Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
PC Games Criedquake: Dwarf Fortress, Short Bus.

Veer

Avatar: 2059 Thu Nov 13 08:18:14 -0500 2008

[Team Shortbus]

Level 32 Troll

my only complaint is that you people are happy

Succession:

1. Veer

2. Crayoncakes

3. BirdofPrey

4. iIRZ

From the desk of “Veer” Mörullogem, Scribe of Criedquake

It began that one Winter night. Obsidian 27, I think. I can’t remember. I get a letter, some gilded pretty looking thing from the King. The ****ing King. We’re talking ruler of Mountainhome. Nonetheless, it was an edict to go out and form a new colony in order to promote something or other I can’t remember right now. That’s not important. What is important is that this place is hell.

So, I gather up seven of my buddies, and we’re going off to find the perfect spot. And lo’ behold, we find this spot of paradise.

It’s beautiful, I cry. We’re planning to leave, and we get a Royal Guard come to our door. He gives another one of those gilded letters, and it’s more instructions, this time from the Captain of the Guard. It’s a map of the region, with some place marked off. Kind of like this.

I see it, and my first reaction is “no ****ing way.” Look at that ****. No trees, no plants, just dirt and rock. I don’t think there’s water either. Christ. But orders are orders, and we embark. We ditch the Anvil and the axes, and bring a ****load of meats and logs. I think we’ll need everything.

When we get there, the first thing I commission are large areas for the stockpiles. All the general goods and **** are gonna be up top. Can’t see a flaw in there.

The tunnel there’s a cunning strategic ploy. Not only is it a low-traffic area for the most part, but it allows me to chain traps and the like. This place is… calm, though, so I think we should be fine for now.

Meanwhile, the Mason grabs control over everything when I’m not paying attention.

Due to my lack of caring, I simply claim the Bookkeeper position, and plan to create a private quarters at some point for myself.

Bedrooms are next.

They’ll do for now. I’ll get someone on smoothing out that horribly jagged rock. It’s a safety hazard, really.

When I’m not paying attention, the hunter hurts his right hand. I didn’t see anything out there though, so I bumume the clumsy idiot tripped or something. It was about this time I was informed we had no buckets, so I had the craftsmen get to work on that. Oh, a quick look at the Crafting area.

Farm set up and producing Plump Helmets, and there’s a food stockpile there up top.

So, back to that hunter, he’s in bed, and I’ve made some buckets. However, there’s one mbumive problem.

****. This place is hell.

Well, that bastard’s likely not to make it though the coming summer. Which is a pain in the bum. Gotta get through the year with only six dwarves, and hope I’ve got enough alcohol to stay alive.

Right, moving on, I’ve commissioned a great Dining Hall and my own private offices, which will house my dining room, my bedroom, and my workspace.

During excavation, we’ve discovered milk quartz and pineapple opal. I’ve created a Jeweler’s Station to use these gems to further glorify my furniture.

And here we are now. It’s Summer First, and I’ve just finished this log of the first season. God, I don’t think we’re going to make it. **** you, Captain of the Guard. Up to this point, we’ve been too busy to create a name for this place, but I’ve come up with the ideal one now that I have a moment to break.

Welcome to Criedquake.

Veer edited this message on 07/14/2008 4:41AM

BirdofPrey

Avatar: 2037 Sun May 10 02:46:48 -0400 2009

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

I lick her up afterwards (After her great times session too! Yum!)

epicness

FAIL

Avatar: 36735 2015-06-13 23:04:37 -0400

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 25 Re-Re

Head of the Ministry of Man bumes

in before ****ty graphics comment

iIRZ

[Team Shortbus]

Level 7 Troll

iIRZ is a funny fine upstanding member of society, which is to say that he did WTC and your mom

p. much just close every other thread we have reached peak thread right here

Veer

[Team Shortbus]

Level 32 Troll

Looking back at this summer, it was rather… uneventful. Thus, I’ll note everything small down for anyone who wishes to know.

The hunter’s now screaming for water. Actually, he’s rasping, so I guess it’s not that bad.

Finally finished up my office, and I started work on making these stocks less… pathetic. Honestly, we can’t count over 10?

