Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Poll Eliminate downvoting altogether: only let us upvote

DEAD fabulous person

Avatar: 21099 Wed Jul 08 18:09:49 -0400 2009

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 35 Camwhore

AAA++++!!! WOULD BUY AGAIN!!!

Sancdar Posted:

But downvoting doesn’t increase your chances of getting chocolate, nor is chocolate currently a competitive part of Domination. The players who are very intense about Domination don’t care about the 1 scoop they might stop you from getting with their downvote — we deal in dozens of scoops at a time. I really think downvote waves are from people who think your idea sucks, not people who are trying to somehow gain chocolate through negative votes.

Also, pbum has been in there for AGES. Next to every submission, too!

So my submissions are perfect on monday and start to suck a couple of days later? I’m pretty much a newb at this part of the game, so I’m just looking for an explanation on the pattern.

Sancdar

[Team Shortbus]

Level 50 Camwhore

LCC club

The more submissions there are, the less creative the submission base on a whole seems. You might remember such forumbuildr highlights as 4 separate Duckroll enemies for Memebusters, all with the same avatar. Since entries are displayed in a random order, you’ve got worse odds at seeming fresh and funny by the middle of the week.

That sure makes a lot more sense than some conspiracy to downvote ideas for no logical reason.

DEAD fabulous person

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 35 Camwhore

Thanks for the logical explanation, no need for the ever so subtle insults to my intelligence though.

DEAD fabulous person

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 35 Camwhore

You know what? I’m quitting this thread. I try to make a suggestion, and if people think it sucks, that’s fine. But the first reply is already like “ur just whining cuz u don’t get scoops” where I never mentioned those, and now I’m being accused of being a conspiracy theorist just because I see a pattern that I cannot immediately explain.

But by all means, do continue making cheap stabs at me, I won’t bother to read them though. Apparently, it’s impossible to have a constructive exchange of ideas hereLog in to see images!

Sancdar

[Team Shortbus]

Level 50 Camwhore

LCC club

People keep thinking I’m flaming them when I’m just being a little over-the-top. The “chocolate-scoop-fueled-downvotes” theory has come up quite a number of times, including twice in this thread. I think I’ve even posted it before. It really does feel like a conspiracy in the middle of every week when your 2-3 scoop entries get nuked to -5 in the space of a few hours. I’ve been taking a break from forumbuildr because I was getting ****ed off at the effect.

Also being overly sensitive (read: bumhurt) about people thinking your motives are at least partially Domination-related is a little silly. You’re in the Klan most hated for its aggressively competitive stances. You’re leading in the top bracket because you spend hours and hours doing meaningless tasks for Domination power. You’ve made a thread about medals. Etc, etc. I’m sure people take my rejection of the 5-scoop AF limit to be personally-motivated for the same reasons, even though I’ve been saying for weeks that AF should be changed somehow.

Sancdar edited this message on 04/30/2008 7:50AM

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

Your original post . . .

topic.

What do you think? If we eliminate the down arrow that means:

-No one can vote down competing submissions;

That would be a given result of the situation.

-All submissions get positive scores encouraging users to contribute;

Those who are seriously interested in contributing to Forumbuildr will do so regardless. While it could benefit some of those good ideas out there that get hit with a wave of downvotes at the wrong time, I believe the only people this would actually encourage are those interested in adding a few chocolate scoops to their tally.

-Controversial submissions that people are more opinionated about (vote on) get an advantage over bland vanilla run-of-the-mill crap.

How on earth does leaving all the awful/bland/repetitive/copied stuff in the voting pool, clogging up the categories, help make the good submissions stand out? When I read that it seemed like you actually want to discourage players from legetimate voting. Facing 200 – 300 items per category? If you don’t log in right away on Sunday/Monday it would result in those numbers. How would this be of benefit except to help manipulate a situation of upvoting a certain category to gain scoops within a group of friends or a klan?

