Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Web Games Clbum Balance at the Level Cap: How much do we really care?

quangntenemy

Avatar: 14557 2011-10-31 11:07:55 -0400

[WeChall]

Level 69 Troll

:ronpaul: :****ing sucks:

scullyangel Posted:

It’s terribly annoying for the job board. I’ve been slogging away at the job board for awhile now (I’ll finally hit the 1800 peen this week), but I would have been able to finish as much as 3 weeks sooner had I been able to always select a 5 point job. Will that situation impact many players? No.

It’s not because of the imbalance. Even as a troll I still have to avoid speedrun jobs as much as I can, because many of them are impossible. And oddly enough a camwhore is topping it Log in to see images!

meeeeeeeeee

Avatar: 15443 2010-04-04 18:27:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Sneakily vicious and filled with virtuous pit bulls.

Speedruns would be fixed with separate leaderboards for each clbum.

Possibly a C-
abbage

Avatar: 76887 Fri Oct 24 03:39:44 -0400 2008

[Leafy Green Vegeta-
bles
]

Level 35 Hacker

Herbaceous, biennial, dicotyledonous , and flowering.

quangntenemy Posted:

So what are you guys suggesting? Different clbumes with attacks that deal the same damage but different names? And maybe we can create 100 such clbumes to make the game more fun?

I think the only problem is that hacker’s attacks have too high refresh rates, and I’d love to see them lowered.

I’m not suggesting anything, I’m just trying to get a dialogue going. It’s simply an observation that of the four regular clbumes, one of them is significantly better than the other three when you’re talking high level characters with good equipment. It’s entirely possible that this is fine, and we just don’t care that one clbum is “the best” since there’s always going to be something that’s the best. It’s entirely possible that we decide that trolls are fine, and other clbumes just need to be brought up to their levels, and it’s entirely possible that we decide that trolls are too good and need to be brought back to the pack a little bit. I have no dog in this fight.

I do, however, think that political flamebait having an attack of 350, a cost of 8 DB, and a refresh of 1 is sort of our of line with other clbumes “best attacks”: Everybody hurts has an attack of 220, a refresh of 1, and a cost of 15 tears; Fetish Pics has an attack of 225, a refresh of 1, and a cost of 15 sexiness; ipz has has an attack of 200-210, a refresh of 6(!), and a cost of 7 PP. Since all these clbumes have roughly the same offense for level capped characters, and we recently the clbumes because some were doing too much damage, it’s entirely possible that we didn’t exactly balance them correctly.

I mean, ET obviously cared enough about clbum balance at one point to take some data, and do some tinkering, in an attempt to make things “better” according to what his standards were. There’s no guarantee (in fact, it’s far from probable) that the system he set up once was perfect.

Possibly a Cabbage edited this message on 02/22/2009 11:43AM

Hackmeister

Level 35 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

Cabbage:

There are some really good points being raised by the lower level hackers. At equipment cap, the penalties of a hacker don’t matter as much…but before that, there’s little place to get processing power without sacrificing damage and defense significantly. Even at cap, they’re the most tedious non-challenge clbum to play because you pretty much need to use eight abilities to kill forums rather than 2-4 due to all of their abilities having high refresh. A lot of us hackers (self included), whined about it before hitting equipment cap since it really was still onerous at level 35. The advent of kyoubai has helped TONS on this since money can be gotten outside of challenging the higher tier forums, but it’s just saying “You can’t remotely compete without the top tier gear, while these guys can do so easily”.

Notably, before the nerfings, Hackers killed trolls. I had both at that time and was staring at my hacker completely obliterating my troll in lots of things. It wasn’t always that hackers were buried under tons of high refresh abilities. Trolls, during the same period got made more powerful, when they seemed to overall be reasonably okay then. And then had it happen again. Are they over the top now? Probably. But seeing how badly hackers got knocked down, I’d rather call for the other three not being knocked down so much.

