Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion

Viewing a Post

FalconFour

Avatar: 69421 Wed Aug 12 05:13:59 -0400 2009

Level 35 Troll

Minty Fresh

Posting in Ayn Rands as usual, hopefully I can get some useful input.

I’ve got a relatively new (only 10 years old – really, for me, that’s “new”Log in to see images! Compaq monitor that’s got a frustrating problem.

When I first got it, as part of a computer system to refurb and clean up (the PC as old as the monitor as well – that’s another story), it didn’t seem to work at all. But if I turned the brightness and contrast all the way up, I could vaguely see some text on the screen. Not “the screen”, but a small part of what should be the center of the screen, blown up to the full screen. For example, on the Windows 98 boot screen, all I saw was the Windows logo that’s in middle of the screen, taking up the whole screen, and very very dim.

Then it started fading out, very slowly… so slowly, I didn’t even notice it was fading. Until now – I can’t see any picture on the screen AT ALL. Maybe if I shut off the lights and see it in the pitch dark. But it’s ****ing dead.

What the hell? The CRT tube itself obviously didn’t die… I doubt it would be “zoomed” like that. I don’t get it. Is it the power supply part of the board that’s to blame?

Armed with only a simple multimeter (and a wattmeter), what can I do to try and diagnose this? Google is very unhelpful as usual with any sort of advanced-knowledge searches, always trying to dumb my search down to “what is a monitor” or “plug it in”.

Or maybe the tube did die. Then I’m ****ed.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!