Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Contest CLOSED: Balloons Sexy hacker contest revisited.

Balloon

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

Inflate my ovaries until they pop out of me and float away

It’s already happened. The reference guide was a clue. Not a great clue, but it was one nevertheless. I cannot tell you what reference guide it is except that it’s not in-game forumwarz. It is something that is accessible to everyone.

Balloon edited this message on 12/28/2008 12:43AM

Swordo

Avatar: 98179 Sun Dec 28 20:31:34 -0500 2008

Level 25 Troll

“Dick in a Box”

Does the first clue need the use of the Caesar Shift to decode it?

zagerblag

Avatar: 102042 Wed Jun 03 22:55:29 -0400 2009

[Board of Directors]

Level 35 Hacker

asdf

Is it a physical reference guide, a virtual one, the phrase “a reference guide” or some variant thereof, or something else?

Balloon

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

Swordo Posted:

Does the first clue need the use of the Caesar Shift to decode it?

You mean like a ROT13. No. But good try there.

zagerblag Posted:

Is it a physical reference guide, a virtual one, the phrase “a reference guide” or some variant thereof, or something else?

It is physical. But like all things you can find it on the internet. And the code is not based on the phrase.

Professor Fa-
lken

Avatar: 81434 2009-10-14 08:47:28 -0400

[team awesome face]

Level 69 Hacker

“Trojan Horse Magnum”

GAH.

Alright. If I haven’t figured this out by tomorrow, I’ll give up. Or go crazy. Maybe both. Log in to see images!

zagerblag

[Board of Directors]

Level 35 Hacker

asdf

Can you please give us some sort of hint regarding which reference guide you’re referring to? I don’t think there are any particularly notable ones that we would know to look at first. I hope you just mean something like an ASCII or EBCDIC (another character encoding) lookup chart. Your statement that the guide is physical seems to suggest that we should be looking for a specific guide, but if it can also be found online (legally), then either

1) it’s really old,

2) it’s one of the few books (re)published online before its copyright expired (or maybe a periodical with free online archives or something),

3) or we need generic information that can safely be put online without breaking any copyrights.

You’re probably laughing at my wild, probably inaccurate speculation for a simple online contest in which only a few people have expressed interest and for which the prize is merely minor in-game benefits in an obscure browser-based video game that barely has any content, but instead artificially boosts the time necessary to play that content (I like long sentences (and parenthetical comments (and nested parentheses (and self-reference (come on, give us some hints))))).

zagerblag edited this message on 12/28/2008 3:51PM

Balloon

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

Hmmm, your post has a point but it’s very difficult to find a hint to direct you towards the guide. Let me try different hints to aid you:

For Challenge #2:

It forms a question (that means it does spell something out).

Figure out what the numbers mean before you do any subtracting… and you don’t really need ANY math skills whatsoever.

The code is atypical, so generic approaches will not yield a result.

As for benefits… what more would you want? Actual cash? All I can do is award 3bp.

Balloon

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

Challenge 1 completed: Professor Falken, Swordo, Zagerblag, Quantumenergy

Challenge 2 completed: –

Challenge #1 Hint: Don’t think forward.

Challenge #2 Hint: As for a reference guide, you will find something between the years 1840- 1900 but is still in use today. Note: there may be an extra letter in there, but still readable.

Balloon edited this message on 12/29/2008 1:37PM

zagerblag

[Board of Directors]

Level 35 Hacker

asdf

You seriously expect us to know which 19th century reference guide you picked and how it relates to your ciphertext. Is this some sort of inside reference that only your friends would get? I hope you aren’t using some sort of book cipher (where numbers refer to words or letters in a book (or other textual material), and with a long enough book, it’s impossible to crack without guessing the book).

EDIT: ****, sorry, I think I accidentally posted the solution to number 1. I didn’t actually try what I posted before posting it. Am I disqualified?

zagerblag edited this message on 12/29/2008 3:54AM

zagerblag

[Board of Directors]

Level 35 Hacker

asdf

I hope your initial dates were wrong (1840-1900, if it turns out they were wrong and you edit your post to not have them any more). Preferably off by precisely a century too early.

Balloon

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

No, my initial dates are not wrong. I said it is still in use to day. And how about this… I’m sure everyone here has seen it at least once in their life. I know I’ve seen it many times.

FalCoN

Avatar: 10741 2010-01-24 16:21:30 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

I NEVER LEFT FORUMWARZ

Balloon Posted:

No, my initial dates are not wrong. I said it is still in use to day. And how about this… I’m sure everyone here has seen it at least once in their life. I know I’ve seen it many times.

Is there anything you have not seen in your life yet? Log in to see images!

CaptainDDL

Avatar: 34340 2009-09-30 16:41:31 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 63 Troll

Fran's Beautiful Lover XOXOXOXOXO

Heh, I have a pretty guess as to what the book is, and I’m not even playing. Amateurs. Log in to see images!

Balloon

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

FalCoN Posted:

Is there anything you have not seen in your life yet? Log in to see images!

A pink cow.

zagerblag

[Board of Directors]

Level 35 Hacker

asdf

Is it standard high school reading material?

zagerblag

[Board of Directors]

Level 35 Hacker

asdf

Is it standard high school reading material?

EDIT: Double-posted due to bad internet connection. Wireless keeps disconnecting.

zagerblag edited this message on 12/29/2008 3:24PM

The Holy Fail

Avatar: 100917 Sat Jan 17 01:25:32 -0500 2009

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Wait a minute.

The Holy Fail edited this message on 12/29/2008 3:28PM

Balloon

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

Yeah, you can find it in any high school. And thanks for trying to squeeze every hint you can out of me.

zagerblag

[Board of Directors]

Level 35 Hacker

asdf

Dictionary? Encyclopedia? Thesaurus? Textbook? Sex-ed thingy? Atlas? I don’t know what to look for. I suspect that our high-schools had very different libraries. Can you tell me what the book is for?

zagerblag

[Board of Directors]

Level 35 Hacker

asdf

Can you give us any hints about the encoding? You gave us one for Challenge 1. I’d love to know what to do with the minus signs and parentheses. Do we just evaluate expressions like 68-(77-53)?

EDIT: What I’d like to know most is what the book is for.

EDIT 2: Is the reference periodically updated, like Britannica or Worldbook? Would it spoil the whole thing if you simply told us what reference guide we need?

zagerblag edited this message on 12/29/2008 6:20PM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!