Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Web Games Clbum Balance at the Level Cap: How much do we really care?

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Dirt_E_ATM Posted:

Out of curiosity, who is successfully completing speedrun jobs regularly? And what clbum(es) are you using to do so?

I do. As me. Making sure I only take them on forums of a lower level than I am.

Fortunato

Avatar: 72902 2010-02-03 18:45:17 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

ZOMBIE CANNONBALL OF GORE

I personally must say I would really look forward to a speedrun formula based on turns instead of time. It would add a very interesting strategic aspect and I for one would be fascinated to see which clbumes ended up being the best.

quangntenemy

Avatar: 14557 2011-10-31 11:07:55 -0400

[WeChall]

Level 69 Troll

:ronpaul: :****ing sucks:

Evil Trout Posted:

Additionally, we are going to be using a different metric for speedrunning, something like turns used instead of time.

I suggest that you do balance test on that thing first. I have a strong feeling if you do it this way we’ll see lemon scoops distributed like this for level 3x forums:

3 scoops: good speedrunners with pink floyd

2 scoops: average speedrunners with pink floyd

1 scoop: crappy speedrunners with pink floyd

SimplyTHEBEST

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

Optimal clbum equipment:

Red Strap-Ons™

* Max Sexiness +75

* Offense +5

* Defense +5

* Luck +5

Professor Tightly’s Old-Fashioned™ Corset

* Max Sexiness +250

* Charisma +7

* Luck +7

* Defense +7

Glbumes are no longer relevant as they are actually cheaper to buy at auction than the store for a person of average frugality.

Starter pack:

Who’s That ****?™ Starter Pack

* Charisma +5

* Offense +1

Total bonus: +9 offense/+12 defense.

Compare this to Trolls:

Tumorous Kidney

* Max Douchebaggery: 600

* Offense: 10

* Defense: 35

You Little ****™! Starter Pack

* Defense +8

Total bonus: +10/+67

Trolls have insanely high base damage, and the low offense granted by their Eq doesn’t make a lot of difference once you factor in .moar files. The high defense just means that they can put fewer points into egomania than other clbumes, and don’t need to spend as much time healing.

Emokids:

Lobe Stretching

* Max Tears +325

* Offense +8

* Defense +8

Nautical Star

* Max Tears +225

* Offense +5

* Defense +5

First Cut is the Deepest™ Starter Pack

* Charisma +1

* Offense +4

* Defense +3

Total bonus: +29/+25

Emokids start off with mediocre DPR, but their damage bonus to damage quickly boosts their output. They are the only clbum that can’t wear glbumes, but if they could it would be enough to make them unquestionably the most powerful clbum.

Hackers:

Beast0r High-Speed Cables (x4)

* Defense +15

* Offense +15

* Luck +10

Total bonus: +60/+60

Hackers can get enough PP from .moar files to make up for using x4 cables, and they don’t have to sacrifice much (if any) offense to do it. That gives them a serious stat advantage that more or less offsets their low base attack power.

——

I’m pretty certain that I have close to the best equipment known to exist in the game, both for my clbum and in general, and I STILL can’t manage to kill a thread in CC or ESFE in less than three rounds (At least, not without leaving my HP so low that I get killed in 1-2 hits).

I think it’s safe to say that camwhores are pretty mediocre at this point; average base damage combined with the lowest stat boosts make for a weak contender. The fact that charisma is capped so harshly has made it so that they don’t even have the high income advantage they once did; worse still, they are the only main clbum that still needs to but ego restoratives, and the significant cut that makes into their profits and makes them the least profitable clbum! Camwhores need a buff. Maybe bringing their best attacks up from 225/200 to 250/225?

—-

The fix to hackers is to make their starter kit to give a bonus to egomania instead of to ego. That would make it useful at every stage of the game without ever being overpowered.

KindFearless-
Leader

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Not that I disagree at all with ‘camwhores underpowered’ conclusion…

But it’s way better to compare in full upgrade points. You’re sidesliding that you could take those points you’re getting in cha and ‘not’ upgrade them, instead spending the points you would spend in offense.

All stats can be compared pretty fairly by valuing them at their highest upgrade cost. Which yes, gives trolls a fantastic starter package since they get effectively 24 upgrade points each time for free.

I forget what cha is worth. I think it ends up a 3/point. Might be 2 per point in which case this is high. Both my clbumes can’t buy it actually.

Converting to points, that equipment is closer to 38 (red strap ons) + 49 (corset) + 18x4 (starter pack). This puts camwhores equipment+starter pack contributing around 159 upgrade points. A good deal less than trolls 231 and not even half of hacker’s 410.

