Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Web Games Domination re-work idea: Excellent Strategical Change or ****tiest Suggestion Ever?

kittiejenn

Avatar: 18080 2011-11-01 00:29:42 -0400

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 35 Emo Kid

So damn naughty it wraps back around to nice.

Pickled male reproductive organbum Posted:

unless you mean brainfreeze and enjoy, good omens is technically a small clan.

I don’t really consider 35 to be a small klan. And as far as I can tell, Brainfreeze has at most 42 actual people (and most of those are inactive).

kittiejenn edited this message on 06/09/2008 7:17PM

Pickled male reproductive organ-
bum

[Board of Directors]

Level 10 Camwhore

AHAHA HEADSETS

there are way less than 35, once you subtrack alts. (hence proof that alts make a small clan viable against a large clan)

I agree though, that alts shouldn’t be seeded into the same bracket as eachother.

Pickled Dickbutt edited this message on 06/09/2008 7:26PM

DEAD fabulous person

Avatar: 21099 Wed Jul 08 18:09:49 -0400 2009

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 35 Camwhore

AAA++++!!! WOULD BUY AGAIN!!!

there are way less than 35, once you subtrack alts.

In terms of domination you guys are pretty huge. Also, I wouldn’t consider enjoy a raiding klan atm. Give us a couple of days to organize for god’s sake, we’re five days oldLog in to see images!

bum

[Board of Directors]

Level 10 Camwhore

AHAHA HEADSETS

i can’t wait. Log in to see images!

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

Specific replies:

MC Banhammer Posted:

to balance the game so you can compete no matter what your playing ability is…

That thought will never encourage anyone to retain interest. People lose interest in playing games of luck fairly quickly. Anything that either brings the whole thing down to pure luck or pure math are equally bad.

MC Banhammer Posted:

The idea is: non-static pods. Or rather, non-static placement in pods.

I don’t know about this idea. It seems like everyone from one raiding klan would be together since they all will have roughly the same number of scoops. Klan members in the same bracket are an advantage not, a hindrance. This won’t result in players skipping scoops to stay in a different bracket, each week klannies will just alternate who gets medals. I don’t think it will help Domination as a game, although it would make solo players who are using alts to raid damn near orgasmic. The idea will also really appeal to the e-peen whores who only play Domination because there are e-peens to be won.

MC Banhammer Posted:

Next, allow only one alt per raid.

Less money for CZ and the potential for illegal alt abuse rising? I see the power of alts, if I didn’t I wouldn’t have purchased them. (What, you thought I was getting them because it’s super fun to run these forums for the 200th time?) I just think it’s naive to think the restriction would solve anything. It would simply make legit players like myself see no reason to get an alt, but rather turn back to the large klan raiding style we saw with Sisters and KoLOL. All it does is shift the problem to include a few more players, rather than solve it.

This is just a hard situation. Despite what the CZ team wants, this game doesn’t lend itself to klan interplay. Hell, unless you are already friends with other players, putting together a klan of any size is a trick. (Go check the klan section of Flamebate, go back pages and see which new klans have survived. Now ask yourself why the hell the klan forum is located in the role playing section. Different problem, I know, but it’s related. It’s almost impossible for a new klan to build any momentum unless it is started by an established, thick skinned regular.) Anyway, anyone who has done a vanilla raid knows it’s not terribly exciting. Things are being forced to try to get people to play like they are running an instance on WoW (I don’t play, but I’ve watched and I think I’m making an accurate comparison), and sitting and waiting for a forum to fall is never going to have the “get him!” feel. It is a task that must be completed to reach an end goal, it’s never going to be appealing to the mbumes. This is the crux of the problem.

MC Banhammer Posted:

Finally, disable raids and card-play against others immediately after the forum visits refresh on Wednesday.

We’ll all just set a clock and play it out then. Only then trolls and re-res will never again get a medal, since they won’t be able to use their 12 banked visits as effectively as emos and camwhores.

