Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Help Hackers and Technologically Gifted Folks, HELPPP

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

Ok, I’m not STUPID, but I’m also not brilliant when it comes to computers. That being said, I’m currently having problems that I’ve never even heard of before.

My internet, regardless of whether it’s landline or wireless, works fine. MSN works, etc. However, after maybe 20 minutes of interneting, my browsers will completely cease to work.

INTERNET still works, cuz MSN still works, or if I have say, a Runescape window open, it won’t disconnect me.

But the browsers won’t load any new pages (I’ve tried IE, FireFox, Safari, and Chrome; all do it.)

It’s really getting to be a hbumle; it used to only happen every couple hours but now like I said I can only stay online for like 20 minutes before being forced to restart.

I have AVG, ZoneAlarm, Ad Aware, and SpyBot, so it shouldn’t be a virus or something. I do scans regularly, etc, and my computer is very, very fast. I also have had a string of technological issues with this computer before, (it’s a Dell XPS m1530, bought last June) and Dell has replaced the processor, heat sink, and motherboard at no cost to myself already.

What the hell do I do? I’m honestly stumped. I tried un-installing and re-installing FireFox to no avail.

HELP

Wylin

Avatar: 19712 Thu Mar 26 21:15:20 -0400 2009

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Causing Jealousy On The Internet On A Daily Basis.

What do you mean MSN works even while this is happening?

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Wylin Posted:

What do you mean MSN works even while this is happening?

I mean like, any/all browsers will say “Page cannot load” or “server not responding.”

Meanwhile I’m still able to talk on MSN without a problem.

mLegion

Avatar: 152056 Tue Mar 24 15:22:55 -0400 2009

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

check firewall for any rules concerning port 80, or mayhap your isp is ****ing up

Wylin

Avatar: 19712 Thu Mar 26 21:15:20 -0400 2009

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Causing Jealousy On The Internet On A Daily Basis.

Shii Posted:

I mean like, any/all browsers will say “Page cannot load” or “server not responding.”

Meanwhile I’m still able to talk on MSN without a problem.

Oh, you’re talking about msn messanger not msn.com.. I get it. Have you tried turning everything like zone alarm and your security things off when this is happening?

lol i had to stop using zone alarma long time ago even though i used it for years

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Wylin Posted:

Oh, you’re talking about msn messanger not msn.com.. I get it. Have you tried turning everything like zone alarm and your security things off when this is happening?

They just shut down again, and I turned off both AVG and ZoneAlarm, and it still said Could Not Connect to Server at www.forumwarz.com.

And even if it WAS them, wouldn’t that prevent me from ever accessing the browsers? I don’t get why it’s fine for a period of time then it all just stops.

____

Avatar: 143340 Fri Mar 27 18:24:34 -0400 2009

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Just clean the PC case and format C: already.

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

____ Posted:

Just clean the PC case and format C: already.

That’s what I’m gonna probably end up doing, but I have no way to back up my crap at the moment.

CreepPipe

Avatar: 4204 2010-01-24 16:18:28 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 69 Troll

MOOOOOS ARE BELOW ME

By any chance are you on a Mac?

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

CreepPipe Posted:

By any chance are you on a Mac?

No, I’m on a Dell XPS m1530, as I stated in the OP.

I used to have a MacBook Pro, but it was even worse.

post a hjt log

____

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Shii Posted:

That’s what I’m gonna probably end up doing, but I have no way to back up my crap at the moment.

Make a partition in the HD and drop your files there?

I can’t believe you don’t have a dvd burner or something similar.

PS: Lol Dells, next time build your own PC.

____ edited this message on 03/25/2009 1:14AM

back them up to a thumb drive

switch to linux Log in to see images!

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

____ Posted:

Make a partition in the HD and drop your files there?

I can’t believe you don’t have a dvd burner or something similar.

PS: Lol Dells, next time build your own PC.

What makes you think I didn’t? I got a lot of better stuff put in my PC. It’s got 4gb of RAM and 220gb hard drive, among other gaming stuff.

Also, I mean, I COULD use DVDs, or flash drives, but I’d rather find a solution that doesn’t require paying money for backup materials.

CreepPipe

Avatar: 4204 2010-01-24 16:18:28 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 69 Troll

MOOOOOS ARE BELOW ME

Shii Posted:

No, I’m on a Dell XPS m1530, as I stated in the OP.

I used to have a MacBook Pro, but it was even worse.

Sorry didn’t read full OP just skimmed it, that’s why I asked if it was a Mac. They are kind of notorious for network errors after installing software updates.

You might want to try either reinstalling drivers for both ethernet port and wireless cards or doing a System Restore to the last time you remember your computers network connection running at what you find to be optimal.

Although that’s just a minor chance of evading the problem in all reality.

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

1337xxxlolololxxx1337 Posted:

back them up to a thumb drive

switch to linux Log in to see images!

I’m not tech savvy enough for linux. :-/

Balloon

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

Inflate my ovaries until they pop out of me and float away

Is it under warranty? If so, call up Dell. And get something to occupy your time will you wait for them to pick up the phone.

____

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Shii Posted:

What makes you think I didn’t? I got a lot of better stuff put in my PC. It’s got 4gb of RAM and 220gb hard drive, among other gaming stuff.

Also, I mean, I COULD use DVDs, or flash drives, but I’d rather find a solution that doesn’t require paying money for backup materials.

Really? I have 150gbs of my HD used, and I’d like to backup maybe 1gb. The rest is easily reinstalled/obtained. Also, DVDs cost cents man.

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Balloon Posted:

Is it under warranty? If so, call up Dell. And get something to occupy your time will you wait for them to pick up the phone.

Seriously, I’ve called them about this computer so many times. After 3 calls, like I said in the OP, I finally convinced them they shipped me a faulty computer and they sent a tech to my house to replace the heat sink, the motherboard, and the processor for free.

It was fine for a while, then this weird internet crap started up.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!