The Suspender

Avatar: 70366 Mon Dec 29 00:40:55 -0500 2008

Level 24 Hacker

“Mafiaboy”

It might be telling to release a level 36-38 forum and look at the speedrun totals for it.

SimplyTHEBEST

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

KindFearlessLeader Posted:

Not that I disagree at all with ‘camwhores underpowered’ conclusion…

But it’s way better to compare in full upgrade points. You’re sidesliding that you could take those points you’re getting in cha and ‘not’ upgrade them, instead spending the points you would spend in offense.

You can’t upgrade cha. Even if you COULD, the cha cap seems to be around 20 cha. Since EVERY clbum can get +20cha for rollover with a few common and cheap .moar files, and cha has absolutely zero effect on combat, it’s a total non-issue.

KindFearlessLeader Posted:

Converting to points, that equipment is closer to 38 (red strap ons) + 49 (corset) + 18x4 (starter pack). This puts camwhores equipment+starter pack contributing around 159 upgrade points. A good deal less than trolls 231 and not even half of hacker’s 410.

Charisma can’t be upgraded, and is currently pretty much useless. Also, your logic kinda presumes that people WANT the stat they’re given. Emokids actually complain about the defense their equipment gives, since it makes them takes them longer to get to full strength.

Even if you COULD put points into it, I wouldn’t bother.

Anyway, luck is 1 point per point, so by your math the camwhore EQ and starter packs would give 75 upgrade points worth of stats.

Stats aren’t the only factor here, but yea, like I said, underpowered.

KindFearless-
Leader

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Fair enough, was unaware camwhores and emokids couldn’t buy it. I’m pretty sure the cha cap isn’t that low (again, it’d be a ridiculous pity given single items bring you over it), but that now shows Camwhores at having less than half the added upgrade points of trolls and less than a quarter of that of hackers. Not definitive, but definitely pointing to being significantly less flexible and capable.

Yes, that method of comparison does bumume that folks want the stats of their starter pack. But outside of tweaking for riding the min ego curve, having some defense is still of value to a balanced emo (since any time you don’t one shot a thread at min ego, defense provides a chance of riding it for free).

anyhow, I’ll shutup about clbumes I don’t play.

SimplyTHEBEST

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

It’s somewhere around there. If I max-out my cha with items (It’s 66 now in my CC/ESFE build, for refference) and hit the top 4 cred-giving forums then don’t get noticeably more from deliveries than if I intentionally tank my cha down to about 25. The luck cap seems to be closer to 50ish, but THAT also affects .moar drops. :/

Of course, I could also hit the apparent delivery limit by pwning crappier forums. I think things are just capped low all around.

—-

Balance improvements:

Hacker:

1: Make starter kit provide Egomania instead of Ego.

Camwhore:

1: Add Ep2 shoes to increase off/def.

2: Have charisma boost healing abilities (But not items) the same way that offense boosts attack power.

3: Reduce cooldown on It’s Playtime! to 1 round.

4: Increase Fetish Pics base damage to 250, increase Hand Bra base damage to 225.

Emokid:

1: Reduce defense bonus on tattoos and piercings, replace with ego or egomania.

Trolls:

1: Reduce base damage for Political Flamebait to 215. Reduce base damage for Shock Sites to 200. Reduce damage range for Post Personal Information from 150-180 to 130-160.

—-

Anybody have any opinions on these proposed changes?

SimplyTHEBEST edited this message on 02/25/2009 11:20PM

SimplyTHEBEST

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

Check that. Shoes need to provide a bunch of frugality points as well as the off/def boosts, as the new frugality system is pretty harsh on camwhores.

Call Me Diego

Avatar: 41721 2010-01-14 23:10:10 -0500

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Emo Kid

Boo!

SimplyTHEBEST Posted:

Anybody have any opinions on these proposed changes?

Yeah, egomania gives you ego. So I don’t know why you keep saying either/or.

Also, I pretty much disagree with everything else. Especially the emo starter pack thing.

SimplyTHEBEST

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

The Wandering Hypocrite Posted:

Yeah, egomania gives you ego. So I don’t know why you keep saying either/or.

Because giving somebody Ego gives them a fixed amount, while giving them Egomania gives them a bonus that’s proportional to how many upgrade points they spent on boosting their ego.