Folks calling for nerfings:

Really, not productive. It’d be way better to push the bottom up than the top down. It’s not going to change hackers having tons of refresh that trolls now would have slower times. The blocks on success for different clbumes in different ways are a far bigger hinderence. If each clbum had more special things that they got (Higher Flezz delivery caps, More valuable jobs, special kyoubai stuff) then there’d be less arguing over pure ‘battle’ capabilities because we’d have unique things to compare. You hardly hear Emokids being called underpowered or not because they have something really special on them in the ability to do super attacks. It pulls the discussion a different way. The game could use more out of the box solutions rather than ‘tweaking the obvious stats parameters again’.

Folks reminding of old suggestions:

Yeah, I totally cheer on the separation of clbumes versus each other in speedruns (and hell, in most other leaderboards, we’ve got enough of each clbum now. It removes instantly the balance concerns if you’re only competing against folks in the same clbum who all have the same rules).... but as Quat and Scully point out, that’s only part of the issue. How speedruns are calculated is terrible. It always has been. It’s not based on number of moves, or any consistent measure. It’s based on time from forum start to forum complete, affected heavily by server load, image load time, effect load time, forum lifebar variance, and number of threads before you even get to clbum differences. The clock keeps going when the post thread victory screen shows (and possibly when the post forum one does) meaning anyone dumb enough to try and click that instead of hammering 1-4 is being slowed. This isn’t a race with remotely consistent parameters. Some people are running longer roads with tar on them and having their score compared against that guy on a T3 college connection adblocking every image in the game and just hammering 1 and 2 rapidly.

I don’t have a clever answer for this myself, but let’s be honest about just how much makes speedrunning a very imprecise comparison between things. The only potential difference clbum balance gets to control is ‘how many actions I take to kill each thread’ and only sometimes. This is a tiny part of the overall puzzle on why a lot of the speedrun times are impossible for people. You sitting on a cable internet on the other side of the world from Canada at busy server time? You’re never going to beat the fastest tier speedrun time. It won’t happen whether you’re a troll, a camwhoere, or anything else. It won’t matter your build. Your equipment. None of it.

Troll balancing and the Metagames:

Yeah, trolls are overpowered. Within their own context, there is no reason to spend on several skills and their offensive capabilities are amazingly high. I’d still rather the other clbumes come closer rather than knocking them down, because with my troll, I’m playing the metagame at end game. The domination, the flezz gathering, the job leader boards, etc. With my hacker, I’m not even trying since I actually have to pay way more attention to the actual game, making thinking about the metagame tiring rather than entertaining. The metagames are what keeps us playing post finishing episode 2 in the same way they did post episode 1. Things that hinder playing the metagames at level cap, encourage folks to depart from the game and wait for the next real content addition.

To me, that’s why I care that other clbumes are underpowered to some degree. Because things that make the metagames more troublesome to play in reduce the number of folks playing them and thus leave them somewhat less competitive than they might be.

KindFearless-
Leader

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Possibly a Cabbage Posted:

I’m not suggesting anything, I’m just trying to get a dialogue going. It’s simply an observation that of the four regular clbumes, one of them is significantly better than the other three when you’re talking high level characters with good equipment. It’s entirely possible that this is fine, and we just don’t care that one clbum is “the best” since there’s always going to be something that’s the best. It’s entirely possible that we decide that trolls are fine, and other clbumes just need to be brought up to their levels, and it’s entirely possible that we decide that trolls are too good and need to be brought back to the pack a little bit. I have no dog in this fight.

I do, however, think that political flamebait having an attack of 350, a cost of 8 DB, and a refresh of 1 is sort of our of line with other clbumes “best attacks”: Everybody hurts has an attack of 220, a refresh of 1, and a cost of 15 tears; Fetish Pics has an attack of 225, a refresh of 1, and a cost of 15 sexiness; ipz has has an attack of 200-210, a refresh of 6(!), and a cost of 7 PP. Since all these clbumes have roughly the same offense for level capped characters, and we recently the clbumes because some were doing too much damage, it’s entirely possible that we didn’t exactly balance them correctly.

I mean, ET obviously cared enough about clbum balance at one point to take some data, and do some tinkering, in an attempt to make things “better” according to what his standards were. There’s no guarantee (in fact, it’s far from probable) that the system he set up once was perfect.

