Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Evil Trout It's Live Tonight - Forumwarz: The Rebalancing

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

It’s been 10 days since Forumwarz was last updated without a bug fix. That seems like forever in Internet time. Rest bumured, dear player, that tonight’s update is HUGE. It will be live probably before 11pm unless my server maintenance takes longer than I think.

I’m creating this thread because the update touches so much that I don’t want it to spam up my Site updates thread. Here is a list of everything new/changed:

Cool New Stuff

Threads now quote you when replying

You can now carry over visits on days you don’t play. Up to 2 days worth, or enough to satisfy people who only play at the office and miss the weekend.

Consuming an item results in a post

There’s more variety to the randomness in posts

Added tips for pwning tough forums, with a link when you die to help frustrated noobs.

New character, Haxlrose, with upgrade resetting service. First time is free.

The_****’s now has a sTalk based Roids store.

Added Plum Computers, which didn’t make launch for some reason even though it was fully complete.

Bug Fixes

Doctor O, Krystal now go offline after their AFK messages

If DrrtyCop is hiding your contacts and you get a new one, the new one will be hidden too.

Deliveries can no longer be doubled up through a race condition

You can no longer spam a last attack in after you die, you cheaters.

Item related Changes

Drugs are more expensive across the board

Plum computers break less frequently

Low level anti-depressants are more effective

Expensive Sunglbumes break a lot less

Nutmeg is more effective

Androst is more effective

Overall Balance Changes

DrrtyCop comes later in the game, so that you don’t have two money sink ‘quests’ in a row

Most low/medium forums are weaker

Early levels take a little more cred to advance

Offense is no longer additive, so low level attacks never become many multiples of their attack.

Defense upgrades are now the same price as Offense Upgrades.

Defense is a much more useful stat than it was before, completely new formula.

Camwhore Changes

Coverwhore now recovers 15 sexiness instead of 8

Post Bra show now uses 2 sexiness

Prepubessence now recovers 25 sexiness instead of 20

Vivid Description of Sex now costs 5 sexiness instead of 6

Contact authorities now costs 6 instead of 8, is available at level 7 instead of 8.

Increased gift bonus for Charisma

Pump me up gives more Ego, costs less sexiness, can be cast more often, stacked and the buff gives more offense

Trolls

Fap lasts 9 turns now

Spoil costs 1 more douchebaggery, slightly more effective

Ascii art is slightly more effective

Annoying Text costs 2 more douchebaggery, slightly more effective

Insult costs 1 more douchebaggery

Emo

Self Mutilate has been nerfed to +2 Defense instead of +5, Only recovers 10 ego instad of 20

Low ego attack bonus is less effective (for all such attacks)

Whine about parents takes 2 more tears, is now attack 9 instead of 6

Whine about school takes 1 more tear, now attack 12 instead of 15

Depressing poem is now attack 15 instead of 20

Whine about Girlfriend is now attack 20 instead of 30

I have issues is now attack 25 instead of 40

Many players may wish to reset their upgrade points now that the game balance has been shifted. Early on in the game you will gain access to the Haxlrose character who will change it for free. The first time is free, after that the costs increase.

We can hardly wait until you try out the new balance and let us know what you think! The major things we were trying to address were:

– Too many items were required to beat forums
– Emo Kids were too powerful
– Levelling up wasn’t always a smooth curve
– Camwhore and Troll had some bumps in their progress

Kitsune

[Suicide Pact]

Level 10 Emo Kid

just a fox trapped in a boi's body

As an Emo player, it’s makes me kinda sad that our redicously high power is being reduced… but ‘tis for the greater good. Log in to see images!

Flayer

[Camwhore Love]

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

Excellent. I hadn’t logged in for a few days but seeing these changes i’ll be at again with my now hopefully balanced Camwhore!

The saving up of visits for a couple of days is great too because there is no longer that sense of pressure that you must log-in and play every day, and when the mood strikes you have plenty of forums to pwn.

