Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Art D&D Interest Check

eponymous_en-
nui

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Any resemblance to this thread is purely a matter of coincidence, I bumure you.

But seriously, anyone interested in a game of forum D&D? I’m thinking 3.0, core books only, but if you really, really want stuff from the splats, just run it by me.

Characters start at level 4, come up with your own history that eventually ends up with you being thrown in the dungeon. I’m going with the story that I came up with in the quoted thread because, hey, why the hell not? Beats a tavern anyway, as far as I’m concerned.

The young king, much beloved by the people of his kingdom, has just been married. Charmed by a strange, beautiful elven girl that has just appeared from nowhere and stolen his heart, the wedding ceremony was as grand as it was to be expected, and the king seemed happy. But as time went by, the kingdom began to fall into disrepair: the king was ill and getting worse as time went by, taking to his bedchambers more often and leaving his trusted queen to run things in his absence. For the first time in history, there is talk of revolution in the streets.

The general populace are resentful of the “witch queen”, with the common rumour that she was feeding the king a subtle poison so that she may rule in his stead. While she has only ruled for a month, dissent in both the court and the streets has grown so strong that a military curfew has been imposed on the otherwise quiet city. No citizen is allowed to wander the streets past moon up, and the gates are sealed at sun down.

Any interest? Post up your characters here if you are. I’m torn between running the game here or running the game in the RP forum: the latter calls to me, if for nothing but the absolute meta Log in to see images! it will create. But this forum would allow for a more serious role-playing game that will also (with luck) avoid the trolls.

EDIT: For typos and adding of splats.

eponymous_ennui edited this message on 11/12/2007 11:11AM

Dinictus

[the abyss]

Level 22 Emo Kid

“Bleeding Heart”

It’d really be meta if it could actually work in Roleplaying Geniuses, but that’s too much to ask for, I’m sure.

I’ll try to get a character proper up before the end of this weekend. I’ll just have to read up on the differences in 3.0, though, but I could probably make a good Barbarian or Monk.

So character creation: point-buy, I take it? How many points?

eponymous_en-
nui

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Dinictus Posted:

It’d really be meta if it could actually work in Roleplaying Geniuses, but that’s too much to ask for, I’m sure.

I’ll try to get a character proper up before the end of this weekend. I’ll just have to read up on the differences in 3.0, though, but I could probably make a good Barbarian or Monk.

So character creation: point-buy, I take it? How many points?

Ah ****, I forgot about that. Log in to see images!

You can either do a 32 point-buy system as per the DMG or take the following stats as it stands: 16 14 14 12 12 10, arrange as you desire. Either way, stats may not exceed 18 after racial modifier at level 1, but may after factoring in the +1 at level 3.

For convenience’s sake: 8=0 Log in to see images! 18=16

Woo, numbers. Log in to see images!

Anyway, I’m toying with the idea of running an evil campaign. The last one I played one was years ago, but it was pretty good fun as I recall it. Anyone up for it? I still have my notes on that campaign somewhere, I’m sure. I’m not talking about the “ME EVIL KILLZ J00 N EVERYONE ELZE” type of evil, but more of the “me and my band of evil-doers will take over the world, one city at a time… MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!” type. It’s up to you guys, though, I’m fine whichever way this swings.

genericangst-
yposter

[the abyss]

Level 9 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

When I play evil characters, I tend to enjoy the “Oh, wow, he seems nice,” type of guy or the “haha- look at the eccentric, isn’t he swell?” I love subtle, selfish evil. I enjoy well thought out evil. In other words, if I played an evil character, chances are they wouldn’t just go burn a village or something. But I’m all up for D+D in any case, no matter what alignment or whatever.

I enjoy playing rogues, fighting types (esp. rangers), and clerics (of more militant faiths). I’m not terribly experienced at playing on forums, as I’m more of a tabletop guy, but if I make any mistakes you can all just let me know.

EDIT: Also, is this us playing D+D, or is it our characters playing D+D? We’d do very different things.

genericangstyposter edited this message on 11/07/2007 11:28AM

eponymous_en-
nui

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

genericangstyposter Posted:

When I play evil characters, I tend to enjoy the “Oh, wow, he seems nice,” type of guy or the “haha- look at the eccentric, isn’t he swell?” I love subtle, selfish evil. I enjoy well thought out evil. In other words, if I played an evil character, chances are they wouldn’t just go burn a village or something. But I’m all up for D+D in any case, no matter what alignment or whatever.