The hunter died at last. God, when we start being attacked this is going to suck. His body was left in the bed, due to a lack of space. I tried to get the dwarves to move it to the Refuse pile, but they just stared at me in shock. I guess I should stick to bookkeeping.

Discovered excess animals in Criedquake. Decided to keep the donkeys and the dogs, so that they could breed. Marked the others for slaughter.

Carved out both my crypt and the Commoner’s Graveyard, and found sand. This could prove problematic, as I was planning on creating a line of crypts in that region. Considering expanding the shaft.

Hunter buried, but all his clothing was left in his room. No one dares take it. I think I’ll keep that room vacant.

Low on fish, and I doubt we’ll have it again for a long time. It’s a shame. We have a good deal of drink though, so we can survive the Winter, I think.

Irritated by the copious amounts of rocks and the idlers, I decided to establish a dump here, where the trash can be flung into the hole.

Horse struck down: his bones and meat will be useful.

Thwarted by lack of doors. Considering murdering the Mason for his stupidity, but with only 6 dwarves violence is not the right course.

Created an order for doors. That’ll keep the ****er busy.

The engraver works fast. Good man, though there’s still a large amount of stone to be smoothed and later engraved.

Paper filing is taking a long time.

A furniture excess forced me to expand the stockpile. It’s all that damn Mason’s fault. If he steps out of line again, he will know punishment.

Veer

[Team Shortbus]

Level 32 Troll

Laid claim to the position of Broker. My influence grows.

Established a Trade Depot due to the inevitable need for wood and ores.

God damn it, Architecture?

I wisely decided to simply design the building myself. I would herald it as a step forward in Dwarven design throughout the ages. If you must know, the design is known as “Stone’s Death in Red, Part Two.”

My tomb is set. I will include detailed instructions for my burial, which is to only be read when my heart has stopped beating.

The 27th Day of Galena: The Mason creates some masterpiece. Naturally, I decide to see what all the fuss is about.

Needless to say, I am far less than impressed.

And that was Summer.

Honestly, a dreary month, marked only by the Mason’s stupidity and the death of the hunter, who was doomed from the moment he tripped and broke his hand. Including a financial report for the end of Summer.

One last thing I’ve realized: Winter is not the cruel mistress I might have expected. Right now, the sun beats down on us unnaturally, and no one can stand to go outside for long. There is no water for Winter to deny us, and the only thing it can give is the cold, a welcome gift.

I’ve outlawed going outside for the time being. With only 6 dwarves, we’ll have to draw in tight.

Veer edited this message on 07/10/2008 6:19AM

Veer

[Team Shortbus]

Level 32 Troll

On second thought, let’s let the bastards wander around outside. I don’t care.

A baby donkey is born. I quickly erect a cage to prevent the baby from forming any emotional bonds, so I can slaughter it later.

In an effort to reduce the amount of rubble in the incomplete Great Hall, I create a Mason’s Shop. Plus, the location lets me keep an eye on the prick.

To increase my efforts, I suspend all work at the old shop. Let’s see him avoid me now, that prick.

The dining area is set, and I allow congregations. Hopefully I’ll stop getting complaints now.

While doing routine checks of all the facilities, I come upon this unbuilt kitchen. Noting the small population, I let the building sit unused for now.

There appears to be no time for simple cooking. We’ll have to eat our Plump Helmets raw, damnit.

Although the others proclaim how talented this Mason is, I can’t see what’s so great. It’s just rock. And god damn it, just when I’m sure he’s all talented out…

It turned out to be another damn door. I decided to not bother looking at this one.

Then, I was informed of this.

Bloody hell, I say. Why? It’s outside, and there’s ****ing nothing out here. The Mason points this out to me.

I throw him out of my office and seethe at my ignorance, before going out there to build the damn thing myself. Once it’s designed, I decide to simply leave the labor to the Mason. Snickering, I mark it for Masonry and high-tail it out of there.

The puppy was promptly tossed into a cage, if you’re curious.

A few days later, I found the Liason wandering around, aimlessly. I am not sure what he was doing, but I know it’s the Mason’s responsibility to deal with this male reproductive organsucker. I hope he goes insane and rips his head off.

