Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Role Playing
Switch to Civil Discussion Role-Playing

Viewing a Post

SHODAN

Avatar: 56565 Thu Oct 16 09:19:29 -0400 2008

[Citadel]

Level 35 Hacker

Look at you, Hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone.

I was chatting with a colleague yesterday as we were both examining a site we’re developing. I wss experiencing fairly frequent response lag while he was seeing only zippy performance. I thought I’d restart Firefox to see if that made any difference. Wow, did it!

Over the past few weeks, I’ve been noticing that Firefox does seem to get sluggish if I leave it on for a day or more. My colleague says he regularly quits and restarts FF 2-4 times each day. He’s on Windows while I, of course, run a Mac life. I did some research and conventional wisdom at least seems to be that FF does not have what is called a “memory leak”, a fairly serious programming-related problem. Rather, it apparently just keeps stuffing recent pages into its memory for fast retrieval of frequently or recently visited sites. Eventually, it gets enough of these stored in RAM that it hurts its own performance.

I was unable to find any recommendations as to how big I ought to set that cache to avoid sluggish response while keeping maximum pages in RAM for quick retrieval. It is presently set at 50MB.

Next time my browser experience feels slow, I’ll try clearing cache rather than restarting the browser and see if I get a similar improvement. If you have any thoughts on this subject, please join my blog community and post a comment to this post or email me at dan at danshafer dot com.

I was chatting with a colleague yesterday as we were both examining a site we’re developing. I wss experiencing fairly frequent response lag while he was seeing only zippy performance. I thought I’d restart Firefox to see if that made any difference. Wow, did it!

Over the past few weeks, I’ve been noticing that Firefox does seem to get sluggish if I leave it on for a day or more. My colleague says he regularly quits and restarts FF 2-4 times each day. He’s on Windows while I, of course, run a Mac life. I did some research and conventional wisdom at least seems to be that FF does not have what is called a “memory leak”, a fairly serious programming-related problem. Rather, it apparently just keeps stuffing recent pages into its memory for fast retrieval of frequently or recently visited sites. Eventually, it gets enough of these stored in RAM that it hurts its own performance.

I was unable to find any recommendations as to how big I ought to set that cache to avoid sluggish response while keeping maximum pages in RAM for quick retrieval. It is presently set at 50MB.

Next time my browser experience feels slow, I’ll try clearing cache rather than restarting the browser and see if I get a similar improvement. If you have any thoughts on this subject, please join my blog community and post a comment to this post or email me at dan at danshafer dot com.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!