Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Business MockMarket™: A ForumWarz Exchange

Raepdog

Avatar: 57155 2011-07-31 00:44:38 -0400

[To Your Scattered -
Raepdogs Go
]

Level 35 Camwhore

We are foe.

i eet ure sol Posted:

So if this idea is used, about when will it be finished?

You have to say his name three times. Evil Trout, Evil Trout, Evil Trout.

7VibratingLa-
ngston

Avatar: 64688 Sun Oct 19 21:42:40 -0400 2008

[To Your Scattered -
Raepdogs Go
]

Level 33 Troll

“Permafail”

Raepdog Posted:

You have to say his name three times. Evil Trout, Evil Trout, Evil Trout.

Evil_Trout, Evil Trout, Trout Evil.

AtomicScript-
er

Avatar: 64129 Thu Oct 16 17:05:30 -0400 2008

[Haxxorz Hell]

Level 33 Hacker

This Stays On The Internet

7VibratingRaepdogs Posted:

Evil_Trout, Evil Trout, Trout Evil.

Wicked Bbum, Mean Bream, Devilish Carp

AtomicScript-
er

[Haxxorz Hell]

Level 33 Hacker

AtomicScripter Posted:

Wicked Bbum, Mean Bream, Devilish Carp

Epic win 4 me Log in to see images!

FalCoN

Avatar: 10741 2010-01-24 16:21:30 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

I NEVER LEFT FORUMWARZ

Okay, so here are my thoughts regarding this superawesome topic. First of all, I don’t think that it would be that much fun if the MockMarket™ would depend on the real stock market too much. I’d really prefer FW-based stocks.

But there are some things you have to think about. The main issue: Making it work just like a real stock market would simply not work properly. The FW userbase is not big enough for that. Keep in mind that a real stock market would require a buyer to sell stock. It would also be quite easy to heavily influence the MockMarket™ by working as a Klan/group. By saying ‘quite easy’, I mean ‘simpler than simple’, and by saying ‘heavily influence’, I mean ‘totally **** up’. The whole idea would not work. This means that the stock prices really should be fixed and not solely be influenced by player interactions with the MockMarket™.

However, it definitely should be possible to actively influence the stock value. Well, this is a major aspect why MockMarket™ would be so much fun. Therefore, I would base all stocks on ForumWarz statistics. Great examples for stocks could be a Gamble-Bot stock that relies on the amount of money earned by Gamble-Bot on a particular day (or in the last X hours (X = 24?) if you want to use very quick trading (intraday trading)). Or a Hoychel stock that relies on the amount of Flezz earned by successful jobs (remember, Hoychel even tells you how much percent of the bonus he gets, I think it was 80-85%). Or stocks for FW stores. Or stocks that rely on forumbuildr upvotes. Or flamebate postings. Or particular forums. Or stocks for each Klan that has more than X members (X = 20?) that take into account how much Flezz the Klan members have and/or how many scoops they earned or whatever. However, don’t make too many stocks of course, this would make it way too complicated (no player stocks or something like that).

Having this as the basic set, you could also consider making more complex stocks (just like funds in the real world) to increase the fun. For example a Sentrillion stock which depends 40% on Gamble-Bot, 20% on total Flezz earned this day, 10% on sold junk in the Ppwn Shoppe, 10% on the number of forumbuildr submissions, 10% on the YouBoob forum and 10% on Google’s stock value. And so on.

So the whole stock market would be dynamic and dependant on players’ actions inside of ForumWarz. You could in fact influence the stock prices by your activity. But: You wouldn’t be able to totally crash MockMarket™ by buying insane amounts of stock and then sell it. Well, this doesn’t mean that sell/buy stats cannot influence MockMarket™ at all. You could (and actually I really like this idea) let the actual stock transactions also have influence on the price of the stock, however not like in a real market, but as one of the factors while players can buy and sell stock just when they want to. For example, you could say that the stock transactions in the last X hours (X = 24?) influence up to 10% or 20% of the stock value. This would mean that if theoretically absolutely everybody would sell all their Sentrillion stock, the value would decrease by 20% (but not become equal to zero). Of course, you’d need some fine adjustment, but I am pretty confident that it would be possible to implement something like that – and it would be perfect!

This is how a perfect MockMarket™ should look like. Log in to see images! FalCoN edited this message on 10/30/2008 11:11AM

i eet ure sol

Level 31 Troll

“Permafail”

FalCoN Posted:

Okay, so here are my thoughts regarding this superawesome topic. First of all, I don’t think that it would be that much fun if the MockMarket™ would depend on the real stock market too much. I’d really prefer FW-based stocks.