To be accurate, the top ‘tier’ hacker attack was Avtr, with a refresh of 1, a cost of 10, and an attack of piddling 100-110. Prior to nerf, this was the comparison one as I recall around 200-ish attack or more. It merely got nerfed so much, the second most powerful one became that powerful one.

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

Some good stuff in this thread!

I came in here to post that we have decided (a couple of weeks ago actually) to finally split up most leaderboards based on clbum. We’re going to start with Speedruns.

Additionally, we are going to be using a different metric for speedrunning, something like turns used instead of time.

These changes aren’t coming this week, but they’re in the pipeline.

Possibly a C-
abbage

Avatar: 76887 Fri Oct 24 03:39:44 -0400 2008

[Leafy Green Vegeta-
bles
]

Level 35 Hacker

Herbaceous, biennial, dicotyledonous , and flowering.

KindFearlessLeader Posted:

To be accurate, the top ‘tier’ hacker attack was Avtr, with a refresh of 1, a cost of 10, and an attack of piddling 100-110. Prior to nerf, this was the comparison one as I recall around 200-ish attack or more. It merely got nerfed so much, the second most powerful one became that powerful one.

Yeah, I mostly moved avtr out of the top tier because now it, quite frankly, isn’t very good. You mostly use it (along with a bevvy of other low refresh skills) to give you time while ipz, 404, and recipe refresh.

Evil Trout Posted:

Additionally, we are going to be using a different metric for speedrunning, something like turns used instead of time.

Hopefully this will be heavily dependent on clbum, since I can only use ipz and recipe (my only 200 power+ attacks) every 6 and 8 turns, respectively. Log in to see images!

DEAD fabulous person

Avatar: 21099 Wed Jul 08 18:09:49 -0400 2009

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 35 Camwhore

AAA++++!!! WOULD BUY AGAIN!!!

I hope scoop awards won’t be completely based on clbum because that would really overpower Permanoobs and Re-Res.

pieyum

Avatar: 104284 Thu Jan 22 21:59:47 -0500 2009

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 33 Hacker

“01001000 01000001 01011000”

You guys are also forgetting about one of the most underpowered things hackers have the starter pack.

Hacker

luck+2

ego+10

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Trolls

Defence+8

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Emo Kids

Charisma +1

Offense +4

Defense +3

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Camwhores

Charisma +5

Offense +1

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Compared to the rest hackers starter packs don’t give anything

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

Emos definitely have the best starter pack

I’d actually prefer emos to have no extra Defense given with starter packs, because it totally undermines our main strength.

Andy_Dextruss

Avatar: 50228 Wed Apr 08 07:39:40 -0400 2009

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 37 Troll

Orgasm changer who shoots rays through computer screens

It should be more like this;

Hacker

luck+2

ego+10

pp+25

offense+1

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Trolls

Defence+8

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Emo Kids

Charisma +1

Offense +4

Defense +2

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Camwhores

Charisma +5

Offense +1

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

The Girl Wit-
h Mad Skillz-
Yo

[Homosexual Goose M-
afiosi
]

Level 35 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

I think trolls, emos, and camwhores are fine. I mean yes, we can pwn the toughest forums at the level cap (most of us) but we could do Coral Springs at the end of Ep 1 without much trouble too. Hackers need to be fixed that’s all. The refresh rate really kills them.

KindFearless-
Leader

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Possibly a Cabbage Posted:

Oh avtr is totally horrible, but I think that accents the problem really Log in to see images! KindFearlessLeader edited this message on 02/23/2009 11:49AM

KindFearless-
Leader

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Evil Trout Posted:

Some good stuff in this thread!

I came in here to post that we have decided (a couple of weeks ago actually) to finally split up most leaderboards based on clbum. We’re going to start with Speedruns.

These changes aren’t coming this week, but they’re in the pipeline.

Cool beans, ET.