Seerow

[Elitist Superstruc-
ture
]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Aren’t you worried improving “Pump Me Up” that much might overpower it a bit?

I mean, you’re increasing the healing and the buff and making it cheaper all at the same time. Camwhores had issues with being weaker sure… but that just feels like a bit too much to me.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Flayer

[Camwhore Love]

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

Seerow Posted:

I mean, you’re increasing the healing and the buff and making it cheaper all at the same time. Camwhores had issues with being weaker sure… but that just feels like a bit too much to me.

Geeze, this isn’t the roleplay forum. Leave your troll character behind.

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

Seerow Posted:

The changes may seem like a lot, but each one is only upgraded slightly.

Also the feedback up until this point has been that Pump Me Up really becomes useless in the higher levels. It’s not worth the time to cast for the benefits it gives you.

If we find that the ability is too good it can be adjusted in the future. Time will tell Log in to see images!

ProfeSsoRCHI-
ld

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

With the decrease to the attack buff on low ego, will it still be a noticeable increase? No more doubling/tripling of damage, yeah, sure, but a couple extra points of damage may not be worth it…

Another thing that could be done to nerf emos would be to make the forum damage much more random, so that we might be tempted to risk going lower than we should.

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

ProfeSsoRCHIld Posted:

With the decrease to the attack buff on low ego, will it still be a noticeable increase? No more doubling/tripling of damage, yeah, sure, but a couple extra points of damage may not be worth it…

Another thing that could be done to nerf emos would be to make the forum damage much more random, so that we might be tempted to risk going lower than we should.

It should be noticeable yeah, it’s about 20% less effective, not to mention the attacks have been nerfed too.

Man, you Emo kids were strong Log in to see images!

InsertCoins

[Team AWESOME]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Is it supposed to have been entirely implemented now ?

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

Yup, all the changes should be in place. Does something appear missing?

Seerow

[Elitist Superstruc-
ture
]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Evil Trout Posted:

Seerow Posted:

The changes may seem like a lot, but each one is only upgraded slightly.

Also the feedback up until this point has been that Pump Me Up really becomes useless in the higher levels. It’s not worth the time to cast for the benefits it gives you.

If we find that the ability is too good it can be adjusted in the future. Time will tell Log in to see images!

Well I’m comparing it to fap. As from the sound of it, the buff amount is now the same (as fap was only one better to start with), the cost is probably still slightly more, but you gain healing, so every turn you use it is a stalling turn. Now you can also use it more often (it was usable every 3 turns before I think, so every 2 turns now I guess?) so every other turn you shrug off a full hit from the forum, and get +3 offense. (since the overlap stacks, then casting it every other turn doesn’t hurt you at all until you get near the end of the forum, at which point you’re better off using up your 10-20 stacked turns and blowing through it in one steady stream)

Since you’re shrugging off that hit, that makes it better than fap in terms of action cost (with fap you’re losing hp every time you cast it without dealing something in turn. With Pump Me Up, it’s essentially trading sexiness for offense instead, and maybe some healing if the forum is weak enough compared to your defense), the same in effect… so the balancing factor is Sexiness vs Ego.

While Camwhores are often strapped for sexiness, a lot of your changes have been to alleviate that, while making douchebaggerie more valuable to trolls. So it seems to me that either this skill is overpowered, or Trolls need something of a better buff.

Not saying change it now, we can definitely wait and see, I’m just giving my two cents on why the changes could potentially be unbalancing. It’s just a lot of little factors that add together to make it essentially the best buff in the game to date.

Edit: So I missed that fap lasts for 9 turns now Log in to see images! Seerow edited this message on 11/28/2007 11:13PM

InsertCoins

[Team AWESOME]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Good job, but is this normal ?

Evil Trout Posted:

Defense upgrades are now the same price as Offense Upgrades.

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

^^^

oops!

I forgot to copy up the upgrade points table. I’ve adjusted the prices and made it so any resets can be done again for free.

