Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Rant Vanilla Re-evaluation?

markchd

Avatar: 12369 2010-01-24 16:26:11 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Camwhore

Craves Power like it's Crystal Pepsi

Evil Trout Posted:

...what if the amount of vanilla scoops you earned from a raid was inversely proportional to the size of the klan?

I like it.

jpsteel

Level 10 Emo Kid

Hello Kitty Underwear Aficionado

markchd Posted:

I like it.

I second that and wait for the wave of “domination only” klans to start Log in to see images!

windandwater

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

Theoretically, I like the idea of inverse proportional Vanillas for larger Klans. But that still doesn’t solve the problem that if your Klan has 200+ members, a good portion of them raiding would still be able to stock up on the Vanillas just through sheer numbers (i.e.: if a larger Klan gets, say 1 Vanilla vs a small Klan’s 4, the larger Klan can still keep up the raiding with other members as the smaller Klan would just run out of forum turns sooner).

Cherrypie

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

The idea is sound in principle, and I support it; that being said, I foresee several smaller clans of 15 to 20 dedicated people becoming the norm on the scene.

Pickled male reproductive organ-
bum

[Board of Directors]

Level 10 Camwhore

AHAHA HEADSETS

its official, crotch zombie, your brains work better than ours

Lust

[The Knights of LOL]

Level 18 Camwhore

Tubmail me for free flezz!! More mails = more flezz

windandwater Posted:

Theoretically, I like the idea of inverse proportional Vanillas for larger Klans. But that still doesn’t solve the problem that if your Klan has 200+ members, a good portion of them raiding would still be able to stock up on the Vanillas just through sheer numbers (i.e.: if a larger Klan gets, say 1 Vanilla vs a small Klan’s 4, the larger Klan can still keep up the raiding with other members as the smaller Klan would just run out of forum turns sooner).

Er.. “inversely proportional” would mean that all 200+ of those members would have to be active and raiding to get the same scoops as all 20 members of a smaller Klan who raided together.

Unless you mean that 40 members raiding together would get more scoops than 20 members raiding together by being able to stagger visits on threads with higher turnover…

But that’s why you don’t use linear algorithms =)

Bill_Murray_-
Fan_7383

Avatar: 7241 2011-07-31 00:42:33 -0400

[i have a thirteen inch male reproductive organ click for proof]

Level 35 Camwhore

Oh whoops, I dropped my monster condom that I use for my magnum dong

Evil Trout Posted:

Finally, here’s an idea I’m just going to throw out: what if the amount of vanilla scoops you earned from a raid was inversely proportional to the size of the klan? In other words, if your Klan has 200+ members, you’ll receive far fewer vanillas than Klans with 5 members. I’m not sure exactly how I’d divide them up but it might be possible.

The idea is to encourage smaller klans, and therefore, more fair raids.

It’s a cool idea, but it still seems easier for bigger klans to get scoops. A Klan of 200 could easily get 30 users going a night, while a klan of 50 could people could maybe get 12 people every OTHER day. Even if they’re given more scoops, they still can’t raid as often.

windandwater

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

Lust Posted:

Er.. “inversely proportional” would mean that all 200+ of those members would have to be active and raiding to get the same scoops as all 20 members of a smaller Klan who raided together.

Unless you mean that 40 members raiding together would get more scoops than 20 members raiding together by being able to stagger visits on threads with higher turnover…

But that’s why you don’t use linear algorithms =)

I meant the 40 members raiding and staggering their visits. Because once you crunch the numbers, with 40 members vs. 20, the larger Klan will always have more forum visits to use for raids (bumuming they all participate). ^^

Of course, it all depends on just where the boundaries are for how many scoops a Klan gets. Because if, say, a Klan with 5 members manages to pull off a successful raid and they get 50 scoops for it, then things end up biased the other way. Though, if 5 people manage to pull off a successful Vanilla raid, I think they might deserve those 50 scoops.

April Fool

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

I’m opposed to a scoop limit. It just seems like a bad solution to most problems to impose artificial limits. Rather, it would be better to solve the underlying problem.

For example, reducing the reward for Klan domination and/or increasing the number of forums pwned requirement. By simply reducing the reward to say, 1 scoop, FoL’s 177 scoops would only be 59. That already takes a huge chunk out of the imbalance.

Of course, this still rewards larger Klans at the expense of smaller Klans. So how about integrating raids more into the game by implementing a raid system like your more traditional MMOs. This way, solo players can also get together to do raids and it places an upper limit on the number of people who can participate per raid. A side-effect would be that only those who are in the raid group get the scoops, eliminating the complaint about rewarding Klan members who don’t do anything. This would, however, require also creating some kind of in-game, real-time communication system.

Well, those are just some suggestions off the top of my head.

Hulyen

[Team Shortbus]

Level 18 Camwhore

Literate Dork

jpsteel Posted:

I second that and wait for the wave of “domination only” klans to start Log in to see images!

I third it. XD

Bubo

Level 18 Camwhore

“Playground Pin-Up”

cowpie Posted:

For example, reducing the reward for Klan domination and/or increasing the number of forums pwned requirement.

Actually, I like the idea of adjusting the number of forums pwned requirement. As I said earlier, I personally like the 3 scoops per member reward even though I’m open to it being adjusted. Adjusting the number of forums, though, suits me just fine and I think would bring Vanilla raids back towards their original scope.