MC Banhammer Posted:

I can’t always play at end time, and I can’t use all my visits earned, and I don’t gamble — so what chance do I have against those who can? How can I earn 25-40 scoops and still feel competitive? Because I’m not now.

I really think this is a different problem, and shouldn’t be lumped in with the ‘lets fix these problems’ stuff. Can’t play at end time is one thing, and a serious consideration that impacts a lot of players. Now, if a player doesn’t gamble or use all their visits? Ummm, so you want to win without bothering to play at all? I would have sympathy if you had said you were running a carefully speeded pistachio loop and gambling max scoops daily, but christ on a crutch if you aren’t even trying to do what you can, how can you complain when those who do beat you? It’s not going to help narrow down the real problems if players who don’t have the time to play have to be ultimately catered to. I run PrayPal – the longest forum in the game – 4 times a day and gamble all 5 scoops, it never takes more than 20 minutes. If a player isn’t willing to put in 15 to 20 minutes in order to have a chance, well they aren’t actually playing are they? I had an unklanned alt accidentally win a medal a couple of weeks ago just running visits! It is not at all difficult to medal in the unmedaled or low medal brackets. As soon as this season pushes forward by a few more weeks that situation will resume.

Several things. As far as I can tell CZ makes money from ads and BPs. I don’t think that any suggestion that eliminates a source of income is actually going to be in the interest of the game.

I love you Banhammer, but we generally don’t let non-raiders leech scoops unless they are a visiting Mod. Log in to see images! If someone can’t stay for one particular raid, sure, but it’s generally accepted that they will be helping fellow klannies that week rather than pushing to medal. And anyone who doesn’t regularly contribute visits ends up booted.

I agree that a game needs to cater to the mbumes rather than the power players. Nothing has changed about the way Domination is being played, it just wasn’t hugely noticeable until the reset. Flinging the serious players back in with the dabblers was destined to create a certain amount of frustration for those players who had never dealt with that sort of aggressive play.

I know you keep mentioning that this isn’t about vanilla, take the vanilla discussion to the vanilla thread, but no one is complaining that lemon is a problem. People are complaining about klans and alts, and both serve up vanilla. It’s pretty clear that besides the Domination end time, the big issue is in fact klan vanilla. We all knew this was going to be the situation when anti-freeze was nerfed – it is the lesser of the two evils.

Honestly, new Domination cards are the only thing I can really see to alter how things play. Diluting the card pool, so that the min scoop/shield strategy is shaky at best. Coding things to make it impossible for alts to be in bracket together would also be a big help.

EDIT: The other quick fix is to simply raise the cost of The bumhole and The Shield. Leave them in the card pool with the other cards, but add an additional scoop cost – say 2 extra random scoops each when the card is played. This would force players to put scoops on the board and bring the price of these power cards in line with their effect. It would also make the min scoop/shield strategy a hell of a lot less solid, since every time a new shield was activated it would use 2 more scoops.

scully edited this message on 06/10/2008 4:13AM

Pluvius

Avatar: 10089 2010-01-24 16:29:03 -0500

[ClansRGay]

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

scullyangel Posted:

Several things. As far as I can tell CZ makes money from ads and BPs. I don’t think that any suggestion that eliminates a source of income is actually going to be in the interest of the game.

Really? I think a lot of games would be better if their developers were willing to risk losing some money to make them more fun.

EDIT: The other quick fix is to simply raise the cost of The bumhole and The Shield. Leave them in the card pool with the other cards, but add an additional scoop cost – say 2 extra random scoops each when the card is played. This would force players to put scoops on the board and bring the price of these power cards in line with their effect. It would also make the min scoop/shield strategy a hell of a lot less solid, since every time a new shield was activated it would use 2 more scoops.

