Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Pr0n Gasoline

Mudkips Acro-
nym

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

TheAlbatross Posted:

Even if it is just an energy carrier, it would still decrease CO2 emissions overall. Its nothing we could use for a short term fix cuz its expensive but eventually it will become readily available.

No it won’t. There’s not a bunch of hydrogen lying around. The only emissions that will be decreased are the ones from making the batteries. Even then, you have to build all the infrastructure for moving hydrogen, and you’re going to be pumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere to manufacture the cells.

Mudkips Acronym edited this message on 04/11/2008 12:06AM

BeBoBli

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

http://www.ssqq.com/ARCHIVE/images/dubai12.jpg

Jesus, what is this thing? Dubai is pimpin’

Also everyone ****ing about how the US has cheap prices by comparison, I want you to ask yourself how if you really need to ****ing drive. Most of Europe has it a hell of a lot better public transportation-wise. Where I live it’s impossible to get anywhere on anything other than a car. No public transportation, and I tried tried tried for a good half year to bike everywhere, but it’s simply a pain in the bum. When I biked to work everyday my fatbum co-workers showed not a sign of sympathy. In fact it could have been cluelessness. ‘People tired these days…? Don’t you have a car?’

BeBoBli edited this message on 04/11/2008 12:36AM

Sancdar

[Team Shortbus]

Level 50 Camwhore

LCC club

BeBoBli Posted:

Also everyone ****ing about how the US has cheap prices by comparison, I want you to ask yourself how if you really need to ****ing drive. Most of Europe has it a hell of a lot better public transportation-wise. Where I live it’s impossible to get anywhere on anything other than a car. No public transportation, and I tried tried tried for a good half year to bike everywhere, but it’s simply a pain in the bum.

It’s definitely true. I can spend twenty minutes walking and an hour on the bus and pay $3 or more, or I can use half a gallon driving for half an hour and pay like $1.90.

d35tiny

Level 12 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

BeBoBli Posted:

http://www.ssqq.com/ARCHIVE/images/dubai12.jpg

Jesus, what is this thing? Dubai is pimpin’

OMG they are totally crazy:

I have to sell my soul and get a place there Log in to see images!

finale

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Am I the only person not willing to trust information gotten through a geocities-level dance school’s website?

d35tiny

Level 12 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

If you refer to the Dubai pics, the project seems to be real enough, looking at their official site.

So DIE, non-believer Log in to see images!

finale

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

I stand corrected, only in part- I don’t disagree with the evidence, just the analysis and context. There’s a danger of ‘other’-ing these countries, much as we have other groups in the past. Only a part of the population benefits from the oil trade in those countries, same as here.

GRX Dragon

Level 7 Camwhore

“Training Broad”

evilhamster Posted:

Just in case you are curious where all your gas money is going:

http://www.ssqq.com/ARCHIVE/vinlin23dubai.htm

Yes, I know it’s a tl;dr, but you can just scroll down and look at the pictures to get the idea.

If I were to pick where my money could go to, I would no doubt pick Dubai/UAE… they’re the only worthwhile country worth saving.

And most of what you see going on there is old news, fyi…

Marcos El Ma-
lo

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

My personal solution is I bought a bike. No, not a woman's genitals bum bicycle. A motorcycle. I’m getting about 45 mpg and it costs $15 or so to fill up the tank. I get to split lanes in traffic, so I’m not stuck on the freeways for hours. Plus, my girlfriend likes the vibrations and that saves time on foreplay.

Longer term, I’m looking at going diesel/biodiesel. Algae derived bioD isn’t there yet, but for the moment used cooking oil is free. No need to modify the engine since I’m in So Cal (warm temps means no preheating necessary) and I’m the DIY type (I can set up filters and a centrifuge for removing debris and glycerides, making the vegetable oil into “real” diesel). Even when too many people catch on and used cooking oil is no longer available for free, I imagine it will still be cheaper than gasoline.

Corn ethanol is a boondoggle, and we’re getting raped twice, once when we subsidize it with our taxes and again when we pay higher prices for fud. It’s not helping the American Farmer, since there are no farmers left. It’s all Big Ag, such as Archer Daniels Midland that is benefitting from Corn Ethanol. Cellulose based ethanol might be a possibility, but ethanol in general has many drawbacks, regardless of its source. (Example: Can’t be transported by pipeline due to volatility, so it must be transported by truck or rail.)

One more thing: I don’t commute. I work either at home or near home. I buy local and locally produced when I can.

Oh, and one more thing I should mention about Bio D from algae. The production process is scalable, meaning an individual could make it in his backyard, you could form or join a neighborhood coop, small businesses can get in on it, various levels and branches of government can make their own, and yes, even big business conglomerates can participate. In other words, Big Oil would be ****ed and we’d win.

Marcos El Ma-
lo

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

d35tiny Posted:

OMG they are totally crazy:

I have to sell my soul and get a place there Log in to see images!

Where the ****ing hell is the Arctic? Have they already written off the Articians? I know some Polar Bear Furries that will weep.

GRX Dragon

Level 7 Camwhore

“Training Broad”

Marcos El Malo Posted:

Where the ****ing hell is the Arctic? Have they already written off the Articians? I know some Polar Bear Furries that will weep.

