Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Rant Vanilla Re-evaluation?

doug05257

Avatar: 3798 Mon Oct 20 19:57:21 -0400 2008

[Brainfreeze]

Level 34 Troll

WILL YIFF FOR VANILLA SCOOPS!

funkytowel Posted:

I troll wants a avatar that shows them being pawed like a little ****? thats weird but I’m glad you liked itLog in to see images!

Now I won’t feel bad when more “gifts” come your wayLog in to see images!

Better take off the Log in to see images! suit before more people get pawed.

But go on, send ET monies.

Balloon

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

Inflate my ovaries until they pop out of me and float away

There 2 people in mine with 177. Ah, it was nice when it lasted.

DarkhawkX

[NeoGAF]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

I posted this in the thread where Evil Trout replied on this subject in General but I’ll repost it here.

Evil Trout Posted:

A few people reported bugs saying Vanilla is horribly broken if people can pull this kind of thing off.

I disagree, it takes a huge amount of effort to do this, and the other Klans will just have to step up to the challenge.

While this logic sounds great on paper, in the end I think you’ll find all Klans consolidating into 3-4 mbumive ae-invite zerg Klans leaving the game with little variety in play style. For a quirky analogy, the same problem materialized in Everquest, leading to the implementation of raid caps that carried over into WoW.

If your goal is to grow a sizable player base, it would seem prudent to adjust Domination to a point that a majority of the playerbase can actually accomplish something. Personally, I started playing ForumWarz because I thought it was a novel idea that for once lacked true timesinks. I could play for 30 minutes a day and screw around in the end with Domination. If I need to go join a “raiding” Klan and hop in IRC for a mbumively coordinated thread bumault I can’t see the point in continuing. Worse yet, I could join, never raid, and wake up to mbumive scoops which would destroy all sense of accomplishment and bore me in a week.

The bottom line is that I am only complaining because I really enjoy your game and see a great potential in the pick up and play concept, screwing over each other in Domination for less than an hour a day. Of course this is all my personal taste and in the end one person is insignificant. But I would wager there are a lot of players out there like me that probably would never post in Flamebate. They’ll just move on.

Bigguyinblack

[Mock TSB]

Level 10 Troll

i'm so lonely... i have no friends... plz help...

There needs to be a middle ground. klans that work hard should be rewarded but they are being rewarded too much. Plus the scoops are going to every member of the klan encouraging players to leave smaller klans and flock to the largest ones in hopes of free scoops.

Bahu

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Well, if you just award the three scoops to everyone in the klan who currently holds one of those twelve, would that work? Or perhaps everyone who pwned it in the last five minutes? I can’t see that as being… TOO hard to do.

Pickled male reproductive organ-
bum

[Board of Directors]

Level 10 Camwhore

AHAHA HEADSETS

clearly the ‘sploit comes from the fact that they only have to reclaim 1 forum to get another 3 scoops each, so long as they can hold it. it should be reset each time, such that one can only get the scoops again after all the forums previously pwned are taken by another clan.

crovax1234

Avatar: 4582 2010-02-23 19:23:15 -0500

[Board of Directors]

Level 69 Troll

Gambling addict extraordinaire

It seems like being able to get 170+ scoops in ONE RUN (which I have heard has, in fact, happened) seems a bit… broken. If you had a clan of 50-60 active people, you could just have them all spam whatever forums whenever, and whenever a forum changes hands and the clan has 12 or more forums pwned, everyone gets 3 scoops. A large enough klan could easily get thousands of scoops in a day. And that just feels… a bit unfair.

funkytowel

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

Ah you do now how hard it is to pull off right? before I tried a vanilla run i would agree with you guys but after today i think its a perfect system, one that comes with rewards as equal as the huge effort involved.

DarkhawkX

[NeoGAF]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Bahu Posted:

Well, if you just award the three scoops to everyone in the klan who currently holds one of those twelve, would that work? Or perhaps everyone who pwned it in the last five minutes? I can’t see that as being… TOO hard to do.

I think that would certainly be a step in the right direction. Ideally, I would split Domination into 2 games. Klan Domination and ordinary Domination. Everyone plays ordinary Domination as is without the Klan’d Vanilla Scoops. In the Klan version of Domination I would allow Klans as a whole to go head to head with unique methods of obtaining scoops geared towards both smaller and larger clans along with unique cards to match that theme.