I have to admit though, the reason I at least never toss up turns as the easy solution is that (aside from number of threads) I don’t think there’s much variance between players of the same level on the same forum. Additionally, it’s almost too deterministic. If it was number of turns or actions taken, each forum’s speed run becomes “Look for min threads, kill each thread in 1-2 actions.” Or at least, it does in the environment where an average thread is not taking more than 2 actions (Most top clbum forums) or only 1 (most everything else) and that action can be spammed repeatedly. Even if it couldn’t be spammed repeatedly, the ‘idea order’ would quickly be defined for each clbum and forum, so that instead speed running is “Press ability 1,2,4,3,5, repeating”.

Either way, I think too deterministic and basically min thread based beats the current version hands down.

KindFearless-
Leader

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

pieyum Posted:

You guys are also forgetting about one of the most underpowered things hackers have the starter pack.

Hacker

luck+2

ego+10

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Trolls

Defence+8

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Emo Kids

Charisma +1

Offense +4

Defense +3

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Camwhores

Charisma +5

Offense +1

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Compared to the rest hackers starter packs don’t give anything

For context, technically, that’s partially equipment balanced. Look at Hacker top tier equipment versus theirs. Hacker top tier primary equipment gives an awe inspiring +60 off, +60 def, +40 luck. About 400 upgrade points worth of stats.

Comparetively, the troll’s best primary equipment is +10 off, +35 off. About 135 upgrade points worth of stats. Outside of that, both clbumes equip pretty much the same secondary equipment (varied for their build needs).

so add in the points from the bonus pack (x4): Hackers add a meger about 10 upgrade points really (Rounding the +40 ego to 2). Trolls add an astonishing 96 points.

but sum those:

Hackers: 410

Trolls: 231

And it becomes fairly obvious that hackers should be killing trolls, and last I checked, statistically they really do. It’s largely their ridiculously weak and refresh ridden attack and their equipment based processing power set that holds them down in spite of pretty much having a huge base of stat points. Their equipment actually ends up producing lower upkeep costs since each one works off a lower cost base and the other clbumes have equipment costing four times as much. Having easier processing power (as another suggested) would really help them tons, but their starter pack looks pretty sensible in context of their primary equipment being vastly better on the stat front.

other fun numbers:

Summing the off and def on my hacker vs my troll: Troll 260 vs hacker 303. 43 stat points of difference, and they’re both pretty heavily into offense and defense. That’s nearly the trolls Primary Equipment value right there.

Felix_Aureli-
us

Level 26 Hacker

“1337”

Actually, something I found interesting about speedruns was the pressure to do EVERYTHING fast. While it’s really dependant on server load, which is bad, it’s actually somewhat unique in that it makes you perform every action faster. While having it be dependant on server time alone is a bad idea, if it’s too deterministic, then we get into the problems previously stated.

Why not have speedruns be based on a “points” system? For example, beating the forum in a time under a certain threshold nets you a maximum of 10 points, minimum number of moves versus threads gives you a maximum of 15, et cetera.

Heath Ledger-
s Ghost

Level 34 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

Nicco Posted:

My Emo deals about 5500 damage with Everybody Hurts when his Ego is below 30. I deal about 4300 damage with Political Flamebait.

Mind if I ask what your base ego/offense are? I’ve been trying to figure out which is more important and flamebate searching isn’t serving me so well.

Nicco

Avatar: 24745 2011-07-31 00:34:23 -0400

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Troll

Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco

Heath Ledgers Ghost Posted:

Mind if I ask what your base ego/offense are? I’ve been trying to figure out which is more important and flamebate searching isn’t serving me so well.

If you’re trying to pwn Geronimo! just dump all your upgrade points into Offense. My emo has 151 offense and 335 ego.

Heath Ledger-
s Ghost

Level 34 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

Nicco Posted:

If you’re trying to pwn Geronimo! just dump all your upgrade points into Offense. My emo has 151 offense and 335 ego.

I guess I’m more looking for a way to do lvl 35s sans consumables, if such a thing is feasible.

Dirt_E_ATM

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

quangntenemy Posted:

It’s not because of the imbalance. Even as a troll I still have to avoid speedrun jobs as much as I can, because many of them are impossible. And oddly enough a camwhore is topping it Log in to see images!

Out of curiosity, who is successfully completing speedrun jobs regularly? And what clbum(es) are you using to do so?

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!