Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Poll Random Rollovers: What do you think?

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

A large amount of lag we experience every day is due to the traffic near the Rollover. Basically, a huge amount of players rush the server near 7AM EST to get their new forum visits and start playing right away.

I’ve made a lot of enhancements to the codebase to try and improve this performance lately, but it seems that no matter how solid the code gets, it’s hard to handle a huge surge of users all fighting for the server’s resources.

One thing I was thinking of was giving each account a random rollover hour, and distribute it evenly so that there’s an even amount of rollovers at every hour. Then, you would be given a counter that says “Your new visits will be given in 5 hours, or 9PM local time”.

Just so we’re clear: each account would have the same rollover time every day. The randomness is only what hour of the day is bumigned to your account to roll over.

How would you guys react to such a change?

Edit: Related, I gave everyone playing 2 bonus forum visits due to technical issues this morning.

Evil Trout edited this message on 03/10/2008 8:12PM

SirIsaac

[Team Shortbus]

Level 9 Troll

WHSOutcast at gmail dot com

This seems interesting, and certainly like a good idea, but I’m curious on how this would be implemented.

DrKirre

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

I like. I VERY like. I very very VERY like. The only thing I didn’t like about this game was the 7 AM rollover- because of my sleep cycle, that’s somewhat awkward for gettin’ in my turns. A random one? There’d be an 2/3 chance of having a much much better time! Go for it! Log in to see images!

Skyreal

Level 24 Camwhore

“The Lady is a Tramp”

I would welcome it. Less time spent waiting for pages to load = good.

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

SirIsaac Posted:

This seems interesting, and certainly like a good idea, but I’m curious on how this would be implemented.

Well each account that signs up would be bumigned a random number between 1-24 that would designate the hour of the day their rollover would take effect.

Then there would be a countdown clock on their character page (or somewhere else) that would say how many hours to go until their new visits come.

Then instead of running the deliveries and stuff overnight, they would happen every hour for the users with that time.

Evil Trout edited this message on 03/10/2008 8:09PM

Kaer

Level 29 Camwhore

“Playmate of the Month”

I wouldn’t have any problem with it. It seems like it would be a kind of interesting way to get rid of the lag problem.

Though, on Wednesdays it might muck up some people’s Domination efforts, if their rollover happens to be a weird time.

crovax1234

Avatar: 4582 2010-02-23 19:23:15 -0500

[Board of Directors]

Level 69 Troll

Gambling addict extraordinaire

I’d say this is good, as long as you keep the refresh hours to 10PM PST and later. Otherwise, you may get some domination-nuts ****y about a potential advantage some people have getting their visits potentially before the final tally is made.

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

crovax1234 Posted:

I’d say this is good, as long as you keep the refresh hours to 10PM PST and later. Otherwise, you may get some domination-nuts ****y about a potential advantage some people have getting their visits potentially before the final tally is made.

It should still be the same amount of visits in a week though right?

Maybe I’m not thinking about it correctly, but it should be even.

Echuu

Avatar: 6433 Tue Jul 21 22:01:07 -0400 2009

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 20 Troll

You made Vader snobby.

I love the idea, and with it being predetermined i don’t see a problem. Hate having those huge spikes when i want to play.

Yeah Evil, even if you get your turn after the domination reset, you get a head start on next week so it does even out.

Thanks for the scoops btw! and reinstating my lost cash from this morning.

Echuu edited this message on 03/10/2008 8:37PM

Skyreal

Level 24 Camwhore

“The Lady is a Tramp”

One possible issue related to the weekly reset is if someone has their refresh time close to the reset time. While most people could only have 12 visits stored up, a few could use four visits just before their own refresh time and get an effective advantage of four visits over everyone else.

IMHO the simplest solution would be to change the weekly reset time to the same as their daily refresh time.

EDIT: I guess I didn’t think that one through. Domination brackets… argh.

Skyreal edited this message on 03/10/2008 9:18PM

vanessa

Level 10 Troll

Hitler Cat Sez: Get in the Oven!

I wouldn’t mind a change.

