Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Business Suggestions for a Better ForumBuildr

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

So, I’ve seen a couple random ideas thrown around, but it seems like 99% of ForumBuildr has their collective heads stuck in their collective bumes.

Why don’t we consolidate the suggestions in one spot so we don’t keep repeating ourselves?

The suggestions I’ve heard of and support:

1. Eliminate downvoting.

It serves no purpose except to make people lose scoops and lose suggestions. Granted, while it does have the effect of removing crappy suggestions from the group, it also has the effect of letting a tiny number of people ruin someone’s chances early on. I’ve had forum suggestions with 150+ upvotes one week get downvoted to -5 within 4 minutes of submission the next week. Plus, half the time people downvote to give their submissions an extra advantage, which is unfair and distorts the purpose.

It’s just stupid. The same effect can be obtained by changing ‘downvote’ to ‘pbum,’ and still letting the top scorers win. Same goes for Hall of ****. If you allow downvotes, anyone who wants to get the Hall of **** peen can go and remove like 25% of someone’s votes by downvoting every submission they have.

Another option, that I would find better than it is now but not as effective as removing it, would be to increase the amount of downvotes needed for withdrawal to something like -10.

2. Make a minimum Buildr score necessary to allow people to submit Forum Ideas.

Most ForumBuildrs would agree with me that getting your idea chosen as next week’s forum is one of the toughest Buildr rewards to achieve. Therefore, if someone is incapable of getting even a small score of 5 (capable of achieving within a couple weeks), they’ll never be able to submit a winning forum idea.

Most forum material is submitted by the top few ForumBuildrs anyway, so it wouldn’t change much of anything. It would also prevent the problem of illegal alt voting, as we just witnessed with the first rendition of the Fran is Fat forum.

This will clear up most of the very special forum idea concepts, and give people more chance to dwell on the good forum ideas instead. If people get caught up in downvoting ideas, it’s more likely they’ll continue downvoting instead of stopping and reading the next one that pops up.

3. Better Flezz rewards.

The rewards used to be good, back when 5,000 Flezz could buy something. I propose simply adding an extra 0 on every one of the rewards. 50k for a forum is decent, and if you get 4-5 other submissions, that can add up as well.

I’ll add other suggestions as I hear them.

Shii edited this message on 01/12/2009 12:16AM

Fortunato

Avatar: 72902 2010-02-03 18:45:17 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

ZOMBIE CANNONBALL OF GORE

I like downvoting. Maybe remove or lower the downvoting elimination amount?

Also, the biggest reason I do buildr is for the peens. Not the flezz. Even if the rewards were greater it still wouldn’t match what I get from one set of high level forums.

Fortunato edited this message on 01/12/2009 12:12AM

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Sure, but not every ForumBuildr-user is a high level account. 50,000 flezz is a lot of money for the lower levels.

Also, that was another suggestion, maybe increase the downvote thing to -10?

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Or do you think there should be a change to the peens given, if that’s why most people play?

dobnits

Avatar: 58842 2010-01-24 16:19:10 -0500

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Troll

THE LEGENDARY PINK DOBS

Don’t change the peens. methinks in the end those still seem to be distributed to the most worthy ones.

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Yeh, I tend to agree. It’s rare I see peens given out that I’m like, wtf, no, they didn’t deserve that.

adorkable

[gurls r00l boyz dr-
00l
]

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

Maybe a ranked system, so certain categories require a progressively higher buildr score? I don’t feel like I’ve been around long enough to know precisely which ones get the most abuse except for the Forum Ideas category, but I suspect there are others as well.

Out of curiosity – do the icons for the avatars change from week to week at all?

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

There’s a standard log of pictures from which enemy avatars get pulled from. Like, I dunno, 150 or something, and you can search through them.

Enemy avatars are the easiest to submit quickly, so I think they get a LOT of newbie spam-crap too. ‘Course, it’s also one of the hardest Buildr peens to get, so maybe they’re from all the people stuck on it lol.

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

In the interest of increasing the quality of ForumBuildr, increasing the Flezz is a bad idea. Yes, its a crap reward, that’s good. Its just a token reward which helps draw the attention of people who submit ideas because they want forums to be good and funny, not because they just want money. When people only want money, the submissions are more sub-par (in general)- they will go for the easy jokes, the overused tired jokes you see in a majority of the forums, because they know these will get a lot of votes, thus be more likely to make it into the final forum. The same thing goes for the scoops as well.

