Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Interface How can we encourage players to participate in Flamebate?

Bigguyinblack

[Mock TSB]

Level 10 Troll

i'm so lonely... i have no friends... plz help...

There are thousands of players who have never posted in the Flamebate and they can’t all be alts.

How can we encourage the wallflowers to participate?

Vuron

Avatar: 4928 2011-07-31 00:39:10 -0400

[Team Shortbus]

Level 40 Emo Kid

Vile serpent! I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

I’m going to treat this like a serious question since it’s in Game Discussions

Basically you need to convince people that the flamebate community adds something to the rest of the gaming experience. I venture that the vast majority of people come and pwn forums and only really check flamebate and the wiki when they are stuck and need help.

Further I would venture a guess that most of the people in flamebate already have a Bulletin Board they already visit for most of their other interests.

In order to grow Flamebate you need to either expand the focus or really make using it more interesting for the casual forumwarz fan.

Lord enjoy

[eat dinner with me-
tanawat
]

Level 10 Camwhore

Knights of LOL Official Ball Hanger

Make great threads. That’s how.

Hint: this is not a great thread.

BirdofPrey

Avatar: 2037 Sun May 10 02:46:48 -0400 2009

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

I lick her up afterwards (After her great times session too! Yum!)

Bigguyinblack Posted:

There are thousands of players who have never posted in the Flamebate and they can’t all be alts.

How can we encourage the wallflowers to participate?

Trust me man, we’d be much better off with most people not participating. In fact i think a more important question is, how do we encourage certain people to leave flamebate and never return?

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Vuron Posted:

I venture that the vast majority of people come and pwn forums and only really check flamebate and the wiki when they are stuck and need help.

And that’s why trolling isn’t allowed in Game Discussion.

Natalie Petr-
ov

Avatar: 30861 2010-01-24 16:36:34 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 69 Camwhore

Queen of Hats and enjoy

While it may not be Flamebate-specific, klan SRSLY is trying to get more people actively involved in the RP-side of things (because we’re fabulous persongy fabulous persons, yes, we know) via contests for BPs. *shrug* I don’t know if it’ll have any long-term benefit, though, particularly since in order to want to RP you’ve probably already RP’d somewhere else and may still RP there still.

Bill_Murray_-
Fan_7383

Avatar: 7241 2011-07-31 00:42:33 -0400

[i have a thirteen inch male reproductive organ click for proof]

Level 35 Camwhore

Oh whoops, I dropped my monster condom that I use for my magnum dong

Well, if it was a big concern, ET could make posting in the forums a necessity as part of the tutorial. But that could cause more problems on it’s own, so maybe it’s better to just not encourage them. If they aren’t interested in the community aspect of FWZ, let them be. :/

TUBSWEETIE

Avatar: 3450 2011-07-31 00:45:06 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

MY MEMORY IS THAT OF A SMALL GRAPE

I don’t feel we should encourage people. If they find it and like it, they’ll stay and use it.

We don’t need everyone posting here. It’s a pretty low-brow forum as it is; if more people come in there will be more idiots and less good posters.

Fran

Avatar: 34789 2015-08-06 21:23:09 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 62 Camwhore

I wonder who is the bumbling idiot that still has fake currency on this website and actually spends

TUBSWEETIE Posted:

I don’t feel we should encourage people. If they find it and like it, they’ll stay and use it.

We don’t need everyone posting here. It’s a pretty low-brow forum as it is; if more people come in there will be more idiots and less good posters.

This.

More people posting implies on more idiots and more spammers. If people are smart enough to go and search stuff on Flamebate, they’ll stay here and make Forumwarz grow as a community.

I don’t believe people who comes to Flamebate only seeking tips ever have the intention of staying here and posting more. Otherwise, they would simply post more. It’s not rocket science.

Onli-Wan Cah-
one

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

littlefran Posted:

This.

More people posting implies on more idiots and more spammers. If people are smart enough to go and search stuff on Flamebate, they’ll stay here and make Forumwarz grow as a community.

I don’t believe people who comes to Flamebate only seeking tips ever have the intention of staying here and posting more. Otherwise, they would simply post more. It’s not rocket science.

As someone who has just started playing the game I think this is wrong.

