Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Bug - 3 [CLOSED] Domination Card Exploit Addressed

Snott

[Board of Directors]

Level 17 Troll

ICE VOMIT

Tarman Posted:

YES YOU fabulous person YOU ARENT SUPPOSED TO BREAK THE GAME WTF DO YOU THINK THE BUG REPORT FEATURE IS FOR

Reporting the bugs that you found by looking for them. Log in to see images!

Tarman

[Smooth Town Rebels]

Level 10 Troll

I AM IN NEED OF A GOOD DOUCHING SINCE I HAVE SAND IN MY VAG!!!!!

Acid Flux Posted:

I know what the bug report function is. I also know that if I can provide more detailed information regarding the bug, that is immensely useful.

THEN WHY ARE YOU SUBMITTING REPORTS YOU WERENT INVITED TO SUBMIT THEM fabulous person

manimal

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

I don’t get it. We could have waited until next wednesday night to do this, and we probably would have gotten away with it. All we had to do was not steal infinite cards, and we could have exploited this for weeks.

I think that we should get something for being so blatant about it.

Acid Flux

Avatar: 6767 Tue Mar 17 11:41:54 -0400 2009

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

KYOUBAI IS SUPER-SERIOUS BUSINESS

manimal Posted:

I don’t get it. We could have waited until next wednesday night to do this, and we probably would have gotten away with it. All we had to do was not steal infinite cards, and we could have exploited this for weeks.

I think that we should get something for being so blatant about it.

I think some people are A) mad they didn’t find it first so they could exploit it and not say anything or B) mad that we exposed the exploit they were using too.

If we were trying to cheat, we could have been super sneaky about it. Evil Trout himself was looking at my account trying to figure out why my Shield cards were not working properly, and I was using the exploit then, and he never noticed it. That was part of our bug research.

Cheating was never the point. Improving the game was the point. Either you understand that or you don’t.

Tarman

[Smooth Town Rebels]

Level 10 Troll

Acid Flux Posted:

I think some people are A) mad they didn’t find it first so they could exploit it and not say anything or B) mad that we exposed the exploit they were using too.

If we were trying to cheat, we could have been super sneaky about it. Evil Trout himself was looking at my account trying to figure out why my Shield cards were not working properly, and I was using the exploit then, and he never noticed it. That was part of our bug research.

Cheating was never the point. Improving the game was the point. Either you understand that or you don’t.

HOW DO YOU IMPROVE THE GAME BY CHEATING?

Soft Hyphen

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

by reporting how you did it so it can be fixed.

Tarman

[Smooth Town Rebels]

Level 10 Troll

Soft Hyphen Posted:

by reporting how you did it so it can be fixed.

so if it is fixed then why are people whining

Tarman edited this message on 04/03/2008 2:12PM

Acid Flux

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

Tarman Posted:

SO IF IT IS FIXED THEN WHY ARE PEOPLE WHINING

I don’t know…. why are you whining?

?

Acid Flux edited this message on 04/03/2008 1:54PM

Echuu

Avatar: 6433 Tue Jul 21 22:01:07 -0400 2009

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 20 Troll

You made Vader snobby.

Acid Flux Posted:

I don’t know…. why are you whining?

?

He probably like me, was shafted last week.

average mario

[Brainfreeze]

Level 66 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

Acid Flux Posted:

Wow, you just don’t get it. This bug had been reported for a while, i.e., weeks. And no action was taken. But once we staged a mbumive exploit demonstration, it was fixed within 12 hours. It obviously didn’t take that long (comparatively speaking) and it affects so many players that I can’t imagine any bug (other than a critical failure related one) being more important.

Really? You can’t think of anything he might have been doing that could have been more important to the long term viability of the game?

Perhaps he was buliding some tools to be able to write content more quickly or to be able to log this type of crap more easily. Perhaps he was working on episode 2 content. Perhaps he was making chat work to better create and hold a community. Perhaps he was working on advertising, or creating more uses for brownie points. Perhaps he was sorting through applications for the programming job he posted earlier.

How many people a day do you think the game loses due to the lack of content? How many of you are considering leaving due to just a lack of anything to do?

How many people would leave as a result of domination being not quite fair? I look around and see maybe a couple hundred hardcore dom players, and I doubt that you’d all up and leave if the medals weren’t fair for another week or two.

You forced some guy across the internet to do something for you on your schedule. Good job. I hope you feel powerful and important. Excuse me if I don’t think that it necessarily means you deserve an e-peen.

(that being said – I’m glad the bug got fixed)

average mario edited this message on 04/03/2008 2:01PM

Vuron

Avatar: 4928 2011-07-31 00:39:10 -0400

[Team Shortbus]

Level 40 Emo Kid

Vile serpent! I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Bigguyinblack Posted:

Do we really want to play a game where the creators reward cheating and exploiting the game? What E-Peen™ should be created for the first person who figures out how to hack accounts or crash the entire site?

That particular stunt has already been accomplished bigguy

Echuu

Avatar: 6433 Tue Jul 21 22:01:07 -0400 2009

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 20 Troll

You made Vader snobby.

average mario Posted:

Really? You can’t think of anything he might have been doing that could have been more important to the long term viability of the game?

