Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Movies Ben Stein's "Expelled"

Marcos El Ma-
lo

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Anansi Posted:

Marcos, he was mostly a crazy old kook. Except when he was young, at which point he was a crazy young kook.

Your point being?

Anansi

[Arsenal of Ninjacr-
acy
]

Level 69 Troll

Resident Psychoanalyst

Marcos, I think he gets too caught up in nonsense like that 8-circuit model of consciousness to be really interesting.

However, the phrase “irrational rationality” appeals to me very much. After all, a raging hard-on for skepticism is unhealthy if it lasts for more than four hours.

Marcos El Ma-
lo

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Anansi Posted:

Marcos, I think he gets too caught up in nonsense like that 8-circuit model of consciousness to be really interesting.

However, the phrase “irrational rationality” appeals to me very much. After all, a raging hard-on for skepticism is unhealthy if it lasts for more than four hours.

LOL@Leary’s 8-circuit model.

Dude, you just haven’t taken enough acid (yet). Leary didn’t invent the 8-circuit model. It was handed to him. I’ve seen the SOURCE. IT WAS REAL. Real enough. Not as real as the IRS, though.

nanalatinoje-
sus gets you-
JUSTICE IN -
YOUR FORUMS

Avatar: nanalatinojesus gets you JUSTICE IN YOUR FORUMS's

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 26 Troll

I SHOULD POST MORE BUT I DON'T BECAUSE YOU'RE ALL REALLY LAME

Marcos El Malo Posted:

[ooc] Nana, you seem like the sort of person who would be aware of the writings of R.A.W.. Have you ever checked out any of his stuff on agnosticism, irrational rationality, and probabilities? [/ooc]

SMASH BLAK WHOLES11111111

i’ve heard his name a few times, though I’ve never read any of his stuff.

anything you recommend?

Marcos El Ma-
lo

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

nanafabulous personjesus Posted:

i’ve heard his name a few times, though I’ve never read any of his stuff.

anything you recommend?

The Illuminatus! Trilogy (with Robert Shea)

1) The Eye in the Pyramid

2) The Golden Apple

3) Leviathan

Is a good start. You could probably plow thru it in a weekend pretty easily.

nanalatinoje-
sus gets you-
JUSTICE IN -
YOUR FORUMS

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 26 Troll

Marcos El Malo Posted:

The Illuminatus! Trilogy (with Robert Shea)

1) The Eye in the Pyramid

2) The Golden Apple

3) Leviathan

Is a good start. You could probably plow thru it in a weekend pretty easily.

Oh lol, I actually have that book. I just never got around to reading it. Log in to see images!

BUT NOW I WILL

MizMoon

Level 7 Camwhore

“Training Broad”

Ben Stein has lost a lot of cool points for making this movie – I mean, c’mon, the man is an absolute genius but, unfortunately, science and -any- religion should be kept distinctly separate. When I was Pre-Med, if my teacher had tried to tell me that God created the atom, and that the Earth is only 5,000 years old, and, on top of that, was created in a literal “Seven-Day Genesis Week” I’d have walked out of that University and never returned.

Mudkips Acro-
nym

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

MizMoon Posted:

I mean, c’mon, the man is an absolute genius

huh i thought he was just some guy that had a really boring voice

SirIsaac

[Team Shortbus]

Level 9 Troll

WHSOutcast at gmail dot com

Ben Stein isn’t a genius. Why would he let people win his money all of the time?

Anyway, I was watching a Ben Stein interview about this movie, and this is what he said…

“This is just an opinion… But I think science leads you to killing people.”

This movie is for everyone who agrees with him.

nanalatinoje-
sus gets you-
JUSTICE IN -
YOUR FORUMS

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 26 Troll

This thread reminded me of how stupid L2 is.

Thingysomeone

Level 27 Camwhore

I have worst ****ing ideas in the entire world!

I don’t understand how ID is Creationism (At least new-earth creationism) hidden. Basically, how I see it, ID says “Evolution happened, but God made it happen, and he decided how it happened.” This doesn’t say that evolutionary proof is false, it just says it isn’t a valid argument against God’s existence. A good way to think of it is with the old quote, “When technology becomes high enough, it is indistinguishable from magic.” God is probably a scientist of some sort, and figured out how to make and control little universes, one of which we live in.

Bill_Murray_-
Fan_7383

Avatar: 7241 2011-07-31 00:42:33 -0400

[i have a thirteen inch male reproductive organ click for proof]

Level 35 Camwhore

Oh whoops, I dropped my monster condom that I use for my magnum dong

MizMoon Posted:

Ben Stein has lost a lot of cool points for making this movie – I mean, c’mon, the man is an absolute genius but, unfortunately, science and -any- religion should be kept distinctly separate. When I was Pre-Med, if my teacher had tried to tell me that God created the atom, and that the Earth is only 5,000 years old, and, on top of that, was created in a literal “Seven-Day Genesis Week” I’d have walked out of that University and never returned.