We sand devils don’t believe in the artics.

ben-xo

[Team Shortbus]

Level 33 Troll

“Permafail”

TheAlbatross Posted:

As you know, gas prices are absolutely rediculous. Im not all that educated about the subject but is there any way prices will come down? Someone i know suggested drilling in Alaska. Is that feasible?

1) “ridiculous”

2) No, there is absolutely no chance they will come down, ever.

3) Even with prices “sky high”, you pay half what I pay for gas as it is – try driving in England some time and then feel the pain of gas. (hurr hurr.)

The real problem here is that fossil fuels are running out and CO2 is causing global warming. Your viable choices are as follows:

SHORT TERM:

* when you do drive, carpool, and get gas money off your pbumengers.

* if you usually drive to work, work from home as often as possible.

* buy a smaller car – ditch that SUV, it makes the rest of the world cry (where I live, you get taxed extra if you own an SUV). Lighter cars take less gas to drive (it’s simple physics)

* buy a more efficient car. Get a diesel or hybrid.

MEDIUM TERM:

* lobby your state for better public transport.

* consider taking public transport (especially if you live in a city). If you “don’t do public transport” because that’s what poor people use, then YOU ARE A fabulous person AND YOU CAN PAY EXTRA ON YOUR GAS AND LIKE IT.

* move closer to where you work / work closer to where you live. Living a long drive from work was always only a luxury that you could only afford because gas is cheap. 90% of the world lives within walking distance of their workplace, but there are other options, like riding a bike.

LONG TERM:

* when you consider getting in your car, if the trip is going to be less than 20 mins, then don’t drive it. Walk, or ride that bike! Short car trips and city driving account for 50% of pollution in the US. Oh, and this will stop you being a lard-bum at the same time.

* Generally, just travel less. Seriously. Americans drive 2x more than anyone else in the world and 30% comes from living in neighbourhoods that were designed on the bumumption that gas would be cheap forever (oops!)

* if you live somewhere that driving less is totally impractical (e.g. in the middle of ****ing nowhere) and you can’t afford to pay more for gas, YOU WILL HAVE TO MOVE.

* if you do a job where you have to drive a lot, YOU WILL HAVE TO CHARGE YOUR CUSTOMERS MORE AND THEY WILL HAVE TO LIKE IT.

Remember, gas is not the only thing that relies on oil… the plastics industry does too. If they drill in Alaska and bring up some more oil, it’s not going to bring gas prices down, it’s just going to slow the rate that they go up. Eventually, we’ll all be using electric cars because gas will be totally uneconomical. Don’t worry, electric cars will be “as good as” gas powered cars by the time they get popular.

ben-xo

[Team Shortbus]

Level 33 Troll

“Permafail”

BeBoBli Posted:

Also everyone ****ing about how the US has cheap prices by comparison, I want you to ask yourself how if you really need to ****ing drive. Most of Europe has it a hell of a lot better public transportation-wise. Where I live it’s impossible to get anywhere on anything other than a car. No public transportation, and I tried tried tried for a good half year to bike everywhere, but it’s simply a pain in the bum. When I biked to work everyday my fatbum co-workers showed not a sign of sympathy. In fact it could have been cluelessness. ‘People tired these days…? Don’t you have a car?’

As a eurofabulous person, it’s really hard to have any sympathy for the situation that the US has gotten itself into by bumuming that gas will always be cheap and plentiful and that it’s really OK for half the population of the country to drive 30 minutes a day to their work. I don’t hate on anyone in particular, because I know it’s not your fault that the world is not continuing to match up to the way you were led to believe it would be when you were brought up, and I know it’s not your fault you were brought up somewhere that requires a car. But the situation as a whole is ludicrous and it WILL change with time – it’ll have to. Ultimately that means bringing the work out to you, or you moving closer to where you work – either or. Your country is founded on the idea of free enterprise, so public-transport’s only going to improve when it becomes so expensive to run a car that people need a viable alternative. Sucks2BU. See my above guide for dealing with that situation.

Even with our REALLY-sky-high gas prices in England it’s still cheaper to drive to many places if you have a pbumenger compared to getting the train, although the train’s a lot more comfortable. (London’s the main exception: it’s usually cheaper and almost always quicker to get the train in to central london than to drive, like it is in New York, except London’s 4x the area of NYC).

I don’t drive, because I live close to central London, but ironically I mbumively pollute because I get like 12 or more flights a year due to DJ commitments. I guess that’s not going to last too long either…

Moocowguychow

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

The fact that america is built around cars, we have shot ourselves in the foot over public transportation in most large cities. The transportation system here is decent but not really great. Have to walk a 1/2 mile to catch a bus, blame urban sprawl and crappy land developers making one outlet roads into subdivisions. You forget other things about cars such as insurance, maintenance, that add more to the costs of driving. Also 1.50-1.70 of your gas is probably taxes too, maybe more. Oh, and the days of getting a 9 dollar oil change are over. I bet they start costing 30-40 bucks. I won’t leave on a pessimistic note though. Read this, but then again if it proves true, the next generation will be in our mess.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?pageId=61488

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!