Once the Depot’s completed, I load in all the clothing of the deceased and begin to bargain. However, something happens I wasn’t expecting.

My ignorance of appraising leads to a total lack of knowledge about prices. In shock, I immediately flee back to my offices in order to study, but fail to find any way to do so. Curses.

In other news, I have discovered the Mason at his old workshop. It seems he has simply begun skipping around on the orders, bypbuming the suspended one. I decide to try another measure.

It succeeded, and the Mason quickly scampered to a meeting. He brought me logs of all his requests, which I looked over.

Accepted: We do need wood.

Denied: There is no metal ore I can find, nor is there fuel. Useless.

Accepted: Hammers are an excellent weapon, and lack of metal makes it so we must import.

Accepted: God damn, I love Quarry Bushes.

The Mason’s good choices for the most part cheered me up, and going through the Door count, I was even more pleased. It seems the work order has been completed to the full.

Everything was going so well. I felt… exuberant. I flew through the papers, understanding each one, absorbing their knowledge, marking everything perfectly. I had achieved a state of… perfection. This state of joy quickly subsided when I remembered that I was stranded in a ****ing desert with five other dwarves, one whom I despised. But the understanding remained.

Wish I kept the euphoria, though.

BirdofPrey

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

how the **** did you get so tough?

crayoncakes

[Team Shortbus]

Level 31 Troll

To Earthend and beyond!

BirdofPrey Posted:

how the **** did you get so tough?

Dwarven accounting

Veer

[Team Shortbus]

Level 32 Troll

My good man, it takes endurance to file through that many papers. Holy ****, are they mind-numbing.

Continuing on.

I’ve got a miner who insists on doing nothing, so I decided to carve out some more bedrooms. Just in case.

In the process, he discovers a pretty blue stone. Appears to be kimberlite, but I’ve got no clue what to do with it. It’ll show up in some stone stuff, I guess.

I finished the bookkeeping, thanks to my brilliance in shuffling papers around. Now we have an exact measurement of everything. In later years, they will praise me.

Dwarves gave me a list of what they want. Yeah, we’ll deliver on that. Ahahah.

And then, out of the ****ing blue. Holy ****, this is ****ing brilliant. Oh god, YES.

Ahahha, poor ****s. Welcome to Criedquake, have a seat over by the lack of water and plants. I started handing out new jobs. This Trapper is now a Hunter.

Giving him a war dog this time. Hope that’ll keep him alive longer.

Two useless metalworkers rolled in, so I threw new jobs at them. There’s no metal here, idiots. Why did you come here?

With a new Mason, I get a workshop right near the bedrooms. It’ll help clear out this ****ing mess of rocks so I can get some dwarves in.

Around that time, the Engraver finished my room. It’s a beautiful thing, I have to admit.

Here’s a bit of photography. It’s a hunter and his loyal War Dog chasing after a warthog. Lots of action here.

The warthog is cornered! Oh goodness!

And in a stunning anticlimax, it flees. God damn it, Hunter, you’re useless.

As I planned to earlier, I begin a long chasm to see how far the sand goes.

It goes quite far.

Frustrated, I decide to expand the shaft in a different direction.

A conclusion of the Autumn report forthcoming.

Veer

[Team Shortbus]

Level 32 Troll

In unrelated news, the Mason has created some new guild he calls the Freemasons. I do not trust him. On the bright side, the orders are almost done.

To remove the monopoly on stone, I had an idler take up Engineering. He cooks too, which is certainly an interesting duality of career choices.

And then… it was Winter. That’s pretty much it. Writing this now, it seems naïve to think that the rest of the year would be plain, but that’s what I thought. The only notable thing during Autumn was an immigration influx and a mbumive production of stone goods. Every bedroom is equipped with a bed, a door, and a complimentary cabinet courtesy of my economic skills. The financial report has been lost, confiscated by the Freemasons. Damn them to hell.

To hell, Earthtames. To hell.

Veer

[Team Shortbus]

Level 32 Troll

This is my final journal. After this, I am relinquishing my control over domestic affairs to whichever poor sap wants them. I hate this place, and I plan to hide in my wonderful office until it all goes away.