I enjoy playing rogues, fighting types (esp. rangers), and clerics (of more militant faiths). I’m not terribly experienced at playing on forums, as I’m more of a tabletop guy, but if I make any mistakes you can all just let me know.

I’m not terribly experienced at running a forum game either, so if I make any mistakes be sure to tell me, all ye more experienced nerds. We’ll probably need to establish some posting conventions, like for instance OOC chat and rolls must be in italics while something or another should be in bold. But more on that in the future, once the game gets off.

I like that sort of evil characters. Log in to see images!

EDIT: Also, is this us playing D+D, or is it our characters playing D+D? We’d do very different things.

Good question. That would depend on where we’re going to play the game, of course. In the RP forum it would be our characters (lol emo party), but here it’ll just be plain ol’ us playing it. Cast ye vote! This be a democracy we’re running here!

genericangst-
yposter

[the abyss]

Level 9 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

We could do both. For the actual forums, we wouldn’t need to do any preparations. Since I’m the lone troll (I think? I mean, genericangstyposter is more like a weird troll/nerd/emo multiclbum [nerd is a prestige clbum :-O]) I’d be a munchkin, or something.

Since you’re the DM, it’d probably be Ravenloft or something. :-P

We seriously wouldn’t even need to roll characters for that, nor would we need a coherent plot. Our character sheets would be pretty much all 18s, unless someone wants to parody a “real roleplayer.”

genericangstyposter edited this message on 11/07/2007 11:52AM

Night Gaunt

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

UncleAstley Posted:

Good question. That would depend on where we’re going to play the game, of course. In the RP forum it would be our characters (lol emo party), but here it’ll just be plain ol’ us playing it. Cast ye vote! This be a democracy we’re running here!

I’m definitely up for a game. I’ve never played online either. I vote to just play as ourselves because I think it’d be best to do one game “normally” so we can get accustomed to playing on a forum.

Dinictus

[the abyss]

Level 22 Emo Kid

“Bleeding Heart”

UncleAstley Posted:

Anyway, I’m toying with the idea of running an evil campaign. The last one I played one was years ago, but it was pretty good fun as I recall it. Anyone up for it? I still have my notes on that campaign somewhere, I’m sure. I’m not talking about the “ME EVIL KILLZ J00 N EVERYONE ELZE” type of evil, but more of the “me and my band of evil-doers will take over the world, one city at a time… MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!” type. It’s up to you guys, though, I’m fine whichever way this swings.

I’m all for a subtle bit of evil. Or just freelancing mercenaries with little to no morals. I just with someone in TG’d run an aerial campaign or somesuch, but I doubt a play-by-post game would do well with a third dimension added in for movement. Lovely setting options, otherwise, though.

But yeah, characters. I’m already playing an Emo-Troll, no need to stat that out and go ‘haha, go die in a fire while I throttle myself’ Log in to see images!

eponymous_en-
nui

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Looks like it’s settled, then. We’ll work on a “normal” game in this here forum. I’ll like to get a four man party started out here, so if the three of you guys are already up for it post up any ideas about your characters that you may already have. For instance, clbum/race choice, sterotypical role in the party etc etc. Anything that you think the other party members would like to know when designing their own characters.

Since no one vehemently objects to it being an evil campaign, as it was written, so shall it be. Alignment choices of LG, CG and NG are now closed to applicants; those already in the queue, please take a new number and rejoin the appropriate queue. However, as mentioned earlier, try to make your evil a little more subtle and intelligent: while I have no problems with a CE Barbarian, I’ll like the party to get along with (not to mention survive) said barbarian before he flips the **** out and kills a party member.

Remember, creative license with the character history, but you’ll all end up in jail. Log in to see images!

EDIT: Fixed minor typos.

eponymous_ennui edited this message on 11/07/2007 12:40PM

genericangst-
yposter

[the abyss]

Level 9 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

I’ll be a rogue.

