Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Poll Do you believe in Evolution?
Poll: Do you believe in Evolution? Feel free to elaborate on your position in a post.
You must be logged in to vote.

Sergeant Cid

Avatar: 167814 2011-07-31 00:46:27 -0400

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Scientifically Proven Terrible fabulous person..... Evidence shows mbumive build up of semen deposit in bum.

Overall, I’ve found that most of FWZ users are fairly intelligent, so I figured that this is as good a place to gather opinions as anywhere else.

A friend and I have recently been discussing evolution, and specifically how the general public perceives it. I’d like to hear what some of you have to say on the issue, especially your reasonings for your opinion, whether for or against.

I know some people have strong opinions on the issue, so I’ll remind everyone that this is a Civil Discussion thread. I look forward to hear your thoughts and opinions.

Patently Chi-
ll Prestidig-
itator

Avatar: 128746 2011-10-09 04:24:59 -0400

[love is a dog from-
hell
]

Level 69 Troll

Celerysteve is incredible... he is just so... so incredible.

every time this topic comes up, i am shocked to find out how many people don’t believe in evolution. the thing is that, because its called “the theory of evolution”, most people believe that it hasn’t been proven (see most creationists who actually bring up this argument), but the fact of the matter is that it has been proven by modern science.

man-man

Avatar: 156485 2010-01-24 16:36:14 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Selfish fine upstanding member of society

I don’t see it as a matter of belief – populations change genetically over time, that’s the fact of evolution (it can be observed and measured, it’s undeniable fact).

The theory of evolution exists to explain how that change occurs, describe the mechanisms underlying the process, and to allow us to make predictions regarding what other observations we might make of evolving populations.

Rage_****

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 69 Troll

I AM SURPRISED THAT THIS WEBSITE IS STILL AROUND

Yes, I do believe in evolution. Apart from the so called theory (In which I also firmly believe), no one with a basic sense of science and common sense can deny that even the world has shaped the beings living on it. Look at the animal’s habitats, and at all of the different human beings in our world!

People at Antarctica have smaller noses so they don’t freeze; There are more dark skinned people at the tropical countries than in other places of the world, and so many other examples of it.

People adapt naturally to their living conditions. Every day is a day when we evolve, and I think there are no arguments to counter this when it’s so obvious.

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

man-man Posted:

I don’t see it as a matter of belief – populations change genetically over time, that’s the fact of evolution (it can be observed and measured, it’s undeniable fact).

This. Maybe it’s an American thing, not too many people in Europe doubt about evolution at all. Nobody gave a **** about Richard Dawkins and his atheist mission and creationism actually being offered as an alternative in the states to evolution shows what’s wrong in the U.S. of A. imo. Nuke the bible belt or something.

sdgrbbum09

Avatar: 165234 2015-08-12 01:30:51 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 69 Troll

I AM A BOVINE bum BAR

On one side, you have rich, pretentious, over-educated white people who say that everything started when a blob of **** in the middle of the universe that contained everything in the universe blew up and scattered said **** all over the universe which over a few billion years magically formed the earth (which is around 4.5 billion years old or so) and over billions of years, we evolved from fish.

On the other side, you have most of America; middle to lower clbum, less formally educated people who believe that about 5,000-10,000 years ago, some all-powerful, all-knowing presence just went “POOF” and bam, everything.

Both options sound like bull**** to me.

Patently Chi-
ll Prestidig-
itator

Avatar: 128746 2011-10-09 04:24:59 -0400

[love is a dog from-
hell
]

Level 69 Troll

Celerysteve is incredible... he is just so... so incredible.

sdgrbbum09 Posted:

On one side, you have rich, pretentious, over-educated white people who say that everything started when a blob of **** in the middle of the universe that contained everything in the universe blew up and scattered said **** all over the universe which over a few billion years magically formed the earth (which is around 4.5 billion years old or so) and over billions of years, we evolved from fish.

On the other side, you have most of America; middle to lower clbum, less formally educated people who believe that about 5,000-10,000 years ago, some all-powerful, all-knowing presence just went “POOF” and bam, everything.

itt sdgrbbum09 mixes evolutionism and the big bang theory for no good reason whatsoever

sdgrbbum09

Avatar: 165234 2015-08-12 01:30:51 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 69 Troll

I AM A BOVINE bum BAR

Professor Commie PhD Posted:

itt sdgrbbum09 mixes evolutionism and the big bang theory for no good reason whatsoever

Fiiiiine, I’ll fix it.

sdgrbbum09 Posted:

over billions of years, we evolved from fish.

There.

man-man

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

sdgrbbum09 Posted:

over billions of years, we evolved from fish.

and?

We’re really very similar to fish – basic body plan of a spine down the middle, a head at one end and some limbs branching off is shared. You need some modification to the way a fish breaths to allow it to leave the water, and there are some other difficulties with locomotion and reproduction, but nothing inconceivable.

If you wanted to cite something that really sounds unbelievable (because it occurred over a span of time that’s far beyond the scale a human mind is equipped to think about) then you’d have to go for all life on Earth evolving from a unicellular organism.

I’m the nth cousin of the banana I ate earlier, where n is an extremely large number. Also the nth cousin of the tree outside my window, and the chicken in the fridge. Different n in each case, but it’s all one family tree. Log in to see images!