This would allow for maximum playability across the entirety of player strata. I’m all for expanding the game, not nerfing it to my own end.

Lust

[The Knights of LOL]

Level 18 Camwhore

Tubmail me for free flezz!! More mails = more flezz

Yeah, I have to agree. I have an unKlanned alt who managed to medal today in minscoops with two Flamers in his pool, but only because they were complete noobs and didn’t card their way like they should have.

If members of raiding Klans actually know what they’re doing, there’s no shot in hell for unklanned people.

Skyreal

Level 24 Camwhore

“The Lady is a Tramp”

DarkhawkX Posted:

I think that would certainly be a step in the right direction. Ideally, I would split Domination into 2 games. Klan Domination and ordinary Domination. Everyone plays ordinary Domination as is without the Klan’d Vanilla Scoops. In the Klan version of Domination I would allow Klans as a whole to go head to head with unique methods of obtaining scoops geared towards both smaller and larger clans along with unique cards to match that theme.

This would allow for maximum playability across the entirety of player strata. I’m all for expanding the game, not nerfing it to my own end.

I was going to suggest something similar, after one more night of consideration. Separate domination games for the klans and the solo players.

Cherrypie

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

I think they’ll never know till they try. I was only in the sidelines, and got outta there with a headache.

Say Trout — Vanilla Raiding strains the servers too much, or we can do it again? :3

Zendra

[Sisterhood of the -
Quivering Rose
]

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

I have to agree. Anyone with the mbumive amount of vanilla from raiding at the moment can easily win all 4 trophies unless there is some competition in another raiding klan. Me and the boyfriend managed to snag all 4 in our brackets. Though I had some good competition from a FoL Log in to see images!

windandwater

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

I think a Klan Domination and solo Domination separation would seem the best thing to do. That way Klans could really get competitive with each other in planning forum runs, but the rest of us don’t get shut out.

Virtual_Eyes

[Sisterhood of the -
Quivering Rose
]

Level 13 Camwhore

Whiny, yet arrogant.

windandwater Posted:

I think a Klan Domination and solo Domination separation would seem the best thing to do. That way Klans could really get competitive with each other in planning forum runs, but the rest of us don’t get shut out.

I wholeheartedly second that… there’s no reason why that wouldn’t solve both problems that are beginning to arise (i.e. individual players having no chance and klanmembers up against each other in Domination).

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

I’d like to bring up a couple of things that seem to be getting run over by smack talk.

This thread started as a question, but really when only one small (and yes, it was small) raid had been completed it was harder to judge the real impact. Now we’ve seen at least 5 raids, and re-evaluation of vanilla needs to happen. I had all my jollies playing over 50 Domination cards this time around. My God, it was a blast! I got to male reproductive organ with a ridiculous number of people. Log in to see images!

But, I happen to be in one of the raiding klans, and I’m not so blind that I can’t see the problem.

I’ve been talking to several people in smaller klans and there is more than frustration going on – people are not really seeing a reason to bother with Domination anymore if they aren’t in a mega-klan. These are people who earned medals prior to any mbum raiding, so they actually know how to play and win solo without tons of bonus scoops dumped into their laps.

I think that blows.

I do know that smaller klans can pull off a vanilla raid, but pvp is a strange animal, and it’s not everyones cup of tea. A klan shouldn’t have to force it’s members to participate, so that the players who want to play Domination have a chance.

I had at least 3 players in my pod (Buntline, ClevedonTom and Duddly Donkers) who were holding their own against the 10ish players from SotQR and FoL. It was freaking impressive, but ultimately sad. No game play, no strategy could have overcome the sheer number of bodies with vanilla scoops.

Frankly the “vanilla walls” (those in the raiding klans that just sat there doing nothing) were more of a problem than those actively playing. Vanilla walls had to be taken down in order to effectively play Dom. cards! A solo player couldn’t even attack an actual enemy because this other blob was sitting in the way. This would be great strategy in a klan format, a nightmare in a solo situation.