Winter began on a sour note.

Yes, the Hunter injured himself. This has happened before. But, he’s a manly man, right? He doesn’t have to go whining to a bed, does h

Well, christ, he’s a goner. My first impulse upon hearing the news?

In addition to coffins, cabinets have been created for every dwarf. I’ve stated this earlier, but I’ve submitted a blueprint of the area for further proof. Hopefully next year they’ll be drawn to the promise of Free Bed, Free Door, Free Cabinet.

As for the orders, the 30 cabinets are reaching completion. Oddly enough, the tables and chairs are still underway. Damn the Freemason.

Suddenly, Kobolds.

They made off with two articles of clothing left in the Trade Depot outside. Not very picky idiots, I suppose.

And it begins.

I’ve set up traps along the entry way. This should discourage most attackers, at least for a while.

Expanded the furniture area yet again. It seems the Freemason’s Guild is far too productive. It’s pretty damned annoying.

In lieu of the records being pristine, I’ve decided to take up Stonecrafting to pbum the time. The outpost liason wanted toys, and I’ll sure as hell deliver ‘em to all the little dwarf children.

The Freemasons have done it again. I’ve found out why the Furniture Stockpile is so full.

They created 30 statues. 30! From rock! God damn, this is so ****ing useless that I

Oh god, they’ve put them in my office.

I’ve tried to get them out, but there’s no room anywhere.

Damn you to hell, Freemason.

Late Winter’s struck, and we’re unable to continue growing Plump Helmets. This is troubling, but I doubt we’ll die from a month of no Plump Helmets.

It won’t be long for the Hunter.

... and unexpectedly, he dies. His body is tossed into a coffin.

Touchingly enough, his dog remains loyal to him, even in death.

Waste of an animal. I’ve condemned it.

Good to see that my Butcher doesn’t ask questions. Good man.

Veer edited this message on 07/14/2008 4:36AM

Veer

[Team Shortbus]

Level 32 Troll

I’ve finished my tenure here as the leader. I’m staying in my office and making toys until I die. There’s no way in hell I’m going to fight. I’ve submitting an application for the position of Sheriff, should it come up though. I plan to deal with the Freemasons once a police department opens up. Their troublemaking has gone on long enough, but I can’t do a thing.

As for the Fortress, I’ve come a long way. I was sure we were all dead, but I’ve carved out a nice hole in the ground for us. Enough food and drink for a while, and good workers too.

I’ve started another noble bedroom suite, just in case.

Weapon and armor stockpiles, and a Barracks.

Created a Tanner’s Workshop, though we don’t actually have one yet. I suppose we’ll need one at some point.

And I’m done. That is the end of my reign. God forgive whoever takes this position up next.

crayoncakes

[Team Shortbus]

Level 31 Troll

To Earthend and beyond!

From the journal of Crayon Cakebeard Regomet:

I guess my story starts about two seasons before this spring. I was a young fisherdwarf, finally ready to leave the Mountainhomes and migrate to a brand new settlement. It was a great honor to be in the first group of migrants, and we even had an audience with the King. He showed us a map of the area, a beautiful place.

And then, just as we were about to leave, the Captain of the Guard came to us and told us there’d been a change of plans. We were to go to Criedquake, far away from our original bumignment.

Well, the area looks a little dry, but surely they wouldn’t have sent a fisherdwarf to an area with no water at all. I’m sure if I walk all the way down the stairs there’ll be an underground river or someth-

Well, ****. Rúbal protect me, how did they expect any dwarf to live like this?

At least I had this sweet room.

I worked at Criedquake for two seasons, doing jobs here and there. The dwarf in charge, Veer Mörullogem, was an odd man who seemed to prefer staying in his office, filing. There are some who say he shuffled paperwork so hard he unlocked eldritch secrets, using them to empower his own body… Anyway, he was an odd man, always seeming tightly strung, although at the time the rest of us bumumed it was just the stress of running the fortress.