But there are some things you have to think about. The main issue: Making it work just like a real stock market would simply not work properly. The FW userbase is not big enough for that. Keep in mind that a real stock market would require a buyer to sell stock. It would also be quite easy to heavily influence the MockMarket™ by working as a Klan/group. By saying ‘quite easy’, I mean ‘simpler than simple’, and by saying ‘heavily influence’, I mean ‘totally **** up’. The whole idea would not work. This means that the stock prices really should be fixed and not solely be influenced by player interactions with the MockMarket™.

However, it definitely should be possible to actively influence the stock value. Well, this is a major aspect why MockMarket™ would be so much fun. Therefore, I would base all stocks on ForumWarz statistics. Great examples for stocks could be a Gamble-Bot stock that relies on the amount of money earned by Gamble-Bot on a particular day (or in the last X hours (X = 24?) if you want to use very quick trading (intraday trading)). Or a Hoychel stock that relies on the amount of Flezz earned by successful jobs (remember, Hoychel even tells you how much percent of the bonus he gets, I think it was 80-85%). Or stocks for FW stores. Or stocks that rely on forumbuildr upvotes. Or flamebate postings. Or particular forums. Or stocks for each Klan that has more than X members (X = 20?) that take into account how much Flezz the Klan members have and/or how many scoops they earned or whatever. However, don’t make too many stocks of course, this would make it way too complicated (no player stocks or something like that).

Having this as the basic set, you could also consider making more complex stocks (just like funds in the real world) to increase the fun. For example a Sentrillion stock which depends 40% on Gamble-Bot, 20% on total Flezz earned this day, 10% on sold junk in the Ppwn Shoppe, 10% on the number of forumbuildr submissions, 10% on the YouBoob forum and 10% on Google’s stock value. And so on.

So the whole stock market would be dynamic and dependant on players’ actions inside of ForumWarz. You could in fact influence the stock prices by your activity. But: You wouldn’t be able to totally crash MockMarket™ by buying insane amounts of stock and then sell it. Well, this doesn’t mean that sell/buy stats cannot influence MockMarket™ at all. You could (and actually I really like this idea) let the actual stock transactions also have influence on the price of the stock, however not like in a real market, but as one of the factors while players can buy and sell stock just when they want to. For example, you could say that the stock transactions in the last X hours (X = 24?) influence up to 10% or 20% of the stock value. This would mean that if theoretically absolutely everybody would sell all their Sentrillion stock, the value would decrease by 20% (but not become equal to zero). Of course, you’d need some fine adjustment, but I am pretty confident that it would be possible to implement something like that – and it would be perfect!

This is how a perfect MockMarket™ should look like. Log in to see images!

You have thought much more on the specifics than we did. The percents look fine to me, but if they have a flaw, it can be fixed later.

However, your post it is tl; almost dr.

i eet ure sol edited this message on 10/30/2008 6:02PM

AtomicScript-
er

[Haxxorz Hell]

Level 33 Hacker

FalCoN Posted:

This is how a perfect MockMarket™ should look like. Log in to see images!

...no. No outside factors. Just a stock market. That’s it.

AtomicScript-
er

[Haxxorz Hell]

Level 33 Hacker

So… ET didn’t scrap this idea, did he?

Britpoptarts

Avatar: 28416 Thu Oct 30 23:16:06 -0400 2008

[Fighting bumolinos]

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

I am amazed that this thread got to seven pages without a single “NASDIC” joke.

Oh. Dang. Log in to see images!

Perhaps stock values could go up depending on which forums are being PWNed most frequently? Most of the lower-level forums aren’t parodies of companies, so there wouldn’t be TOO much of a slant towards Ep One fora.

Or, perhaps it can be tied to Hoyschel’s jobs, the timed ones that my sloooow connection doesn’t give me much of a chance to trounce. Log in to see images!

Anything to add MOAR playability while waiting for moar visits each day or between episodes would be killer.

AtomicScript-
er

[Haxxorz Hell]

Level 33 Hacker

Britpoptarts Posted:

I am amazed that this thread got to seven pages without a single “NASDIC” joke.

Oh. Dang. Log in to see images!

Perhaps stock values could go up depending on which forums are being PWNed most frequently? Most of the lower-level forums aren’t parodies of companies, so there wouldn’t be TOO much of a slant towards Ep One fora.

Or, perhaps it can be tied to Hoyschel’s jobs, the timed ones that my sloooow connection doesn’t give me much of a chance to trounce. Log in to see images!

Anything to add MOAR playability while waiting for moar visits each day or between episodes would be killer.

That’s exactly what I’m saying, the more times a forum is PWNed in a week or so, the more the stocks are worth.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!