Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Business A better way to fix Itembuildr

Dunatis

Avatar: 78885 2011-11-01 01:20:41 -0400

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

quangntenemy Posted:

I think the easiest way is to put a quota on downvoting. Each user can only downvote like 10% of the submissions. So only terrible submissions get wiped.

Also, WHEEEEEEE!!!

Or something where for every 2 downvotes, you have to upvote 1 or pbum on 2. Yes there are a lot of bad choices sometimes but some of them WILL be chosen. As such you have to choose which ones are worse than other ones and can’t just down vote everything.

Might not matter as much in Forumbuildr but in Itembuildr where all submissions happen at once it will help prevent all of them from disappearing.

Fingerz

Avatar: 22863 2010-11-15 01:15:51 -0500

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 35 Emo Kid

A neverhasbeen

Possibly a Cabbage Posted:

This is ForumWarz, if the question is “Have we fixed X yet?” the answer is most likely “no”.

Think I can buy BP and get it fixed? Log in to see images!

HAY ET HOW MANY BP DO I HAVE TO BUY TO GET DOWNVOTING REMOVED FROM ITEMBUILDR??

Samildanach

Avatar: 143751 Tue May 19 21:18:21 -0400 2009

Level 34 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

Fingerz Posted:

Think I can buy BP and get it fixed? Log in to see images!

HAY ET HOW MANY BP DO I HAVE TO BUY TO GET DOWNVOTING REMOVED FROM ITEMBUILDR??

Well…

dobnits Posted:

I could not agree with you more.

As such, I am stickying this to see if the community has any good ways to fix this problem.

Please keep it on topic.

I think what the idea was to get more people to throw other suggestions out there, or at least discuss the ones already up there, in the hopes of getting something to stick. Might take a couple days, and more people will have to actually, y’know, speak up.

SPEAK UP PEOPLE!

drussthebrit-
ishbastard

Avatar: 61156 Fri Jan 09 16:01:01 -0500 2009

Level 68 Troll

Finest upstanding member of society, ever!

Stupid idea imo.

Not trolling, being serious. Stupid idea.

baou30

Avatar: 138741 Fri Mar 27 19:20:32 -0400 2009

Level 21 Emo Kid

I lol'd a little. :bigbarf:

Inorite?

I have awesome ideas, I get like 5 votes, then next thing you know.

BAM.

-7. Log in to see images!

Samildanach

Level 34 Hacker

drussthebritishbastard Posted:

Stupid idea imo.

Not trolling, being serious. Stupid idea.

Since you’re being serious, how about… y’know, explaining why you think that and what a better solution might be?

Samildanach

Level 34 Hacker

It might be a good day to bump this thread, methinks.

LordMorbid

[Fallen Knights Hon-
or Guard
]

Level 36 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

I agree with everyone who said do away with down-voting on Item Buildr and Forum Builder, although I do understand the reasoning behind why they were implemented in the first place, but the problem is that abuse will still continue either way, and if down-voting is done away with, at least some people won’t be as frustrated. To better level the playing field in Forum Builder, how about just giving everyone like 3 submissions per week, regardless of builder score? Navigating through all the submissions can be a royal pain in the bum though, but ehh…

Samildanach

Level 34 Hacker

LordMorbid Posted:

I agree with everyone who said do away with down-voting on Item Buildr and Forum Builder, although I do understand the reasoning behind why they were implemented in the first place, but the problem is that abuse will still continue either way, and if down-voting is done away with, at least some people won’t be as frustrated. To better level the playing field in Forum Builder, how about just giving everyone like 3 submissions per week, regardless of builder score? Navigating through all the submissions can be a royal pain in the bum though, but ehh…

Giving everyone the same number of suggestions is a p bad idea, IMHO. People who regularly write good submissions should get to make more submissions, that’s fine and dandy and it means a higher volume of good to bad ideas. It’s just that, instead of a linear “Get 2 more submissions because you had X many good ideas this week”, there should be a curve on submissions, based on how many submissions the “average” player should get. What we need is a limited equation that makes it harder and harder to get more submissions as your count climbs, and easier to lose them. Truly bad players should bottom out to one submission quickly, and high-score buildrs who flood mediocre ideas should lose submissions quickly. It should take constantly good performance to maintain a “high” submission count.

Kittysan

Level 40 Re-Re

I'm a fabulous person who goes back on Dom ties

I agree with removing downvoting for both contests, or at least putting limits on that.

I believe I dedicate my time to write something funny before I submit it. Okay, they may not be rolling-on-the-floor-laughing funny, but at least they should make you chuckle. And yet, I mostly end up with negative scores; some 4-5 upvotes, but more downvotes. Now I have the Buildr Score of -2. This is very tiresome and discouraging.