This would make bumholes useless because you can only use them when you have a low number of scoops anyway. This would make Shields useless because if you take two scoops for every use, you would only get a benefit if you’re attacked by bumholes, which are generally only used on unshielded players.

bum

[Board of Directors]

Level 10 Camwhore

AHAHA HEADSETS

not to mention it would mean shields are useless against shotguns, thieves, and destroyers, since they’ll take the same, or more, scoops from you than the attack card would have

Xypher

Avatar: 43749 Wed Nov 12 09:54:31 -0500 2008

Level 36 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

Well currently shields are too too cost effective. For 4 scoops they protect you against every type of card. In contrast bumholes can destroy 10 scoops but they can only target the scoop leader and only when you have 3 or fewer cards. The result is that you tend to rely on shotguns and destroyers to break other people’s shieldwalls. Even if you stock up on them it’s unlikely you can break an effective shield wall at the end. Thus it comes down to who has the most modests and a reasonable number of shields at the last.

I’m not saying that scully’s idea is a great one but it would make turtling less desireable as a strategy.

Another option would be to reduce the chances of getting either bumhole or shield cards by a significant number. Maybe something like a 5% chance of getting either?

bum

[Board of Directors]

Level 10 Camwhore

AHAHA HEADSETS

a shield is only cost effective against an bumhole, otherwise you spent 4 scoops to stop someone from stealing or destroying 1-2 scoops.

so i disagree with xypher

Vuron

Avatar: 4928 2011-07-31 00:39:10 -0400

[Team Shortbus]

Level 40 Emo Kid

Vile serpent! I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Except they spent 4 scoops in order to purchase that destroyer or shotgun card. So they are at parity with you in terms of scoop expenditure.

Currently 4 scoops spent on a shield will negate any attack thrown at you. Considering you only raise your shields in the last 30 minutes or so of domination it’s a very effective defense.

In contrast shotguns, destroyers and thief cards are the only effective method of fighting min scoopers. Each of them cost 4 scoops and provide limited impact. The shotgun is non-directed so you can’t just pound one scoop color relentlessly. Thief cards can be useful but they only subtract one scoop. Destroyers simply aren’t useful for anything other than trying to blow through shieldwalls.

Unless the scoop/card economy changes dramatically the hang at 0 scoops and a huge number of cards will be the most effective strategy for reliably getting medals.

Some people like that form of gameplay some people loathe it. I think it’s up to CZ to determine if the haters outnumber the lovers.

Pluvius

Avatar: 10089 2010-01-24 16:29:03 -0500

[ClansRGay]

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

a shield is only cost effective against an bumhole, otherwise you spent 4 scoops to stop someone from stealing or destroying 1-2 scoops.

The four scoops are a sunken cost since you were going to buy a card anyway regardless of what it was. That’s the only reason Shields are worth getting even now.

Make a card that destroys a single random card in another player’s deck. It should probably be blockable by Shields. I honestly don’t know why this hasn’t been implemented yet; seems like a pretty obvious idea.

Ujuidar Ehcr-
am

Level 24 Camwhore

“The Lady is a Tramp”

So, a few ideas I had as I was reading this thread, so I’m just throwing them out there…

I’m not a fan of basing domination tiers on weekly progress. I could easily take a week off, netting me easy medals and preventing newbies from getting anything. An interesting idea might be to base the tiers on lifetime scoop count instead…

Also, perhaps instead of having a deadline for the cards, how about restricting usage as the end gets closer? For example, in the four hours before the end, you can only use one domination card, and a max of five total on Wednesday.

I don’t see the sense in having clanmates in the same domination group. Why not prevent that from happening?

Orb

Avatar: 33233 Tue Oct 21 12:46:08 -0400 2008

[70 Character Story-
tellers
]

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

Ujuidar Ehcram Posted:

So, a few ideas I had as I was reading this thread, so I’m just throwing them out there…

I’m not a fan of basing domination tiers on weekly progress. I could easily take a week off, netting me easy medals and preventing newbies from getting anything. An interesting idea might be to base the tiers on lifetime scoop count instead…

Also, perhaps instead of having a deadline for the cards, how about restricting usage as the end gets closer? For example, in the four hours before the end, you can only use one domination card, and a max of five total on Wednesday.

I don’t see the sense in having clanmates in the same domination group. Why not prevent that from happening?

I kind of like when klansmen are in the same group, as they can work together by taking out each other’s competition.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!