I’ve participated in many forums and still do but at first glance I find this one quite confusing.

Because people are quite often posting in character in some areas and then not in others it seems hard to find where those lines are drawn. Now when you know the forums and it’s members I’m sure it’s easy to know peoples characters and when they are joking/role playing or being serious. But as a new arrival you have none of that knowledge and the whole place feels very inaccessible.

I’ve looked around a little for the last couple of days and not really found anywhere I felt I could step in.

The reasons I posted here are from what I can tell this is a serious non flame area, so I could make a serious point, and also I have come into the forums as I would like to seek advice but I certainly would remain on the forums after if I felt comfortable so I felt the post I’m replying to was wrong.

Now I’m not sure you can solve this problem of confusion as it is the nature of your forums, you like to let people role play their characters, but I do see it as a problem to encouraging people to step in and join.

Except perhaps for the idiot type posters people have discussed as they will just step in and start trolling and flaming people as thats what they really want to do anyway.

So you may well attract new people, but it’s probably not the type you really want to create a good set of forums. They might be discouraged by the confusing nature of what is allowed in different areas.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

@onli: I did put readme stickies at the top of each forum, indicating which rules apply in each one. But since that didn’t seem to work for you, I’d love to hear any ideas you may have on what would make it less confusing, either in this thread or via tubmail. Thx!

BirdofPrey

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

Onli-Wan Cahone Posted:

As someone who has just started playing the game I think this is wrong.

I’ve participated in many forums and still do but at first glance I find this one quite confusing.

Because people are quite often posting in character in some areas and then not in others it seems hard to find where those lines are drawn. Now when you know the forums and it’s members I’m sure it’s easy to know peoples characters and when they are joking/role playing or being serious. But as a new arrival you have none of that knowledge and the whole place feels very inaccessible.

I’ve looked around a little for the last couple of days and not really found anywhere I felt I could step in.

The reasons I posted here are from what I can tell this is a serious non flame area, so I could make a serious point, and also I have come into the forums as I would like to seek advice but I certainly would remain on the forums after if I felt comfortable so I felt the post I’m replying to was wrong.

Now I’m not sure you can solve this problem of confusion as it is the nature of your forums, you like to let people role play their characters, but I do see it as a problem to encouraging people to step in and join.

Except perhaps for the idiot type posters people have discussed as they will just step in and start trolling and flaming people as thats what they really want to do anyway.

So you may well attract new people, but it’s probably not the type you really want to create a good set of forums. They might be discouraged by the confusing nature of what is allowed in different areas.

I don’t understand. Role playing goes in role-playing forums, and not outside role-playing forums. How is this confusing? As for not finding a place to step in, the only explanation i can see is you’re a huge woman's genitals who’s afraid to post on the internet (correct me if I’m wrong here). Random new people make threads all the time, this place isn’t nearly as cloistered as you apparently think it is. All in all, you seem like the kind of person who takes the internet way too seriously, so in the end it’s probably best that you don’t post here.

Onli-Wan Cah-
one

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

MC Banhammer Posted:

@onli: I did put readme stickies at the top of each forum, indicating which rules apply in each one. But since that didn’t seem to work for you, I’d love to hear any ideas you may have on what would make it less confusing, either in this thread or via tubmail. Thx!

Indeed and I’ve looked at some of the stickies. Not every single one as I get bored. lol

That said though I would wager I read a lot more than most people do before I jump into forums.

Having looked back through again I think my first impression was that it was allowed in a far more widespread manner than it actually is.

Another issue I think I had is that there seem to be a lot of in-jokes based around the game. Which isn’t really a problem as you’d expect it but again I found it a little confusing.

For example I have tried the INCIT thing a couple of times and people have written captions that other people loved and yet to me it seemed completely unfunny and irrelevant. Now having played the game further through I have then experienced things that the jokes were based on and hence they make more sense.

As said this isn’t really a problem but it did create a feeling of being on a different wavelength to the people here and hence could make it more difficult for people to engage with any discussions if they experienced the same thing.

These really are just fairly standard things when joining a new, unfamiliar forum environment.

I think partly this is just me getting the wrong end of the stick and putting more emphasis on the role play side of things and believing it to be more widespread than I thought.

