Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Help Sup Tubsweetie. You got any experience with CRTs? Anyone else for that matter.

TUBSWEETIE

Avatar: 3450 2011-07-31 00:45:06 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

MY MEMORY IS THAT OF A SMALL GRAPE

Okay let’s do this.

I was thinking why it would go dim and lose its zoom clamp. The dim is because the electron gun isn’t doing its job. The zoom is because the horizontal and vertical coils aren’t doing their job.

What drives both of those? The Flyback transformer. 100% certain the flyback went out on it.

I’ve read that if a CRT fails it’s most likely to be the flyback regardless. Which makes sense because that transformer cranks the ~120 volts input to somewhere between 10 and 30 thousand volts. there’s a whole lot of really damn tiny wire in there that’s prone to burning out.

So, what to do about this…

Internet suggests adding more loops to the coil; impossible as any crt from the last 15 years is sealed.

Internet suggests doing some weird thing to revive the crt; sounds bs but here’s the link, see what you think: http://ezinearticles.com/?How-To-Restore-Picture-Tube-Without-using-a-crt-tester,-restorer-or-rejuvenator&id=548647

My suggestion is to replace the flyback; but that’ll be damn hard. You’d have to find an exact model AND get it off the board without ruining it or killing yourself. Flybacks have a circular pinout that’s ****ing hard to work with imo.

Then there’s also the inherent risk of playing inside a CRT to consider. The majority of the parts in there are extremely high voltage; the sort of stuff that’ll kill you instantly.

You could always pull the main red cable from the flyback off the CRT (ground off the CRT first, it’s a giant capacitor) and put it near a ground. Turning the thing on should show an arc about 1-3 cm long.

If it doesn’t arc then the flyback is confirmed dead.

If it does make a nice big arc, the electron gun or deflection coils are dead.

SimplyTHEBEST

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

TUBSWEETIE Posted:

You’d have to find an exact model AND get it off the board without ruining it or killing yourself.

That’s with it unplugged, mind you. People who actually know what they’re doing are hesitant to crack one of those ****ers open.

Vuron

Avatar: 4928 2011-07-31 00:39:10 -0400

[Team Shortbus]

Level 40 Emo Kid

Vile serpent! I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Repairing CRT screens is no longer cost-effective. The handful of people that still know what they are doing will just charge you an arm and leg to repair this crap. And unless you have alot of electronic repair technician experience I’d strongly suggest against doing it yourself.

While most CRTs have bleeder resistors to make sure that the residual charge in the capacitors are drained quickly those can always fail and you could be tinkering around with a CRT that has relatively high residual voltage.

TUBSWEETIE

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

SimplyTHEBEST Posted:

That’s with it unplugged, mind you. People who actually know what they’re doing are hesitant to crack one of those ****ers open.

Of course. But if the flyback is disconnected from the actual tube it should be much safer. i didn’t mention that it’d be wise to short all the pins on the flyback before removing it because I was waiting for falcon to respond about it.

TUBSWEETIE

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

Vuron Posted:

Repairing CRT screens is no longer cost-effective. The handful of people that still know what they are doing will just charge you an arm and leg to repair this crap. And unless you have alot of electronic repair technician experience I’d strongly suggest against doing it yourself.

While most CRTs have bleeder resistors to make sure that the residual charge in the capacitors are drained quickly those can always fail and you could be tinkering around with a CRT that has relatively high residual voltage.

Good point. Finding a replacement flyback or whatever is involved in fixing isn’t worth it for an old CRT.

And yes, i haven’t stressed enough that CRTs are the most lethal shock-dangerous electronics you’re likely to ever play with.

FalconFour

Avatar: 69421 Wed Aug 12 05:13:59 -0400 2009

Level 35 Troll

Minty Fresh

Damn, I never suspected the flyback transformer. I knew what it was, but I thought it was like a, you know, transformer... that’s solid-state, and never dies, but then again, why the **** would something solid-state have controls for focus and screen on it? So that does rather make sense. And I’ve heard they’re ****ing expensive. I get my parts from mouser.com, and I’m p sure that’s going to be one of those infamous “non-stocked” or “on order” parts that’ll take 3 months to ship. Log in to see images!

Yeah, I’ve worked with the dangerous/lethal parts of CRTs in the past, I’ve swapped tubes and such (discharging the, uh… clip under the suction cup… by grounding a screwdriver and slipping it under the cup).

Now, I always thought that the electron gun (hm) was the one responsible for making that high voltage… you sayin’ that the high voltage actually travels through the transformer, to the neck of the tube, and to the screen, in a full loop? Or does the flyback transformer merely maintain a high voltage across the front of the screen to catch the electrons or some****? That’s where I don’t get it now. Log in to see images!

TUBSWEETIE

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

The flyback makes a bunch of different high voltage outputs. The highest(?) voltage goes to energize the entire tube, then there’s some that go to drive the horizontal and vertical coils, then some more, higher current voltage to drive the coil. I think that’s how it works. My flyback from a dell 17” crt has four big red wires out the top for the super High voltage, i think one went to each of things i listed.

I’m not sure on what the high potential through the suction cup actually does. Time to check howstuffworks.com…

TUBSWEETIE edited this message on 12/09/2008 5:59PM

Fingerz

Avatar: 22863 2010-11-15 01:15:51 -0500

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 35 Emo Kid

A neverhasbeen

bumpin’ for the memories

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!