Thanks for the bonus visits, btw. Log in to see images!

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

I like this idea a lot. I don’t think it would be a problem with Domination aside from possibly having a tiny impact the very first week it happened. After that everyone would still end up with the same number of visits between Domination rounds.

Thumbs up to less lag! Log in to see images! scully edited this message on 03/10/2008 8:24PM

Skyreal

Level 24 Camwhore

“The Lady is a Tramp”

lol yeah, suddenly I have more visits

crovax1234

[Board of Directors]

Level 69 Troll

Evil Trout Posted:

It should still be the same amount of visits in a week though right?

Maybe I’m not thinking about it correctly, but it should be even.

Yeah, they would have the same number of visits per week – the thing that some people might complain about is that people get that “last gasp” right before brackets close after everyone else has blown their visits, or, conversely, those people with laggier connections who complain about the last 4 visits they need to burn clogging up valuable card-playing or bracket-watching time. In exceptionally competitive brackets, I could see this being a possible issue, especially if lag ever gets to the point where it got a week or so ago.

Cherrypie

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Opinion: let us choose the rollover hour, if that can be made customizable.

The hour chosen at a given day would affect only the rollover after the next one (as in: if is right now 10:00 AM and my rollover was set to 9:00 AM, setting it to 7:00 PM would mean my next rollover will be tomorrow (or the day after tomorrow) at 7:00 PM.

If you think that’d be too messy, roll the dice right now dewd ^^

Edit: Crovax, if people will get random rollover hours, I guess the hour their Dom bracket ends will have to be more varied too so no rollovers fall too close to a bracket’s closing. Nothing overkill like 24 different bracket endings — but mebbe four of them (one at 6:00 AM, one at 12:00 AM, one at 6:00 PM, one at 12:00 PM)

Cherrypie edited this message on 03/10/2008 8:38PM

Abyssinth

[Sisterhood of the -
Quivering Rose
]

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

Put people into domination brackets based on their refresh times, then you don’t have issues with domination.

also, thanks for the extra 2 forum visits Log in to see images! Abyssinth edited this message on 03/10/2008 8:49PM

TeeKayEff

[Team Shortbus]

Level 34 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Approve.

Razzlesnaff

[Fruit ****ers]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

I really like this idea. As long as no one gets any kind of advantage or disadvantage from it, your solution would be a rather nice fix. I approve of this idea. If it’s optional for some reason sign me uppers. Go go Trout!

Razzlesnaff edited this message on 03/10/2008 8:52PM

crovax1234

[Board of Directors]

Level 69 Troll

Cherrypie Posted:

Crovax, if people will get random rollover hours, I guess the hour their Dom bracket ends will have to be more varied too so no rollovers fall too close to a bracket’s closing. Nothing overkill like 24 different bracket endings — but mebbe four of them (one at 6:00 AM, one at 12:00 AM, one at 6:00 PM, one at 12:00 PM)

The only issues I can think about this is that once you divided people up into four groups, is that you’d probably want to make this another choice option. If you don’t make this available for choice, you run the risk of screwing people out of being able to be there at the end of their bracket, since it may occur at 3AM their time.

However, if you make it a choice option, you also run the risk of Klans being able to engineer their way to taking over brackets (should they want to) or, conversely, being able to increase their chances of staying spread out so everyone can take their own bracket.

Also, if this was a choice option, would it too change every week? Or would it be a one-time deal sort of thing?

Sorry about overthinking this… game design/test is kinda my thing, and I tend to overthink the repercussions from every possible decision.

Edit: The only real issue with bumigning brackets to the people based off of their refresh time is, as refresh time doesn’t change, you’d stagnate your pool of players pretty quickly, and would have a harder time getting new blood.

Edit the second: The easiest thing to do would probably just have the random times fall between 10PM EST and the following 9-12 hours or so. That way, you can completely avert all potential Domination foulups.

crovax1234 edited this message on 03/10/2008 8:56PM

jpsteel

Level 10 Emo Kid

Hello Kitty Underwear Aficionado

As long as it happens the same time everyday I have no problem with it — great idea Mr. Trout.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!