Also though, now forgive me if there is one and I missed it, there doesn’t seem to be a simple ‘introduce yourself’ thread. Something so simple and yet it’s an instant start point. Somewhere people can feel relaxed to just start off getting a sense of the forum interaction. Particularly if they are possibly worried about being flamed elsewhere on the boards.

BirdofPrey

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

Onli-Wan Cah-
one

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

BirdofPrey Posted:

I don’t understand. Role playing goes in role-playing forums, and not outside role-playing forums. How is this confusing? As for not finding a place to step in, the only explanation i can see is you’re a huge woman's genitals who’s afraid to post on the internet (correct me if I’m wrong here). Random new people make threads all the time, this place isn’t nearly as cloistered as you apparently think it is. All in all, you seem like the kind of person who takes the internet way too seriously, so in the end it’s probably best that you don’t post here.

Now you see you know absolutely nothing about me. All you’ve seen is me come in and offer some opinions on why your forums might not be popular. Your response as you don’t agree, or are too simple to see an alternate point of view, is to attack that person.

Do you still wonder why perhaps you don’t get as many quality posters here as you’d like? Why it’s a bit low brow?

BirdofPrey

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

Onli-Wan Cahone Posted:

Now you see you know absolutely nothing about me. All you’ve seen is me come in and offer some opinions on why your forums might not be popular. Your response as you don’t agree, or are too simple to see an alternate point of view, is to attack that person.

Do you still wonder why perhaps you don’t get as many quality posters here as you’d like? Why it’s a bit low brow?

jesus christ. if making the forums more popular would attract more people like you, thank god they’re not. You really consider yourself a quality poster, don’t you? More posters like you would completely suck the humor dry from these forums.

Sancdar

[Team Shortbus]

Level 50 Camwhore

LCC club

Onli-Wan Cahone Posted:

Another issue I think I had is that there seem to be a lot of in-jokes based around the game. Which isn’t really a problem as you’d expect it but again I found it a little confusing.

For example I have tried the INCIT thing a couple of times and people have written captions that other people loved and yet to me it seemed completely unfunny and irrelevant. Now having played the game further through I have then experienced things that the jokes were based on and hence they make more sense.

As said this isn’t really a problem but it did create a feeling of being on a different wavelength to the people here and hence could make it more difficult for people to engage with any discussions if they experienced the same thing.

I really don’t care if people who don’t play FW are turned off by the FW boards. Every group with any amount of history will reference shared experiences, deal with it.

Also I tend to be too verbose and even I’m amazed at how much you wrote to say “there are in-jokes here”.

Sancdar edited this message on 04/24/2008 9:36AM

Paraone

[egg]

Level 10 Troll

i am a heron. i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak.

Onli-Wan Cahone Posted:

I don’t know why you would need to know anything about anyone really. As for new posters, when in Rome….

This place isn’t even the slightest bit serious at all, and if you take yourself serious and the such then you probably won’t enjoy it very much to be honest. It’s low brow because it is supposed to be low brow.

see u on the formums

BirdofPrey

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

Paraone Posted:

I don’t know why you would need to know anything about anyone really. As for new posters, when in Rome….

This place isn’t even the slightest bit serious at all, and if you take yourself serious and the such then you probably won’t enjoy it very much to be honest. It’s low brow because it is supposed to be low brow.

see u on the formums

yeah this guy said what i’m trying to get across only less mean.

Onli-Wan Cah-
one

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

BirdofPrey Posted:

jesus christ. if making the forums more popular would attract more people like you, thank god they’re not. You really consider yourself a quality poster, don’t you? More posters like you would completely suck the humor dry from these forums.

Again, talking about things you know nothing about.

You’ve made a decision on me after reading two posts.

I could quite comfortably flame you. Would that make you happier? Would that be a quality post? Would that inject your brand of humour?

What kind of person am I then that you object to? Given the facts you actually have on me I can only bumume you dislike people capable of forming coherent sentences and articulating a point of view that differs to your own.

You accuse me of taking the internet far too seriously when you are the one reacting to my posts. Perhaps you’d like to think about that a little. I say a little as I’m trying to keep it within your ability range. Log in to see images!

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!