Hey, someone’s got to be the party ****! :-P

Thinking up details/creating character as of… NOW!

eponymous_en-
nui

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

I’ll be a rogue.

Hey, someone’s got to be the party ****! :-P

Thinking up details/creating character as of… NOW!

Gee, I wonder what could make a rogue end up in prison… Log in to see images!

As an aside, guys, don’t be afraid to come up with interesting crimes for your characters to commit. Your dark, heinous sins can range from something as petty as Grand Theft Carriage to something as steeped in intrigue as “plot to murder the Queen with a shuriken carved out of the heart of a carrot”. Well, maybe not so on the latter, but you get the idea. Just be prepared for the consequences if your notoriety is particularly well-known in the city: for the most part, the campaign will be set in the city.

genericangst-
yposter

[the abyss]

Level 9 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

Oh, don’t worry. My crime will be appropriately rogue-ish, but it won’t be theft. I’m not that cheap.

Night Gaunt

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

I’m leaning towards a sorcerer because it’d be fun to threaten to set people on fire with my mind. I need to flip through the rulebook again to refresh what all the clbumes are though.

genericangst-
yposter

[the abyss]

Level 9 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

Oh, I forgot: Is this Forgotten Realms? Greyhawk? Ravenloft? Whatever? The reason I’m asking is because I usually like to choose a deity.

eponymous_en-
nui

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Oh, I forgot: Is this Forgotten Realms? Greyhawk? Ravenloft? Whatever? The reason I’m asking is because I usually like to choose a deity.

Good one, thanks for bringing that up. Greyhawkian deities (i.e. those from the PHB) all around for everyone. Even if you’re not a cleric, you can still have an intimate connection with a god! Log in to see images!

As for the setting per se, there’s nothing really definite. I’ll be using a custom world that I’ll make up as we go along: no point in having a scorching desert to the west when I could just as well make that a freezing tundra with a razor wind cutting through the ice. Timeline is definitely clbumic D&D medieval, though.

EDIT: Night Gaunt, check your friends list/Klan invite please. Log in to see images! eponymous_ennui edited this message on 11/07/2007 1:38PM

genericangst-
yposter

[the abyss]

Level 9 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

Forgive me for the constant interjections, but I’ll also bumume that “in prison” means “no gear and no gold.”

genericangstyposter edited this message on 11/07/2007 2:27PM

eponymous_en-
nui

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Forgive me for the constant interjections, but I’ll also bumume that “in prison” means “no gear and no gold.”

“In prison” means “gear conveniently located in the Evidence Room save what you could secret out with you before they searched and disarmed you”. Let’s just say that as a rogue, I hope you took a couple of ranks in Pickpocket and Pick Lock.

Seerow

[Elitist Superstruc-
ture
]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Ew. 3.0, no splats, and forum based?

I’ll pbum.

Sabre_Justice

[the abyss]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Crud, I’m only familiar with 3.5. Is there a significant difference?

OK, I’ve read the campaign a bit more clearly and now I know I’m gonna be the newbie of the group. Any neutral or evil alignment right?

I’ll see what I can come up with. Probably play a Fighter, magic is a bit beyond me at the moment.

Sabre_Justice edited this message on 11/08/2007 3:43AM

eponymous_en-
nui

[the abyss]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Sabre_Justice Posted:

Crud, I’m only familiar with 3.5. Is there a significant difference?

If it’s cool, I’ll be happy to bust out my human Paladin, and raise him a few levels if necessary.

He got thrown in prison for asking too many questions.

If he isn’t eligible, I can always bust out my half-dragon/quarter human/quarter T-rex creation…

Not significantly, as far as I’m aware. Some minor changes like Pick Pocket got changed into Sleight of Hand, Wilderness Lore got scraped etc etc, but the majority of changes were in spells. The latter is my main motivation for not switching to 3.5, really: something about the spells don’t sit right with me for some arcane reason.

With regards to the Paladin, we’ll be running an evil game here, so it’ll probably be Log in to see images! as far as your character is going to be concerned. And that I’ll rather not have. Still, if you like, roll up a new character and you can hop on this happy loveboat.

EDIT: Hah, in before edit. Log in to see images! eponymous_ennui edited this message on 11/08/2007 3:47AM

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!