Ricket

Avatar: 4300 2011-11-01 00:56:47 -0400

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Troll

Good poster, upvoted. Also loves juicy balls (no homo).

man-man Posted:

The theory of evolution exists to explain how that change occurs, describe the mechanisms underlying the process, and to allow us to make predictions regarding what other observations we might make of evolving populations.

man-manLog in to see images!Ricket

Thanks for posting exactly what I was about to as I read the title of this thread.

sdgrbbum09 Posted:

Well obviously, if something doesn’t make sense instinctively, it can’t be how reality truly is.

Ricket edited this message on 05/24/2010 2:28PM

J4zz 4d

[eB4ss1st l0w fr3q -
Kl4n
]

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

You mean nonsense like the Earth being a globe revolving around the Sun?

plk

Avatar: 9972 2010-01-24 16:28:42 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

Lol, I wouldn’t call it “belief,” but yes, I think that the theory of evolution has been pretty well confirmed. I also “believe” in physics, chemistry, mathematics, and sometimes grammar. If that helps.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

I believe that I’m not going to let myself get dragged into this discussion again.

Catloaf

Avatar: 183147 2010-04-18 05:32:51 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 4 Camwhore

“Like a Virgin”

i em evolutin at its fineest

man-man

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

MC Banhammer Posted:

I believe that I’m not going to let myself get dragged into this discussion again.

But it’s such a great discussion, how can you not love hearing all the same things over and over again? Log in to see images!

Now, some further contribution to stoke the fire advance the discussion… for anyone on the fence about whether they “believe in” evolution. Do we agree that heritable traits exist? (that children, broadly speaking, tend to resemble their parents more than they resemble random other members of the species) Do we agree that variation exists? (that different members of a population differ from one another) Finally, do we agree that there exist differences in fitness? (that some traits better equip an individual to survive, thrive and eventually breed than do other alternative traits)

If you agree that those three things exist, then evolution by natural selection is the logical consequence – variation means that different individuals have different traits, those with the better traits will survive and breed in greater numbers, their offspring will to some degree inherit those traits. That produces a changed population generation by generation – evolution. No explanation of the origin of life or the origin of the universe required; the theory is only concerned with how living things change, not where they come from.

Add to that some knowledge of genetics and you get the mechanism by which traits are pbumed between generations (genes in the gametes) and the mechanism by which variation is continually generated in the gene pool (mutation), and the only other required element is vast spans of time for mutation to produce advantageous new genes and selection to act to increase the prevalence of those genes.

If you don’t agree with any of the above, please make yourself known and form an orderly queue to be hit with the knowledge stick.

Drakodan

Avatar: 57623 2010-05-29 20:03:09 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Surfing the Tubes

Absolutely. People who deny it simply refuse to accept it, for whatever reason.

At times, its blatantly obvious in nature. Look at the Zebra. Black and white stripes. Why? It’s camoflauge. How exactly is black and white camoflauge? Because Lions are colourblind.

Nature at its finest.

UnlimitedTyy-
ppi

Avatar: 217173 2009-11-18 08:46:15 -0500

Level 69 Hacker

“Trojan Horse Magnum”

I agree with pretty much everything here. The theory of evolution is as much a theory as the theory that I(as all of us) die at some point. I mean there are almost 7 billion humans still alive, so clearly mortality hasn´t been proven 100 percent. Only thing that´s for sure is that 99.995%(random %) of humans have died, so it is just very probable that everyone dies, but not certain by any means.

NeoVid

Avatar: 174653 Fri May 22 01:54:45 -0400 2009

[WeChall]

Level 63 Troll

“Flame Retarded”

I said yes, even though I don’t actually believe in it, as you don’t have to believe in things that are demonstrably true.

Seriously, when the Vatican Science Council doesn’t oppose it, you’d have to be pretty obsessed to keep arguing.

And it’s a lot easier to accept than a lot of the things we know are true these days, like the fact that the ground supporting your weight right now is 99% empty space.

This has been a good week for science in general. We now know why the universe is mostly made of matter, and we managed teleportation with 89% fidelity. Feels good to know humanity’s advancing, you know…

NeoVid edited this message on 05/24/2010 4:44PM

Inconnu

Avatar: 48966 2011-07-31 19:36:53 -0400

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Camwhore

Qui est cette chienne

Drakodan Posted:

Look at the Zebra. Black and white stripes. Why? It’s camoflauge. How exactly is black and white camoflauge? Because Lions are colourblind.

cool, didn’t know that

mterek

Avatar: 192622 2009-09-24 16:39:01 -0400

[mahjong]

Level 69 Re-Re

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$

man-man Posted:

If you wanted to cite something that really sounds unbelievable (because it occurred over a span of time that’s far beyond the scale a human mind is equipped to think about) then you’d have to go for all life on Earth evolving from a unicellular organism.

Single celled eukaryotes → multi-celled eukaryotes isn’t that hard to believe. Some prokaryotes also aggregate and specialize functions in films.

Prokaryotes to eukaryotes isn’t all that far fetched either when one understands how organelles arose.

The real problem is how some inorganic gbumes, metals, non-metals and halogens mixed with lightning and water somehow produced prokaryotes.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!