Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion

Viewing a Post

Leechbait

Avatar: 38669 Mon Nov 03 13:38:26 -0500 2008

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 30 Troll

“Permafail”

TahJeeFuh246 Posted:

My question was actually direct to IRL issues, Wyl. Many of my images are jpegs, and I’d like to know just what it is that happens to them that causes them to degrade.

not all compression algorithms save information perfectly in order to get better performance or speed

this is called lossy compression and is used by jpg and mp3 among other formats

lossless compression gives better quality especially over repeated decompression/compression

so dont re-edit jpgs if you have a choice keep an editable copy in a lossless form like psd if you are using photoshop

but like i said lossless compression tends to make larger files and can even create files larger than the original data if the data is arranged badly for the algorithm

for a comparison take a wav (generally uncompressed an huge) and convert it to mp3 and to flac and see the difference

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!