There have already been several threads about those who always downvote and those who always upvote. The “pbum” option was an answer for those entries that were on the middle ground, giving people an option besides “down” if the idea wasn’t super, but not too bad. Since most everything you mentioned had been covered several times and the only real visible result would in fact be more scoops across the board, I gave you the benefit of the doubt and didn’t think you were actually looking to try to manipulate the entire voting system via klan voting abuse and suggested that scoops were a consideration behind your ideas. It seems reasonable since you came up with the idea the day after it was announced that antifreeze would be nerfed. Sorry if that was a bad bumumption.

scully edited this message on 04/30/2008 8:11AM

DEAD fabulous person

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 35 Camwhore

I do get some chocolate now, and I’d like more of course! But I’m thinking more along the lines of improving my submissions than any “fix” of some sort. I’m in a disadvantageous position because my English is comparatively poor, but I take that as a challenge. Anyway, sorry for getting all emo on you guys, I got the answers I was looking for and I’ve changed my mind.

Thread deadLog in to see images!

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

Sancdar Posted:

I’m sure people take my rejection of the 5-scoop AF limit to be personally-motivated for the same reasons, even though I’ve been saying for weeks that AF should be changed somehow.

I don’t know that anyone thinks that of you. You’ve been pretty vocal about thinking antifreeze should be changed. I recall you talking about it back when vanilla was still the topic of the day. I think everyone understood that you just didn’t think a flat limit was the best answer. I think most agree and would rather see a different permanent solution, but that something needs to be done immediately to prevent people from feeling that there is no point in playing Domination.

Pluvius

Avatar: 10089 2010-01-24 16:29:03 -0500

[ClansRGay]

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

If anything is fueling downvotes towards successful submissions, it’s the timestamp that shows when the submission was posted. That probably draws griefers like flies on ****, and doesn’t serve any useful purpose that I can see.

To be fair, the only good reason to allow downvoting itself is to keep the number of submissions manageable, otherwise the pbum bumon would be sufficient. But that’s a pretty damn good reason and I can’t think of any other efficient way of culling the submission pool.

zaphod_puppy-
_325

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

I like the idea of removing downvotes. The only drawback is that sucky submissions would not get removed quickly.

You could change the system so that downvotes were impossible, but you’d need a certain amount of upvotes each day (3-5?) , or the submission would get killed as if it got a -5 under the current system. Would lead to a system that removes ****ty suggestion quite quickly and is rather hard to grief.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

What about a second screen on which you’d see votes below the -5 threshold which you haven’t voted on? On that screen it would only allow for upvoting and pbum. This would allow good suggestions which have been griefed a chance to get back up from the people who actually care about the quality of submission.

Amasius

Avatar: 21158 2015-06-13 23:07:57 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

OMFG! It is MY bum!

MC Banhammer Posted:

What about a second screen on which you’d see votes below the -5 threshold which you haven’t voted on? On that screen it would only allow for upvoting and pbum. This would allow good suggestions which have been griefed a chance to get back up from the people who actually care about the quality of submission.

Excellent suggestion. I’d really like to see this, at least for logo designs and styles. Most of those are downvoted to fast and there isn’t much remaining.

Socopsycho

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Well if everyone is throwing around accusations about the scoops and saying we need the downvote to eliminate the crap submissions…

Why not eliminate the downvote so the people who are insecure about their own submissions lack of originality can’t go nuts downvoting decent submissions. But so the scoops stay tough to get make it a score of 15 or 20 to get a scoop. Then if your submissions score stays under say, 10 for the first 24 hours let it be eliminated. Then prioritize submissions with a score under 10 first on the voting pages so they have a fair chance at getting to a safe score. Or something like that.. People with no lives and low self esteem really do take advantage of the downvote system, so some kind of change would be nice…

*prepares to be flamed by all the neophobiacs*

DEAD fabulous person

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 35 Camwhore

Please stop bumping this terrible thread!

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!