Evil Trout edited this message on 11/28/2007 11:17PM

Flayer

[Camwhore Love]

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

Pump It Up is balanced ok I think. With the boost to effectiveness of defence the ego boost it gives is actually useful now but the extra offence it gives is actually less useful because you can’t boost the weaker attacks really high anymore. Overall it’s a decent defensive ability now with some pleasant but non-fundamental boosts to the attack, which I think maybe was the original plan for it (saving Camwhores money by giving them non-item healing).

Zenzirouj

[Didactic Existenti-
alism Dilettantes
]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY GAME I’LL NEVER FORGIVE YOU bumHOLES CROTCH ZOMBIE IS ****ING US AGAIN

It’s interesting to have my attacks doing so little damage. My best attack only does 50-60 at max ego and just 70-90 when my ego starts getting low. I guess us emo kids are no longer the godlike destroyers of forums we used to be. Not that I’ll bumociate with the peasant troll and camwhore riffraff, of course.

What’s also interesting is that even though I’m doing about half as much damage as before, I still only need 3-4 XR-XRs to pwn the last forum. I seem to be getting a lot more 0 damage hits, so the only difference is that I have to use an extra Girlfriend’s Cologne since pwning takes more attacks.

and evil trout would you please just give me the damn flezz e-peen already? I’ve been either 2nd or 3rd place for about 2 weeks now and the other two fine upstanding member of societyfabulous persons on top both have it already goddammit

Phlegmatic

[Pessimists]

Level 19 Troll

“Li'l Hellraiser”

Zenzirouj Posted:

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY GAME I’LL NEVER FORGIVE YOU bumHOLES CROTCH ZOMBIE IS ****ING US AGAIN

It’s interesting to have my attacks doing so little damage. My best attack only does 50-60 at max ego and just 70-90 when my ego starts getting low. I guess us emo kids are no longer the godlike destroyers of forums we used to be. Not that I’ll bumociate with the peasant troll and camwhore riffraff, of course.

I do 70 damage maximum with a fap-amplified yo momma, so you’re still the leaders in raw damage.

Zenzirouj Posted:

What’s also interesting is that even though I’m doing about half as much damage as before, I still only need 3-4 XR-XRs to pwn the last forum. I seem to be getting a lot more 0 damage hits, so the only difference is that I have to use an extra Girlfriend’s Cologne since pwning takes more attacks.

Yeah, that happens to me a lot to. Apparently luck is now the overpowered stat, not offense. Balancing an online game is essentially a round of whack-a-mole.

WantonSpoon

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

This could take some getting used to, but I must say it looks like I’m going to have to put more thought into my attacks from now on. Previously, I had waaay more tears than ego, but as of my latest R.P. Genius run the two bars have been pretty close together, percentage-wise. (Although I’ve been putting more upgrades into ego than tears, as you can imagine.)

One thing though: I already couldn’t tell if Self-Mutilate was having any effect on my defense, and now there’s even less of a bonus in that area. Was that move not intended to be used past the first few levels or something?

DemonMage

[Prettiest Unicorn -
Squad
]

Level 17 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Is there a point to Self Mutilate now? Before it was… so-so early game, now it’s of questionable use even there. Let alone any longer. Only reason I took it with my respec is because it’s required for one of my attack lines. Using it in the Headbangers to test out how much less damage going from 5 to 7 defense gets me… is underwhelming at best. I don’t seem to get a decrease in damage at all. Still 10-13 on average, with an occasional 9 or 14. Doesn’t seem to net me more 0 damage eithers, which I imagine come from luck.

DemonMage edited this message on 11/29/2007 12:28AM

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

Phlegmatic Posted:

Yeah, that happens to me a lot to. Apparently luck is now the overpowered stat, not offense. Balancing an online game is essentially a round of whack-a-mole.

Hah, I think you’re right about the whack-a-mole.

However what you’re noticing isn’t luck but defense. Not only does it dampen attacks, but it causes enemies to miss more often (the help page has been updated with this info)

DemonMage

[Prettiest Unicorn -
Squad
]

Level 17 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

So what’s luck good for then? =-p

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!