Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Poll Random Rollovers: What do you think?

Starfang_42

[Random Insanity]

Level 30 Troll

The **** of the Trollhole

If you were going to step out rewards, maybe you could have one big reward per day (different cred ranges would give you different big rewards) and then have some smaller ones throughout as well. The stage where you get the delivery would be random, or if you wanted to do it statically, staged (possibly rotated as well). Just something to think about.

Razzlesnaff

[Fruit ****ers]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Enjoying the new counter.Log in to see images!

I have to say when I first saw it, I thought that perhaps the rollovers were now random, then I saw that they weren’t. The lag isn’t really so bad,(for me anywayLog in to see images!) but I do like the idea of random rollover.

I would loathe the idea of one forum visit every six hours. It would ruin the feel of the game for me personally. (Not arrogant enough to think my personal opinion alone wouldn’t stop this from happening though.)

I like the idea of completely random rollover for all accounts. Regardless of the specifics of the random rollover, I think it would be better than it is now.

My favorite idea is to split people into groups. Two, three, four. The number isn’t very significant. Then give the separate groups different rollover times. You’d still have people coming to the website in waves, but smaller a wave.

plk

Avatar: 9972 2010-01-24 16:28:42 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

I like the idea of random rollovers to spread out usage. For the people that really want to have compatible rollover times for doing domination, maybe you could offer the option of being able to pay something like 10 or 20 brownie points to choose your rollover time.

But yay for improvements; I like the counter.

Corion

Level 32 Emo Kid

I lost at domination?! How could this happen to me?

Skyreal Posted:

Another idea is instead of giving everyone 4 visits per day, give them 1 visit every 6 hours. So yeah, a “minor” rollover every 6 hours.

I thought about that too, but it’s likely that instead of 1 spike every 24 hours you’d get 4 spikes, 1 every 6 hours. Which would mean a worsened situation rather than an improved one. It’s possible that you may have only 2-3 spikes per person due to the spread of timezones, but you’d still end up with more spikes, and probably more bandwidth taken.

Of course, if you made some sort of “recently pwned” bonus that players acquired when they used more forum visits one after another, you could convince players to spend all of their time at the spike of their choosing. This could help spread out the major bandwidth consumption.

Corion edited this message on 03/13/2008 11:55PM

Skyreal

Level 24 Camwhore

“The Lady is a Tramp”

Actually, that’s why I put “minor” in quotes, because potentially the strain on the server is just as great. However, if everyone logs in once every 6 hours to spend one visit then my goal has been achieved. I believe the strain on the server at 7am EST is due to people spending all 4 visits at once. If they all had only one visit to spend, there would be a lot less lag, no?

vanessa

Level 10 Troll

Hitler Cat Sez: Get in the Oven!

plk Posted:

I like the idea of random rollovers to spread out usage. For the people that really want to have compatible rollover times for doing domination, maybe you could offer the option of being able to pay something like 10 or 20 brownie points to choose your rollover time.

But yay for improvements; I like the counter.

... or people could simply commit to saving enough adventures and agreeing to a certain time of day to do domination. Compatible rollover times isn’t really necessary if people plan in advance.

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

Lust Posted:

By the way, rather than random rollover times, how well would the server load be staggered if it was divided by timezone? i.e. Rollover happens sometime between 3-5am, for the player, and they set their timezone in their profile. Least amount of people should be playing at that time anyways, and that way every player would have a completely lag-free during their account rollover experience =)

The problem is 90% or more of our users are from North America, so letting them choose wouldn’t really fix things much in that regard.

Ataraxis

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

Evil Trout Posted:

The problem is 90% or more of our users are from North America, so letting them choose wouldn’t really fix things much in that regard.

What about using the same time for the end of the domination rounds?

Having the Domination end at “weird” times for someone in North America might give her an advantage, since all other North Americans are busy sleeping than.

Of course, us evil Europeans will pwn them then Log in to see images!

curufeanor

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

U know, they tried somehing like this with the stock markets way back. Some clown decided U.S. stock market, Asian stock market, and Euro stock market should run on different hours…!!! Log in to see images!

Acid Flux

Avatar: 6767 Tue Mar 17 11:41:54 -0400 2009

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

KYOUBAI IS SUPER-SERIOUS BUSINESS

Look, mathematically, it won’t matter when the individual rollover times start or stop, so long as that information is kept private.

Player A’s rollover time WED 10 p.m., one hour after Domination starts. When Domination starts, he could have, at most, 12 forum visits saved up. He uses those within the hour, and over the course of seven days, he acquires 28 more (WED, THU, FRI, SAT, SUN, MON, TUE 10 p.m.) That’s a maximum of 40 forum visits during any one Domination Round.

Player B’s rollover time WED 8 p.m., one hour bedfore Domination starts. When Domination starts, he could have, at most, 12 forum visits saved up. He uses those within the hour, and over the course of seven days, he acquires 28 more (THU, FRI, SAT, SUN, MON, TUE, WED 8 p.m.) That’s a maximum of 40 forum visits during any one Domination Round.

The only difference is when each player has to go for their ‘rush’. And so long as the total number of forum visits available and rollover time of each player is kept private, it’s completely fair.

If you want to hedge the bet about fairness, then don’t have any rollover times occur within 6 hours of of Domination end times (i.e., the last rollover time should be 3 p.m.) That means that for the last six hours on Wednesday, everyone knows that their opponents, like themselves, can’t have more than 12 forum visits saved up. That means the endgame strategy is fair & balanced.

And with 18 possible rollover times left in the mix, that still spreads out the workload for the servers, etcetera.

Simply randomly bumign rollover times, on the hour, between 10 p.m. and 3 p.m. daily. As an option, make it a 3-5 Brownie Point service to choose your rollover time manually.

Echuu

Avatar: 6433 Tue Jul 21 22:01:07 -0400 2009

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 20 Troll

You made Vader snobby.

Acid Flux Posted:

As an option, make it a 3-5 Brownie Point service to choose your rollover time manually.

I think that’s a brilliant idea. It’s a win-win situation.

Acid Flux

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

Echuu Posted:

I think that’s a brilliant idea. It’s a win-win situation.

Thank you, sir.

Personally, I think the idea of having a 3-6 hour block prior to Domination Round endtime to be the best 7 fairest solution to any alleged problems of different rollover times for different players.

Pickled male reproductive organ-
bum

[Board of Directors]

Level 10 Camwhore

AHAHA HEADSETS

that is a good idea

Acid Flux

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

Hey, I figure, since I have so much fun here, and I’ve already bought some Brownies, might as well offer some constructive suggestions, y’know?

Of course, I have no clue on whether or not its even programmable, so for all I know, it’s a stupid idea.Log in to see images!

Hardcode

Avatar: 4791 Fri Oct 17 06:18:52 -0400 2008

[Board of Directors]

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

Sorry if this has been suggested, but if the deliveries are adding to the load on the server why not periodically run:

if (ForumVisitsLeft == 0){
    GenerateDeliveries();
}

(Yes I do write Perl for a living, thanks for noticing)

That way you could run the deliveries every half hour or something and spread the load.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!