And, really the response should not be “join a different klan.” If a player needed to be in a certain type of klan to have a chance at completing the nuke plant, the howls would be deafening. Domination might not be part of the main game, but it’s part of the game.

A lot of the people in smaller klans are friends, or at least knew each other prior to FlameWarz.

They brought each other into the game.

So, now that they all had this bonus fun game experience together if they actually want to continue (and lets be honest once ep1 is done the only real play is Dom.) they need to bail on their friends and fling themselves into groups they don’t really want to play with? All that is going to achieve is people not bothering and deciding to leave the game, so that seems like a really bad option.

And, it’s obvious that some people are taking that option, since it’s the only one right now. Reading the Flamebate, there is a thread about how klan officers can’t leave a klan. One person responded that they disbanded their klan to leave. It should be noted that the person is now in FoL. I haven’t talked with them personally, but why suddenly dump your smallish personal klan for a 200+ player cluster**** if not for the vanilla?

A vanilla cap has been brought up, this isn’t a bad idea at all.

More Domination card options, could also help.

I have no idea how a game like Domination is set up coding wise but, having a “klan” or “solo” bumon to click would be wonderful. Click solo and you are only playing against other solo players, you get nothing from klan raid type activities. Your click this week determines what you will play next week.

I like this little game, it’s a fun diversion that doesn’t take hours to play. I think it should be fun for solo players as well as the groups. Hope that this gets tweaked before people get frustrated enough to bail.

PS – Frisesomorum, you are so on my ****ing hit list. Log in to see images!

LOL. Ninja’d by much more to the point posters.

scully edited this message on 03/13/2008 12:00AM

Lust

[The Knights of LOL]

Level 18 Camwhore

Tubmail me for free flezz!! More mails = more flezz

P.S. slightly off current topic, but I seem to remember someone saying solo vanillas aren’t gettable anymore, so I figured I’d prove wrong.

It’s actually quite possible to still be competitive as a solo player, if you’re skilled. I did 2x medal with my alt in a pool with 2x flamers this week, and the min scoops in *my* pool was only 5. A competitive player could pull in 7 vanillas this way, get >100 anti-freezes by gambling, hit around 40-50 yellows, ~10 greens, and X browns a week, which would be enough to win min scoops in quite a lot of last week’s pools, simply because people aren’t using their scoops very intelligently.

It is, however, kinda impossible to get the other two of the four medals at this point as a solo player, so the system is kinda broken Log in to see images! Lust edited this message on 03/13/2008 1:56AM

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

I’ve seen vanilla had by a solo player, too. My brother managed it completely accidentally the other day. I do think a lot of that depends on the time of day you are able to play, though.

The problem is when you look at what a solo player can do in X visits, and stack them with what a klan player can do with X visits. Everything is skill and strategy at that point and then you add 40, 60, 200 scoops from klan raids. That is a ridiculous handicap to expect a solo player to overcome.

flamin kooz

[Urbanite Playboy N-
inja
]

Level 10 Camwhore

**** DOMINATION!

ya thats my only whinning and ****ing for the game too.

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

First of all I should let you guys know that we’ve launched two new tools for making vanilla raiding easier, they are available in your Klan tab. One lists all the forums and their current status, the second lists all your active members and how many visits they have left.

All of you who are hating on vanilla are probably going to dislike this, but I for one think raiding is one of the more fun activities a Klan can do and I want to enable it.

Having said that of course it’s a concern that some people are frustrated with Domination as a result. Some of the suggestions here are really good, but we’ve been working on our own too.

The Other Other hole is really the mastermind behind domination, and he’s come up with two new ideas for medals that aren’t based on getting the most scoops. I think that should help people who don’t earn ridiculous amounts of scoops to compete.

We’re also probably going to tweak the amount of scoops various activities earn, but we’ll really need a couple more weeks of stats to figure that out efficiently.

Finally, here’s an idea I’m just going to throw out: what if the amount of vanilla scoops you earned from a raid was inversely proportional to the size of the klan? In other words, if your Klan has 200+ members, you’ll receive far fewer vanillas than Klans with 5 members. I’m not sure exactly how I’d divide them up but it might be possible.

The idea is to encourage smaller klans, and therefore, more fair raids.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!