Shroomsday

Level 61 Camwhore

“Sergeant Slutter”

scullyangel Posted:

It doesn’t have a huge impact on Domination, the difference is 15 – 36 lemon scoops per week. It’s terribly annoying for the job board. I’ve been slogging away at the job board for awhile now (I’ll finally hit the 1800 peen this week), but I would have been able to finish as much as 3 weeks sooner had I been able to always select a 5 point job. Will that situation impact many players? No.

That’s one of things that kind of bothered me. Half the jobs available have times that are completely impractical. I don’t know if that’s any different for some other clbumes, but it just makes the ones there seem a bit pointless.

Otherwise, since I don’t really care about Domination much, it doesn’t matter a lot to me. None of the Forums are impossible to pwn. The game’s biggest problem is that is needs more multiplayer options. The process of pwning Forums seems like a neccessary evil for most.

Big Brother

Avatar: 45759 Fri Oct 17 23:44:23 -0400 2008

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

I like all your suggestions but the ones that nerf trolls.

I don’t care how much strengthened the other clbumes are, even if it makes trolls far less powerful then them. I just don’t like the feeling of being weakened.

Kilroy

Avatar: 62524 Fri Dec 26 00:25:59 -0500 2008

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

I understand that things do need to be balanced, but here’s the thing.

If you balance the clbumes too much, it won’t matter which clbum you are, because you’d be doing the same exact thing in the end.

That’s all I can really say. We need clbumes that aren’t overpowering one another, yes, but the clbumes do need to be diverse.

Possibly a C-
abbage

Avatar: 76887 Fri Oct 24 03:39:44 -0400 2008

[Leafy Green Vegeta-
bles
]

Level 35 Hacker

Herbaceous, biennial, dicotyledonous , and flowering.

Big Brother Posted:

I don’t care how much strengthened the other clbumes are, even if it makes trolls far less powerful then them. I just don’t like the feeling of being weakened.

This is an important point. All things being equal, nerfs are fairly discouraging, while buffing something, even something you never use or can’t use, never really ****es anybody off.

“Man, you made trolls suck now” is something that’s going to annoy people.

“Camwhores, Emos, and Hackers are a lot better now, but trolls are still really good” isn’t going to annoy anybody.

Especially since if you run into the problem where “everybody is overpowered” that’s definitely solvable by “making harder forums.” Make a forum with the damage output of Cosplay, the pwnage of Engrish, and the number of threads of Praypal and suddenly nobody is overpowered anymore.

Big Brother

Avatar: 45759 Fri Oct 17 23:44:23 -0400 2008

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

Possibly a Cabbage Posted:

Especially since if you run into the problem where “everybody is overpowered” that’s definitely solvable by “making harder forums.” Make a forum with the damage output of Cosplay, the pwnage of Engrish, and the number of threads of Praypal and suddenly nobody is overpowered anymore.

This. I want a harder forum.

Scary_Retard-
_6

[70 Character Story-
tellers
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

Kilroy Posted:

If you balance the clbumes too much, it won’t matter which clbum you are, because you’d be doing the same exact thing in the end.

This is why speedruns lemonscoops need to be based on your clbum’s best speed.

It makes domination equal and while re-res and permanoobs can get longer pistachio runs they can’t do that week in and week out so I feel it’s fair.

zagerblag

Avatar: 102042 Wed Jun 03 22:55:29 -0400 2009

[Board of Directors]

Level 35 Hacker

asdf

Kilroy Posted:

That’s all I can really say. We need clbumes that aren’t overpowering one another, yes, but the clbumes do need to be diverse.

The overall effectiveness of non-challenge clbumes should be as close to equal as possible. The diversity should lie in how you play them. Emos are a good example of this. “Too balanced” in effectiveness doesn’t exist.

Possibly a Cabbage Posted:

This is an important point. All things being equal, nerfs are fairly discouraging, while buffing something, even something you never use or can’t use, never really ****es anybody off.

“Man, you made trolls suck now” is something that’s going to annoy people.

“Camwhores, Emos, and Hackers are a lot better now, but trolls are still really good” isn’t going to annoy anybody.

I agree. I wonder how much attention CZ is paying to balance.

Dunatis

Avatar: 78885 2011-11-01 01:20:41 -0400

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

In the end, most of the competitive aspects of Forumwarz have little to nothing to do with the strength of an individual character. Speedrunning doesn’t really get you anything other than Lemon scoops but you can get scoops in enough other ways far better.

If they were all perfectly balanced, there’d be no point in choosing one over the other and in the end a Re-re can eventually pwn any forum so it becomes personal preference.

I’ll see what they do for episode 3 before worrying about any of it.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!