One fine day, as the fortress was celebrating the first day of spring, I saw Mr. Mörullogem wandering the halls, muttering to himself about how his “term was up”. His eyes seemed to light up as I walked over to him: I bumumed that perhaps he’d decided to become more social with the other dwarves. This turned out to be false, as the bastard slammed his ledgerbook into the side of my head, knocking me against the smooth stone wall. As everything went black, I heard him cackle “YOU deal with the fortress, sucker!” and run off.

When I finally awoke, Mörullogem had locked himself in his private quarters again. Looking the ledger, it seemed that his contract only required him to run the fortress for one year, after which he was authorized to hand off his duties to the dwarf of his choosing. Which, apparently, was me.

...****.

When I had come to terms with my misfortune, I decided that we had to make some changes around the fort. For example, we’d been living with nothing but a hallway and some traps to protect us. What kind of dwarf lives like that? I gave the order to start building some fortifications. When complete, this will allow us to shoot from inside the fort out at our enemies. I’ve also ordered the nearby trees to be cut down and boulders smoothed to make trade easier. Later, I may start work on a moat, but for now the miners are needed elsewhere.

New bedrooms! Hopefully we can attract a few more workers to this godsforsaken place. I’ve also decided to practice engraving. I hear it helps cut down on stress if you’re able to express your feelings through art.

We’re also building a few scattered cage traps in hopes of capturing the local camels in order to tame and breed them. More food/leather/bone sources are always helpful.

And in what feels like a miracle, our only wardog gave birth! Mörullogem had ordered the last male wardog slaughtered before I took over, so this is very good for the future of the fortress. Perhaps the female had been impregnated before the male was killed. Perhaps this is some sort of divine event, sanctioned by Rúbal in thanks for my worship even in this waterless land, and these puppies are some kind of holy dog. In any case, I won’t be slaughtering them.

We had a huge cloud of miasma go off, caused by a rotting hide, but this was quickly fixed by creating a separate refuse pile for everything but bones, shells, and skulls.

Things were fairly quiet for a while, except for a wild party thrown by a planter.

And then…

MIGRANTS Log in to see images!

Holy kobold ****, look at all of them! I think the fortress has doubled in size! We’re big enough to have a sheriff now, although I’ll put that off for now. I’d like us to be a little more stable before dealing with a third noble’s commands.

The amount of rooms available isn’t quite enough, although we have them carved out already, at least.

And we’re expanding industry, too, in order to employ the newcomers.

The fortifications are coming along nicely, although I won’t feel totally safe until we’ve got it all around us, along with a moat and bridges hooked up to a lever. Still, it’s difficult to build so much when the mason is needed to make doors and tables too.

In any case, things seem to be going smoothly. Food is low, but we have enough to feed ourselves, we’re making quite a few trade goods, the fortress is growing… Why, the only thing that could **** us up now is if we had a dwarf go crazy or somethi-

And so ends spring.

crayoncakes

[Team Shortbus]

Level 31 Troll

To Earthend and beyond!

Log in to see images! Okay so I’ve finished my part and sent the save to BoP, but I don’t want to post my report until the second page, since there’s waaay too many images on this page alone and loading them all is annoying.

CAN WE GET FIVE MORE POSTS OR SO???

ANGRY HOBO

Avatar: 49150 Tue Aug 11 01:43:48 -0400 2009

Level 28 Emo Kid

lmbo i gave this account and now its full of people :D bye all this game is ****....................

Good luck with the game (4 posts to page 2)

BirdofPrey

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

whoa! I DON’T KNOW IF I’M READY FOR THIS. I’ll play some tonight.

crayoncakes

[Team Shortbus]

Level 31 Troll

To Earthend and beyond!

Oh, also, when we run out of people what are we going to do? Cycle back around or try to get extra players or what? I mean bumuming it survives and all.

I don’t mind bringing in some non-TSB people that are interested if you guys don’t.

ANGRY HOBO

Avatar: 49150 Tue Aug 11 01:43:48 -0400 2009

Level 28 Emo Kid

lmbo i gave this account and now its full of people :D bye all this game is ****....................

This is really a nice game.

FAIL

Avatar: 36735 2015-06-13 23:04:37 -0400

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 25 Re-Re

Head of the Ministry of Man bumes

next page!

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!