Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Help Sup Tubsweetie. You got any experience with CRTs? Anyone else for that matter.

FalconFour

Avatar: 69421 Wed Aug 12 05:13:59 -0400 2009

Level 35 Troll

Minty Fresh

Posting in Ayn Rands as usual, hopefully I can get some useful input.

I’ve got a relatively new (only 10 years old – really, for me, that’s “new”Log in to see images! Compaq monitor that’s got a frustrating problem.

When I first got it, as part of a computer system to refurb and clean up (the PC as old as the monitor as well – that’s another story), it didn’t seem to work at all. But if I turned the brightness and contrast all the way up, I could vaguely see some text on the screen. Not “the screen”, but a small part of what should be the center of the screen, blown up to the full screen. For example, on the Windows 98 boot screen, all I saw was the Windows logo that’s in middle of the screen, taking up the whole screen, and very very dim.

Then it started fading out, very slowly… so slowly, I didn’t even notice it was fading. Until now – I can’t see any picture on the screen AT ALL. Maybe if I shut off the lights and see it in the pitch dark. But it’s ****ing dead.

What the hell? The CRT tube itself obviously didn’t die… I doubt it would be “zoomed” like that. I don’t get it. Is it the power supply part of the board that’s to blame?

Armed with only a simple multimeter (and a wattmeter), what can I do to try and diagnose this? Google is very unhelpful as usual with any sort of advanced-knowledge searches, always trying to dumb my search down to “what is a monitor” or “plug it in”.

Or maybe the tube did die. Then I’m ****ed.

Nicco

Avatar: 24745 2011-07-31 00:34:23 -0400

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Troll

Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco

request move general rp

SIG-ENABLING-
MOCK-CONGLER

Avatar: 50390 Tue May 26 17:55:44 -0400 2009

Level 35 Troll

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHHAAHAHAHAHAH

10 year old ‘new’ crt? what planet are you from?

quangntenemy

Avatar: 14557 2011-10-31 11:07:55 -0400

[WeChall]

Level 69 Troll

:ronpaul: :****ing sucks:

Just bring it to the comp shop and let the guy do his job Log in to see images!

FalconFour

Level 35 Troll

Minty Fresh

SIG-ENABLING MOCK-CONGLER Posted:

10 year old ‘new’ crt? what planet are you from?

Planet poor. I’ve got monitors that are 15 years old…

Okay, this one isn’t “new”. It’s “old”. But it’s not “ancient”. Also: new to me. Log in to see images!

SIG-ENABLING-
MOCK-CONGLER

Level 35 Troll

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHHAAHAHAHAHAH

10 years old is ancient for a crt, most of them live less than 4 years. also they dont even manufacture them anymore that i’m aware of, its all flatscreen now. as for fixing it, give it a smack on its side, then change the mhz to a higher setting. also if it has onboard controls try upping the bright/contrast

SIG-ENABLING-
MOCK-CONGLER

Level 35 Troll

if all else fails, buy a new one, this one was brand-new in the box for 50 bucks about 6 months ago, because theyre trying to get rid of the old crt stock everywhere

SIG-ENABLING-
MOCK-CONGLER

Level 35 Troll

also if you can manage to get the case off, hit the circuitboard with some canned air, it might be something simple like dust

FalconFour

Level 35 Troll

Minty Fresh

10 years old is ancient for a crt, most of them live less than 4 years. also they dont even manufacture them anymore that i’m aware of, its all flatscreen now. as for fixing it, give it a smack on its side, then change the mhz to a higher setting. also if it has onboard controls try upping the bright/contrast

I don’t even own a CRT that’s newer than 4 years… and I’ve got about 10 of them. Also, like I said, brightness/contrast is all the way up, not to mention the “freakishly zoomed picture” thing.

if all else fails, buy a new one, this one was brand-new in the box for 50 bucks about 6 months ago, because theyre trying to get rid of the old crt stock everywhere

Not my computer, and 50 bucks is a ****ing ton of money for me.

also if you can manage to get the case off, hit the circuitboard with some canned air, it might be something simple like dust

Got the case off hours ago, and hit it with my air tank (60 PSI is the highest I could hold the connection together to, until I replace the ****ing hose tomorrow). Also got off the tube end-board and tried reseating it (for some reason it was screw-banded down to the neck of the tube), no help at all. =\

I think it’s a failed component somewhere, but in my world, one failed component is never ever a reason to throw the whole thing away Log in to see images!