Ben Stein had some good points in the film, but he ruins it by running his own credibility through the dirt, numerous times in the film. He only interviews Darwinists to humiliate them, and the way he treats the pro-ID scientists as martyrs trying to either open a dialog or bridge ID and evolution together, on the back of the Darwinist interviews, makes it obvious he’s trying to demonize one group and glorify the other.

Then, of course, the section on eugenics is complete bull****. He treats the philosophy as a legitimate, current science (anyone with a brain will tell you that eugenics was based on a very poor understanding of hereditary science), and he butchers the Darwin quote he uses, very intentionally, to make it seem like a pro-eugenics argument. Not to mention, the entire section on the Nazis relies on the instant, negative reaction Nazism invokes.

Some of the arguments Stein makes are legitimate, but his appeal to ethos is so horrible that it’ll ultimately have a negative impact on his goals in making the film.

Ben Stein isn’t a genius. Why would he let people win his money all of the time?

Because letting people win his money makes him even more money.

Bill_Murray_Fan_7383 edited this message on 05/18/2008 7:12PM

1338h4x

Avatar: 22473 Sat Nov 29 21:01:08 -0500 2008

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 35 Troll

7 Vibrating Doldoes was never a meme

Don’t teach religion in my science clbum and I won’t go into your church and point out every single contradiction in the bible, all statements in there that have been disproven, etc etc.

And no, ID cannot be studied. There’s no way of disproving it since no matter what we do or what scientific advancements are made in the field of observing stuff, Christfabulous persons will simply put their fingers in their ears and bumert that God is invisible/intangible/undetectable and nothing we do disproves that. If it cannot be proven/disproven, it’s not science.

Heat Seeking-
Moisture Mi-
ssile

Avatar: Heat Seeking Moisture Missile's Avatar

Level 10 Troll

AKA Throbbing Thrill Hammer, Rod of God, and male reproductive organ

I have a question for those of you who have expressed the sentiment that the movie in question was “propaganda”.

I myself have not seen the movie, so I will refrain from commenting, it may very well be pure propaganda, I have no idea.

But my question is this, did you guys also, label the Michael Moore movies “propaganda”?

BirdofPrey

Avatar: 2037 Sun May 10 02:46:48 -0400 2009

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

I lick her up afterwards (After her great times session too! Yum!)

of course michael moore movies are propaganda

i don’t understand your question

Heat Seeking-
Moisture Mi-
ssile

Level 10 Troll

BirdofPrey Posted:

of course michael moore movies are propaganda

i don’t understand your question

I was just curious…that was all, no point being made, just curious.

Heat Seeking-
Moisture Mi-
ssile

Level 10 Troll

Though I willl point out that the major media has all flamed the hell out of this movie, while they lauded the Moore movies as BRILLIANT and EPIC, they call this movie propaganda, and called the Moore movies “eye opening truth”...and frankly that ****es me off.

BirdofPrey

Avatar: 2037 Sun May 10 02:46:48 -0400 2009

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

I lick her up afterwards (After her great times session too! Yum!)

fenk the evil midnight stabber Posted:

I was just curious…that was all, no point being made, just curious.

to clarify, when i say michael moore movies are propaganda i’m not saying it’s all untrue. What i’m saying is you have to realize that it’s very likely you’re not getting the full picture and take it with a degree of salt.

Heat Seeking-
Moisture Mi-
ssile

Level 10 Troll

BirdofPrey Posted:

to clarify, when i say michael moore movies are propaganda i’m not saying it’s all untrue. What i’m saying is you have to realize that it’s very likely you’re not getting the full picture and take it with a degree of salt.

On that we agree…there likely was some truth in his movies, but it comes from an extremely slante POV.

Which IMO makes it propaganda.

EDIT: And I will say this as well…by the major media NOT calling Moores movies propaganda, when clearly they are, (they are political propaganda pieces), it shows very that there is a bias, and perhaps even an agenda at work.

I am not saying “conspiracy” but there is CLEARLY a bias in the national media.

Heat Seeking Moisture Missile edited this message on 05/18/2008 7:48PM

Bill_Murray_-
Fan_7383

Avatar: 7241 2011-07-31 00:42:33 -0400

[i have a thirteen inch male reproductive organ click for proof]

Level 35 Camwhore

Oh whoops, I dropped my monster condom that I use for my magnum dong

1338h4x Posted:

Don’t teach religion in my science clbum and I won’t go into your church and point out every single contradiction in the bible, all statements in there that have been disproven, etc etc.

And no, ID cannot be studied. There’s no way of disproving it since no matter what we do or what scientific advancements are made in the field of observing stuff, Christfabulous persons will simply put their fingers in their ears and bumert that God is invisible/intangible/undetectable and nothing we do disproves that. If it cannot be proven/disproven, it’s not science.

I agree that ID and Creationism should be kept out of the science clbumroom; that’s one of the reasons we should teach introductory level culture/religions clbumes in high-school, or even middle-school, levels.

However, it’s narrow-sighted to say that it’s impossible to study ID. At the moment, it certainly is, but in the same scope, we haven’t DISPROVED ID either.

It’s not science’s place to say “We can’t study this, so we’ll ignore it.” Good science constantly searches for a way to study or measure something, then proves or disproves it from the results.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!