Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion

Viewing a Post

man-man

Avatar: 156485 2010-01-24 16:36:14 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Selfish fine upstanding member of society

There are better bumaults on Creationism specifically, but pulling the rug with an argument against the existence of god also works… I’d like to see a god that can create anything whilst not existing.

Heh… reminds me of a parody of the “Greatest Conceivable Being” (aka Ontological) argument. The original argument says that god is the greatest conceivable being, and that it is greater to exist than to not exist, so therefore god must necessarily exist. It’s horribly flawed in a lot of ways, but the parody is quite neat too:

If god is the greatest conceivable being, then his creation (of the universe) must be the greatest conceivable creation. We measure the greatness of created things (e.g. works of art) by how difficult it is to create them, the skill demonstrated in creation, and the merits of the resulting creation. It is far more difficult to create something when you do not exist than when you do exist, therefore for the universe to be the greatest conceivable creation, and hence for god to be the greatest conceivable being, god must not exist.

—————

[EDIT] I saw your point better the second time I read it; an argument against god on the basis of incompatible traits (the omni’s) only works if you believe in a god with those traits, so you could still be a creationist by believing in a different god.

If I wanted to refute you from that position I’d look to the other arguments against creationism. That or ask what kind of god you do believe in, to form an argument against that kind of god existing.

man-man edited this message on 07/11/2009 4:35PM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!