SimplyTHEBEST

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

You can try to change the vertical and horizontal to make it less horribly zoomed in, but I doubt that’ll actually do much. I suspect, for no reason at all, that the electron gun is too weak. It’s emitted electrons are less energetic than they should be, and so their trajectories are bent more by the magnetic fields and they don’t excite the phosphor as much. Also, the phosphor has probably been burned away from abuse.

It doesn’t really matter, since there’s nothing you can do to fix it at this point anyway.

Are you running a computer recycling center or something?

SIG-ENABLING-
MOCK-CONGLER

Level 35 Troll

i disagree, the thermal trans-doucher unit isnt flaggelating properly with the intermodial spasmoducer array, thereby jizzulating hypertrons into the goatselyzer, thereby inducing transmodulational weedmosities. yea

Fingerz

Avatar: 22863 2010-11-15 01:15:51 -0500

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 35 Emo Kid

A neverhasbeen

Damn, F4…you’re making me feel bad for throwing out my 4 year old CRTs when I got LCDs. Log in to see images!

Maybe Santa will send you something nice for Christmas!

Raepdog

Avatar: 57155 2011-07-31 00:44:38 -0400

[To Your Scattered -
Raepdogs Go
]

Level 35 Camwhore

We are foe.

Buying myself a new 30’’ lcd monitor myself. So I can have 3 monitors, 4 keyboards, and 36 mouses to my gaming rig with like suroundunderground sound set up.

SIG-ENABLING-
MOCK-CONGLER

Level 35 Troll

make a bolo for hunting with 3-4 lead-weighted mice

FalconFour

Level 35 Troll

Minty Fresh

SimplyTHEBEST Posted:

You can try to change the vertical and horizontal to make it less horribly zoomed in, but I doubt that’ll actually do much. I suspect, for no reason at all, that the electron gun is too weak. It’s emitted electrons are less energetic than they should be, and so their trajectories are bent more by the magnetic fields and they don’t excite the phosphor as much. Also, the phosphor has probably been burned away from abuse.

It doesn’t really matter, since there’s nothing you can do to fix it at this point anyway.

Are you running a computer recycling center or something?

Surprisingly, that actually fully makes sense (and for those of you who have no idea what it’s referring to, it’s not Star Trek gibberish either), and is something I was suspecting. No blown capacitors on the board…

I just wish I had another one of the same tube that I could test in that setup, see if it does the same with a known good tube.

Also… not running a recycling center or something (except maybe out of my apartment), I just absolutely hate throwing out something with maybe a blown capacitor or some****, that’s just $5 away from working like new again. =(

edit: The controls are through an on-screen display, too… so I can’t change the H/V controls when I can’t see the screen at all… not that it would help Log in to see images! FalconFour edited this message on 12/06/2008 5:42PM

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

give it a smack on its side

If this can’t fix it, nothing can

FalconFour

Level 35 Troll

Minty Fresh

BUMPING

TUBSWEETIE

Avatar: 3450 2011-07-31 00:45:06 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

MY MEMORY IS THAT OF A SMALL GRAPE

it’s too late at night for me to try and help right now.

sorry for not noticing the thread sooner.

i have ideas on this.

notameme

[9 VIBRATING bumPLUGS]

Level 17 Camwhore

“Attention Slut”

Its the CRT Tube, these Things get darker over Time.

The only possible Solution would be to Regenerate it,

there have been special Tools for this – many years ago.

I cant explain how this worked, they used High Voltage in a smart Way.

Its not really worth doing Research on this forgotten Art,

just throw it away.

Here is a Link on this Topic.

FalconFour

Level 35 Troll

Minty Fresh

Well, thing is, it didn’t really die over time, it’s not like the screen faded out this way… it was just, all of a sudden, one day, the screen “didn’t turn on” (so they say), but really, it was just really ****ing dim.

Love to hear tubs’ words on the matter… tubs knows his **** like serious. Plus he’s rich.

(protip: the more geek you speak to me, the more credible of a source you appear to be; therefore, if you know what’s going on, don’t dumb it down. Log in to see images!

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!