I thought I’m being targetted by malicious players. And then I realized that it can’t be, because all items are submitted anonymously. No one can target just my submissions.

That is correct. It’s not just my submissions; they target everyone’s who isn’t their friends.

This is vote rigging, and it is seriously unfair. The system needs change.

Kittysan edited this message on 05/12/2009 4:02PM

Fingerz

Avatar: 22863 2010-11-15 01:15:51 -0500

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 35 Emo Kid

A neverhasbeen

Voting update:

Should Downvoting in Itembuildr be eliminated altogether?

Results:

No.: 17

Yes, but also get rid of downvoting in Forumbuildr, imo: 44

Yes.: 35

That’s 79 out of 96 total voters who believe that downvoting should be removed from itembuildr. Can we fix it now?

Jubbles

Avatar: 24099 2011-10-31 20:24:56 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Camwhore

I went almost four years without a custom title and all I got was this custom title. Also, male reproductive organs.

It definitely needs a fix when all of the remaining submissions are trolling the module itself.

Edit: Or, you know, its creator.

Jubbles edited this message on 05/16/2009 8:05PM

quangntenemy

Avatar: 14557 2011-10-31 11:07:55 -0400

[WeChall]

Level 69 Troll

:ronpaul: :****ing sucks:

This image submission says it all:

IceDragon

Avatar: 139404 Wed Jun 03 16:41:17 -0400 2009

Level 69 Hacker

“Trojan Horse Magnum”

Jubbles Posted:

It definitely needs a fix when all of the remaining submissions are trolling the module itself.

Edit: Or, you know, its creator.

But I thought this was a satiric game about trolling? Now I’m confused

Jubbles

Avatar: 24099 2011-10-31 20:24:56 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Camwhore

I went almost four years without a custom title and all I got was this custom title. Also, male reproductive organs.

While that is true, items in use should remain “in-character,” as it were. If the anti-Bashy forums were disqualified from being the next forum build, then should anti-itembuildr items not also be so?

Samildanach

Level 34 Hacker

Jubbles Posted:

While that is true, items in use should remain “in-character,” as it were. If the anti-Bashy forums were disqualified from being the next forum build, then should anti-itembuildr items not also be so?

At the very least, they could clever it up with some BattleThreadz/ItemConstructr cover to keep on edge of the fourth wall.

TracerX

Avatar: 35886 Thu May 28 16:11:04 -0400 2009

Level 23 Camwhore

“The Lady is a Tramp”

I’m relatively new to buildr, but my main frustration is with voting on images moreso than writing submissions.

In Itembuildr especially, I don’t think image submissions should disappear within the first hour of voting. It takes more time to create image submissions, or find and crop them from a stock photo site, so you don’t have to worry about too many image submissions to the degree that you worry about writing submissions. Maybe there could be a set time to cut the dreck and eliminate anything with a score of -5 or lower. Possibly at a quarter or half of the time available for voting?

Also, it is my opinion that we should only be voting on thumbnails and not 200 x 200 images in Itembuildr. At 93 x 93, a lot of details in the full size image disappear. Take, for example, the other day when we were voting on images for the clit ring. The winning picture was at 200 x 200 a lovely photograph of female genitalia, and you could see the ring. But at 93 x 93, the actual size it’s going to be seen at in the item shop ever after, you can’t see the ring at all and can barely tell it’s a cameltoe you are looking at. It completely fails from an interface perspective because the image doesn’t read well at the smaller size. And looking at the items in the Itembuildr co-op shop, this seems to happen a lot.

batgrenade24-

Level 64 Troll

“Flame Retarded”

How about just one vote per account per item. I mean most people just vote up one submission and downvote/pbum on all the others so why not just eliminate the downvote/pbum and make it a straight tally.

Samildanach

Level 34 Hacker

batgrenade2442 Posted:

most people just vote up one submission and downvote/pbum on all the others

On what, exactly do you base this? I vote up the ideas I think are funny. I pbum on the ideas I don’t find funny but think others might. I downvote the jokes that are ****.

I think you’re making some unwarranted bumumptions, here.

All the same, I tend to agree with the idea of one vote per user, rather than one vote per account. That makes a lot more sense, since I doubt many people are going through all the submissions in all their accounts anyway, unless specifically to game the system.

-MLF-

Avatar: 83146 Sun Jan 18 18:56:12 -0500 2009

Level 60 Hacker

“Cracking Addict”

Samildanach Posted:

On what, exactly do you base this? I vote up the ideas I think are funny. I pbum on the ideas I don’t find funny but think others might. I downvote the jokes that are ****.

I think you’re making some unwarranted bumumptions, here.

It’s happened plenty of times that people, will upload a submission, then go through page by page, downvoting every other submission to try to push theirs up.

Eliminating downvoting would solve this problem.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!