Looking at the original forums, in order to pull off a Vanilla raid at the start of Forumwarz would require that every single forum be pwned at the same time. While that would have been a herculean task at first, the introduction of forumbuildr forums has significantly decreased the difficulty.

Let us increase the difficulty again! I am not advocating that we go back to 100% forums pwned, since I think the higher turnover rates of the lower levelled forums would make that impossible with our current number of players existing and growing. Instead, let’s adjust the bar to take into account the difficulty levels of the forums. If a klan is required to pwn 40 difficulty worth of forums (just an example number), then they could accomplish this by pwning a few of the really difficult forums, or a ton of the lower difficulty forums. We can adjust the difficulty until an acceptable number of vanillas are being won per week, and if we really want to make it a sliding scale then apply a percentage modifier against the target difficulty based on the size of the klan conducting the raid.

Arktor

[Smooth Town Rebels]

Level 10 Camwhore

Medal Ninja

So vanilla scoops would only be practically obtainable by participating in Klan raids?

Bubo

Level 18 Camwhore

“Playground Pin-Up”

Arktor Posted:

So vanilla scoops would only be practically obtainable by participating in Klan raids?

*blink* I thought the discussion had turned to only covering klan raids at this point. The change I proposed is only for klan raids, which have the 12-forums at a time requirement.

Arktor

[Smooth Town Rebels]

Level 10 Camwhore

Medal Ninja

Bubo Posted:

*blink* I thought the discussion had turned to only covering klan raids at this point. The change I proposed is only for klan raids, which have the 12-forums at a time requirement.

I phrased that really badly. Really, really badly. It was sort of two thoughts at once, but it didn’t hit either. What I meant to say was, then Klans would, for the most part, only be for raids. Perhaps it might make more sense if, in every Klan, people could either:

1) Be part of the “Klan Domination Team”, and then share in scoops

or 2) Be in the Klan but not part of the team, i.e. so that people who would rather contribute in other ways (analysis, organization, whatever) could still be part of the Klan.

jpsteel

Level 10 Emo Kid

Hello Kitty Underwear Aficionado

PIMPTASTIC-FROTH Posted:

It’s a cool idea, but it still seems easier for bigger klans to get scoops. A Klan of 200 could easily get 30 users going a night, while a klan of 50 could people could maybe get 12 people every OTHER day. Even if they’re given more scoops, they still can’t raid as often.

I think the proposal on the table is scoop reward handicaped by number of *total* klan members not raid participants. So yes you are right in the fact that larger clans can organize more raid teams but are still handicaped by the klan size modifier under the current proposal (or at least I think so). More members = more raids but at the expense of lower Vanilla output per raid so it works out imo.

Sancdar

[Team Shortbus]

Level 50 Camwhore

LCC club

Arktor Posted:

What I meant to say was, then Klans would, for the most part, only be for raids. Perhaps it might make more sense if, in every Klan, people could either:

1) Be part of the “Klan Domination Team”, and then share in scoops

or 2) Be in the Klan but not part of the team, i.e. so that people who would rather contribute in other ways (analysis, organization, whatever) could still be part of the Klan.

I like this idea. An inverse-size-related-hyphen-thing scoop distribution would be nice but I don’t think Klans should be encouraged to dump out members who are friends/awesome people/work on things other than domination just to get more scoops. I’m not sure if this would be an opt-in or opt-out option optimally. It’s more hbumle for the users if it’s opt-in, but it would be a pain in the bum for large Klans to deal with their inactive members otherwise.

windandwater

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned yet, but what about limiting Klan scoops to only those who actually participate in a raid? That way you won’t get people who join Klans just to leech Vanillas from everyone else who raids, but does none of the work.

Echuu

Avatar: 6433 Tue Jul 21 22:01:07 -0400 2009

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 20 Troll

You made Vader snobby.

scullyangel Posted:

And, it’s obvious that some people are taking that option, since it’s the only one right now. Reading the Flamebate, there is a thread about how klan officers can’t leave a klan. One person responded that they disbanded their klan to leave. It should be noted that the person is now in FoL. I haven’t talked with them personally, but why suddenly dump your smallish personal klan for a 200+ player cluster**** if not for the vanilla?

I know for a fact that this is me and i don’t appreciate it, as you said you haven’t talked to the person so you don’t know the reason. Here it is… wait for it… oh it’s not the vanilla. It’s the raiding. I used to be a hardcore wow raider, and i raided for the sense of accomplishment of successful coordinated raid and kill(nerdy yes i know) and for the lulz, not for the loot. I know it’s hard to believe that not everyone on the Internet is a greedy bastard, but there are exceptions. And while on the subject of disbanding my klan. I tried to recruit people for a good while to the klan, no one came. The people in the klan were: my brother(stopped playing at level 6) and my friend that has little interest in the game.

Now i do agree on people doing this for the vanilla, but I’m not one of them. I understand why you chose this as a example, as it fits perfectly.

This message was endorsed by: Log in to see images!

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

Sorry to have exampled you Echuu. I agree completely that the raid itself is fun, and certainly the klan switch in your case made complete sense. It wasn’t meant to be critical of the choice, I was more sad to think that people might have to make the friends vs game choice if they really want to play.

Btw, I love the new pages the ET and team has put up, they should make things considerably easier for smaller klans. Log in to see images! scully edited this message on 03/14/2008 6:29PM

MongoMacc

Level 1 Re-Re

ROFLMAO! LOL!!11!!!!1!!1

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!