of at least six separate minds and personalities; personification of cold analytical thinking taken to the extreme. Patron to the indifferent pursuit of forbidden knowledge. Symbol is a pair of razor-sharp steel calipers. Favoured weapon is the short sword. Domains are Evil, Knowledge and Darkness.

Yeathan, the Deep Darkness: Neutral Evil. God of the depths of the sea where no man has been, mostly worshipped only by sahuagin, kuo-toas and aboleths. Largely unknown amongst surface dwellers. Favoured weapon is the trident. Domains are Evil, Destruction and Water.

And one of my own creation:

Uindar, Goddess of Suicides: Lawful Evil. When Wee Jas was formed from the shapeless void and chaos at the beginning of time, there was another that too was shaped: a stillborn twin that even the Ruby Goddess herself is unaware of. Uindar is that twin. Strangled in the womb by her own umbilical cord, Uindar (pronounced unn-dar) is the goddess of suicide and vengeance. Unsurprisingly, her worshippers are few and far between, considering how most of them are suicidal. Uindar is mostly worshipped by those who have sworn blood oaths to fulfil: in return for the goddess’ blessing and aid, when their oath is complete they will sacrifice themselves to the goddess ritually.

As a curious side-effect, Uindar’s clerics are invisible to all scrying attempts by the faithful of Wee Jas. For some reason, Wee Jas is either unwilling or unable to perceive the existence of her dark twin. Uindar’s favoured weapon is the dagger, and her domains are Pain, Death and Luck.

Seerow

[Elitist Superstruc-
ture
]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Sabre_Justice Posted:

I have no idea what that is. I just created a kobold wizard as the sidekick of my dragon/t-rex brute, both being statistically improbable misfits.

Pun-Pun,the most powerful character EVER. A level 5 kobold Wizard.

Seerow edited this message on 11/10/2007 2:45PM

Night Gaunt

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Seerow Posted:

Sabre_Justice Posted:

Changing my wizard character to be the squirrel demigod listed on that page. Log in to see images!

Serious reply: I like the town set up and I’m thinking Xammux would be a good deity for my wizard.

Sabre_Justice

[the abyss]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Seerow Posted:

Sabre_Justice Posted:

LAWL.

Hehehe, just as well I still go by that this is a role-playing game, not a competition.

Anyway, a character is beginning to form in my head… a mercantile soldier, Neutral in alignment (I expect it to change to Neutral Evil at some point), not picky about what keeps him alive and brings in money. As for weapons, I’m thinking a halberd and sword of some sort…

Should I keep the rest of the character rambling to myself? Just I could use some suggestions.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!