Flezz, right now, is not really a motivation for playing forumbuildr, but scoops are. If we wanted to remedy this, something like changing the milestone at which you achieve scoops could be done. Like, instead of getting a scoops at every five votes, it could be ever ten or something.

Edit: In retrospect, I suppose its arguable that a higher reward would increase the competition for winning submissions; but I still think that tried, common place jokes would dominate.

Adapt edited this message on 01/19/2009 11:32PM

The Raven

Avatar: 93088 Thu Jan 01 19:28:12 -0500 2009

Level 14 Emo Kid

“Crybaby”

The leaderboard also needs fixing. Since the maximum number of points you can get in any given week is two, if the person at the top keeps submitting sincerely, it is literally impossible to pbum them unless they decide to turn around and stop increasing their score.

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Adapt Posted:

In the interest of increasing the quality of ForumBuildr, increasing the Flezz is a bad idea. Yes, its a crap reward, that’s good. Its just a token reward which helps draw the attention of people who submit ideas because they want forums to be good and funny, not because they just want money. When people only want money, the submissions are more sub-par (in general)- they will go for the easy jokes, the overused tired jokes you see in a majority of the forums, because they know these will get a lot of votes, thus be more likely to make it into the final forum. The same thing goes for the scoops as well.

Flezz, right now, is not really a motivation for playing forumbuildr, but scoops are. If we wanted to remedy this, something like changing the milestone at which you achieve scoops could be done. Like, instead of getting a scoops at every five votes, it could be ever ten or something.

Mm, true, but the scoops really aren’t that phenomenal. Like, my Buildr score is 19, and I might get like…100-120 scoops throughout the week. Considering you can get around 500 vanillas, or 200 pistachs, 70 antis, 60-70 lemons, the number isn’t very unbalanced. ESPECIALLY when you consider very few people are that good at ForumBuildr-ing.

So lowering scoop reward would likely drive off the few people left submitting good ones. Cuz honestly, I’m after the peens more than scoops.

Adapt

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

The Raven Posted:

The leaderboard also needs fixing. Since the maximum number of points you can get in any given week is two, if the person at the top keeps submitting sincerely, it is literally impossible to pbum them unless they decide to turn around and stop increasing their score.

I think this is a problem more inherent of the leader boards then this one specifically.

Adapt edited this message on 01/19/2009 11:35PM

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

The Raven Posted:

He actually stopped though. Plk is now only 1 point behind him. Anyway, a lot of times, people aren’t jerks and don’t leader-hog, especially now that number-with-peen doesn’t factor into length of the peen.

It’d be too heavily weighted towards the high-score people if they gave points per accepted entry, because I’ve had 7-8 at a time be accepted before, and that would mean the good people with even HIGHER score would be able to have probably 20-30 per week.

They’d be untouchable.

Adapt

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Shii Posted:

Mm, true, but the scoops really aren’t that phenomenal. Like, my Buildr score is 19, and I might get like…100-120 scoops throughout the week. Considering you can get around 500 vanillas, or 200 pistachs, 70 antis, 60-70 lemons, the number isn’t very unbalanced. ESPECIALLY when you consider very few people are that good at ForumBuildr-ing.

So lowering scoop reward would likely drive off the few people left submitting good ones. Cuz honestly, I’m after the peens more than scoops.

Every bit can count sometimes, I’m just going for the potential here; I guess the scoops aren’t that bad, but the flezz increase is still not a good idea.

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Eh. I suppose.

Blu3Schnauzer

Avatar: 16117 Sun Feb 22 17:55:30 -0500 2009

[Fetal Alcohol Pupp-
ets
]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

Shii Posted:

She actually stopped though.

Fixed. Log in to see images!

I am still submitting forum ideas as that is the only peen I lack, but anything else goes through my multi.

Shii Posted:

It’d be too heavily weighted towards the high-score people if they gave points per accepted entry, because I’ve had 7-8 at a time be accepted before, and that would mean the good people with even HIGHER score would be able to have probably 20-30 per week.

It did indeed used to be like that, which I believe is why it’s two points a week now. They changed it not long after I started using ForumBuildr.

Blu3Schnauzer edited this message on 01/20/2009 9:14PM

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Hey Blu3! Log in to see images! Apologies for the gender confusion, lol.

I’m still having trouble with Forum Ideas too, lol, so I feel your pain. I should get Design Guyz this week, hopefully; I’m saving 20 submissions for it after how abysmally poor I did last week lol.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!