Perhaps he was buliding some tools to be able to write content more quickly or to be able to log this type of crap more easily. Perhaps he was working on episode 2 content. Perhaps he was making chat work to better create and hold a community. Perhaps he was working on advertising, or creating more uses for brownie points. Perhaps he was sorting through applications for the programming job he posted earlier.

How many people a day do you think the game loses due to the lack of content? How many of you are considering leaving due to just a lack of anything to do?

How many people would leave as a result of domination being not quite fair? I look around and see maybe a couple hundred hardcore dom players, and I doubt that you’d all up and leave if the medals weren’t fair for another week or two.

You forced some guy across the internet to do something for you on your schedule. Good job. I hope you feel powerful and important. Excuse me if I don’t think that it necessarily means you deserve an e-peen.

(that being said – I’m glad the bug got fixed)

QFT.

Tarman

[Smooth Town Rebels]

Level 10 Troll

average mario Posted:

Oh look another fabulous person hypocrite whining because his winning exploit got fixed. i say way to go knights for ****ing the guys who were ****ing everyone else. now excuse me if i dont feel obligated to give you a goddamn cookie.

MOD edit: Tarman, this is a non-trolling forum. Meaning no all-caps, etc. Please read the rules.

Tarman edited this message on 04/03/2008 2:12PM

Snott

[Board of Directors]

Level 17 Troll

ICE VOMIT

average mario Posted:

I can’t really speak for everyone, but:

Domination pretty much *is* the endgame. It’s an interesting PvP system, and it’s been a lot of fun. A month or so ago I would have made a case for Forumbuildr, but that’s restricted to so many entries per week now. You can also say Flamebate, since the RP forums are basically their own game.

That said, I up and left for a few weeks when Vanilla was completely wonky. I could *almost* keep up, but it wasn’t really worth the amount of time I’d need to spend on Gamblebot to do so. If this sort of thing stuck around, I’m fairly certain that it *would* **** people off into wandering off.

Content should definitely take the front seat, but that doesn’t mean that Domination should take a total backseat – it’s the main part of the game keeping people around. Delicate balance and all. Make new friends, keep the old, one is silver, etc. etc. Let it ride shotgun or something.

Sir Tasnica

[Sisterhood of the -
Quivering Rose
]

Level 34 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

While I’m not sure if it was the right way to go about solving the issue, the fact that KoLOL purposely arranged a demonstration with no intention of getting away with it clears their name in my book.

However, I am still irked by those who used the exploit to dominate medals last week (though Acid Flux has, at least in the forums, requested that his medals be removed). Even those who “were trying to expose the bug” could have easily turned their scoops into cards once they realized that they were not being noticed, especially if they knew about the mbum demonstration later that day.

Sir Tasnica edited this message on 04/03/2008 2:20PM

average mario

[Brainfreeze]

Level 66 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

Snott Posted:

I can’t really speak for everyone, but:

Domination pretty much *is* the endgame. It’s an interesting PvP system, and it’s been a lot of fun. A month or so ago I would have made a case for Forumbuildr, but that’s restricted to so many entries per week now. You can also say Flamebate, since the RP forums are basically their own game.

Content should definitely take the front seat, but that doesn’t mean that Domination should take a total backseat – it’s the main part of the game keeping people around. Delicate balance and all. Make new friends, keep the old, one is silver, etc. etc. Let it ride shotgun or something.

Yeah, clearly it was going to have to be dealt with eventually and probably sooner rather than later. PvP with glareing exploits like that just doesn’t work and domination is one of the few things to actually do while waiting for new content. I just wanted to counterbalance the “we did ET a favor – he should reward us!!” posts a bit.

Acid Flux

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

Snott Posted:

If this sort of thing stuck around, I’m fairly certain that it *would* **** people off into wandering off.

Bingo.

Average Mario, I never said it was the most important issue, just the most important bug (excluding those that crash the system, i.e., critical failures).

average mario Posted:

I just wanted to counterbalance the “we did ET a favor – he should reward us!!” posts a bit.

Fine, especially considering the desire for an E-Peen is an afterthought. We didn’t do it for a potential E-Peen, we just simply threw that out there after the fact. We did it to highlight the problem.

Acid Flux edited this message on 04/03/2008 2:35PM

Tarman

[Smooth Town Rebels]

Level 10 Troll

you fabulous persons need to stop whining about how knights inconvenienced ET. the people who really inconvenienced him where the ones who were whining and making him fix it. or do you pussies suddenly not call it inconvenient if it helps you?

manimal

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Tarman Posted:

you fabulous persons need to stop whining about how knights inconvenienced ET. the people who really inconvenienced him where the ones who were whining and making him fix it. or do you pussies suddenly not call it inconvenient if it helps you?

QFT

I personally think we should be thanked for bringing this bug to light (half kidding).

I do think that our methods show we did not expect to keep the scoops/cards, legitimately wanted this to be fixed, and “exploited” the bug before any significant amount of legitimate scoops were earned by everyone not in KoLOL.

I don’t believe there was really any damage done by the whole thing, since we didn’t exploit it. Exploiting it would have been not submitting bug reports, doing this right before the end of a week, etc.

Wylin

Avatar: 19712 Thu Mar 26 21:15:20 -0400 2009

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Causing Jealousy On The Internet On A Daily Basis.

Tarman Posted:

Who is whining about him fixing a bug? I think that’s part of the dev job isn’t it? I hope he fixes them all so we can have a solid playing atmosphere that is fair for me and the next guy.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!